Rodgers future

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yup, 1 more year. You can still make a championship push with him, and give Love one more year for it to click for him.

What comes next will turn on how they feel about Love at that point.

If he's still not ready, it's probably a lost cause: extend Rodgers, let him retire a Packer. If he is... maybe you still give Rodgers that extension to retire a Packer, trade Love to some QB-needy team. Or you move forward with the young guy. The point is, you have a choice.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

mutual pos turing, it says if ya want him more then we do sharpen your freaking pencil cause he wont be going any where cheap, the front office is smart to make it look like it will be Rodgers decision should he leave, that will take the pressure down against any blow back should Love or the team decline in 2022, I think Andy Brandt is probably right again, both Rodgers and the team benefit if Rodgers is traded.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
13 Feb 2022 09:35
mutual pos turing, it says if ya want him more then we do sharpen your freaking pencil cause he wont be going any where cheap, the front office is smart to make it look like it will be Rodgers decision should he leave, that will take the pressure down against any blow back should Love or the team decline in 2022, I think Andy Brandt is probably right again, both Rodgers and the team benefit if Rodgers is traded.
It's just mutual posturing. I liked it much better last week when the focus was squarely on Leroy Butler (and my list of All-Pros Dilweg, Lewellen, Howton, Gillingham and Sharpe). I'd rather discuss our DEFENSE and the new plans for the Special Teams, and why the front office should be cleaned out/emptied.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

According to rapsheet, “team friendly discount” not in the conversation.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Drj820 wrote:
13 Feb 2022 09:47

Paying that much to just win the North seems dumb.....make that "awfully dumb". 5 and 4 overall in the playoffs at Lambeau doesn't cut it either. I was at Lambeau for both San Francisco losses ......... both games were dreadful.
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 13 Feb 2022 09:57, edited 2 times in total.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Packers must think Love is Deshone Kizer

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
13 Feb 2022 09:43
Yoop wrote:
It's just mutual posturing. I liked it much better last week when the focus was squarely on Leroy Butler (and my list of All-Pros Dilweg, Lewellen, Howton, Gillingham and Sharpe). I'd rather discuss our DEFENSE and the new plans for the Special Teams, and why the front office should be cleaned out/emptied.
me too.

of those 5 I think Sterling will be the next Packer inducted, course the voters are a fickled bunch of drunks so they will probably continue to embarrass themselves and the process.

I'am getting some real interest in the rebuilding of our special teams, Lafluer is giving Basiccia some free rain with his staff hires and we'll probably draft a few players with teams play in mind, so it seems like the FO is commited to improving the unit, bought time.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
13 Feb 2022 09:49
Drj820 wrote:
13 Feb 2022 09:47

Paying that much to just win the North seems dumb.....make that "awfully dumb". 5 and 4 overall in the playoffs at Lambeau doesn't cut it either. I was at Lambeau for both San Francisco losses ......... both games were dreadful.
Yeah that deal would not make me excited at all.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
13 Feb 2022 09:51
Love has very little to do with any of this, this is fan appeasement, 99% of fans want Rodgers back, the 10% that don't are the ones fed up with his antics or that he hasn't been able to carry this team in the PO's as he has during the regular season.

this team could suck next year with Love at the helm and it wouldn't affect this FO or the coaches, you and others here listen to talk show people to much :lol:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
13 Feb 2022 10:03
Drj820 wrote:
Love has very little to do with any of this, this is fan appeasement, 99% of fans want Rodgers back, the 10% that don't are the ones fed up with his antics or that he hasn't been able to carry this team in the PO's as he has during the regular season.

this team could suck next year with Love at the helm and it wouldn't affect this FO or the coaches, you and others here listen to talk show people to much :lol:
I don’t agree with your 99% number.

Love has a lot to do with this. If he could play, it would be great for the Packers to save 45m a year and gain a haul of draft picks.

In two years, no one would care if Rodgers is losing playoff games for another team if Love looks good and is providing hope.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

If Love sucks you just draft another one.

The fate of organization and administration doesn't rest on Jordan Love. It rests one what the Packers do in 2023 and beyond.

I don't think Jordan Love will be that good and I am still more than fine moving on from Rodgers. From what I am seeing on FB comments on the Packers FB page, I am seeing a lot more fan opinion swaying that way too. The 49ers loss has given lots of Packers fans a sour taste in the mouth.

Everyone in their heart of hearts knows it. If you can't do it in 2020 and 2021, what makes you think we have any realistic chance of doing it in 2022 with an older and more expensive QB?

Proceeding with Rodgers would give the illusion of "trying to win" which is what I have made fun of MN doing since 2018.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Maybe I'm wrong but I can't see Rodgers coming back without Davantae and the $45m plus tagging Adams makes it hard to sign anyone else. There would have to be an out after next year for sure.

Aaron never has had a rookie receiver play like Chase or Jefferson. He needs to nurture receivers on his way of thinking. So that 2nd year without Adams would be terrible.

If he has to be highest paid then get the draft picks and move on. Run the ball 40x a game and don't put the onus on Love.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
13 Feb 2022 10:16
If Love sucks you just draft another one.

The fate of organization and administration doesn't rest on Jordan Love. It rests one what the Packers do in 2023 and beyond.

I don't think Jordan Love will be that good and I am still more than fine moving on from Rodgers. From what I am seeing on FB comments on the Packers FB page, I am seeing a lot more fan opinion swaying that way too. The 49ers loss has given lots of Packers fans a sour taste in the mouth.

Everyone in their heart of hearts knows it. If you can't do it in 2020 and 2021, what makes you think we have any realistic chance of doing it in 2022 with an older and more expensive QB?

Proceeding with Rodgers would give the illusion of "trying to win" which is what I have made fun of MN doing since 2018.
Yeah I don’t agree with the 99% number at all. I’m feeling the same vibe.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
13 Feb 2022 10:08
Yoop wrote:
13 Feb 2022 10:03
Drj820 wrote:

I don’t agree with your 99% number.

Love has a lot to do with this. If he could play, it would be great for the Packers to save 45m a year and gain a haul of draft picks.

In two years, no one would care if Rodgers is losing playoff games for another team if Love looks good and is providing hope.
where do you live? because in WI and here where I'am at almost everyone I talk to want Rodgers back, sure Loves performance, or lack of it probably sways some thinking, but it's not as though Lafluer, Guty or Murphy have to worry about there jobs if Love failed next year, they have nothing to fear, as these notices show, they want Rodgers back, that clears them of responsibility, they put the ball in Rodgers court.

wouldn't matter if we had Lawrence (any other young QB) Rodgers in the next 2 or 3 years gives us the best chance to win, and 99% of Packer fans know this.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

go pak go wrote:

I think it would have less to do with trying to win and more to do with wanting more time before making a long-term decision on QB.

Love is probably not ready yet, but this is a guy they took in the 1st + a 4th, so they probably do not want to give up on him just yet and give it another year in hopes it "clicks" (not unlike we saw with Rodgers himself).

At the same time, if he does not progress as they hope, then maybe they will want to give Rodgers that extension to retire a Packer after all, and less because we think he will win us a championship in his twilight years and more because we can try again with grooming a replacement.

That said, we can keep the roster mostly intact next year, and if we have better injury luck with our star players (Bakh, Jaire, Jenkins)... it is not crazy to think there is 1 more year in our championship window. :idn:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I concur with the idea that the Packers are "posturing" with the Aaron-speak. But I also think they are serious/sincere about it. They could say all of the ambiguous love-notions that they want. But once they say, "We'll make you the highest paid QB..." that is sincere.

I'm still not against bringing back Aaron. But unless they can pull off a salary cap miracle to keep the core, they can't say that their goal is to win the SB. They just won't have the tools. First, Aaron shows how he lays eggs in January. Second, will the rest of the team help get past the divisional round that it hasn't done this year? Might be. But I doubt it.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
13 Feb 2022 10:30
go pak go wrote:

I think it would have less to do with trying to win and more to do with wanting more time before making a long-term decision on QB.

Love is probably not ready yet, but this is a guy they took in the 1st + a 4th, so they probably do not want to give up on him just yet and give it another year in hopes it "clicks" (not unlike we saw with Rodgers himself).

At the same time, if he does not progress as they hope, then maybe they will want to give Rodgers that extension to retire a Packer after all, and less because we think he will win us a championship in his twilight years and more because we can try again with grooming a replacement.

That said, we can keep the roster mostly intact next year, and if we have better injury luck with our star players (Bakh, Jaire, Jenkins)... it is not crazy to think there is 1 more year in our championship window. :idn:
everything you just said makes sense, Rodgers gives some insurance that we keep winning, paying him and keeping him 3 more years on a 5 year extension while we figure out a competent replacement for him just seems logical.

where ever Rodgers plays he's going to want another 3 year window, who in his shoes would take less.

people around here act like all fans think like us :rotf:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
13 Feb 2022 10:37
I concur with the idea that the Packers are "posturing" with the Aaron-speak. But I also think they are serious/sincere about it. They could say all of the ambiguous love-notions that they want. But once they say, "We'll make you the highest paid QB..." that is sincere.

I'm still not against bringing back Aaron. But unless they can pull off a salary cap miracle to keep the core, they can't say that their goal is to win the SB. They just won't have the tools. First, Aaron shows how he lays eggs in January. Second, will the rest of the team help get past the divisional round that it hasn't done this year? Might be. But I doubt it.
tools, we had the tools this year with 4 all pro types on the side lines, seriously Scott did it seem like we had the tools in 2010? tools is highly over rated buddy, what wins SB's are teams that get hot, jell up and don't peak out early, thats what we did in 2010, thats what the Giants did in 2011, and it's what the Pats did a half doz times, in fact I'd say that it's less then common for sure that the best or most talented teams win it all each year, we could win next year with far less talent then we had this year.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
13 Feb 2022 09:43
Yoop wrote:
Feel free to start a thread about cleaning/emptying the FO. Could be an interesting discussion, but I won't be starting it because I'm not in favor of such a thing.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yoop wrote:
13 Feb 2022 10:44
Scott4Pack wrote:
13 Feb 2022 10:37

tools, we had the tools this year with 4 all pro types on the side lines, seriously Scott did it seem like we had the tools in 2010? tools is highly over rated buddy, what wins SB's are teams that get hot, jell up and don't peak out early, thats what we did in 2010, thats what the Giants did in 2011, and it's what the Pats did a half doz times, in fact I'd say that it's less then common for sure that the best or most talented teams win it all each year, we could win next year with far less talent then we had this year.
One-and-done playoff format is BRUTAL for a game known for Any Given Sunday and injuries...

For a guaranteed SB win, I have only two solutions to it:

1) Somehow build a one-year team so superior, even the backups would sweep the floor with all other playoff teams on a bad day. For that you need one to two QBs and some other premium positions filled with cheap rookie -contract home runs, as well as great value UFA recruiting.
2) Stay winning. Get into the playoffs for a chance at the lottery. Do it enough times, and every now and then your number gets pulled outta the hat. Just because we haven't been lucky lately doesn't mean we'll stay unlucky in the future.

NE didn't win all those SBs by being an unbeatable juggernaut as described in 1). Prove me wrong.