Rodgers future

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Good day to listen in what McAfee has to say at the beginning of his show, though. He sure knows how to work it.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Going to be funny when this turns out to be a 1 year deal and we still move to Jordan after the 2022 season.
RIP JustJeff

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

So, McAfee indicates that his source(s) (aka Aaron Rodgers) are indicating that the deal was offered, but it is not what he would necessarily sign, as he wants to be “cap friendly” to enable the keeping of some guys on the team.

We’ll see. Will Rodgers or the Packers ever divulge the details?

More drama. Maybe it’ll all settle within a couple of days, or over the weekend. I’d like to move on to the high-priced, new FA that we will be signing in a few days.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

paco wrote:
08 Mar 2022 10:39
Scott4Pack wrote:
08 Mar 2022 10:38
HOW do you make a “cap friendly deal” when you are paying a guy $50M/year?
We need to see the full details. McAfee is saying that number reported is not accurate. Huge deals are never fully cap friendly. Might be friendly now, but will hurt later. We'll see.

Love for #9, who says no?
Trading Love right now would be dumb. This isn't a strong QB draft class and Love presently is a better backup than anybody else out there.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
08 Mar 2022 10:38
BF004 wrote:
08 Mar 2022 10:19
Yoop wrote:
08 Mar 2022 10:02

if we tag Adams we'll need to find 21 mi. by march 16 to pay for it, how many players would we have to extend or cut to do that? only to try and peddle that contract to a team that would also give up a 1st round pick plus to get him, in a year loaded with receiver draft talent, who would do that? also Adams will want more then 21 mil. per from his new team, if I'am a GM I wouldn't do it, thats worse then paying and keeping Rodgers
Well it’s only 18.4 million, helps to have correct information. But yeah everything in my post is what stands. With Rodgers back, get Davante extended before league new year, ya just do it. Without Rodgers, make a honest to god real solid effort to do it. If not, LIS, I’m okay cutting a few contract to get our cap right and get some picks.

And yes someone will trade for Davante, a fair amount too. Diggs was just traded for a 1 and two 4’s in a loaded draft year. Davante is better but older, but I would think something in that ball park.
it's 20.15 mil. maybe you should get your facts straight

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2022/0 ... -on-wr-dav

why bring Adams back if we lose Rodgers? this is a loaded WR class time to use some high picks on receivers

so many here wanted to dump Adams in 2015, I defended him, now I want to let him go and people want to keep him, for 20 plus mil at that, I doubt I'll ever understand some of you guys.
You were right about the franchise value, thanks!

If we wanted to support Love's progression, would likely help to give him the best WR in football, and someone who was still likely to be really good in 2-4 years, our first target window with Love.

Resigning Adams would do nothing to stop us from getting a WR. Of course if we traded him for a first, we could get an even better WR.

But moot topic now. :beer2:

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Scott4Pack wrote:
08 Mar 2022 11:16
So, McAfee indicates that his source(s) (aka Aaron Rodgers) are indicating that the deal was offered, but it is not what he would necessarily sign, as he wants to be “cap friendly” to enable the keeping of some guys on the team.

So are we to assume AR wants to get $$$ but have it be in signing bonus so the team is screwed cap-wise in 4-5 years after he is done?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

wallyuwl wrote:
08 Mar 2022 11:23
Scott4Pack wrote:
08 Mar 2022 11:16

So are we to assume AR wants to get $$$ but have it be in signing bonus so the team is screwed cap-wise in 4-5 years after he is done?
Actually, Florio is on top of this with a way to avoid that. Just speculation, but here is how to avoid that but still report giant numbers.
As with every big-money contract, it’s impossible to trust the initial reports. The truth always resides in the details of the deal. (Already, the initial reports from Ian Rapoport and Pat McAfee conflict as to basic terms of the deal; it’s likely an “old money” vs. “new money” interpretation, we’re told.)

With the contract that Aaron Rodgers reportedly will be signing to stay with the Packers, there’s another factor to consider beyond signing bonus, cash flow, full guarantee at signing, etc. What flexibility will Rodgers have to retire after any given season, if he so chooses?

In many contracts, a major signing bonus ties the player to the team, unless the players is willing to pay back a large chunk of unearned compensation. In the Rodgers deal, it’s believed that the final structure may allow him to easily retire, whenever he wants.

The simplest approach would be to defer major chunks of the signing bonus to future years. If Rodgers retires, he simply doesn’t get the money. But, for cap purposes, he earns at on signing.

We’ll soon be getting the full details, and we’ll break them down once we do.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -he-wants/

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I am going to guess 'team friendly' is friendly in name only, meaning lower 2022 cap hit at best until I see otherwise.

Aaron has never really given any indication he wants to play for less than his worth.

Although he asked to be involved in personnel decisions. Perhaps he is just seeing first hand that, Crosby gone, Lewis gone, Preston gone, MVS gone, Tonyan gone, ZaDarius, gone if you want that fair market QB contract right now.

Hoping like crap he is taking 25-30 a year over the next 2-3 years to keep some of these guys around.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

BF004 wrote:
08 Mar 2022 11:27
I am going to guess 'team friendly' is friendly in name only, meaning lower 2022 cap hit at best until I see otherwise.

Aaron has never really given any indication he wants to play for less than his worth.

Although he asked to be involved in personnel decisions. Perhaps he is just seeing first hand that, Crosby gone, Lewis gone, Preston gone, MVS gone, Tonyan gone, ZaDarius, gone if you want that fair market QB contract right now.

Hoping like crap he is taking 25-30 a year over the next 2-3 years to keep some of these guys around.
He has to or else the team is toast. Lewis, Crosby, Cobb, and Z need to go. All either too old, too injured, or not nearly worth their contract. And by God get a long snapper more than 180 lbs. If I'm AR, I have no issue taking TB12 type compensation but I want to help buy some of the ingredients for the cake (no paying King $6 million). We shouldn't expect AR to take less $$$ to help the team, but then the team goes and blows $6 million on King and $5 million on Crosby and $11 million or whatever on Cobb.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

As far as I’m concerned the front office has mortgaged the future of the Packers Organization for the next 5 years.

If they don’t win a SB in the next 3 years, Gutey should be fired.
Love is the answer…

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Foosball wrote:
08 Mar 2022 12:43
As far as I’m concerned the front office has mortgaged the future of the Packers Organization for the next 5 years.

Even if it is the $50 mil a year, 2 years from now it won't even be in the top 5 for QBs as the cap spikes.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Well... congrats, boomers. You got your wish (for four years, tops).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Madcity_matt wrote:
08 Mar 2022 12:56
Foosball wrote:
08 Mar 2022 12:43

Even if it is the $50 mil a year, 2 years from now it won't even be in the top 5 for QBs as the cap spikes.
Just let the guy think the GM who is 40-9 the last 3 years with 3 division titles who didn't trade the reigning MVP should be fired if we don't win a Super Bowl in 2 years.

If Gute keeps drafting like he has, we will be perpetually competitive.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

so is drama over for next 3 offseasons or does this all blow up soon
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
08 Mar 2022 13:26

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
08 Mar 2022 13:29
Drj820 wrote:
08 Mar 2022 13:26
RIP JustJeff

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Nice. This was my preferred outcome although I wouldn't have minded too much if we would have cashed him out for lots of picks.

Get a 2nd AJ Dillon so even if one goes down, we can take the ball out of his hands in the playoffs if necessary.

Didn't I have a sig bet with somebody from like early on in the season (which I now would have won)?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I just wonder how inaccurate the reports are. Both McAfee and Rodgers blasting this will feel a bit strange if the deal turns out to be essentially what has been suggested.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
08 Mar 2022 10:56
Yoop wrote:
08 Mar 2022 10:55
we will here something from the Packers no matter what at some point today.
Not if there is not anything official to share.
well something will be announced concerning Adams I'd think since we have to tag him or allow his exposure on the open market, right? imo he's our ticket to draft a very good replacement prospect, like I said, if Cousins ( who is better then most give him credit to be) can turn Jefferson into one of the best rookie receivers ever then Rodgers can too.

keep the thrower, and replace the catcher, that would seem wise to me :idn: