General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I agree it worked.

I was just very surprised when I started adding it up.

We dared them to run and they passed 50 times.

Ya know what they say about the Bears, still

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

With all this chat about the defense, I highliy recommend watching Mike Pettine's interview on May 22, 2020.

As usual, Mike gets pretty detailed on his line of thinking.

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

thanks GPG, Pettine is easy to like, try's to be as transparent as possible without throwing anyone under the bus, himself included :lol:

he has to own that his attacking single gaping scheme led to about 600 yrds rushing from 3 teams, when ya don't have more then one Clark type, who also struggled, then ya should think maybe a diff approach should be tried, course just like most coaches, if you have had prior success with what your doing, it's harder to change, still when a team is taking your scheme to task, playing a little more lateral might be worth trying just for that game, specially so when using 5 or 6 DB's, and Marty in short center not knowing which empty gap to cover.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
23 May 2020 09:31
thanks GPG, Pettine is easy to like, try's to be as transparent as possible without throwing anyone under the bus, himself included :lol:

he has to own that his attacking single gaping scheme led to about 600 yrds rushing from 3 teams, when ya don't have more then one Clark type, who also struggled, then ya should think maybe a diff approach should be tried, course just like most coaches, if you have had prior success with what your doing, it's harder to change, still when a team is taking your scheme to task, playing a little more lateral might be worth trying just for that game, specially so when using 5 or 6 DB's, and Marty in short center not knowing which empty gap to cover.
Yoop those are very wise words. Wise words indeed.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
23 May 2020 12:16
Yoop wrote:

do you think I should petition for the job of defensive assistant? i work cheap :rotf:

I bet Mike has burnt the mid night candle rewatching that NFCC game with SF, not that I expect any drastic changes, but I do expect that he'll have a better plan, and the players will be better prepared to stop the run

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
23 May 2020 14:26
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

do you think I should petition for the job of defensive assistant? i work cheap :rotf:

I bet Mike has burnt the mid night candle rewatching that NFCC game with SF, not that I expect any drastic changes, but I do expect that he'll have a better plan, and the players will be better prepared to stop the run
I doubt it. The run defense was bad all season long. Nothing changed. It’s been that way for years whether under Capers or Pettine. This organization as a whole doesn’t value stopping the run. Which is odd because offensively they’ve clearly valued what the run fame can bring to an offense. They’re weak on DL outside of Clark and they’re weak at LB in general. Then you have Savage who might grow into a good player but he’s an atrocious run defender based on his college tape and rookie season.

I doubt much changes being the personnel didn’t change much.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
23 May 2020 17:26
Yoop wrote:
23 May 2020 14:26
go pak go wrote:

I doubt it. The run defense was bad all season long. Nothing changed. It’s been that way for years whether under Capers or Pettine. This organization as a whole doesn’t value stopping the run. Which is odd because offensively they’ve clearly valued what the run fame can bring to an offense. They’re weak on DL outside of Clark and they’re weak at LB in general. Then you have Savage who might grow into a good player but he’s an atrocious run defender based on his college tape and rookie season.

I doubt much changes being the personnel didn’t change much.
I found it interesting that Pettine stated the most ideal would be an ILB who could cover TE''s and RBs and also be physical enough to stop the run but his personnel didn't suit that. It was a question from Aaron Nagler (who always asks fantstic questions) who asked "why so much dime" and I thought it was relevant since Yoho brought this up.

Overall I got the impression that Pettine was more so blaming Martinez for our run stopping issues.

But I do have to vehemently disagree with your statement of our run offense being the priority. The Packers my entire lifetime outside of 2003 was always known as a pass first team. It is why we are labeled as "soft".

Also found it interesting how Pettine talked about how successful it was for Z to line up as DT and how he thinks Gary has those same characteristics.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pettine has the personnel to get lots of pressure on the qb, and to defend the deep pass. Sadly, If he can’t stop the run none of the first two qualities matter. He doesn’t necessarily have the best personnel for stopping the run in my opinion, but I also believe he has been given the tools he has requested. So it is time for him to earn his check and make a great meal out of all the ingredients he has asked for and received.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Drj820 wrote:
24 May 2020 00:10
Pettine has the personnel to get lots of pressure on the qb, and to defend the deep pass. Sadly, If he can’t stop the run none of the first two qualities matter. He doesn’t necessarily have the best personnel for stopping the run in my opinion, but I also believe he has been given the tools he has requested. So it is time for him to earn his check and make a great meal out of all the ingredients he has asked for and received.
Agree. Pettine should have enough talent to stop the run. You should not need pro bowlers across the board for that. Run D - only DL and LBs are about easiest D positions to play.

While the personnel grouping opponents field dictate D formations somewhat, there is still some choice between emphasis. If we keep fielding SS/ILB hybrids vs run-heavy game plans, I will blow a fuse.

LaFleur inherited Pettine, and some continuity was nice. But now it's really honest eval year.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I actually think our OLBs as far as run stopping and run contain are the best we have had in a long time here. As a rule, they do a great job of not allowing outside contain. Espeically Preston.
Yoop wrote:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

salmar80 wrote:
24 May 2020 02:35
Drj820 wrote:
Agree. Pettine should have enough talent to stop the run. You should not need pro bowlers across the board for that. Run D - only DL and LBs are about easiest D positions to play.

While the personnel grouping opponents field dictate D formations somewhat, there is still some choice between emphasis. If we keep fielding SS/ILB hybrids vs run-heavy game plans, I will blow a fuse.

LaFleur inherited Pettine, and some continuity was nice. But now it's really honest eval year.
You don’t need pro bowlers but you need better than Lowry and Lancaster. The front office massively over rated Lowry. He’s solid as a pass rusher for the position and is athletic but he doesn’t offer much to disrupt the run. At ILB they had nothing outside of Martinez but that’s been the Packers way for years. Just get average play from one ILB and for whatever reason they think it’s good enough. The other position was a group of bums. Amos is good as a last line of defense safety. His tackling is as sure as it gets. Can’t say the same for Savage but he was a rookie. He really needs to bulk up.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I would be interested to know if Pettine signed off on lowrys extension, as in gave him the endorsement. Or if the front office told him “here is your guy, make it work”. Because for what we paid him, there are far better run stopping DL options
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
24 May 2020 11:16
I actually think our OLBs as far as run stopping and run contain are the best we have had in a long time here. As a rule, they do a great job of not allowing outside contain. Espeically Preston.
not according to those stats 23 brought, against SF and I expect Philly to, most of the run yardage given up was outside the tackle box.

to me it's a numbers thing, a 5 man OL has 6 gaps, a 20 front fills two gaps, so your already at a huge disadvantage when asking those tackles to single gap, who's going to fill those 3 gaps, OK ya got Marty at 235lbs and the hybrids at 200 with a brick in there pocket, asking them to bang heads with 300 plus lb OL is a huge mis match.

thats why I like to two gap against dominate run teams, we'll give up a bit of pass rush against possible play action, but at least we'll help our 2nd level support, asking Martinez to stay patient till the run forms, and also avoiding second level OL blocking in the process obviously was a huge fail, and I don't think we have or brought in players that can change that, but thats Pettines and Guty's job to fix.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

And no Jordy isn't coming out of retiremment. But it is an entertaining watch. :lol: AJ Hawk is hanging out with the Nelson crew this summer as AJ's wife is helping remodel Jordy's dream home.
Yoop wrote:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Intriguing DB candidate from Canada, Marc-Antoine Dequoy, hopes to make the roster.

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-fo ... SU9QMwP3Ok

He'll be a 25-year-old rookie but has high-end athletic numbers (4.35 40, 6.65 three-cone, 37-inch vert, 10-foot/8-inch broad.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
24 May 2020 14:38
salmar80 wrote:
24 May 2020 02:35
Drj820 wrote:

You don’t need pro bowlers but you need better than Lowry and Lancaster. The front office massively over rated Lowry. He’s solid as a pass rusher for the position and is athletic but he doesn’t offer much to disrupt the run. At ILB they had nothing outside of Martinez but that’s been the Packers way for years. Just get average play from one ILB and for whatever reason they think it’s good enough. The other position was a group of bums. Amos is good as a last line of defense safety. His tackling is as sure as it gets. Can’t say the same for Savage but he was a rookie. He really needs to bulk up.
And speaking of non-Pro Bowl defensive linemen, did I just read last week that Montravius Adams got busted in Georgia for weed, no car insurance and no valid vehicle registration? Party on fellas :bkw:

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

If you change it to 2011 it is:

Points Allowed: 17th
Opp Yards: 23rd
Sacks: 8th
Takeaways: 10th
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I would imagine we are 1st in that time span for opposing points allowed by our offense. E.g., Aaron throwing pick 6’s or lack thereof.

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 May 2020 23:33
If you change it to 2011 it is:

Points Allowed: 17th
Opp Yards: 23rd
Sacks: 8th
Takeaways: 10th
Perfect rebuttal. Stats can be used to manipulate any agenda.