Davante To Da Raidas for picks 22 and 53

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Sad to see Tae go, but the idea of giving him 28 mil a year was making me sick. Getting that draft capital for him make me feel like we won this trade.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I am very happy with this whole ordeal.

The fact that we got in under the cap with Davante on his tag, and really only released Turner and Za'Darius is pretty crazy. Z was gunna be gone anyways, so maybe Turner was a cap sacrifice that turned our 2023 3rd round comp pick into a 2022 1st and 2nd.

Still hate how much we are giving Rodgers, and I've been fine with all the $$ punting. As I've shown in another thread, its actually and ingenious way to go about it if you do it continually. But just as long as our cap punting doesn't cost us Jaire, Elgton, Gary, etc, some of the cornerstones of the team, I'd be fine with it.

And honestly best remedy for a cap strapped team is to get a lot of contributors on rookie contracts.

So we are more than likely worse this year without Davante, maybe next year is a push, but by 2024 and beyond, for restocking talent and cap situation, this has just gotta be viewed as a smart move.

But we should have a 3 year window with Aaron, potentially more, so I like it. All I want is a top defense with elite QB.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

packman114 wrote:
18 Mar 2022 10:17
Yoop wrote:
18 Mar 2022 09:39
Adams new the Packers couldn't pay there top two players 80 mil. a season and still compete, so did the FO, thats why Adams is a Raider, all this gossip from Adams agents that the Packers where willing to match that offer has not been confirmed to my knowldge, and even if the FO says it, don't make it true, everyone comment I've heard is designed to appease the fan base.
Turns out they could pay both because they offered him the same or more money. And no I can't prove it but you can't prove they didn't offer it either. We only go on the information out there. Multiple sources, not anonymous ones, have said the money was equal. He chose the Raiders over Green Bay. I don't give a flip about what he did the last contract. This year his choice was stay for a LOT of money and bring a championship here to Green Bay or go to the Raiders for a LOT of money to play with his good friend. If he was embracing Green Bay the way AJ Dillon, Rodgers, Jones, and many others have, he would have stayed here. I never got the sense he did embrace the tradition and legacy of the Packers as much as some of these other guys have. Not a knock on him, just an observation on why he would want to go elsewhere.

I bet almost everyone on this board thinks that we caught a break because that is way too much money to pay a WR. The days of loyalty from players are long gone. The more we can reload the better for the long-term benefit of the franchise.
obviously we could have paid that this year, maybe even the whole 4 years, but at the expense of building a competitive roster after this season.

I seriously get a kick out of everyone here that acts so gullible believing people that continually tell half truths for a living, it's as though the FO never lies, or that players always tell ya the truth, and I wont even mention agents who seldom do, or sports reporters that mimic anything anyone says as though it's gospel.

as soon as he bought that house in Vegas almost everyone here commented that he could end up there, then when he said he wouldn't play for tag money, and that he still wanted to be payed like the best, we had to know how hard it would be to offer him a long term deal at those rates and still be competitive after this season, ya can't pay two players 1/3 of the cap year after year, how does that even make sense to any of you guys, that is far to much money to keep kicking forward on two players, Tae new we could not possibly remain a competitive team, so he left, and actually did the team a solid doing so. :beer2:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
18 Mar 2022 10:44

The fact that we got in under the cap with Davante on his tag, and really only released Turner and Za'Darius is pretty crazy. Z was gunna be gone anyways, so maybe Turner was a cap sacrifice that turned our 2023 3rd round comp pick into a 2022 1st and 2nd.

Still hate how much we are giving Rodgers, and I've been fine with all the $$ punting. As I've shown in another thread, its actually and ingenious way to go about it if you do it continually. But just as long as our cap punting doesn't cost us Jaire, Elgot, Gary, etc, some of the cornerstones of the team, I'd be fine with it.

And honestly best remedy for a cap strapped team is to get a lot of contributors on rookie contracts.

So we are more than likely worse this year without Davante, maybe next year is a push, but by 2024 and beyond, for restocking talent and cap situation, this has just gotta be viewed as a smart move.

But we should have a 3 year window with Aaron, potentially more, so I like it. All I want is a top defense with elite QB.
It is not that hard to replace Adams production, simply find two receivers better then our #2 and #3 receivers that we've had the last 5 years, which should not be that hard to do, take one of these top 4 receivers in this draft and buy a UFA, that wont break the bank.

Keeping Adams beyond this coming season probably would have caused us to lose one or two of those players you mentioned, and to me that would have hurt this team more then retaining Tae.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

A quetion I had a few weeks ago was -

Would I rather have the following:

A. Campbell, Douglas, MVS
B. Davante Adams

I chose A then. And now I might get A plus a 1st and 2nd rounder.

I'm pretty happy about that.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
18 Mar 2022 10:53
BF004 wrote:

Still hate how much we are giving Rodgers, and I've been fine with all the $$ punting. As I've shown in another thread, its actually and ingenious way to go about it if you do it continually. But just as long as our cap punting doesn't cost us Jaire, Elgot, Gary, etc, some of the cornerstones of the team, I'd be fine with it.

It is not that hard to replace Adams production, simply find two receivers better then our #2 and #3 receivers that we've had the last 5 years, which should not be that hard to do, take one of these top 4 receivers in this draft and buy a UFA, that wont break the bank.
Here is a list of the remaining FA's out there.

1. Odell Beckham - Torn ACL. Won't be back until likely December at earliest.
2. Jarvis Landry
3. Ju Ju Smith - has gotten worse each year in the league
4. Jamison Crowder
5. Will Fuller
6. Sammy Watkins
7. Julio Jones
8. AJ Green
9. James Washington
10. Laquon Treadwell
11. Tre'Quan Smith
12. MVS
13. Demarcus Robinson
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
18 Mar 2022 11:04
Yoop wrote:
BF004 wrote:

2. Jarvis Landry
4. Jamison Crowder
5. Will Fuller
6. Sammy Watkins
7. Julio Jones
8. AJ Green
9. James Washington
10. Laquon Treadwell
11. Tre'Quan Smith
12. MVS
13. Demarcus Robinson
thats a pretty ugly list sadly
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Drj820 wrote:
18 Mar 2022 09:37
I would say the guy that may not be showing he wants a SB above all else is the guy that just took 150m at 39 years old.
No argument here.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Drj820 wrote:
18 Mar 2022 11:11
go pak go wrote:
18 Mar 2022 11:04
Yoop wrote:

2. Jarvis Landry
4. Jamison Crowder
5. Will Fuller
6. Sammy Watkins
7. Julio Jones
8. AJ Green
9. James Washington
10. Laquon Treadwell
11. Tre'Quan Smith
12. MVS
13. Demarcus Robinson
thats a pretty ugly list sadly
Agreed. Half these guys will have a pulled hamstring or foot injury by Game 2. MVS or Landry I guess

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I say we do a 1-year deal for MVS.

We bring in Odell for like a $2M signing bonus, vet minimum salary, $500,000 per gameday active roster bonuses so he gets paid in proportion to how much he plays, and like a $1M playoff bonus.

Then we draft three wide receivers this year, with Christian Watson as the guy who will replace MVS, Alec Piece as the guy who will replace Lazard, and the best guy we can get otherwise.

With our seven picks in the first four rounds, we get a DT, an EDGE, an OL, 3 WRs, and like a TE, LB, or S.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

I see Gute trading for a wr and drafting another
Love is the answer…

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Id love to trade for Metcalf. Hes huge which seems to be something Gutey loves. We should also try hard to bring in Landry.

I dont really care about bringing back MVS for 7-10m. I would just try to get an unpolished burner in the draft and tell him to run go routes. (like MVS)

MVS is not that unique for guys that have that unique skill set. Which is a confusing way to say it may be unique...but they are in every draft. Just gotta snag one.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

I'm definitely not crazy about paying MVS 7-10 mil or really signing anyone on that list. I'd rather draft 3, including at least 1 if not 2 in the first 2 rounds.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Wasn't Beasley just released by the Bills?

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

I am very happy that Green Bay was able to convert a 30 year old, extremely expensive Davante Adams into 1st and 2nd round picks while also freeing up money to spend on other players.

However, I cannot look the WR and TE talent that is (i) currently on the roster, (ii) still available via free agency, and (iii) potentially available in the back half of round 1 and think that this team will be anything but in deep trouble in the passing game in 2022.

I can't remember the last time the Packers made a trade for an established NFL player, is this the year it happens?

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

LombardiTime wrote:
18 Mar 2022 14:33
I am very happy that Green Bay was able to convert a 30 year old, extremely expensive Davante Adams into 1st and 2nd round picks while also freeing up money to spend on other players.

However, I cannot look the WR and TE talent that is (i) currently on the roster, (ii) still available via free agency, and (iii) potentially available in the back half of round 1 and think that this team will be anything but in deep trouble in the passing game in 2022.

I can't remember the last time the Packers made a trade for an established NFL player, is this the year it happens?
Bojorquez & Cobb were the last two trades. I think they would qualify as established players.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Yeah, the more I look at it, the more it is an all-around win.

Obviously, saving $28m and grabbing a 1st and 2nd is great. Also the thing about Rodgers getting tunnelvision for him in the playoffs and missing the wide open guys.

But also, let's say he really was worth a couple of wins per year. Well then what happens? We drop a couple more games than we have been, and all of a sudden we no longer have to play in our recent playoff house of horrors, Lambeau Field.

It's just a fact that he could make catches that no other WR on this team could make. He was sort of a security blanket for Rodgers. Well, given that Rodgers is someone whose biggest problem in the playoffs seems to be that he mentally tenses up and seeks safety rather than embracing risk, maybe the best thing for him is to remove that security blanket.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

texas wrote:
18 Mar 2022 15:41
Yeah, the more I look at it, the more it is an all-around win.

Obviously, saving $28m and grabbing a 1st and 2nd is great. Also the thing about Rodgers getting tunnelvision for him in the playoffs and missing the wide open guys.

But also, let's say he really was worth a couple of wins per year. Well then what happens? We drop a couple more games than we have been, and all of a sudden we no longer have to play in our recent playoff house of horrors, Lambeau Field.

It's just a fact that he could make catches that no other WR on this team could make. He was sort of a security blanket for Rodgers. Well, given that Rodgers is someone whose biggest problem in the playoffs seems to be that he mentally tenses up and seeks safety rather than embracing risk, maybe the best thing for him is to remove that security blanket.
That last paragraph, [mention]texas[/mention], is money.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
18 Mar 2022 15:16
LombardiTime wrote:
18 Mar 2022 14:33

Bojorquez & Cobb were the last two trades. I think they would qualify as established players.
Brain fart, my bad.

I should have said when is the last time the Packers traded a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, even a 4th rounder for a player as that is what it will take to get any type of real contributor added at TE or WR.

I can't think of any trade of a round 1-4 pick for a player in the past 10 years or so, but I could be wrong.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I am infinitely more optimistic the 2022 Packers offense will be successful with Rodgers throwing to nobodies and a rookie WR or two than I am with Love throwing to Adams and nobodies along with a rookie WR or two.

In other words, I am much more comfortable with Rodgers running this offense minus Adams than I am with Love running it with Adams.