Rodgers future

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Acrobat wrote:
08 Feb 2022 12:47
Drj820 wrote:
08 Feb 2022 12:26
the only reason the packers would bring back Rodgers is if they are terrified about life without him. Cant say I blame them for that though.

But all this talk from Murphy, Gutey, and Lacoach about being unified in wanting him back is either PR to not get blamed for letting the MVP escape the building, or they are scared.
Yeah it's really tough right now to tell if it's PR or genuine. In reality, both parties may realize that their legacies all look better if it looks like a cordial/mutual breakup. Neither Peyton Manning or the Colts got negative press for the breakup. That was text book right there and both sides came out looking good. Obviously, Andrew Luck didn't work out long term with the surprise retirement, but he looked like the real deal and I thought he was for sure going to bring a trophy to the Colts.

Also, and I know tanking is a sore subject right now, but I still think trading Rodgers is the way to go. If Love Stinks (yeah yeah), the Packers are going to be baaaaaad next year, and then have the draft capital to potentially draft #1 overall in 2023. I will gladly sacrifice one bad year for the #1 overall pick and get the top QB.
Taking a collegiate QB #1 in the draft does not guarantee success. Just ask the Bucs (Jameis Wilson), the Raiders (Jamarkus Russell), the Texans (David Carr), the Cardinals (Sam Bradford) and the Browns (Baker Mayfield). There are scores of other guys taken later in the first round over the years that have flamed out too. The draft is a crap shoot. When you have a good one you are not in a hurry to let him get away unless his understudy is another AR.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Pugger wrote:
08 Feb 2022 14:29
Acrobat wrote:
08 Feb 2022 12:47
Drj820 wrote:
08 Feb 2022 12:26
the only reason the packers would bring back Rodgers is if they are terrified about life without him. Cant say I blame them for that though.

But all this talk from Murphy, Gutey, and Lacoach about being unified in wanting him back is either PR to not get blamed for letting the MVP escape the building, or they are scared.
Yeah it's really tough right now to tell if it's PR or genuine. In reality, both parties may realize that their legacies all look better if it looks like a cordial/mutual breakup. Neither Peyton Manning or the Colts got negative press for the breakup. That was text book right there and both sides came out looking good. Obviously, Andrew Luck didn't work out long term with the surprise retirement, but he looked like the real deal and I thought he was for sure going to bring a trophy to the Colts.

Also, and I know tanking is a sore subject right now, but I still think trading Rodgers is the way to go. If Love Stinks (yeah yeah), the Packers are going to be baaaaaad next year, and then have the draft capital to potentially draft #1 overall in 2023. I will gladly sacrifice one bad year for the #1 overall pick and get the top QB.
Taking a collegiate QB #1 in the draft does not guarantee success. Just ask the Bucs (Jameis Wilson), the Raiders (Jamarkus Russell), the Texans (David Carr), the Cardinals (Sam Bradford) and the Browns (Baker Mayfield). There are scores of other guys taken later in the first round over the years that have flamed out too. The draft is a crap shoot. When you have a good one you are not in a hurry to let him get away unless his understudy is another AR.
Valid point. There are also Joe Burrows who are playing in the Super Bowl this year. That's where you gotta trust your scouting and put yourself in position to draft the QB that'll keep you in the playoff picture for the next 15 years...if Love isn't the guy of course.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Acrobat wrote:
08 Feb 2022 15:12
There are also Joe Burrows who are playing in the Super Bowl this year.
There aren't Joe BurrowS, so to speak. Just saw something today that he is the quick #1 overall QB to a Super Bowl, whereas Stafford is the longest (for those that made it). That was interesting.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Here it is:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Pckfn23 wrote:
08 Feb 2022 15:15
Acrobat wrote:
There aren't Joe BurrowS, so to speak. Just saw something today that he is the quick #1 overall QB to a Super Bowl, whereas Stafford is the longest (for those that made it). That was interesting.
Not to sound like I don't want the Packers to go to the Super Bowl, but from a long term perspective, we want to be competitive every year. Bring butts in seats, adds revenue for playoff games. A Super Bowl is icing on the cake.
Last edited by Acrobat on 09 Feb 2022 09:17, edited 1 time in total.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

I scrapped the tirade and guess I'll settle for 'agree to disagree'.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

I posted before the 49er game that if we lose to the 49ers then it's bye bye Aaron Rodgers. I still think that.

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

Pckfn23 wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
Surely the biggest reason for that is that teams who draft number 1 need more than just a rookie QB to fix things. They have multiple holes.

If these number 1 picks were put into a playoff team rather than a 2-14 team, they might reach the superbowl in year 2 quite regularly.

(Of course, anyone drafted by Detroit is going to have to wait a while for a superbowl place. He'll have to wait until his rookie contract is up and he can find another club. And as the majority of number 1 picks go to Detroit ...)

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Half Empty wrote:
08 Feb 2022 16:27
Thats no fun tho
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Captain_Ben wrote:
08 Feb 2022 18:32
I posted before the 49er game that if we lose to the 49ers then it's bye bye Aaron Rodgers. I still think that.
Smart man

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

dsr wrote:
08 Feb 2022 18:55
Pckfn23 wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
Surely the biggest reason for that is that teams who draft number 1 need more than just a rookie QB to fix things. They have multiple holes.
And more often than not, they have poor management and/or coaching that keeps them in a whole for the long term.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Tampa wont even list Brady as retired, instead dreaming, hoping he will decide to come back

Ted, McCarthy, make several trips down to talk Favre into one more year after he basically lost us another play off game

Lafluer, Guty, Murphy quickly announce there desire to retain Rodgers

All posturing attempts :rotf:

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Drj820 wrote:
08 Feb 2022 19:45
Half Empty wrote:
Thats no fun tho
I agree, and that's why I had the tirade set. However, I then decided that debating with someone who actually states that the Lombardi is 'nice to have' just isn't going anywhere.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Half Empty wrote:
09 Feb 2022 08:40
Drj820 wrote:
Half Empty wrote:
Thats no fun tho
I agree, and that's why I had the tirade set. However, I then decided that debating with someone who actually states that the Lombardi is 'nice to have' just isn't going anywhere.
Guessing you directed this at me and that you misunderstood my post.

I want a $%@# Super Bowl as bad as everyone here. But I was talking from the organization's standpoint, consistent winning seasons brings in the $$$ for the team and city. So just because #1 overall QB picks haven't gone to the Super Bowl as much as you'd think, with our scouting I believe we'd find a franchise QB that could get us there.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Acrobat wrote:
09 Feb 2022 09:19
Half Empty wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Thats no fun tho

I want a $%@# Super Bowl as bad as everyone here. But I was talking from the organization's standpoint, consistent winning seasons brings in the $$$ for the team and city. So just because #1 overall QB picks haven't gone to the Super Bowl as much as you'd think, with our scouting I believe we'd find a franchise QB that could get us there.
yeah ive said this same thing for a long time. the people that run the Packers run it like managing a trust fund. There top priority is to stay employed as managers of the trust fund. The way to do that is to put a winning team on the field, keep the fans coming to games and keep them filled with hope, and to be able to raise ticket prices every now and then. Also, they prioritize not crashing the car. They have done a great job at all of those things. I dont think for the last twenty years their TOP priority has been a super bowl, although of course they want one.

Some will not like hearing this and pretend I am saying this as a bad thing. I am not. Its just the reality I see.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Yoop wrote:
09 Feb 2022 08:21
Tampa wont even list Brady as retired, instead dreaming, hoping he will decide to come back

Ted, McCarthy, make several trips down to talk Favre into one more year after he basically lost us another play off game

I don't think those are posturing attempts at all. They all know you need good QB play to be successful in this league. Right now Tampa is in need of a QB and this incoming draft class is not very strong at that position. TT and MM felt Rodgers was ready but until he was starting they didn't know for sure. Who knows if Love is ready to fill Rodgers' shoes. There are only a handful of times a team won a SB without a good QB and that is with a dynamite defense. Unless we trade him and build a great defense we won't be in the playoffs for a while without Rodgers.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Drj820 wrote:
09 Feb 2022 09:28
Acrobat wrote:
09 Feb 2022 09:19
Half Empty wrote:

yeah ive said this same thing for a long time. the people that run the Packers run it like managing a trust fund. There top priority is to stay employed as managers of the trust fund. The way to do that is to put a winning team on the field, keep the fans coming to games and keep them filled with hope, and to be able to raise ticket prices every now and then. Also, they prioritize not crashing the car. They have done a great job at all of those things. I dont think for the last twenty years their TOP priority has been a super bowl, although of course they want one.

Some will not like hearing this and pretend I am saying this as a bad thing. I am not. Its just the reality I see.
100%. I almost think their viewpoint has been that if they make it to the playoffs enough times, the chances are that they'll win the Super Bowl, which I guess has kind of paid off, just not as much as us fans would have liked.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

The Andy Herman video about Jordan Love -- where he talks about the org's statements about Rodgers -- has convinced me that they really will bring Rodgers back for one more year.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pugger wrote:
09 Feb 2022 09:30
Yoop wrote:
09 Feb 2022 08:21

I don't think those are posturing attempts at all. They all know you need good QB play to be successful in this league. Right now Tampa is in need of a QB and this incoming draft class is not very strong at that position. TT and MM felt Rodgers was ready but until he was starting they didn't know for sure. Who knows if Love is ready to fill Rodgers' shoes. There are only a handful of times a team won a SB without a good QB and that is with a dynamite defense. Unless we trade him and build a great defense we won't be in the playoffs for a while without Rodgers.
we need a sarcasm alert :thwap: maybe the head slap would have worked, I was responding to a prior post

I agree, GM's are going to keep paying top dollar for guys like Rodgers or Brady because the future is uncertain when switching to a new QB.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Labrev wrote:
09 Feb 2022 09:44
The Andy Herman video about Jordan Love -- where he talks about the org's statements about Rodgers -- has convinced me that they really will bring Rodgers back for one more year.
care to share?

And would you say that is because they are scared to go forward without Rodgers at the moment?