Green Bay Packers News 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pugger wrote:
01 Mar 2022 09:06
Yoop wrote:
28 Feb 2022 14:46
Pugger wrote:
28 Feb 2022 14:41

I haven't given up either. I am also one of the minority who want Rodgers back.
minority around here.
Minority on other forums too.
Yet you look at just about any poll someone puts out on Twitter and the majority, sometimes vast majority, want Rodgers back.

I think more analytical fans like here, see the benefit in trading him. Casual fans have no clue what the salary cap actually is, what the draft is, or anything other than what they see on their TV on Sunday.
RIP JustJeff

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

paco wrote:
01 Mar 2022 09:13
Pugger wrote:
Yoop wrote:

minority around here.
Yet you look at just about any poll someone puts out on Twitter and the majority, sometimes vast majority, want Rodgers back.

I think more analytical fans like here, see the benefit in trading him. Casual fans have no clue what the salary cap actually is, what the draft is, or anything other than what they see on their TV on Sunday.
Yes, it appears football geeks on message boards want Rodgers traded. Over on FF there are guys who are actually pissed that the Packers are considering extending him. They say they are weary of him choking in the playoffs and are afraid if we keep Rodgers we'll be cap hell for years, Love will walk when his contract is up and we'll be without a QB. One guy even said if we win a Lombardi in the next 2 years it still wouldn't be worth it!
Last edited by Pugger on 01 Mar 2022 09:27, edited 1 time in total.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

paco wrote:
Pugger wrote:
Yoop wrote:

minority around here.

Haven't suffered whiplash like this in a long time. Read the first paragraph and started a vehement rebuttal, then read the second and concur.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Half Empty wrote:
01 Mar 2022 09:27
paco wrote:
Pugger wrote:

Haven't suffered whiplash like this in a long time. Read the first paragraph and started a vehement rebuttal, then read the second and concur.
:lol:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
Pugger wrote:
Yoop wrote:

minority around here.

think about this though

Packer forums comprise of about 1% of Packer fans, ( educated guess) and while they do pay attention to salary cap and they believe a boatload of trade compensation garnered from a trade for Rodgers will keep this team competitive, the other 99% or many of them, lived through times when #1 picks specially QB's rotated through the doors of Lambeau like fast food orders, quickly devoured, followed by a trip to the out house :lol: We know what we have with Rodgers, a very good QB, we have no idea what the draft picks or other compensation will offer, thats as big a guess as any comment concerning Rodgers

I know fans that keep up on all Packer news and have never joined a Packer forum, and they know just as much as people here.

most comments I hear from opposing teams fans is how informed and knowledgeable Packer fans are, and they weren't talking about Packer forum members :idn: :lol:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
01 Mar 2022 09:35
paco wrote:
Pugger wrote:

think about this though

Packer forums comprise of about 1% of Packer fans, ( educated guess) and while they do pay attention to salary cap and they believe a boatload of trade compensation garnered from a trade for Rodgers will keep this team competitive, the other 99% or many of them, lived through times when #1 picks specially QB's rotated through the doors of Lambeau like fast food orders, quickly devoured, followed by a trip to the out house :lol: We know what we have with Rodgers, a very good QB, we have no idea what the draft picks or other compensation will offer, thats as big a guess as any comment concerning Rodgers

I know fans that keep up on all Packer news and have never joined a Packer forum, and they know just as much as people here.

most comments I hear from opposing teams fans is how informed and knowledgeable Packer fans are, and they weren't talking about Packer forum members :idn: :lol:
You are right Yoop. (did those words just come out of my mouth? :lol: ) Packers fans, by and large, are some of the most knowledgeable. But I do think it is safe to say, the majority of the well educated among Packers fans do go to a forum or some other place to talk and read on a regular basis.

Still that is the minority of your average football fan as a whole, who knows as much about a nickel defense as Favre did.

And for those counting, here are all the 1st round QB's drafted by the Packers since Starr (yes he was 17th round but I didn't go back farther).
Randy Duncan - '59
Don Horn - '67
Jerry Tasse - '72
Rich Campbell - '81
Aaron Rodgers - 2005
Jordan Love - 2020
Not exactly a revolving door of 1st rounders. But obviously plenty of others in that time.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Adams and Rodgers will both be Packers next year. Watching the same movie will be something.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
01 Mar 2022 10:26
Yoop wrote:
paco wrote:

think about this though

You are right Yoop. (did those words just come out of my mouth? :lol: ) Packers fans, by and large, are some of the most knowledgeable. But I do think it is safe to say, the majority of the well educated among Packers fans do go to a forum or some other place to talk and read on a regular basis.

Still that is the minority of your average football fan as a whole, who knows as much about a nickel defense as Favre did.

And for those counting, here are all the 1st round QB's drafted by the Packers since Starr (yes he was 17th round but I didn't go back farther).
Randy Duncan - '59
Don Horn - '67
Jerry Tasse - '72
Rich Campbell - '81
Aaron Rodgers - 2005
Jordan Love - 2020
Not exactly a revolving door of 1st rounders. But obviously plenty of others in that time.
your right most forum members are more informed and more knowledgeable then the average fan, however prior to ever becoming a forum member back in the late 90's, I received the GBPG, and Ray Nitschke's Packer report, and various other football info sources, we didn't have access to a internet back then, but I'am sure many average fans use that these days, my point is that even the average fan is more informed these days then ever before.

so when they say they want Rodgers back it's at least partially do to the reality they know which side of the bread the butter is on :lol:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Gutey talking soon at the Combine. Make sure to tune in and listen to nothing of consequence.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
01 Mar 2022 12:58
Gutey talking soon at the Combine. Make sure to tune in and listen to nothing of consequence.
Two years ago, at the combine, Gutey said he wouldn't hesitate to draft a QB. We should have listened more closely.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
01 Mar 2022 13:02
paco wrote:
01 Mar 2022 12:58
Two years ago, at the combine, Gutey said he wouldn't hesitate to draft a QB. We should have listened more closely.
That's true. It's something that is nice about Gutey, when he does say something, its rarely a lie.
RIP JustJeff

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
01 Mar 2022 11:02
paco wrote:
Yoop wrote:

think about this though

Randy Duncan - '59
Don Horn - '67
Jerry Tasse - '72
Rich Campbell - '81
Aaron Rodgers - 2005
Jordan Love - 2020
your right most forum members are more informed and more knowledgeable then the average fan, however prior to ever becoming a forum member back in the late 90's, I received the GBPG, and Ray Nitschke's Packer report, and various other football info sources, we didn't have access to a internet back then, but I'am sure many average fans use that these days, my point is that even the average fan is more informed these days then ever before.

so when they say they want Rodgers back it's at least partially do to the reality they know which side of the bread the butter is on :lol:
Ah....Ray Nitschke's Packer Report. I kept all of them from the 1996 / Super Bowl 31 season. Ray's weekly column was always a joy to read.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

1.5 million base salary, $2 million signing bonus hit this year (3.5 hit this year), 3 void years at $2 million each. Gronk gets 9.5 million.

If you gunna yolo, might as well yolo, lol.

Not a report per se, but those are better betting odds than they should be.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

BF004 wrote:
01 Mar 2022 16:33
1.5 million base salary, $2 million signing bonus hit this year (3.5 hit this year), 3 void years at $2 million each. Gronk gets 9.5 million.

Our luck he gets hurt week 5 and is donzo

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Gronk with anyone other than Brady is probably Jimmy Graham. No thanks.
RIP JustJeff

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

BF004 wrote:
01 Mar 2022 16:33

Can Gronk play of Special Teams? (heck yes.........I'm serious).

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
01 Mar 2022 16:27
Yoop wrote:
paco wrote:

Randy Duncan - '59
Don Horn - '67
Jerry Tasse - '72
Rich Campbell - '81
Aaron Rodgers - 2005
Jordan Love - 2020

Ah....Ray Nitschke's Packer Report. I kept all of them from the 1996 / Super Bowl 31 season. Ray's weekly column was always a joy to read.
I waited for it weekly, bought a subscription for my father to as soon as it came out, I think in 1974, if memory serves it was just called the Ray Nitschke pro report at that time and later became the Packer report, living in Chicago land Packer news was hard to come by Rays weekly was about all there was.

heres some reading stuff on the importance of the MLB in Rays era. :aok:

By the mid to late 1950s, once the 4-3 alignment had essentially become every NFL team's every-down defense, the middle linebacker was the centerpiece. Six middle linebackers who started their careers during those transitional years and played into the 1960s were inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The list is a roll call of legends like at no other defensive position from that period: Chuck Bednarik, Bill George, Joe Schmidt, Les Richter and Sam Huff. Dick Butkus was a latecomer to the group.

But no name was anymore recognizable or synonymous with the position than Ray Nitschke. Not long after Nitschke retired, the middle linebacker disappeared in the 3-4 defense and its role in the 4-3 diminished over time with situation substitution.

https://www.packers.com/news/history-hof-ray-nitschke

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
02 Mar 2022 07:07
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
01 Mar 2022 16:27
Yoop wrote:

I waited for it weekly, bought a subscription for my father to as soon as it came out, I think in 1974, if memory serves it was just called the Ray Nitschke pro report at that time and later became the Packer report, living in Chicago land Packer news was hard to come by Rays weekly was about all there was.

heres some reading stuff on the importance of the MLB in Rays era. :aok:

By the mid to late 1950s, once the 4-3 alignment had essentially become every NFL team's every-down defense, the middle linebacker was the centerpiece. Six middle linebackers who started their careers during those transitional years and played into the 1960s were inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The list is a roll call of legends like at no other defensive position from that period: Chuck Bednarik, Bill George, Joe Schmidt, Les Richter and Sam Huff. Dick Butkus was a latecomer to the group.

But no name was anymore recognizable or synonymous with the position than Ray Nitschke. Not long after Nitschke retired, the middle linebacker disappeared in the 3-4 defense and its role in the 4-3 diminished over time with situation substitution.

https://www.packers.com/news/history-hof-ray-nitschke
Awesome re-cap Yooper. I subscribed to the Packer Report when I lived in Seattle. Same as you, Ray's Packer Report was all I had to follow the Packers other than USA Today's sports page. Back in those days there were 2 Packers bars with large satellite dishes where I'd go watch the games on Sunday.

One Packers bar is still operational ........ it's the Mustard Seed in Bellevue, WA. The fan club is called the Northwest Packer Backers, see http://www.northwestpackerbackers.com/ . A few years ago when I was visiting I went there to watch a Monday night game (Packers vs. Seahawks in Seattle) and whaddaya know ........ Jerry Kramer was there at the Mustard Seed signing autographs and watching the game with us. GO PACK GO!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

paco,

I might be mistaken, but I think the 1972 first round pick was Jerry Tagge, not Jerry Taste. I remember Tagge painfully well. He was the best of a stack of awful QBs. He took mediocrity to new doldrums, er, heights. lol. But he was better than (less worse than) Scott Hunter or a host of others.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
01 Mar 2022 10:41
Adams and Rodgers will both be Packers next year. Watching the same movie will be something.
Let's hope the movie ending is different this time. ;)