Rodgers future

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

packman114 wrote:
15 Feb 2022 12:41
I'm sure it may have been mentioned somewhere in the 200,000 posts of this subject, but wouldn't we still be in salary cap hell and have to make a decision on Rodgers/Adams etc, if Love had NOT been picked? Isn't the Love pick irrelevant unless they think he is better than Rodgers like the decision they made in 2008? And isn't the decision solely based on how the team can continue to stay competitive if they pay Rodgers & Adams what they are worth?

Or is the cap increase coming up, so big that they can do all this without crippling the team?
The vibes that I get from MLF is that Rodgers is the single player most significantly affecting the success of the franchise. That is why, if need be, they would likely let go of a number of players for cost reasons, even if it means "handcuffing" the team. As long as they have 12, they feel they have a great chance at January football. They might have a legit point. But I still don't know if I would agree to what the cost will be.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I guess I just don't see getting 3 first round picks, if one of them is already pick 9, plus Jerry Jeudy. And I really want no part of Drew Lock.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah if the Broncos offer us 3 1sts, Jeudy, I'd gladly trade Rodgers, Turner, take Lock off their hands, etc.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
16 Feb 2022 08:17
And I really want no part of Drew Lock.
He's a throw in. I don't care one way or another, but yeah, he doesn't do it for me, either.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I really agreed with everything else in Andy's plan. Specifically, turning #9, this year, into multiple picks, including a future 1st. I love the way that timing would work in terms of opening a new window. The only small downfall is I think you would have to make up your mind on QB in one full season. Maybe that is fine, but still. Ideally, we are using all that draft capital to build up the team around the QB and not using it all to acquire a new QB. I still think the worst thing we could do is go in half way. Either go all in or go all out.

Read More. Post Less.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

NCF wrote:
16 Feb 2022 09:10
Either go all in or go all out.
Agree. Which means we can expect the Packers to be in the middle.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I like Drew Lock. I think he has had Fangio and general offensive ineptitude to develop him...I think Lafluer could get him halfway right.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
16 Feb 2022 09:06
BF004 wrote:
16 Feb 2022 08:17
And I really want no part of Drew Lock.
He's a throw in. I don't care one way or another, but yeah, he doesn't do it for me, either.
Okay, guess I thought he was on some different kind of contract. $2.2 million cap for 2022, that is palatable for a veteran QB, with honestly, still a hair of upside.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
I really agreed with everything else in Andy's plan. Specifically, turning #9, this year, into multiple picks, including a future 1st. I love the way that timing would work in terms of opening a new window. The only small downfall is I think you would have to make up your mind on QB in one full season. Maybe that is fine, but still. Ideally, we are using all that draft capital to build up the team around the QB and not using it all to acquire a new QB. I still think the worst thing we could do is go in half way. Either go all in or go all out.
I guess I kind of get the all out, but man, getting rid of both Smiths, Turner, Amos, Dean and not resigning Campbell seems a bit heavy to me. I guess I get the argument, no one will be in their prime in like a 2024-2028 window.

Tackles and DL can age well, I like Amos a ton, Campbell is either 29 or 30 already, they could all still be critical in the early part.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
16 Feb 2022 09:48
NCF wrote:
I guess I kind of get the all out, but man, getting rid of both Smiths, Turner, Amos, Dean and not resigning Campbell seems a bit heavy to me. I guess I get the argument, no one will be in their prime in like a 2024-2028 window.

Tackles and DL can age well, I like Amos a ton, Campbell is either 29 or 30 already, they could all still be critical in the early part.

Yeah I disagree with his blow up of the defense. If we want to set a culture, an attitude and give Jordan Love the best chance at success, you need to keep him in games, make the team competitive, etc.

I don't want to completely tank. I want a purposeful rebuild. Dean Lowry, Adrian Amos, the Smiths, Campbell....I want at least 3 of them back. And Douglas is a given. He is going to be a Packer.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:
16 Feb 2022 09:52
I don't want to completely tank. I want a purposeful rebuild. Dean Lowry, Adrian Amos, the Smiths, Campbell....I want at least 3 of them back. And Douglas is a given. He is going to be a Packer.
I want that, too, but finances should dictate that decision by decision. Specifically the Smiths cannot play on their current deals, so the choices are cut or extend. I am not extending anyone who is not going to be part of the next window. Campbell and Douglas, as free agents, are tough. I try to get them back, but bet the grass is greener elsewhere. Maybe we have a better shot at keeping Douglas, but we'll see.

Maybe there is some wiggle room with Dean and Amos to do shorter-term extensions or adjust their deals to make it work, but again, based on how they played, it's going to be tough to make that work when they know they can likely make a killing on the open market.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Campbell is now an All Pro. I dont think he will be as easy to bring back as some others may. He exploded his market this year, not sure why he wouldnt take the check or be loyal to GB in some type of rebuild situation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah I will be interested to see what the market is for players who sucked everywhere but had one good season in one specific system.

I know I would be buyer beware if I were signing this type of player.
Yoop wrote:

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

go pak go wrote:
16 Feb 2022 10:21
Yeah I will be interested to see what the market is for players who sucked everywhere but had one good season in one specific system.

The reason you're not running most team's FO.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
16 Feb 2022 10:21

The designation of All Pro carries a lot of weight.

People make All Pro a few times and find themselves in the HOF. Its a big deal which should be parlayed into a payday.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Scott4Pack wrote:
16 Feb 2022 05:29
Pugger wrote:
15 Feb 2022 09:58
Scott4Pack wrote:
15 Feb 2022 06:30

I read one of Brandt's Tweets about that. He specifically said that you DRAFT a player in the first round so that you can PLAY him. You NEVER release or trade or let go of a first round pick, EVER.

Brandt was suggesting that this is the basis that the Packers will use to prioritize letting Aaron go.

I'm not going to suggest that Brandt is right or not. But he has been in this business with the Packers and he has sound reasoning.
This quote of Brandt's that I highlighted is false. It has happened in 2010 with JaMarcus Russell and the Oakland Raiders, for example. It is rare for sure. I also googled how often first round picks bust out and the number I found is 50%! :shock: So it won't be a shock if Love isn't turning out.
Brandt's point is not false. Russell PLAYED in his rookie season and he flopped in a big way. His release was AFTER he proved himself on the field. Brandt's point is that the first round picks always play. They get their opportunity on the field before any trade or release occurs.
Perhaps I should have highlighted never release or trade a first round pick. My bad.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Let's say Rodgers asks to be traded. If Gute decides to accommodate him why would he want to go Denver? That team is not "just a QB away from from the promised land". I have a feeling he likes MLF and has mended fences with Gute and Murphy. If they can figure out a way to keep some of the core of the present roster with creative accounting I suspect all this talk about draft picks from various teams in a trade will just be that, fan and media talk.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Pugger wrote:
16 Feb 2022 12:06
Let's say Rodgers asks to be traded. If Gute decides to accommodate him why would he want to go Denver? That team is not "just a QB away from from the promised land". I have a feeling he likes MLF and has mended fences with Gute and Murphy. If they can figure out a way to keep some of the core of the present roster with creative accounting I suspect all this talk about draft picks from various teams in a trade will just be that, fan and media talk.
I think that's the big thing. Rodgers knows it. Any trade would not even equal a lateral move. His best chance at winning a Super Bowl is here (if things can be worked out financially so the whole roster isn't handcuffed).

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Pugger wrote:
Hackett, excellent wrs, better defense, better sp teams and they can afford to make Rodgers the highest paid player in the NFL with guarteed money.
Last edited by Foosball on 16 Feb 2022 12:47, edited 1 time in total.
Love is the answer…

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pugger wrote:
There is plenty out there to read that explains, in detail, all of the reasons Denver would be attractive. I know you typically do your homework. I suspect you may have a blind spot when it comes to this subject.

Read More. Post Less.