2020 Positional Draft Talk - ILB

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

2020 Positional Draft Talk - ILB

Post by Pckfn23 »

Let's talk ILBs in this draft. Post whatever you are hearing about the prospects!

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I love Patrick Queen. He's my #1, but I think the guy from Purdue is probably the best value pick available and someone I hope we end up with.

Read More. Post Less.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I like Zach Baun. In college he was and OLB but he is too small to play NFL OLB. Which means he will be available to the Packers. Maybe even at the end of the 2nd round. The big plus for him is that he could be an effective blitzer as an ILB.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

TheSkeptic wrote:
26 Mar 2020 11:29
I like Zach Baun. In college he was and OLB but he is too small to play NFL OLB. Which means he will be available to the Packers. Maybe even at the end of the 2nd round. The big plus for him is that he could be an effective blitzer as an ILB.
I think he will be gone by then. Maybe won't even be there at 30, but who knows. I would be intrigued by what you could do with him, but I don't see him as an ideal fit for us. Personally, I would rather re-sign Clay Matthews to fill that same type of role.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
LOT of draftniks saying he goes in round 1.

Personally I wouldn't take him and I am a huge Badger fan. I don't like the projection of changing his position when there are better options out there that played ILB in college. Now, if he fell to the end of the 2nd round or into the 3rd round, I would be ok with it.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Not a ton of info out there on ILBs other than the normal draft sites. I think I will start pulling info from them and posting it here. Not like I have much else to do outside of virtual work... Can't go anywhere...

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I want Malik Harrison (rnd 2) or Logan Wilson (rnd 3) to be the heady/steady ILB with improved run defense for us. I'll provide more info when I'm not honoring completely arbitrary deadlines while working from home.

But both of those guys move well enough, have the instincts, do everything pretty well.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

ILB has got to be my worst 'scouted' position. Right up there with CB.

Guys I just love every year almost always flop. Then guys who have some hype around them, I don't see it, and they do well.

To the point I don't even practically try anymore.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

I haven't had a lot of time to look at any of the ILB's this year.

I want someone fast and mean. So mean he only gets to see daylight on game day.

Point me in the right direction.
RIP JustJeff

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Mar 2020 13:48
I want Malik Harrison (rnd 2) or Logan Wilson (rnd 3) to be the heady/steady ILB with improved run defense for us. I'll provide more info when I'm not honoring completely arbitrary deadlines while working from home.

But both of those guys move well enough, have the instincts, do everything pretty well.
Ugh Idk the more I see of harrison the less I like. Hes chunky and takes a lot of missteps. I watched his tpe against Clemson and man not impressed.
Day 3 player

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Ok, what do we think about Jordan Brooks?

He has really good athleticism but seems to lack some coverage instincts; I prefer instincts at this position to athleticism, but maybe this is a guy that just needs to put it together?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Malik Harrison is your snot bubble ILB. He's the guy you want in there to be physical.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/mali ... jwjnJK4KyJ
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/malik-har ... 66f8ba7e71

I think you have to have a physical ILB in there or we are going to get eaten up. Pairing a guy like Queen with Kirksey worries me. Now having Harrison with Queen or Harrison with Kirksey and I love it.

I would take Murray too, but this talk about his instincts baffles me a bit.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Mar 2020 17:25
Pairing a guy like Queen with Kirksey worries me. Now having Harrison with Queen or Harrison with Kirksey and I love it.
I don't think you "pair" Queen with Kirksey, if you draft Queen. Remember, Kirksey is on a 2-year deal that easily could be a 1-year deal. If you like Queen, you take him and don't look back. I know what you are saying, though. We need 1/2 LB's to be more stout and physical.

We had Goodson last year and whatever his name was the year before and they did part of the gig, but it can't be that difficult to find someone above replacement level that can function in multiple aspects of defense.

In other words,
Spoiler
the guy doesn't suck.

Read More. Post Less.

Freewheelingutey
Reactions:

Post by Freewheelingutey »

Maybe we can resurrect Wayne Simmons..god that guy was a beast!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

[mention]NCF[/mention]

Basically I am saying you can't have Queen or Kirskey be your run stopping ILB. Both I believe would take that Goodson type role plus 3rd downs and passing situations. We need to true 3 down guy if we can or at least a 2 down guy that isn't a liability in coverage. That's where I think a Harrison comes in. Not sure if that's what you were saying too or not.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Mar 2020 18:34
@NCF

Basically I am saying you can't have Queen or Kirskey be your run stopping ILB. Both I believe would take that Goodson type role plus 3rd downs and passing situations. We need to true 3 down guy if we can or at least a 2 down guy that isn't a liability in coverage. That's where I think a Harrison comes in. Not sure if that's what you were saying too or not.
Yep, we are in agreement.

Read More. Post Less.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Mar 2020 17:09
Ok, what do we think about Jordan Brooks?

He has really good athleticism but seems to lack some coverage instincts; I prefer instincts at this position to athleticism, but maybe this is a guy that just needs to put it together?
Im on the fence with Brooks. I liked him more when he was a day 3 guy now they have him in the 2ndish. I agree with you he is a nice athlete but ILB the instincts really matter.

If we want that thumper type.... which I think we all agree, has a place on this team those guys can be had for cheap or found mid late in the draft. I would suggest a guy like Shaq Quarterman. Hes not the best athlete but the guy is a force in the middle. tone setter that is a leader and never missed a start in 4 years. he gets a lot of TFLs (something we didn't have) and really brings the wood. Hes an old school type 2 down player but could fill a role later in the draft.

I really like how he reads the play and scrapes through

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I really want to get away from the "Morrison" and "Goodson" type 2nd ILB because when Pettine puts them on the field, the offense knows they can exploit that formation.

I am to the point where if either Murray or Queen are at 30....you take them. Queen is honestly my #1 hope. I think there is a 40% chance one of those two lasts. I think Philly, New Orleans, and Baltimore are the greatest risks of taking the two LBs after Simmons.

As for that "next option" I do like Jeremy Chinn, Kyle Dugger and Troy Dye in Day 2. I think I would also be happy with Malik Harrison and thought I heard reports he had a good Senior Bowl.

My day 3 guy is definitely Markus Bailey.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
26 Mar 2020 20:07
As for that "next option" I do like Jeremy Chinn, Kyle Dugger and Troy Dye in Day 2. I think I would also be happy with Malik Harrison and thought I heard reports he had a good Senior Bowl.

My day 3 guy is definitely Markus Bailey.
I like this post very much

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Mar 2020 13:12
TheSkeptic wrote:
LOT of draftniks saying he goes in round 1.

Personally I wouldn't take him and I am a huge Badger fan. I don't like the projection of changing his position when there are better options out there that played ILB in college. Now, if he fell to the end of the 2nd round or into the 3rd round, I would be ok with it.
He is going to have to change position regardless. 6'2" 235 pounders would have to be a freak athlete to play 3-4 OLB in the NFL. He is a good athlete but not freak good. Hence he will drop and very well may be there when the Packers pick at the end of the 2nd round. I also would not argue if the Packers moved up 10 spots in the 2nd round for him.