Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Sounds like Indy is in talks to trade for Ryan. Still things to work out, but sounds close.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

3rd rounder is a hell of a deal for the Colts.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

APB wrote:
20 Mar 2022 11:21
I wonder if our I-wanna-be-involved-in-personnel-decisions QB is making these sort of calls…

And again...

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Considering we never, ever land great WR deals, AR must only do prank calls. :hide:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

One reason why a FA should want to come to GB right now is if they have any self confidence at all they gotta figure they will be able to get lots of targets.

Not sure many guys want to be barked at by 12 tho.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

paco wrote:
21 Mar 2022 12:34
Third rounder for a qb is good. But OTOH, it is for Matt Ryan.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

wallyuwl wrote:
21 Mar 2022 15:47
paco wrote:
Third rounder for a qb is good. But OTOH, it is for Matt Ryan.
Ryan got sacked a ton and threw for over 4000 yards without Ridley and a rb as his primary receiver. Colts have roster work to do yet, but Ryan's the type of qb they needed.
RIP JustJeff

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

We have AR and Love. One may have been a bad pick, but things could be worse....
kuva.png
kuva.png (61.36 KiB) Viewed 423 times

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Bad language warning

RIP JustJeff

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Not the most eloquent way of saying it but that dude is right. Bystander apathy has become so common in recent years- I've witnessed similar situations myself. I don't understand it- are people afraid of lawsuits or something? Why the hell not help the person??

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

paco wrote:
Colts got a steal. And the Failcons showed all the world how NOT to move on from a franchise QB.

As soon as it was publiziced that Atlanta was in the bidding for Watson, it was over for Ryan. That was such an insult, Ryan was done with the team. This is why Gutey steadfastly stonewalled all talk of trading AR and made zero moves towards it. You don't burn the bridge until you're across it.

And since Ryan was done with the Falcons, it was cut or trade, and other teams knew it. Getting a measly 3rd rounder while you eat a 40M cap hit is a TERRIBLE trade. They have 55M of dead cap due to Ryan and Julio Jones. Their star WR is suspended indefinitely and their roster sucks. Glad I ain't their fan!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

salmar80 wrote:
21 Mar 2022 15:15
Considering we never, ever land great WR deals, AR must only do prank calls. :hide:
I know this wasn't your point, but the Adams trade away was a perty darned good deal, if you ask me. Alas, it's different to trade away a WR than it is to land one.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

salmar80 wrote:
22 Mar 2022 02:16
paco wrote:
Colts got a steal. And the Failcons showed all the world how NOT to move on from a franchise QB.

As soon as it was publiziced that Atlanta was in the bidding for Watson, it was over for Ryan. That was such an insult, Ryan was done with the team. This is why Gutey steadfastly stonewalled all talk of trading AR and made zero moves towards it. You don't burn the bridge until you're across it.

And since Ryan was done with the Falcons, it was cut or trade, and other teams knew it. Getting a measly 3rd rounder while you eat a 40M cap hit is a TERRIBLE trade. They have 55M of dead cap due to Ryan and Julio Jones. Their star WR is suspended indefinitely and their roster sucks. Glad I ain't their fan!
By comparison, Guty is really shining this year! He's done so many good things to keep the roster together and get value. Even tho there's a price to be paid in a year or two or three, he's really impressing. Very savvy.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Ok so the Colts spent THIS YEAR’S 1 and 3 on the QB position. And all they have left to show for it are Matt Ryan in his age 36 year, after showing clear signs of decline on the field, and a couple of third round picks? And people are calling them winners?

They got fleeced by the Eagles on the Wentz deal, missed the playoffs somehow when he collapsed. And not they have another aging, has-been at QB, with a big cap number, no succession plan, and massively depleted draft resources.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Mar 2022 11:37
Ok so the Colts spent THIS YEAR’S 1 and 3 on the QB position. And all they have left to show for it are Matt Ryan in his age 36 year, after showing clear signs of decline on the field, and a couple of third round picks? And people are calling them winners?

They got fleeced by the Eagles on the Wentz deal, missed the playoffs somehow when he collapsed. And not they have another aging, has-been at QB, with a big cap number, no succession plan, and massively depleted draft resources.

What happened with Wentz doesn’t really factor into the Ryan deal tho once they decided to punt on Wentz. All that became a sunk cost. To go from nothing to Ryan for a 3rd is not Bad. Ryan could be good for a couple years. ATL Ryan not the best, but worth a 3, his situation in ATL had become not tenable

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

It's wild how the Colts traded for a starting QB a year ago, still owe a first round pick currently, and we're willing to say "hey, sunk cost; no factor right now, what's done is done."

But you spend a 1st round pick on a rookie QB who doesn't turn out to be your future and three years later people are still up in arms.

Obviously the circumstances are different, but the Colts have invested a 2021 2nd round pick, a 2022 first round pick and a 2022 3rd round pick at the QB positions in the past 13 months, and they have a 36-year old with guaranteed 25 and 29 million cap numbers for the 2022 and 2023 season before free agency/retirement, and a pair of 3rd round picks to show for it.

That is absolutely terrible resource management at the QB position. If our own team had done something like that I promise you we'd not be hearing about sunk costs and getting something slightly promising for the next 2 years.

Ryan hasn't thrown for more than 26 TDs or less than 11 INTs since 2018. Wentz had 27 and 7 in 2021 and 2019.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

UGH Z to the Vikings is real.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Mar 2022 13:12
UGH Z to the Vikings is real.
3 years $42M. I'm not that surprised. Gets to work with Mike Smith and Pettine again. They did pretty well by him here.
RIP JustJeff

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Mar 2022 12:23
It's wild how the Colts traded for a starting QB a year ago, still owe a first round pick currently, and we're willing to say "hey, sunk cost; no factor right now, what's done is done."

But you spend a 1st round pick on a rookie QB who doesn't turn out to be your future and three years later people are still up in arms.

Obviously the circumstances are different, but the Colts have invested a 2021 2nd round pick, a 2022 first round pick and a 2022 3rd round pick at the QB positions in the past 13 months, and they have a 36-year old with guaranteed 25 and 29 million cap numbers for the 2022 and 2023 season before free agency/retirement, and a pair of 3rd round picks to show for it.

That is absolutely terrible resource management at the QB position. If our own team had done something like that I promise you we'd not be hearing about sunk costs and getting something slightly promising for the next 2 years.

Ryan hasn't thrown for more than 26 TDs or less than 11 INTs since 2018. Wentz had 27 and 7 in 2021 and 2019.
The trade for Ryan was a good deal, all the rest sucked. You don't trade a 1st for a stopgap, might as well use to roll the dice on a rookie QB.

Looking at the mad QB carouselle this season, it sure puts the Love pick in a different light...

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Mar 2022 12:23
Obviously the circumstances are different
Thats the key phrase.

The colts had a franchise QB who up and quit on them. Since that time, they have been desperate. 5 new QBs in 5 years i believe it is. So despite bad decisions for trying to fill that void in the past (think denver post Manning), when you have a chance to upgrade the position for the following year...you dont think about what you have thrown at the position in the past..you just do what you can do to upgrade the position.

Denver did it by throwing heavy loot at SEA for Wilson, and the Colts got someone in their building that is much better than Wentz..for a meer 3rd round pick. Why wouldnt they do that? Why would they be worried about the past when in one moment they can give a 3 and probably have "Average at worst" QB play for probably three more years. Seems like an easy decision to me.

As for the Packers, we were in a "win now" window. We already had a franchise QB in house, and we really could have used a 1st round WR (especially now), or a 1st round DLmen. So of course we are going to whine about the QB pick when we already had a QB in house. Just look at the drama that pick has caused over the last two years. Its not the same as the Colts situation at all.