SB Thread

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
14 Feb 2022 11:18
Yoop wrote:
14 Feb 2022 11:11
Drj820 wrote:
14 Feb 2022 10:51
WR2 had 6 receiving yards in the final Packers game.
I can't believe people are so hard headed over this, after watching Rodgers spread the ball around so much when he had Nelson Jennings Jones Cobb Adams, Finley, to think Rodgers is the one that declined is a insult upon common sense.
Actually the narrative at that time was the Packers were better off with Finley out because Rodgers didn't focus in on him so much.
actually the game plan was for the passing schemes being built around Finley, McCarthy said as much, when Finley went down McCarthy made adjustments, a OC or coach usually has a feature receiver they build a route tree around.

I remember when Adams went down everyone remarked how Rodgers was better and threw the ball to other receivers, that stuff works because the defenses isn't prepared for that, doesn't mean it's sustainable game after game, if that where the case no one would pay the big bucks for feature receivers, we missed Finley that year.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

go pak go wrote:
14 Feb 2022 09:45

A long Snapper should be able to hold his own and not allow to be pushed back 5 to 8 yards in 2 seconds
True, but he was pushed back closer to 10 yards in less than 2 seconds. That takes real talent.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
14 Feb 2022 11:06
Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Feb 2022 10:37
There were 88 total snaps of 5 wide in the ENTIRE NFL this year. We did not go 5 wide in 2021: https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/pers ... uency.html

92 total 5 wide snaps in 2020, we went 5 wide once.

85 and none in 2019.

73 and once in 2018.

In 2021, the Rams went 5 wide 3 time, but we went 4 wide more than the Rams, 26 to 47 snaps. Guess who had more success in 4 wide? Packers.

So more or less 4 and 5 wide is not an indication of better or worse WRs.

We didn't have a WR problem...
wha,,,,,,,,? the point is there are more receivers that need to be covered, which made it easier for Kupp to be open.

Adams was mugged almost the entire game.
That's a horrible point as OBJ went out in the first half and here are the WRs/TEs who Matthew Stafford was throwing to in the 2nd half:
Copper Kupp - 4 for 6, 38 yards and a TD on the game winning drive
Brycen Hopkins - 1 receptions the ENTIRE SEASON before the SB
Van Jefferson - 50 receptions, 802 yards, 6 TDs on the season
Ben Skowronek - 11 receptions, 133 yards on the season

AND they still scored 10 points in the 4th quarter to win the game. The "not enough weapons" narrative falls so flat.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Acrobat wrote:
14 Feb 2022 11:21
Yoop wrote:
14 Feb 2022 11:07
BF004 wrote:

Did you really just also misspell fu? :lol:
no, F off :lol:
Oh I thought you were saying "Fo Sho". :)
no you didn't :rotf:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
14 Feb 2022 11:35

I remember when Adams went down everyone remarked how Rodgers was better and threw the ball to other receivers, that stuff works because the defenses isn't prepared for that
In 2019 it was a 4 game stretch. Plenty of time for defenses to prepare. Even in 2020 it was a 2 game stretch. Atlanta had film.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Feb 2022 11:37
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
There were 88 total snaps of 5 wide in the ENTIRE NFL this year. We did not go 5 wide in 2021: https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/pers ... uency.html

92 total 5 wide snaps in 2020, we went 5 wide once.

85 and none in 2019.

73 and once in 2018.

In 2021, the Rams went 5 wide 3 time, but we went 4 wide more than the Rams, 26 to 47 snaps. Guess who had more success in 4 wide? Packers.

So more or less 4 and 5 wide is not an indication of better or worse WRs.

We didn't have a WR problem...
wha,,,,,,,,? the point is there are more receivers that need to be covered, which made it easier for Kupp to be open.

That's a horrible point as OBJ went out in the first half and here are the WRs/TEs who Matthew Stafford was throwing to in the 2nd half:

AND they still scored 10 points in the 4th quarter to win the game. The "not enough weapons" narrative falls so flat.
bs, and Collinsworth said it twice, the goal of 5 wide is not to be able to throw to 5 receivers as much as it is to force a defense into single coverage and make it easier for your first or 2nd read to separate faster, which obviously Kupp was able to do.

in our game Adams was doubled as soon as he left the los, so was Jones at times, SF decided Adams wouldn't beat them and kept him in check, the more dangerous receivers ya have the harder it is for a defense to defend, cripes any grade schooler would tell you this.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
14 Feb 2022 11:21
Yoop wrote:
14 Feb 2022 11:07

no, F off :lol:
Oh I thought you were saying "Fo Sho". :)
no you didn't :rotf:
For sure "Fo Sho" is not to be construed as an Asian delicacy :dunno:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
14 Feb 2022 11:46
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

bs, and Collinsworth said it twice, the goal of 5 wide is not to be able to throw to 5 receivers as much as it is to force a defense into single coverage and make it easier for your first or 2nd read to separate faster, which obviously Kupp was able to do.

in our game Adams was doubled as soon as he left the los, so was Jones at times, SF decided Adams wouldn't beat them and kept him in check, the more dangerous receivers ya have the harder it is for a defense to defend, cripes any grade schooler would tell you this.
The Rams went 5 wide 3 TOTAL times 2021. 2 passes thrown behind the LOS and 1 run. The Rams hardly ever ran 5 wide and when they did it was not to get single coverage or for the 1 and 2 read to separate faster. They were designed plays like WRs screens and end arounds.

When OBJ went out, Stafford didn't have this crazy deep receiving corp. to throw to. He had Kupp and STILL Kupp had 38 yards and a TD on the last drive. Stafford also threw to Hopkins and Skowronek 9 times for 6 catches and 59 yards. Neither the point that there must be more receiving options to get the #1 open or JAGs can't be utilized to make an offense effective, work in this situation.

It would be great to have Adams, Kupp, and Deebo Samuel but it doesn't mean an offense can not be effective without that lineup, see 4th quarter of the Super Bowl.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
14 Feb 2022 11:46

When a player is doubled, it means you likely will have someone else who can find holes in zones, a higher likelihood of a busted coverage, or have a favorable checkdown situation. And lord forbit this REALLY happens when two players are doubled (which you like to point out Jones and Adams were doubled a lot of times)

All of these events occurred in our playoff loss. It's that our QB simply didn't throw them the ball.

I don't expect perfection every play. But like the Rams, I do expect our MVP QB and the playmakers we had to be able to produce at least 20 points. And they didn't get anywhere close to that.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

It looks kind of perverse that Stafford now has as many rings as #12 and #4.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
14 Feb 2022 07:12
Also, I used to always think MN was the biggest fair weather city.

....I think Cincinnati might take them for their money. I know the Bengals have sucked for forever but I cannot understate how insignificant the Bengals were to the city when I first moved here in 2020. You hardly knew the Bengals had an NFL team. Their stadium never sold out and tickets could be had for under $20 easy.

And my goodness did the Bengals apparel "come out of the woodwork" this past two weeks. There was so much demand for Bengals apparel (because nobody had any) that street corner after street corner had those weird table pull-up stands of people selling Bengals shirts and they were busy.

The shirts looked lousy but nobody cared because everyone needed a shirt to wear to their SB party.

This city was always considered a Reds city. I was pretty confident the Bengals may even move after their lease ends. But now I bet this city passes a new tax levvy to remodel Paul Brown Stadium.

I just hope they remodel and don't do something they regret by building an actual new stadium.

I always liked the Bengals because nobody else did and their uniforms, colors and logo are sick. I wanted to buy some Bengals shirts before I left. But now I just feel like everyone is going to have Bengals stuff because I think they are going to be good for the foreseeable future.
This franchise has to have one of the ugliest uniforms around. :-P

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

German_Panzer wrote:
14 Feb 2022 12:21
Among several others

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pugger wrote:
14 Feb 2022 12:56
go pak go wrote:
14 Feb 2022 07:12
Also, I used to always think MN was the biggest fair weather city.

....I think Cincinnati might take them for their money. I know the Bengals have sucked for forever but I cannot understate how insignificant the Bengals were to the city when I first moved here in 2020. You hardly knew the Bengals had an NFL team. Their stadium never sold out and tickets could be had for under $20 easy.

And my goodness did the Bengals apparel "come out of the woodwork" this past two weeks. There was so much demand for Bengals apparel (because nobody had any) that street corner after street corner had those weird table pull-up stands of people selling Bengals shirts and they were busy.

The shirts looked lousy but nobody cared because everyone needed a shirt to wear to their SB party.

This city was always considered a Reds city. I was pretty confident the Bengals may even move after their lease ends. But now I bet this city passes a new tax levvy to remodel Paul Brown Stadium.

I just hope they remodel and don't do something they regret by building an actual new stadium.

I always liked the Bengals because nobody else did and their uniforms, colors and logo are sick. I wanted to buy some Bengals shirts before I left. But now I just feel like everyone is going to have Bengals stuff because I think they are going to be good for the foreseeable future.
This franchise has to have one of the ugliest uniforms around. :-P
The old BENGALS helmet that Ken Anderson wore was ugly, bland, and basically uninspiring. The current one is much better.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

German_Panzer wrote:
I don't know, I think I think Stafford is and has been a top 5 QB.

Seems weirder to me to see the Joe Flacco's and Eli Mannings and Nick Foles and washed up Peyton Manning and Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer.

I even think he's better than Roethlisberger, Wilson and Brees, but those are close and at least debatable.

Rodgers, Mahomes and Brady are the only noticeably superior QB's than him to win in the past ~20 years.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Raptorman wrote:
14 Feb 2022 08:33
go pak go wrote:
14 Feb 2022 08:15
Yeah credit the Rams for sure. They showed there are multiple ways to build a team.

But also credit the Packers approach. They put together the best roster in 2021. We were better than all playoff teams this year.

At some point you have to separate what the FO does and what the actual players on the field do. The Packers 2020 and 2021 misses were player and coaching issues. Not roster issues.

BG ain't no Thompson. He went after it and it worked tremendously.
Apparently not. Since they didn't play in the Super Bowl.

As I have been told many times by Packer fans, what you do during the regular season means nothing if you don't win the Super Bowl.
We beat the 2 teams that played in the SB in the regular season. The playoffs is a crazy thing. Sometimes the better team can be off in a one game elimination tournament. Do you think the 2007 Gmen were better than the 16-0 Patriots in that season or in that same season that was last year Favre played in GB? Kudos to NYG that they got red hot at the right time but if the 2007 NE plays that team 3 times NE wins 2 of the 3. That's the playoffs for ya.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
14 Feb 2022 13:04
German_Panzer wrote:
I don't know, I think I think Stafford is and has been a top 5 QB.

Seems weirder to me to see the Joe Flacco's and Eli Mannings and Nick Foles and washed up Peyton Manning and Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer.

I even think he's better than Roethlisberger, Wilson and Brees, but those are close and at least debatable.

Rodgers, Mahomes and Brady are the only noticeably superior QB's than him to win in the past ~15 years.
Yeah. When people say the Packers held Rodgers back and that Rodgers is 10 wins on his own, I think the Lions and 2018 Packers are clear depictions of what a great QB is like on an uninspiring team.

It's amazing how the Lions could just never put it together. Especially in 2015 and 2016.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

German_Panzer wrote:
Why? Stafford was always a good QB but he wallowed for years in Detroit. He got lucky to get traded to a loaded team that went all-in.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

c l u t c h

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Raptorman wrote:
14 Feb 2022 11:00
Captain_Ben wrote:
14 Feb 2022 09:42
Raptorman wrote:
13 Feb 2022 22:23
Just think, Stafford and Rodgers both have one Super Bowl victory.
I don't understand why this would be a statement worth marveling at. Maybe it would be if Stafford had stayed with Detroit and won the big game. But he stepped into a new team that was loaded with talent and primed to win right away.
Wait, you mean it's not all about the QB?
I'm not following. Is this supposed to be some kind of "gotcha" moment for you? Nobody who knows anything at all about this sport will tell you that Super Bowl wins are all about the QB. If anything, your original comment seemed to be implying that they are.