Packers Use Franchise Tag on Davante Adams

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Packers Use Franchise Tag on Davante Adams

Post by BF004 »

Couple more 10+ TD seasons with Aaron, Davante going to be Canton bound.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Last Dance II: Electric Boogaloo

:banana: :cheer:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

now hopefully we can trade him for a 1st and a 3rd to Jacksonville, and draft a younger Adams and a kick return burner.

I know everyone hates me :rotf:

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

salmar80 wrote:
08 Mar 2022 14:56
Last Dance II: Electric Boogaloo

:banana: :cheer:
I was waiting for someone to make that joke :aok:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
08 Mar 2022 15:20
now hopefully we can trade him for a 1st and a 3rd to Jacksonville, and draft a younger Adams and a kick return burner.

:think: :dunno: :argue: ;) :beer:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:

not me.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

TheSkeptic wrote:
09 Mar 2022 01:42
Yoop wrote:

not me.
If we could get that sure. :munch:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

You guys are underselling this. Let a team sign him to an offer and we can get 2 1sts for Davante! Why settle for a trade for less? Not that it matters because at this point I expect us to re-sign him and the tag won't be needed.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

If a team would want to go that route, probably wouldn't be hard to front load the contract, or at least a sizable 2022 cap hit, should that team have a little money, so we couldn't match it.

Of course Davante would have to willingly sign this contract too. Don't think I'd be mad if a team like the Raiders tossed us two first rounders. Certainly doesn't make us better, but those $$ are getting real.

Two firsts + Rasul + Campbell + Tonyan vs Davante, an argument could be had.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
09 Mar 2022 12:03
You guys are underselling this. Let a team sign him to an offer and we can get 2 1sts for Davante! Why settle for a trade for less? Not that it matters because at this point I expect us to re-sign him and the tag won't be needed.
I was sorta just spiffing here ya know :lol: Tae is 30, now he may be the next coming of Randy Moss, or Fitzgerald, but the skills that make Tae great can disappear in the blink of a eye, we may make him rich for a year, but I don't see Gute handing him the type contract he just gave Rodgers, and I wouldn't want him to.

saying that though, I've wanted to add a great prospect across from Adams for years now, and this draft has them into the 3rd round, like to sign Tae to a contract we can get out of in a year or two, and use a 2nd on one of these receivers.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yoop wrote:
09 Mar 2022 13:46
paco wrote:
I was sorta just spiffing here ya know :lol: Tae is 30, now he may be the next coming of Randy Moss, or Fitzgerald, but the skills that make Tae great can disappear in the blink of a eye, we may make him rich for a year, but I don't see Gute handing him the type contract he just gave Rodgers, and I wouldn't want him to.

saying that though, I've wanted to add a great prospect across from Adams for years now, and this draft has them into the 3rd round, like to sign Tae to a contract we can get out of in a year or two, and use a 2nd on one of these receivers.
Given what you say about Tae getting "old" how about if Guty gives him a mega contract in year one but then loads up the incentives in the following years? I wonder if Tae would take that.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
10 Mar 2022 08:37
Yoop wrote:
09 Mar 2022 13:46
paco wrote:

Given what you say about Tae getting "old" how about if Guty gives him a mega contract in year one but then loads up the incentives in the following years? I wonder if Tae would take that.
No
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I wouldn’t think so either.

I would believe that Tae wants as much of everything GUARANTEED as early as possible. I’d think that’s how most WRs that are 30 are thinking. The vast majority of 30 year old WRs are going one year at a time and they just don’t get contracts longer than that, usually.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

It's so wild to me that it has taken Davante Adams and DeAndre Hopkins' weird contractual comparisons for the media to finally finally start articulating that the new money/new years extension deals they always announce are absolutely fake and have no relevant bearing on the cap, compared to the full life of the deal, which is the real contract and the real money and the real cap impact.

I noticed that when they announced Preston Smith's contract, they specifically stated that the 4 year, $52.5 million extension is part of a 5-year $65M total deal. This is the way it should have always been reported for all players all the time, and had everyone stuck to that when Hopkins signed a 2-year extension that was part of a 5-year total deal, we might actually have Adams locked up right now.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

YoHoChecko wrote:
14 Mar 2022 10:09
It's so wild to me that it has taken Davante Adams and DeAndre Hopkins' weird contractual comparisons for the media to finally finally start articulating that the new money/new years extension deals they always announce are absolutely fake and have no relevant bearing on the cap, compared to the full life of the deal, which is the real contract and the real money and the real cap impact.

I noticed that when they announced Preston Smith's contract, they specifically stated that the 4 year, $52.5 million extension is part of a 5-year $65M total deal. This is the way it should have always been reported for all players all the time, and had everyone stuck to that when Hopkins signed a 2-year extension that was part of a 5-year total deal, we might actually have Adams locked up right now.
Are you saying that players and team depend on the media interpretation of contracts and not their own?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Half Empty wrote:
14 Mar 2022 12:15
Are you saying that players and team depend on the media interpretation of contracts and not their own?
I am saying that the characterization of DeAndre Hopkins' deal as being worth $27.5 million per year versus the actual value that teams and agents typically use is the explicitly reported gap in negotiations between Adams and the Packers, and that has been alluded to by both parties (Gutey and Adams) for a while.

I think MOST teams and agents do not use that, but agents work for players, and I think players hear the reports and make demands.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Half Empty wrote:
14 Mar 2022 12:15
YoHoChecko wrote:
14 Mar 2022 10:09

Adams is gonna use the interpretation that helps his wallet. The team is going to use the interpretation that helps their cap situation.

The fans will take headlines or do their own digging. To each their own in that regard.

But I think the player and the team have known what’s up with these contracts for a long time.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

No idea how credible this source is:

“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Labrev wrote:
15 Mar 2022 17:43
No idea how credible this source is:

Not even a little from the sounds of it.
RIP JustJeff