Big Bob T'Onion Re-signed

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Big Bob T'Onion Re-signed

Post by APB »

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Nice! With the ACL and him being a bit underwhelming in his limited action, I figured we can bring him back on a cheapish "prove it" deal. Does not make TE less of a draft need, but since they tend not to be big contributors as rookies, allows us not to need to rely on one,probably won't even take up a roster space until mid-season at the earliest (PUP List). What's not to like?
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Can’t hurt to bring back a receiving TE who knows the playbook and the QB with a 10 TD season under his belt.

Good resign

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

How happy is Skeptic right now?
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
19 Mar 2022 19:41
skeptic is a browns fan now.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Terms?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
19 Mar 2022 19:41
What’s the difference? We’re in cap hell for the next 37 years.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

I like Tonyan a lot. He is a legit threat and top10 NFL TE. This team looks more and more like a SB contender and we still have a decent first rounder in the draft.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Good move. AR built trust with him and he catches everything.

I still feel a big move for a wr coming

Cooks is on his last year with Houston. Should cost much to go get him

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Great move! Ready to go TEs are hard to find in draft, now we get needed receiving production while probably grooming a rookie.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Glad that Tonyan is back! Praying his knee fully recovers. He runs great routes and only 17 had better hands on the Packers.

I hope we still strengthen our TE corps somehow. It just makes the playbook so much better to have two good receiving TEs.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
20 Mar 2022 01:40
Glad that Tonyan is back! Praying his knee fully recovers. He runs great routes and only 17 had better hands on the Packers.

I hope we still strengthen our TE corps somehow. It just makes the playbook so much better to have two good receiving TEs.
I'd Bring Mercedes back if he can still walk :lol: that guy does more damage in slow motion then others do with 4.6 speed, plus he's a great blocker, put him with Tonyan as we did two years ago and thats a pretty good 2 TE set, or did Mercedes retire?

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

German_Panzer wrote:
19 Mar 2022 20:32
I like Tonyan a lot. He is a legit threat and top10 NFL TE. This team looks more and more like a SB contender and we still have a decent first rounder in the draft.
One year deal is a good move. I am guessing he took his knee rehab more seriously than Bak and will be ready to go on schedule. He is not a top ten TE though. Especially with Adams gone. Good hands and the Diva trusts him so he will get some stats. Not a threat IMO.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

We don't have to "bring back Lewis"

He is already signed. He signed a two year deal last year. Lewis is a Packer unless he activley chooses to retire personally.
image.png
image.png (107.15 KiB) Viewed 607 times
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

Realist wrote:
20 Mar 2022 09:20
He is not a top ten TE though. Especially with Adams gone. Good hands and the Diva trusts him so he will get some stats. Not a threat IMO.
Will be interesting to see other opinions. In my eyes Tonyan is a threat, kind of like Finley was back then. He is not Kittle or Kelce, but in the row behind them...in my opinion, of course assumed his injuries does not give him baggage but heals out 100%.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
20 Mar 2022 09:06
Scott4Pack wrote:

I'd Bring Mercedes back if he can still walk :lol: that guy does more damage in slow motion then others do with 4.6 speed, plus he's a great blocker, put him with Tonyan as we did two years ago and thats a pretty good 2 TE set, or did Mercedes retire?
We don't have to bring him back. He's already under contract.
RIP JustJeff

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

German_Panzer wrote:
20 Mar 2022 10:00
Realist wrote:
20 Mar 2022 09:20
He is not a top ten TE though. Especially with Adams gone. Good hands and the Diva trusts him so he will get some stats. Not a threat IMO.
Will be interesting to see other opinions. In my eyes Tonyan is a threat, kind of like Finley was back then. He is not Kittle or Kelce, but in the row behind them...in my opinion, of course assumed his injuries does not give him baggage but heals out 100%.
Finley was just about to be great. Bums me out to think about. He would still be playing at age 34. Nick Collins is only 38 for that matter. What might have been.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
20 Mar 2022 10:47
Yoop wrote:
20 Mar 2022 09:06
Scott4Pack wrote:

We don't have to bring him back. He's already under contract.
well hell, where good to go then at TE, Tonyan, Lewis, Dequara and Dafney, after we let Sternoberger go thats 4 we had last year, to bad we also lost Tonyan, maybe use a 7th and take a flier.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
20 Mar 2022 13:46
well hell, where good to go then at TE, Tonyan, Lewis, Dequara and Dafney, after we let Sternoberger go thats 4 we had last year, to bad we also lost Tonyan, maybe use a 7th and take a flier.
I think we could justifiably draft a TE early, although I also think it's justifiable not to do so, either. t'Onion will probably start on PUP and be activated midseason, so we will have room for a 4th guy for a bit, and then injury inevitably strikes at some position of the roster.

t'Onion will either look good, in which case, we can't afford him to keep him around, or he will suck, in which case, we should replace him. Deguara gives us flexibility, and is further along than any rookie will be. That ugly drop aside, I think last year was reason for optimism.

But even if he works out, we run a lot of 2-TE sets, and after t'Onion and Lewis move on, we will not have a true "Y" tight-end on the roster since Deguara is more of an H-back type. That Tyler Davis guy was serviceable but you don't pass up better talent in the draft for a guy like that.

And since TEs need time before they can contribute, it'll be nice to have one on the roster this year to hit the ground running next year.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

We all know the packers medical staff. I wouldnt expect Tonyan to be available until postseason in which he will be given 4 snaps.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur