General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Awesome for Lane Taylor. He knew he would get cut and probably make the same amount of money anyways. May as well make it for a team you know in a city that is cheap.

Great move for both sides. Now we have great depth on the interior.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
30 May 2020 09:30
Awesome for Lane Taylor. He knew he would get cut and probably make the same amount of money anyways. May as well make it for a team you know in a city that is cheap.

Honesty with Taylor and Patrick behind Turner, Jenkins, and Linsley... I'm wondering if Runyan gets his first shot in camp staying at RT rather than shifting inside as expected. The Packers have success with OTs that were expected by many to potentially move inside (Bulaga to an extent, and Bakhtiari for sure--no one saw him as an OT in the draft that year). Unless Njimen or Leglue really come on (and yeah, I'm hoping for it--especially Njimen), Runyan may be our team's 3rd best OT by mid-season.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 May 2020 09:33
go pak go wrote:

Honesty with Taylor and Patrick behind Turner, Jenkins, and Linsley... I'm wondering if Runyan gets his first shot in camp staying at RT rather than shifting inside as expected. The Packers have success with OTs that were expected by many to potentially move inside (Bulaga to an extent, and Bakhtiari for sure--no one saw him as an OT in the draft that year). Unless Njimen or Leglue really come on (and yeah, I'm hoping for it--especially Njimen), Runyan may be our team's 3rd best OT by mid-season.
Love this move by Gutey. Quality OL backup for 1.5M is a nice thing to have. And 100k guarantee is actually no guarantee - if others beat Taylor in camp, he can still be cut.

With no OTAs, the probability of rookies coming in and contributing a lot (or at all) is slimmer than usual, and "the usual" is very low for 6th round OL anyways.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 May 2020 09:33
go pak go wrote:

I agree completely. Best case scinario is we put Runyan at RT because we have the Indiana kid and Madison coming on board in 2021. Plus we also have the Center that we drafted this year. Plenty of interior depth as it is now going into camp.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 May 2020 09:09
Pckfn23 wrote:
29 May 2020 22:09
Wait... Are we talking about top speed or acceleration.. I am lost at what team speed means. Are we talking about true top speed or COD? It is all getting muddled.
you will DEFINITELY see that we have less suddenness and top-end speed than most other teams.
Will we? Those are 2 very different things and a very bold statement that I would love to see proof of.
The reason I brought up suddenness is because top end speed doesn't matter that much if you need a 20-yard runway to get there; just very few plays when it would apply. And when i said SEE I meant SEE, so proof is rough to come by.

But let's see what I can do with what I have.

NextGen stats tallies the top 20 fastest ballcarriers each week.

The Packers had 12 appearances on that list; right off the bat, that's 12/340 = 3.5%, which is about what you'd expect as 1/32 is 3.1%... so we're starting off average speed. 3 of those, though, are from kickoff returns, so that's 9 on offense.

Of the nine on offense, 5 were Aaron Jones. One was Danny Vitale. So we're down to 3 appearances on that list by our WRs. One for Adams, One for Kumerow, One for MVS. When you consider that Kumerow and MVS are not top 3 WRs, you can start to understand that we don't have guys at the receiver position who are making an impact in terms of speed very often.

But we need context. I said the Packers had 12 players appear, with 9 appearances on offense.
The 49ers had 22 players appear, all on offensive plays (unless I missed one or two). The Chiefs had 17 appearances, all on offense. The Ravens had 13 players appear, 12 on offense.

I just picked some teams that I think of as having good team speed and tallied one by one; there wasn't a sortable list for me to look at the full league.

So when we say that we need more explosive playmakers on the offense...
  • 1) we're well aware that we have ONE, and his name is Aaron Jones.
  • 2) We're well aware that Davante Adams is a great WR, but point out that he's not a burner--one appearance on this list aside.
And finally 3) We're saying that what we lack are WRs who can get on the field and contribute who add those speedy explosive elements to the team.[/list]

Now, if MVS has a big bounce-back year? Check. I don't think anyone is going to confuse Kumerow for Usain Bolt out there, but he did tally a notch on the list for us. If Tyler Ervin becomes a regular part of the offense and adds more explosion (he had 2 KO returns on the list), that helps, too.

But it is verifiably true that the Packers WR group lacks speed. Three times they showed up on this list with one apiece by guys likely to receive very limited playing time.

Another thing to look at is to see which teams have players appearing multiple times on the list.
-Aaron Jones appeared 5 times and Tyler Ervin twice for KO returns.
-The 49ers saw multiple appearances from Deebo Samuel, Raheem Mostert, Matt Brieda, and Richie James (all offense)
-The Chiefs saw multiple appearances from Tyreek Hill, Mecole Hardman, and Damien Williams (all offense)
-The Ravens saw multiple appearances from Lamar Jackson and Marquise Brown (all offense)

Unfortunately, I didn't look at the names for the other teams as carefully as I did for the Packers, where I actually recorded them. So that's off of memory; there could be more than I'm missing.

I so hate that you're pushing for this evidence, 23, because it's just so absolutely obvious and apparent. It's like trying to explain gravity. LOOK AROUND YOU; Things are falling; I shouldn't have to explain this. You're placing the burden of proof on those claiming the obvious thing knowing full well that there is incredibly limited data readily avauilable.

Hopefully someone with full access to NFL Next Gen stats will publish an "average speed of the WRs on each team" article with rankings, which has been done before.
Oh ok, so we are talking strictly about top end speed, not about acceleration. Good to know, because that got confusing. That a player appears on the list more than once does not matter. If they appear on the list they have sufficient speed to be an effective and contribute explosive plays.

The problem is that the lack of speed argument is not obvious. WRs don't have to run 4.3s to be great. Teams don't need a guy that runs 4.3s to be explosive. And when did this become just about the WRs?

The lack of speed on offense was used as a reason of why we won't have more explosive plays. I disagree with that 100%
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

we don't have a proven player that runs fast deep or a player with proven short area quicks, even Jones is limited when it comes to deeper routes, his long ball catches exemplify Jones ability to wall out the defender more so then beating the DB with superior speed, and this has been the case for years now, heck every football announcer that does our games remarks about our lack of team speed.

I'am not a stats research person, but I bet defenses play us single high safety more then most other teams in the league, there ability to warrant over the top coverage is basically none existent.

sure adjusting the schemes to more up tempo, and mid level routes obviously can work, ya don't have to have 4.3 burners, or super cods, it just makes things easier, and forces a DC to scheme up more then one deep coverage plan.

4.5 use to be fast when I was young, the old 4.5 is now 4.4

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

They played Geronimo Allison, Jimmy Graham, and Jamaal Williams too much last year. That's the "team speed" problem in a nutshell.

Something stuck with me long ago and it still rings true. Most of the league's best route runners currently and historically at WR are NOT fast guys. They are 4.45-4.55 guys. The ability to plant your foot and cut hard is negatively affected by running too fast.

Same deal with ILB's. Being "too fast" is often detrimental at the position. The best ILBs are usually not faster than 4.5 guys.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah, while I agree that our offense is not especially fast or has great speed, I don't think that is going to matter much under our current offensive system as it would have mattered under McCarthy's "my guy can beat your guy!"-sceme.

I think our success as an offensive unit is going to have way more to do with our ability to run the ball, set up the playaction, get more out of the TE spot, and being creative.

And I wouldn't say our skill guys on offense are "slow," either. Lazard is actually a low 4.5 guy if I'm not mistaken, which is pretty good speed for his size. EQ is sub-4.5 while also being huge. Adams is able to be uncoverable without having overwhelming speed. The only 'slow' guys I can see are Lewis and maybe J-Will, but you put those two on the field for a specific role which both of them play pretty well.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Not explosive.
I think it is better to just say bad. Like our receiving group is bad. Davante being the only good one.

This is how bad our receiving group - this very forum ranked Jace Sternberger as the packers 2nd best receiving option. Jace Sternberger had 1 drop last regular season - as in that was his only stat - 1 drop.

He did have 1 catch for a td in playoffs created by Rodgers buying time with his legs to help the receiving group create some form of separation against a def that had stopped playing.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Pckfn23 wrote:
05 Jun 2020 09:55
There were only 21 WR's in the NFL with a higher catch % than PLayer #2 last season. And he was the highest of all Packer WR's.

Fyi,Davonte Adams had 67.1%.

And to be fair because Player #2 barely played in the first half of the season, if you consider only the last 4 games, the % jumps to 75% and the rank to 7th. But Adams had 77.3%

Player #2 also led the Packers in yards per reception.
Last edited by TheSkeptic on 05 Jun 2020 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Wish I lived closer!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Waldo wrote:
30 May 2020 13:30
They played Geronimo Allison, Jimmy Graham, and Jamaal Williams too much last year. That's the "team speed" problem in a nutshell.

Something stuck with me long ago and it still rings true. Most of the league's best route runners currently and historically at WR are NOT fast guys. They are 4.45-4.55 guys. The ability to plant your foot and cut hard is negatively affected by running too fast.
I think Allison and Graham are just bad players at this point (Allison never was good). Williams has his place, though that will dwindle now with Dillon.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

wallyuwl wrote:
29 Jun 2020 11:15
Waldo wrote:

I think Allison and Graham are just bad players at this point (Allison never was good). Williams has his place, though that will dwindle now with Dillon.
Williams is an interesting player. I could see him as the 3rd RB this season but no way are they going to sit Dillon or Jones if both are healthy. And this is the contract season for both Williams and Jones. If they don't think they can afford to keep Jones, they might plan to keep Williams as the 2nd RB.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheSkeptic wrote:
30 Jun 2020 03:52
wallyuwl wrote:
29 Jun 2020 11:15
Waldo wrote:

Williams is an interesting player. I could see him as the 3rd RB this season but no way are they going to sit Dillon or Jones if both are healthy. And this is the contract season for both Williams and Jones. If they don't think they can afford to keep Jones, they might plan to keep Williams as the 2nd RB.
And Swervin' Ervin definitely brings an interesting dynamic into the fold. Plus you have Dexter Williams who is no longer a rookie either.

We honestly have 5 RBs who could legitimately vie for playing time this year. I suspect we will see a lot of 2 RB formations this year.
Yoop wrote:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

If Dexter Williams gets his act together, Jamaal Williams would basically be expendable.

But Dexter Williams's main problem has always been Dexter Williams.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Logically, how many guys are going to be kept?

Aaron Jones
Jamaal Williams
AJ Dillion
Tyler Ervin
Dexter Williams
Patrick Taylor
Damarea Crockett

Jordan Jones
Elijah Wellman

Aaron, Jamaal, AJ, Tyler are locks to make the roster in my opinion. How many RB's do you keep on a practice squad though? Dexter, I'm not sure on. One of Jones/Williams will be gone next year. Maybe both. Can Dexter eventually replace Williams? He showed some signs of putting together a game last year, but if memory serves he couldn't hold onto the football. Situational runner at best.

I know virtually nothing on Taylor and I know that Crockett spent 2019 on the squad. Jordan and Elijah, listed as FB's,.. do they do anything different than what we already have in players like J Williams and Dillion? :idn:

The top of the chart has a lot of guys and maybe this is exactly what Lafleur is looking for in this offense.
RIP JustJeff

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

TheGreenMan wrote:
30 Jun 2020 17:20
Logically, how many guys are going to be kept?

Aaron Jones
Jamaal Williams
AJ Dillion
Tyler Ervin
Dexter Williams
Patrick Taylor
Damarea Crockett

Jordan Jones
Elijah Wellman

Aaron, Jamaal, AJ, Tyler are locks to make the roster in my opinion. How many RB's do you keep on a practice squad though? Dexter, I'm not sure on. One of Jones/Williams will be gone next year. Maybe both. Can Dexter eventually replace Williams? He showed some signs of putting together a game last year, but if memory serves he couldn't hold onto the football. Situational runner at best.

I know virtually nothing on Taylor and I know that Crockett spent 2019 on the squad. Jordan and Elijah, listed as FB's,.. do they do anything different than what we already have in players like J Williams and Dillion? :idn:

The top of the chart has a lot of guys and maybe this is exactly what Lafleur is looking for in this offense.
I don't see how the Packers keep more than 3 plus Deguara who is basically a FB/H-Back. Jones and Dillon are locks, baring preseason injury. IMO it comes down to Ervin vs J. Williams, the Packers won't keep both. I suspect that Dexter winds up on the PS