Lane Taylor accepts pay cut

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Lane Taylor accepts pay cut

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

:tiphat:

Good job, Gutey.

Like said in the Packers news thread, there's no downside to this for the team. A quality OL backup for 1.5 is a sweet thing to have. And if Taylor happens to get bypassed by others in camp, the 100k "guarantee" is no guarantee.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I never thought about Taylor moving to tackle.

He did play pretty well in 2019 when he had to do it.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-packers-g- ... -at-tackle
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

go pak go wrote:
30 May 2020 10:20
I never thought about Taylor moving to tackle.

He did play pretty well in 2019 when he had to do it.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-packers-g- ... -at-tackle
The Oline we fielded that day... :shock: :messedup: :injury:

I don't think Taylor has the feet to do well as a OT long term (some DEs would victimize him after identifying weaknesses on film), but anything above "turnstile" level of play from a backup OT is nice.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Kind of surprised Taylor would agree to that.

Let us not forget he did beat out Elgton for the starting spot in TC last year.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
30 May 2020 12:20
Kind of surprised Taylor would agree to that.

Let us not forget he did beat out Elgton for the starting spot in TC last year.
I think he recognized his market. He knew he would get cut unless he played so ridiculous this summer. So then he gets cut. He has to move and that is if he is lucky if he gets signed.

This way his chances of making the team as a top 7 or top 8 OL is much higher. If he didn't....he would likely have to be a top 5 Olinemen by beating out Turner. Plus he doesn't have to move and gets to live in a cheap city.

Financially it was probably his best move and he recognized that. $1.5 million with $100k guaranteed is a lot more than nothin.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Looks like he needs to get added to Rank the Roster pronto. I'd pick him over Turnstyle Turner anyday.

Taylor has actually played well in the past.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Nice move by the front-office.

That said, Lane Taylor looked DONE to me last year. He was always someone with pretty significant athletic limitations and made up for it by being well-coached/refined, but I felt like his limitations have become too great now, due to age and injuries.

I would have just let him go, but hey, maybe he will prove me wrong.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

The only reason to do this is to make some type of move. I wonder if the Packers are looking to acquire someone on the market or if they’re just going to give someone a new deal.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Maybe for Clark.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Now they probably have enough money for Veldheer, especially if he signs for about the same. I have little confidence in Wagner

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Veldheer's body won't hold up for a full season, so he would have to be a backup only IMO.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
01 Jun 2020 14:43
Veldheer's body won't hold up for a full season, so he would have to be a backup only IMO.
I would think Veldheer holds out until someone actually needs him again. That would be when his value is highest.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Why do you say this? He does not have a big injury history. He is not playing on gimpy knees and ankles.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

TheSkeptic wrote:
03 Jun 2020 05:20
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Why do you say this? He does not have a big injury history. He is not playing on gimpy knees and ankles.
He has had hip problems:
https://www.packers.com/news/five-thing ... d-veldheer

3. Injuries initially caused Veldheer to step away from the game.

Veldheer signed with the Patriots in May with the hope of competing for a starting post at left tackle before a nagging hip injury resurfaced during his first OTA practice with New England, causing him to temporarily step away from the game. "(The decision) was easy because of knowing what my body was telling me, but it was hard because I was leaving a very good situation being with the Patriots," Veldheer told mlive.com in June. "(Bill Belichick) understood, and everyone in the NFL building understands that the sport can do a number on your body and different guys have different timelines on how long they can make it through."
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patrio ... g-patriots

What exactly was troubling Veldheer? He explained to Wallner that his hips, "Particularly my left one, was in pretty bad shape (after the season)."
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
03 Jun 2020 15:04
TheSkeptic wrote:
03 Jun 2020 05:20
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
He has had hip problems:
https://www.packers.com/news/five-thing ... d-veldheer

3. Injuries initially caused Veldheer to step away from the game.

Veldheer signed with the Patriots in May with the hope of competing for a starting post at left tackle before a nagging hip injury resurfaced during his first OTA practice with New England, causing him to temporarily step away from the game. "(The decision) was easy because of knowing what my body was telling me, but it was hard because I was leaving a very good situation being with the Patriots," Veldheer told mlive.com in June. "(Bill Belichick) understood, and everyone in the NFL building understands that the sport can do a number on your body and different guys have different timelines on how long they can make it through."
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patrio ... g-patriots

What exactly was troubling Veldheer? He explained to Wallner that his hips, "Particularly my left one, was in pretty bad shape (after the season)."
I can't find anything as to whether his hip is still a potential problem. Apparently he still wants to play.