Rodgers future

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
02 Mar 2022 06:49
Foosball wrote:
01 Mar 2022 23:29
Quiz Question

Who said “It’s better to get rid of a player a year early than a year too late”???
I mean many of the best of the best said that.

Ron Wolf went by it. The New England Patriots went by it.

The Business Planning Program my business has adopted goes by it.
sorta goes with the times, better to get rid of someone before they become costly, I think it was taken out of context though like so many other things, the last two presidents where north of 70 when elected, some of the wisest people in history didn't receive notoriety till old, some of the oldest football players are in the highest demand, Belichick combed UFA bringing in over the hillers season after season and won SB's, so I tend to disagree with that NE comment, and Wolf did the same to a extent with several older vets he brough aboard

what about age discrimination laws, hows your business planning programs going to deal with that?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
02 Mar 2022 07:31
go pak go wrote:
Foosball wrote:
Quiz Question

Who said “It’s better to get rid of a player a year early than a year too late”???

sorta goes with the times, better to get rid of someone before they become costly, I think it was taken out of context though like so many other things, the last two presidents where north of 70 when elected, some of the wisest people in history didn't receive notoriety till old, some of the oldest football players are in the highest demand, Belichick combed UFA bringing in over the hillers season after season and won SB's, so I tend to disagree with that NE comment, and Wolf did the same to a extent with several older vets he brough aboard

what about age discrimination laws, hows your business planning programs going to deal with that?
I don't think age has anything to do with what we are talking about.

It's more about not being afraid to deal with life after a professional is gone. A lot of business decisions are made in fear and instead wanting to stay with the known.

Wolf opposed that. The Patriots were absolutely notorious for trading away big and beloved names before their final year of contract. And what our work is focusing on too is if we know a person isn't right for the seat...move on. Don't wait. The organization will adapt and be better if that person truly isn't a good fit (for a variety of reasons). Don't matter if the professional is 30 or 60. The principal remains the same.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
02 Mar 2022 09:18
Yoop wrote:
02 Mar 2022 07:31
go pak go wrote:

I don't think age has anything to do with what we are talking about.

It's more about not being afraid to deal with life after a professional is gone. A lot of business decisions are made in fear and instead wanting to stay with the known.

Wolf opposed that. The Patriots were absolutely notorious for trading away big and beloved names before their final year of contract. And what our work is focusing on too is if we know a person isn't right for the seat...move on. Don't wait. The organization will adapt and be better if that person truly isn't a good fit (for a variety of reasons). Don't matter if the professional is 30 or 60. The principal remains the same.
I think obviously that a GM will question giving a extension or new contract to a player thats had some injury issues, and some positions age out better then others, still theres no generic formula to any of this, some players brake the odds, some by many years, there just not as great as they had been, those are the type players Belichick became famous for finding, older vets, with some petrol remaining in the tank.

we kept bringing Clifton back after countless knee operations, same with Bulaga, with some players the risk is worth the reward, just as Gutekunst feels about Rodgers, he sure as heck doesn't want to pay a Kings ransom, but he's willing to because the alternative is bleak for the near future, possibly much longer, a bird in hand is worth more then the flock in the bushes so to say.

the use of the word FEAR to describe a GM or Biz owners decision to stand pat versus take a leap to the unknown while is in a way accurate, who with any gray matter wouldn't be apprehensive ? the consequences of being wrong with some of these decisions could be insurmountable, and a quick trip to never ever holding the position you just lost again, the only bosses that wouldn't hit the pause button there once or twice first, well those are the bosses that probably should have been replaced already, there gray matter dried up long ago :lol:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Ya lost me yoop.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Gray Matters

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Rodgers has the whole org in a choke hold. They can’t do anything to secure their future until he finally “informs them of his decision”. What a joke.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Drj820 wrote:
02 Mar 2022 16:18
Rodgers has the whole org in a choke hold. They can’t do anything to secure their future until he finally “informs them of his decision”. What a joke.
I'm starting to agree with this as well. Time for this to be done with either way.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

Drj820 wrote:
Not really. They could easily walk away but they do not want it, that is what it makes look like #12 is in charge.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

go pak go wrote:
Foosball wrote:
Quiz Question

It was Bill Walsh.
Love is the answer…

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

German_Panzer wrote:
02 Mar 2022 16:29
Drj820 wrote:
Not really. They could easily walk away but they do not want it, that is what it makes look like #12 is in charge.
I quit thinking about this drama / circus several weeks ago when I firmly decided that the right thing to do is keep Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay throughout his entire career as we did the Bart Starr, and as Pittsburgh did with Big Ben and Terry Bradshaw, and as Miami did with Dan Marino, and as Denver did with John Elway, and as Buffalo did with Jim Kelly and as Dallas did with both Dandy Don and Roger the Dodger, and as New York did with Eli Manning. These instances where Tarkenton was a Giant, Favre was a Viking, Favre was a Jet, Unitas was a Charger, Brady was a Buccaneer, Stafford was a Ram, Warner was a Cardinal, Pastorini was a Raider, Ram and Eagle, Warren Moon was a Seahawk, Joe Montana was a Chief, Peyton Manning was a Bronco, Brees was a Saint, Ken Stabler was an Oiler and Saint .............. etc. What am I trying to say? Some like Joe Flacco won a championship and moved on to never win again .......... some didn't win a championship and then moved on and won one (Stafford). The NFL is like corporate America ........... little regard for the working stiff.

Let's change the subject: What ever happened to the Sistrunk cousins Otis and Manny? I always thought they were brothers :swear:

Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 03 Mar 2022 06:06, edited 4 times in total.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Last random thought from me before the Rodgers decision is final.

I hope that him helping get Clements back is actually a good will gesture, and parting gift to the Packers and Love to aid in his development.

Would be a great story and would love to see nearly everyone flounder and find a way to claim they knew that's what it was the whole time.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

That’s far less likely than just the packers brought him back to appease 12

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Hypothetically let’s say Rodgers leaves and the Packers receive a bunch of draft picks which allows them do draft a top receiver and bolster an already promising defense.

How many games would the Packers win in 2022 with Love under center?
Love is the answer…

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Foosball wrote:
02 Mar 2022 19:54
Now that is the hugest what if question ever.

I mean are we talking no Davante, Billy Turner, Dean, Preston, Z, Campbell??

Does Love suck, average at best, raw but showing upside, playing at a pro-bowl level.

Couldn't even wager a confident guess.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
02 Mar 2022 21:32
Foosball wrote:
Now that is the hugest what if question ever.

I mean are we talking no Davante, Billy Turner, Dean, Preston, Z, Campbell??

Does Love suck, average at best, raw but showing upside, playing at a pro-bowl level.

Couldn't even wager a confident guess.
It's almost like it matters who else is on the field?

Sorry, nope, crazy thought.
RIP JustJeff

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Foosball wrote:
Hypothetically let’s say Rodgers leaves and the Packers receive a bunch of draft picks which allows them do draft a top receiver and bolster an already promising defense.

3 games maybe

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

Foosball wrote:
Quiz Question

They really ought to have said "it is better to get rid of a player at the right time, rather than too early or too late". No GM is going to work on the principle that this plater is still useful and will make a big contribution this year, so we'll get shut in case he isn't good enough the year after.

The problem with getting rid of a player too early is that it might be 5 years too early. If you get rid of him too late, it's only 1 year.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

im sure Rodgers will be great next year. I have no doubts.

But how long do we want to not know what the future looks like year after year? How valuable could those draft picks in a trade be if Gutey does his job well at the draft? How many players can we pay if we dont owe Rodgers 50m?

Those are the factors i am looking at, now doubt Rodgers will compete for another MVP next year.

A good question would be if he would rather win a SB ring or an MVP trophy next year.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Drj820 wrote:
03 Mar 2022 07:33
im sure Rodgers will be great next year. I have no doubts.

But how long do we want to not know what the future looks like year after year? How valuable could those draft picks in a trade be if Gutey does his job well at the draft? How many players can we pay if we dont owe Rodgers 50m?

Those are the factors i am looking at, now doubt Rodgers will compete for another MVP next year.

A good question would be if he would rather win a SB ring or an MVP trophy next year.
Aside from Brady, the drop off has been steep when it happens, so we better be very sure that the drop off is still far off if we're going to give him another 3-4 years.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

If we talk about Aaron's health by itself, I see no reason to think that he couldn't be very healthy (for a virtual 40 year old, that is) for a couple of years anyhow. And if Brady could keep his arm health and survive as a pure pocket passer until mid-40s, why couldn't Aaron?

We used to say that there was NO WAY that a guy past 35 could win MVP once, let alone two consecutive years. But Aaron did it.

There's as much positive about his health as their might be negative.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!