Green Bay Packers News 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

The Bizarro Packers.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
31 Jan 2022 16:07
The Bizarro Packers.

Isn't the record of Rodgers with a halftime lead at Lambeau something like 70-2 or something?
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
31 Jan 2022 14:48
There are several counters to the point this tweet is focusing on.

The Packers don’t go out of their way to hire accomplished ST coordinators. Instead, they seem to promote guys from within or who are buddies with the HC. It wouldn’t shock me to see Drayton fired and whoever the defensive quality control is be promoted to ST coordinator.

The author of the article even highlights many of the errors are fundamental errors. That points to coaching. And yeah, that could span multiple years of multiple crappy coaches.

FFS just find somebody who has actually done some ST coaching and give them some pieces to work with. Watching Lancaster line up misaligned and then not even get out of stance before the rusher was past him - and then he blocks the wrong guy - tells me he’s not a piece to work with. Some players clearly don’t “get it” and he clearly doesn’t.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
31 Jan 2022 18:35
Pckfn23 wrote:

The Packers don’t go out of their way to hire accomplished ST coordinators. Instead, they seem to promote guys from within or who are buddies with the HC. It wouldn’t shock me to see Drayton fired and whoever the defensive quality control is be promoted to ST coordinator.

The author of the article even highlights many of the errors are fundamental errors. That points to coaching. And yeah, that could span multiple years of multiple crappy coaches.

FFS just find somebody who has actually done some ST coaching and give them some pieces to work with. Watching Lancaster line up misaligned and then not even get out of stance before the rusher was past him - and then he blocks the wrong guy - tells me he’s not a piece to work with. Some players clearly don’t “get it” and he clearly doesn’t.
To even put Lancaster in that spot...to have not figured out that he’s not capable to do that job by this point of the season, is a firable offense and makes my blood boil.

Then i think how we only had 10 guys on the field instead of 11 to block a FG and my rage turns to tears.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

APB wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

I mostly agree with you. It is interesting that this had gone one over 2 coaching regimes and 2 GM regimes and these coordinators:
2021 - Maurice Drayton - Special teams assistant with Colts then Packers
2019-2020 - Shawn Mennenga - Special teams assistant with Browns
2015-2018 - Ron Zook - DC Gators, STC Gators, STC Steelers, DC Saints, HC Gators, HC Illini, ASTC Packers
2009-2014 - Shawn Slocum - Special teams assistant with Packers
2006-2008 - Mike Stock - Special teams assistance with Bengals, Chiefs, Redskins, Rams

Here are our rankings throughout all this:
2021 - 32
2020 - 29
2019 - 26
2018 - 32
2017 - 16
2016 - 29
2015 - 17
2014 - 32
2013 - 20
2012 - 12
2011 - ?
2010 - 29

100% is that 32 ranking on Drayton and coaching, but for some reason we haven't made special teams a priority in many years. It's not like we haven't thrown experienced coaches at it. They also have NOT hired guys that were just Packer coaches except for Slocum, everyone else had prior experience with Zook being the most experienced, but experiencing similar struggles. I didn't take the article as shift blame, more like trying to figure out when ST has been a dumpster fire for more than a decade.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 31 Jan 2022 22:44, edited 2 times in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Drayton-still a packer employee
Mennenga-unemployed, out of the league
Slocum-out of the league and back to a losing college program since leaving the packers
Zook-unemployed, out of the league post packers
Mike stock-unemployed, out of the coaching altogether

So everybody we filled the job with was either happy to get one more chance and we’re on their way of the profession, or they were so bad at their job that no one else wanted them after they left the position. Again, only one guy on the list coached at all after leaving the position, and he had to go back to college

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
31 Jan 2022 21:13
Slocum-out of the league and back to a losing college program since leaving the packers

So everybody we filled the job with was either happy to get one more chance and we’re on their way of the profession, or they were so bad at their job that no one else wanted them after they left the position. Again, only one guy on the list coached at all after leaving the position, and he had to go back to college
Zook is at Maryland.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

paco wrote:
31 Jan 2022 22:24
Drj820 wrote:

Zook is at Maryland.
Zook is the Associate head coach/defensive coordinator for the University of Maryland.
Slocum is the Associate Head Coach/Special Teams Coordinator/Outside Linebackers Coach at Arizona State University.

And Mike Stock is 82 years of age, 69 when he left us, having coached for more than 43 years.

Mennenga is the only not coaching currently or retired.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

APB wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

IMO the reason we have had lousy STs for a while is because we don't seem to value that side of the ball as much as the other 2. It was almost poetic justice that that unit was a big factor in sabotaging this season in the biggest game up to that point. A championship caliber team does not have the absolute and historically worst special teams in the league. It is ridiculous, frankly. Until this team realizes we can't win with the status quo we'll continue to have problems with ST.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

FKcXkPSWYBAuvT3.jpeg
FKcXkPSWYBAuvT3.jpeg (88.4 KiB) Viewed 565 times

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I have a hard time accepting the Packers suck at special teams because we don't have it as a priority.

We turnover coaches. We keep bottom roster guys, who are hated by fans (Jarrett Bush) solely for their STs prowess. We made Crosby one of the highest paid kickers in the league forever. We spent significant 2018 draft resources on long snapper and punter which got so much flack from fans, "you can't draft STs!!!!!" We traded for a great punter we all got excited about who ended up sucking in the cold elements anyways.

It's not lack of trying. It's just about sucking.

Look at MN. They SUCK at getting a good Oline. They use draft capital. FA capital. etc. etc. And their result is always a below average Oline. Meanwhile we plug in 3rd day draft picks and UDFAs and outperform their 1st rounders.

Teams just have identities and it sometimes requires a miracle to break that. I would like to target pure speed guys late in the draft (as a gunner) and I wouldn't mind spending a 3rd round pick on a great returner this year as I think those are really good ways to get STs going.

I know Aaron Rodgers hated Jeff Janis. But I liked him and thought he was the best thing to happen to our STs in the 2010's. I liked the drafting of McDuffie last year. Hopefully he becomes an anchor to build on.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
31 Jan 2022 22:24
Drj820 wrote:

Zook is at Maryland.
Alright so Wikipedia failed me on zook. Add another who is out of pro football and has gone done to amateur ball to continue work. I think the point still stands. Not a single coach has left that position and worked elsewhere in the league.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
01 Feb 2022 06:30
I have a hard time accepting the Packers suck at special teams because we don't have it as a priority.

We turnover coaches. We keep bottom roster guys, who are hated by fans (Jarrett Bush) solely for their STs prowess. We made Crosby one of the highest paid kickers in the league forever. We spent significant 2018 draft resources on long snapper and punter which got so much flack from fans, "you can't draft STs!!!!!" We traded for a great punter we all got excited about who ended up sucking in the cold elements anyways.

Look at MN. They SUCK at getting a good Oline. They use draft capital. FA capital. etc. etc. And their result is always a below average Oline. Meanwhile we plug in 3rd day draft picks and UDFAs and outperform their 1st rounders.

Teams just have identities and it sometimes requires a miracle to break that. I would like to target pure speed guys late in the draft (as a gunner) and I wouldn't mind spending a 3rd round pick on a great returner this year as I think those are really good ways to get STs going.

I know Aaron Rodgers hated Jeff Janis. But I liked him and thought he was the best thing to happen to our STs in the 2010's. I liked the drafting of McDuffie last year. Hopefully he becomes an anchor to build on.
we have treated ST's the way we have treated the ILB position, our Idea for years as a fix was to spend mid, to late round picks there or even less then that hoping to find a diamond amongst all the rubble, we lucked out with Campbell this year, but have not been able to do the same with ST's.

every employer I've ever known that gives a half as s try to fix a business issue fails until they take fixing that issue seriously, same problem concerning our ST's and obviously ILB, unless we keep or replace Campbell with someone as good teams will have success passing short center against us again.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
01 Feb 2022 07:18
go pak go wrote:
01 Feb 2022 06:30

we have treated ST's the way we have treated the ILB position, our Idea for years as a fix was to spend mid, to late round picks there or even less then that hoping to find a diamond amongst all the rubble, we lucked out with Campbell this year, but have not been able to do the same with ST's.

every employer I've ever known that gives a half as s try to fix a business issue fails until they take fixing that issue seriously, same problem concerning our ST's and obviously ILB, unless we keep or replace Campbell with someone as good teams will have success passing short center against us again.
So beyond cliche speak, which I really tried to get beyond and actually look at what we have done, what are you are you suggesting here?

Every team spends mid round picks on STs. The teams that "go all in" on STs are spending 5th rounders on kickers and punters and they still get blasted by fans.

The only thing we haven't done is spend a premium pick on a returner. ...except we did. Amari Rodgers with a trade up in the 3rd.

I don't buy that we haven't spent resources on STs or made it a priority. It's just the funds we have spent on it have sucked.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I think, as demonstrated by no coach working in the league after being our STs coach, that we are low balling that position and not bringing in a coach who can fix the problem, like a Rizzi.

Like the ILB position, we bring in bum after bum or old guy after old guy and get surprised when they don’t fix the problem.

I agree with yoop with his comparison to the ILB position. We got lucky with Campbell, just like we may one day get lucky with a ST coach if we continue to shop at goodwill.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
01 Feb 2022 07:53
I think, as demonstrated by no coach working in the league after being our STs coach, that we are low balling that position and not bringing in a coach who can fix the problem, like a Rizzi.

Like the ILB position, we bring in bum after bum or old guy after old guy and get surprised when they don’t fix the problem.

I agree with yoop with his comparison to the ILB position. We got lucky with Campbell, just like we may one day get lucky with a ST coach if we continue to shop at goodwill.
ya I thought that was a decent analogy, we shop at the dollar store for both st's cords and ILB's, and we keep drafted or UDA players on ST's that either wont listen to coaching, or act compulsively and cost us games.

it's my belief that when we see ST's squads that do well and play mistake free it's a reflection on coaches that force there players to pay attention to the little stuff and pound that stuff into those players, what we've seen near forever is a lack of holding players accountable for acting like idiots.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Other than the Rizzi rumor there hasn't been much evidence of this bargain basement mentality. Both Ron Zook and Mike Stock were well respected special teams coaches when they were hired. Only Shawn Slocum had no NFL experience with a team other than the Packers.

I have said this once before, but I wonder if Murphy has some hand in why this has been a decade long, at least, disaster. He may be putting a price cap on the hiring of a ST Coordinator, Rizzi rumor. He may be telling the head coaches they can not play starters, or many of them, on special teams, Lazard wanting to play, but was not allowed to. He also may be contributing to the mentality that hasn't seen a true returner drafted in many years. When it spans more than 1 coaching regime, I tend to look higher than the coach. I am not going to put it down to just "luck" or lack there of, meaning they just suck and that is the way it is.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Feb 2022 08:08
Other than the Rizzi rumor there hasn't been much evidence of this bargain basement mentality. Both Ron Zook and Mike Stock were well respected special teams coaches when they were hired. Only Shawn Slocum had no NFL experience with a team other than the Packers.

I have said this once before, but I wonder if Murphy has some hand in why this has been a decade long, at least, disaster. He may be putting a price cap on the hiring of a ST Coordinator, Rizzi rumor. He may be telling the head coaches they can not play starters, or many of them, on special teams, Lazard wanting to play, but was not allowed to. He also may be contributing to the mentality that hasn't seen a true returner drafted in many years. When it spans more than 1 coaching regime, I tend to look higher than the coach. I am not going to put it down to just "luck" or lack there of, meaning they just suck and that is the way it is.
I've thought this for a decade, just look at the hard line Ted and Ball took with UDF, and when a ST's assistant coach is a assistant for years there is a reason they have not been hired as a cord, sure some get passed over, fall through the cracks, but we feel when a assistant isn't promoted or hired to be a cord it's because they simply are not as qualified as they need to be.

The Rizzi stuff isn't a rumor, we flat out would not pay his asking price, in fact he was so insulted when the FO finally did offer his asking price he politely said NO Thanks, Ted must have lost out on at least a half doz UDF because he insulted players with low ball bids.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Rumor means it is uncertain... Did Rizzi, his agent, or someone from the Packers confirm that we offered Rizzi a low contract and that is why he did no sign with us? I am not saying it is not necessarily true, just that we don't know it for fact.
in fact he was so insulted when the FO finally did offer his asking price he politely said NO Thanks, Ted must have lost out on at least a half doz UDF because he insulted players with low ball bids.
Fabricated things again, this might turn out to be an interesting morning. I just wish we rarely conversed.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Does anyone know how much Rizzi signed for in New Orleans?
The actual rumor, spoken by Andy Herman this morning, is that Darrin Rizzi came to GB for an interview but asked for an outlandish amount because he ultimately didn't want to coach and live in cold weather so would only accept the job at above market value.

Rumor is Rizzi asked for $1.5 million according to the AcmePacking company. I have no idea how they got that information and I would question the validity of it.

But that was said this morning.
Yoop wrote: