Green Bay Packers News 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I know there has been some question about his run blocking, but as a pass blocker, he has definitely come on. I do wonder if RG would be an even more natural position for him. Will be interesting to see how OL shakes out.

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah this sucks because I am convinced that keeping Rodgers and Adams together is a mistake. I could get behind keeping Rodgers for one more year but since he clearly cannot be relied on to put the game away in the playoffs, you can't let him have great receivers.

The resources spent on Adams are better spent on a defense and running game that will work effectively no matter what the circumstances are, because if the circumstances are even slightly less-than-ideal for Rodgers and Adams, our offense will not put up the points needed to win.

Rodgers's risk-averse style would work great in a glorified game-manager role, but running the offense primarily through Rodgers's arm has not been a championship-winning model.

And if Rodgers won't agree to stay without Adams, then fine, trade them outta here. We should not keep him here just to keep doing the same thing with him that has not worked.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Labrev wrote:
24 Feb 2022 11:18
Yeah this sucks because I am convinced that keeping Rodgers and Adams together is a mistake. I could get behind keeping Rodgers for one more year but since he clearly cannot be relied on to put the game away in the playoffs, you can't let him have great receivers.

The resources spent on Adams are better spent on a defense and running game that will work effectively no matter what the circumstances are, because if the circumstances are even slightly less-than-ideal for Rodgers and Adams, our offense will not put up the points needed to win.

Rodgers's risk-averse style would work great in a glorified game-manager role, but running the offense primarily through Rodgers's arm has not been a championship-winning model.

And if Rodgers won't agree to stay without Adams, then fine, trade them outta here. We should not keep him here just to keep doing the same thing with him that has not worked.
I honestly do not believe it is possible to keep Rodgers and Adams without MASSIVE cuts.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Feb 2022 11:28
Labrev wrote:

I honestly do not believe it is possible to keep Rodgers and Adams without MASSIVE cuts.
And Gutey seems to think otherwise. I think, if it is going to happen, it's going to be an extension with Adams and a deal with Rodgers that helps push a ton of money back. Also other extensions that people may not be thinking of. Cuts are going to happen, no doubt. I'm intrigued to see what this may look like. If it does happen. People are going to flip one way or another, like they already are.
RIP JustJeff

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Feb 2022 09:42
Gutey knows we can fill the seats and raise ticket prices with Rodgers at QB. He knows he can win alot of games up until January. And he knows, like we all know, the party will end sometime in January.

The bold move would be to ship the old man off and get an absolute haul for him in picks and players, get the cap in order, and try again in a new window.

Gutey is taking job security over the bold route to build a team that can win the super bowl after some growing pains.
Seats have been filled for as long as I can remember. Raising ticket prices does nothing to help the cap situation. I don't get it.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

paco wrote:
24 Feb 2022 11:35
Pckfn23 wrote:
Labrev wrote:

And Gutey seems to think otherwise. I think, if it is going to happen, it's going to be an extension with Adams and a deal with Rodgers that helps push a ton of money back. Also other extensions that people may not be thinking of. Cuts are going to happen, no doubt. I'm intrigued to see what this may look like. If it does happen. People are going to flip one way or another, like they already are.
I guess let me amend what I said. I do not think it is possible without massive cuts assuming neither Rodgers or Adams takes hometown discounts. From what both have said and done now and in the past, I do not foresee that as happening.
That said, there are only so many extension to give. Jaire, P. Smith, Z. Smith, Amos, Lowry, Turner, Gary, Jenkins are about it.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Feb 2022 12:42
paco wrote:
24 Feb 2022 11:35
Pckfn23 wrote:

I guess let me amend what I said. I do not think it is possible without massive cuts assuming neither Rodgers or Adams takes hometown discounts. From what both have said and done now and in the past, I do not foresee that as happening.
That said, there are only so many extension to give. Jaire, P. Smith, Z. Smith, Amos, Lowry, Turner, Gary, Jenkins are about it.
I completely agree with you. I really don't know how they do it unless they go totally off the rails with void years. Especially with the new reports that Rodgers is looking for $50M/year IF he comes back. Not going to be any discounts to keep him or Adams.
RIP JustJeff

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

The Packers will either pay now, or pay later, or pay both. And it's gonna hurt. It's only a question of what kind of pain we will take.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Scott4Pack wrote:
25 Feb 2022 06:08
The Packers will either pay now, or pay later, or pay both. And it's gonna hurt. It's only a question of what kind of pain we will take.
It appears the majority of fans are more than ready to send Rodgers packing for several draft picks and roll with Love because they are weary of the team flaming out in the post season. For more seasoned fans like me I am in no hurry to ship a first ballot HOF QB out the door while be is still playing at an MVP level because things haven't gone great in these playoff games lately. If it weren't for his stellar play on the regular season we don't even sniff the post season. If AR is traded his new team shoots to the top of the rankings and GB is an after thought. No thanks.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pugger wrote:
25 Feb 2022 19:07
Scott4Pack wrote:
If it weren't for his stellar play on the regular season we don't even sniff the post season. If AR is traded his new team shoots to the top of the rankings and GB is an after thought. No thanks.

I just couldn't disagree with this any further. 2019 and 2021 in particular showed the Packers were absolutely a winning team without the reliance of the passing game.

Rodgers is the best player in the league who for whatever reason doesn't play like that in January.

I would absolutely want to keep Rodgers for the exception our strategy was to use 2022 - 2024 resources to make our 2020 - 2021 team the best team in the league.

Because of that, 2022 and 2023 our team can't be the best. It just can't. So that is where people are saying, "may as well get something out of this because the expected value of draft picks and cap savings is likely significantly higher than the expected value of a 2022 - 2024 Packers on field performance with needing to what is necessary with 12 at the helm"

This has always been my standpoint. Even if we won the SB, the position would have still remained. Last year was the peak of surrounding pieces. Now is the time to sell when the price is high.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
26 Feb 2022 07:16
Rodgers is the best player in the league who for whatever reason doesn't play like that in January.
in both 019 and 2020 Rodgers did plenty for us to win, supporting cast played a larger part in the PO losses, same can be said for 014, I would agree that last year he needed to depend on others like Lazard versus just Adams and Jones, still if Cobb could have played as well as he had earlier in several games Rodgers would have probably depended on him a little more, it's easy to blame Rodgers for targeting those two, or to miss a wide open Lazard, but it's not as though Lazard had been open all day, same with Lewis, when a team has to rely on the RB to be it's #2 receiver it's going to have a tough game, I'll say it again, it comes down to a numbers thing, the 9ers had more DB's then we had receivers capable of garnering Rodgers attention, sure blame Rodgers, but it was Lafluers plan that the offensive scheme was to target Adams first and fore most, then Jones, then all the rest, and the first pass to all the rest went to sure handed Lewis, how'd that work out? hard to blame Rodgers for throwing to the guys who make the most impact when he does throw to them.

just rambling here, but aint know way Gute would send Rodgers packing because he failed to see a open Lazard, when for most of the game he was shadowed, or Lewis who coughed a fumble, plenty went wrong besides Rodgers not being other worldly.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
Pugger wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:
If it weren't for his stellar play on the regular season we don't even sniff the post season. If AR is traded his new team shoots to the top of the rankings and GB is an after thought. No thanks.

I just couldn't disagree with this any further. 2019 and 2021 in particular showed the Packers were absolutely a winning team without the reliance of the passing game.

I would absolutely want to keep Rodgers for the exception our strategy was to use 2022 - 2024 resources to make our 2020 - 2021 team the best team in the league.

Because of that, 2022 and 2023 our team can't be the best. It just can't. So that is where people are saying, "may as well get something out of this because the expected value of draft picks and cap savings is likely significantly higher than the expected value of a 2022 - 2024 Packers on field performance with needing to what is necessary with 12 at the helm"

This has always been my standpoint. Even if we won the SB, the position would have still remained. Last year was the peak of surrounding pieces. Now is the time to sell when the price is high.
Well, if we are gonna sell high Gute better strike gold on these draft picks you all are salivating
over right now or else it could be a while before we are relevant again.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pugger wrote:
26 Feb 2022 09:21
go pak go wrote:
Pugger wrote:

Well, if we are gonna sell high Gute better strike gold on these draft picks you all are salivating
Yeah. I guess I just don't care.

Like "irrelevancy" is an eventual likely threat anyway. So who cares if that happens in 2022 or in 2024?

The only counter to that in my calculus is if we get a trophy before that. It's why I was totally comfortable going all in during 2020 and 2021 like we did. But those both failed. And our ability to replicate what we had those two years is less for 2022 and the "cost" and likelihood of being completely irrelevant beyond 2022 is significantly higher if we don't move on sooner rather than later.

Unless Rodgers actually wants to win and his paycheck reflects it.

That is the only way I will be happy continuing with Rodgers.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
26 Feb 2022 08:41

just rambling here, but aint know way Gute would send Rodgers packing because he failed to see a open Lazard, when for most of the game he was shadowed, or Lewis who coughed a fumble, plenty went wrong besides Rodgers not being other worldly.
Agreed. Which is why it's irrelevant to bring up micro plays in games to macro off-season decision making.

The point to move on from Rodgers isn't that he is a playoff loser. Those judgements are reserved for other conversations.

The point to move on from Rodgers in our current state is the Packers won't be any better than they were in 2019 - 2021. So what is the point of continuing to absolutely pay a dear price chasing something that has a lower likelihood of success?
Last edited by go pak go on 26 Feb 2022 09:52, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I went and goggled if Packer fans want to retain or trade Rodgers, the only site to actually petition fans for there response was Cheesehead TV, and the over whelming majority want to trade Rodgers, then I looked closer at the people posting, and holy moly the top poster was GPG, :lol: followed by aliases of who seem like other posters here and other Packer forums, so it seems fans who follow the team closely want to move on into the unknown future, however the few fans from Green Bay I know say most people from town want to keep him, so sense we know very few fans are so commited they join forums, I'd still think most Packer fans still want to keep him

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
26 Feb 2022 09:50
I went and goggled if Packer fans want to retain or trade Rodgers, the only site to actually petition fans for there response was Cheesehead TV, and the over whelming majority want to trade Rodgers, then I looked closer at the people posting, and holy moly the top poster was GPG, :lol: followed by aliases of who seem like other posters here and other Packer forums, so it seems fans who follow the team closely want to move on into the unknown future, however the few fans from Green Bay I know say most people from town want to keep him, so sense we know very few fans are so commited they join forums, I'd still think most Packer fans still want to keep him
I am not surprised by this.

I tend to link thins to the stock market. The "smart money" is largely voting to move on and the "retail money" wanting to keep the familiar face in place.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
26 Feb 2022 09:40
Yoop wrote:
26 Feb 2022 08:41

Agreed. Which is why it's irrelevant to bring up micro plays in games to macro off-season decision making.

The point to move on from Rodgers isn't that he is a loser.

The point to move on from Rodgers is the Packers won't be any better than they were in 2019 - 2021. So what is the point of continuing to absolutely pay a dear price chasing something that has a lower likelihood of success?
Macro this, do you ever speak plan English? and you have NO idea what the future brings if we retain Rodgers, quit acting as though the future is cut and dried in that all the further we can get to is winning the division, this is why our conversations dead end, you think you know stuff that you don't, it's the same with you spouting cap knowledge, you are not Russ Ball.

your a spoiled Packer Fan, the only QB's you've ever known as a Packer fan are two HOFamers, I guess that translates for you that they are easy to come by, or that you think a team can win it all with a more average guy, sure that is possible, but it just means every other facet of the team has to be excellent, and for goodness sakes where sure as hell where not that last couple years.

Number one rated offense based on playing 6 very good teams and 11 that we where destaned to beat anyway, those stats don't mean as much when ya investigate them.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
26 Feb 2022 09:55
Yoop wrote:
26 Feb 2022 09:50
I am not surprised by this.

I tend to link thins to the stock market. The "smart money" is largely voting to move on and the "retail money" wanting to keep the familiar face in place.
Smart money????? the stock market dived two days ago, and smart money lost there ass.

draft picks bust at over 40% so to think getting a bunch should we trade Rodgers is nothing more then speculation, the best chance we have to win a SB is to keep Rodgers and as much of this talent around him, till he retires, then deal with a rebuild, you want to eliminate our best hopes to get to the big game in the next 3 or so years, and you don't even know what the parameters are with Rodgers asking price, you listened to a bunch social media nerds that often spout fearsome proposals and bought in hook line and sinker, now we hear those comments had no validity, Rodgers himself said they where false. :idn:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
26 Feb 2022 09:36
Pugger wrote:
26 Feb 2022 09:21
go pak go wrote:

Yeah. I guess I just don't care.

Like "irrelevancy" is an eventual likely threat anyway. So who cares if that happens in 2022 or in 2024?

The only counter to that in my calculus is if we get a trophy before that. It's why I was totally comfortable going all in during 2020 and 2021 like we did. But those both failed. And our ability to replicate what we had those two years is less for 2022 and the "cost" and likelihood of being completely irrelevant beyond 2022 is significantly higher if we don't move on sooner rather than later.

Unless Rodgers actually wants to win and his paycheck reflects it.

That is the only way I will be happy continuing with Rodgers.
You don't think Rodgers wants to win??