Green Bay Packers News 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The term "team friendly deal" when it pertains to low early year cap hits is so stupid. If anything low cap hit early year deals are player friendly becaue the team shells out a lot of early cash via signing bonus. And the team is the one who has to pay the player when the player is no longer on the team or in the league.

This is a very Rodgers friendly deal. Not a team friendly deal. The 2024, 2025 and maybe even 2026 Packers are paying Aaron for 2022 and 2023.

That's what the deal is.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
15 Mar 2022 11:22
The term "team friendly deal" when it pertains to low early year cap hits is so stupid. If anything low cap hit early year deals are player friendly becaue the team shells out a lot of early cash via signing bonus. And the team is the one who has to pay the player when the player is no longer on the team or in the league.

This is a very Rodgers friendly deal. Not a team friendly deal. The 2024, 2025 and maybe even 2026 Packers are paying Aaron for 2022 and 2023.

That's what the deal is.
Yeah, this is still all the right way to go, but a little disappointed in the deal to be honest. Really thought Mr. It's Not About The Money might actually put his money where his mouth is.

Any way, done is done, we got a window to go win some Super Bowls, lets go $%@# do it already.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

LB Oren Burks to the Niners.

Yawn…
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I hear BF004’s point about this already being a good team, except we need more at DLine and IOL. Well, the LOS is where the game is won and lost. We’ve seen that for sure in January of the past three seasons now. We were beat at the LOS in all of those games. So, we still need to add pieces there for sure.

But get us a WR and TE (or re-sign T’onion) for sure!
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
15 Mar 2022 12:52
I hear BF004’s point about this already being a good team, except we need more at DLine and IOL. Well, the LOS is where the game is won and lost. We’ve seen that for sure in January of the past three seasons now. We were beat at the LOS in all of those games. So, we still need to add pieces there for sure.

Agree, hate that is where you are weakest, but like I mentioned, we aren't done resigning guys (maybe a Patrick or Lancaster yet, maybe Kelly and we keep Jenkins inside), haven't gotten any free agents, high caliber or lower risk, or had a draft yet.

Just thinking we are looking in really good shape for having a competitive team with very few holes at this point.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Scott4Pack wrote:

It was dumb to shuffle the OTs in the 2022 loss but the IOL and particularly DL were good in that game. The pack was finally not soft aside from ST. We are getting two pro bowl OTs back and have a new ST coach that should fix problems without FAs.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
15 Mar 2022 11:53
go pak go wrote:

That's what the deal is.
Yeah, this is still all the right way to go, but a little disappointed in the deal to be honest. Really thought Mr. It's Not About The Money might actually put his money where his mouth is.

Any way, done is done, we got a window to go win some Super Bowls, lets go $%@# do it already.
Yeah. I'm fine with bringing Rodgers back.

But I never want to hear "team friendly" or "Rodgers not caring about the money" again.

He absolutely does. The 2024, 2025 and 2026 Packers are paying for Rodgers. Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, Rasul Douglas and our O and D line are paying for Rodgers. Our lack of WRs are paying for Rodgers. Robert Tonyan possibly not being a Packer is paying for Rodgers.

That's our reality.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
15 Mar 2022 13:34
Scott4Pack wrote:

Agree, hate that is where you are weakest, but like I mentioned, we aren't done resigning guys (maybe a Patrick or Lancaster yet, maybe Kelly and we keep Jenkins inside), haven't gotten any free agents, high caliber or lower risk, or had a draft yet.

Just thinking we are looking in really good shape for having a competitive team with very few holes at this point.
I agree, and this draft has our positional needs, loaded with WR talent, and also some interesting guys at DL that might be available at our slot, people are so doom and gloom.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

go pak go wrote:
15 Mar 2022 13:40

But I never want to hear "team friendly" or "Rodgers not caring about the money" again.

He absolutely does. The 2024, 2025 and 2026 Packers are paying for Rodgers. Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, Rasul Douglas and our O and D line are paying for Rodgers. Our lack of WRs are paying for Rodgers. Robert Tonyan possibly not being a Packer is paying for Rodgers.

That's our reality.
I would have moved on under those circumstances. We mortage the future and Rodgers is Godgers only during the regular season. But it is what it is, and certainly it feels good to have "our" #12 back, so I am on board. But does the re-signing of Preston S. make sense? That's a head scratcher to me.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
BF004 wrote:
go pak go wrote:

That's what the deal is.

That's our reality.
I think it's team friendly in the respect that we now have cap space to keep most of our talent, Rodgers is no different then most of the players, to them its all business, and they want to be paid according to there production, it's not so much about the amount of the check, it's whether the amount is more then the next best player at there position, when the team admits that Rodgers should be the highest paid player in the league, it says we are willing to pay him as such, we shouldn't be surprised when it happens, or that eventually the bill will become do, I'am happy that the team was able to back load it and keep the cap hit low.

sure I think it's important to plan for tomorrow, but I think it's more important to live in the now, prepare the best you can for the present, and the team just did that.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

German_Panzer wrote:
15 Mar 2022 14:32
But does the re-signing of Preston S. make sense? That's a head scratcher to me.
The re-signing of our starting edge rusher who had 9 sacks and 2 forced fumbles to a deal that lowers his cap number in the short term by $8 million and keeps him around for the championship window at a price similar to that given to mid-tier WRs this week? It makes sense to me. Though the every-other-year trend says this won't be his best year, haha

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

German_Panzer wrote:
go pak go wrote:

That's our reality.
I would have moved on under those circumstances. We mortage the future and Rodgers is Godgers only during the regular season. But it is what it is, and certainly it feels good to have "our" #12 back, so I am on board. But does the re-signing of Preston S. make sense? That's a head scratcher to me.
I mean he was very solid in 2 out of 3 years with us and we need someone to be opposite of Gary. He also has held up health wise.

I think resigning Preston was a no brainer unless we were able to get Z for the same price...which we wouldn't have.
Yoop wrote:

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

go pak go wrote:

That's what the deal is.
100% agree with this. It is cap friendly but we have to gut the team in 2 or 3 years because of his dead money. That's the legacy he will leave the fans of Green Bay. Thanks a lot! Even if we win the Super Bowl it's unbelievable how selfish these players really are. Hard to cheer for players anymore. Instead of the star players, I'm going to cheer for the uniform and latch onto guys on rookie contracts and UFAs. Not going to spend time on the so-called stars, but I will be ready to bash them when they don't play like the Superstars they are paid to be.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
15 Mar 2022 14:37
I think resigning Preston was a no brainer unless we were able to get Z for the same price...which we wouldn't have.
It wouldn't surprise me, given age and injury, if Z winds up taking less; but he wouldn't have done that for us, and his contract was untenable. He's a guy who if he were a free agent, we could have let him test the market and had a great shot at retaining. But as a $25M cap figure approaching the league year, he absolutely had to go.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
15 Mar 2022 14:33
go pak go wrote:
BF004 wrote:

That's our reality.
I think it's team friendly in the respect that we now have cap space to keep most of our talent, Rodgers is no different then most of the players, to them its all business, and they want to be paid according to there production, it's not so much about the amount of the check, it's whether the amount is more then the next best player at there position, when the team admits that Rodgers should be the highest paid player in the league, it says we are willing to pay him as such, we shouldn't be surprised when it happens, or that eventually the bill will become do, I'am happy that the team was able to back load it and keep the cap hit low.

sure I think it's important to plan for tomorrow, but I think it's more important to live in the now, prepare the best you can for the present, and the team just did that.
All of these things you say are fine.

But these are team things. What I have issue with is when people are like "Roders is giving the Packers a break based on the low initial cap hit"

Like Rodgers is cutting us no deal or slack there. That is all team using accounting tricks to lower the cap hit all while Roders gets more money up front.

I have always been fine with Rodgers taking what he thinks he deserves. Whatever. But that also needs to go on his legacy and I will always remember him for that as part of legacy compared to say a Tom Brady who actually took less to have more support on the team around him.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
15 Mar 2022 14:39
go pak go wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me, given age and injury, if Z winds up taking less; but he wouldn't have done that for us, and his contract was untenable. He's a guy who if he were a free agent, we could have let him test the market and had a great shot at retaining. But as a $25M cap figure approaching the league year, he absolutely had to go.
I can understand why he was upset last summer. He had his cap hit changed without his likely doing and it ultimately made his Packers days numbered unless he got a huge deal.

Hence the, "I want to be a packer for life" tweets. But we didn't have a choice at the time.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

packman114 wrote:
go pak go wrote:

That's what the deal is.
100% agree with this. It is cap friendly but we have to gut the team in 2 or 3 years because of his dead money. That's the legacy he will leave the fans of Green Bay. Thanks a lot! Even if we win the Super Bowl it's unbelievable how selfish these players really are. Hard to cheer for players anymore. Instead of the star players, I'm going to cheer for the uniform and latch onto guys on rookie contracts and UFAs. Not going to spend time on the so-called stars, but I will be ready to bash them when they don't play like the Superstars they are paid to be.
I will go as far as saying I hate the term "cap friendly". it is not cap friendly. It is simply deferring.

Using the term cap friendly is a very short sighted view of things.
Yoop wrote:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

4th and 7th
RIP JustJeff

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

German_Panzer wrote:
go pak go wrote:

That's our reality.
Pass rushers are coveted and we had to choose between Preston and Z and we couldn't afford to keep both.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Not all that upset he's gone, but solid signing by Bears.
RIP JustJeff