2022 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Just putting it out there that some of my favorite WRs in this draft for us are Christian Watson, Alec Pierce, and David Bell and it's likely that none of those are first rounders and if we nabbed 2 of those three we'd be in really good shape.

Watson and Pierce are both height/weight/speed guys AND guys who are locker room gold. Watson is team-first and willing to do whatever is asked and has STs experience. Pierce is a physical dirty work guy. Also team-first and ST experience. Pierce is probably a more advanced route runner, while Watson is the deep threat you'd expect from a 6'4" guy who runs in the 4.3s.

Bell ran a terrible time but runs great routes, has great body control and ball skills, is a physical player, and has all the tools a WR would need to overcome a bad 40-time. His measurables are basically Anquan Bolden's if you want an example of a player with those numbers who found league success.

Anyway, I'm not against most of the 1st rounders or anything. Just throwing some love on my favorite Day 2 types. Bell and Pierce might be late 3rd or early 4th. Watson may have played his way into the top 50, though.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Mar 2022 18:09
Just putting it out there that some of my favorite WRs in this draft for us are Christian Watson, Alec Pierce, and David Bell and it's likely that none of those are first rounders and if we nabbed 2 of those three we'd be in really good shape.

Watson and Pierce are both height/weight/speed guys AND guys who are locker room gold. Watson is team-first and willing to do whatever is asked and has STs experience. Pierce is a physical dirty work guy. Also team-first and ST experience. Pierce is probably a more advanced route runner, while Watson is the deep threat you'd expect from a 6'4" guy who runs in the 4.3s.

Bell ran a terrible time but runs great routes, has great body control and ball skills, is a physical player, and has all the tools a WR would need to overcome a bad 40-time. His measurables are basically Anquan Bolden's if you want an example of a player with those numbers who found league success.

Anyway, I'm not against most of the 1st rounders or anything. Just throwing some love on my favorite Day 2 types. Bell and Pierce might be late 3rd or early 4th. Watson may have played his way into the top 50, though.
It is just impossible to not spend a first on WR, if anything we trade up to get the one we like the most.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Perhaps this is the year that Guty defies expectations/anticipations and picks a WR in round 1! But with the other round 1 pick, is there any doubt that he either gets a heavy or trades back?
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Scott4Pack wrote:
22 Mar 2022 03:14
Perhaps this is the year that Guty defies expectations/anticipations and picks a WR in round 1! But with the other round 1 pick, is there any doubt that he either gets a heavy or trades back?
I would be very much in favor or using one of those 1sts to trade back and wind up with 3 in the 2nd round and 2 in the third. But I agree, it is time for a WR in round #1.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Get DL first then WRs

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

packman114 wrote:
22 Mar 2022 07:02
Get DL first then WRs
who? the best will be long gone prior to slot #22 and none of the rest are worthy of first round selection, Leal, is a part time player, takes plays off, great when he wants to be, Wyatt whom I like for his pass rushing ability is slated as a 2nd round prospect, but might go round one simply because teams need DT's, so I'd consider him with our slot 28 selection, but no higher.

that leaves slot #22 open for one of the top 5 WR's and thats the position we should take, we have a excellent DT in Clark right now, our WR position is bone dry of #1 WR talent.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

We have 2 1s and 2 2s, and all the rest of our picks plus some comps.

The WR room is currently the worst in football by a mile and we arent snagging what is available with B level players like Juju, Pascall, Jamison Crowder etc.

Unless we use some picks and make a splash move for a true WR1, I would say the WR situation warrants attention on Day 1 AND Day 2 of the draft.

I would use 2 of the first 4 picks on the position, then go DL and safety with the other 2.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

This tweet sums up some questions I've had as well. The top WRs don't match the Packers typical thresholds.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
22 Mar 2022 08:51
This tweet sums up some questions I've had as well. The top WRs don't match the Packers typical thresholds.
if the current thresholds bring us guys like Jmon Moore, EQSB, and former TE Lazard...i hope we can adjust those thresholds

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
Burks is a monster, he is exactly what we need, I wont be fooled by his combine showing, he is the Deebo Samual of this draft class, great hands, great burst, with RB skills, we feature a lot of play action schemes, who better to play in a system like that then Burks, if he's still around at slot 22 I'd roll the dice

I'd go for a burner in round two, and there are a bunch of em
Last edited by Yoop on 22 Mar 2022 09:10, edited 1 time in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
22 Mar 2022 09:01
paco wrote:
if the current thresholds bring us guys like Jmon Moore, EQSB, and former TE Lazard...i hope we can adjust those thresholds
no kidding, it's about time we close the door on this D&D plan at WR and actually draft some players that are ready to play at the pro level, at least with the first bite of the apple

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Drj820 wrote:
22 Mar 2022 07:51
We have 2 1s and 2 2s, and all the rest of our picks plus some comps.

The WR room is currently the worst in football by a mile and we arent snagging what is available with B level players like Juju, Pascall, Jamison Crowder etc.

Unless we use some picks and make a splash move for a true WR1, I would say the WR situation warrants attention on Day 1 AND Day 2 of the draft.

I would use 2 of the first 4 picks on the position, then go DL and safety with the other 2.
I could see us spending 3 or even 4 picks on receivers. We need boundary WRs and slots and sure could use returners and ST demons. Cobb and Amari did so little that Lazard is the only roster lock.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Davonte was a 2nd round pick. So was Jordy. Donald Driver was a late round pick.

I still like Burks from Arkansas

The kid is BIG. If he lost 10 pounds he would still be big and that 40 time and 3 cone time would be better. But I like the idea of punishing DB's.
Last edited by TheSkeptic on 22 Mar 2022 09:26, edited 1 time in total.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I wonder if Amari is in the Packers plans in terms of someone they think they can rely on next year. Like do they think..."hel be on the roster" or "We have a receiver, we have Amari"

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Drj820 wrote:
22 Mar 2022 09:24
I wonder if Amari is in the Packers plans in terms of someone they think they can rely on next year. Like do they think..."hel be on the roster" or "We have a receiver, we have Amari"
I am afraid he is a bust.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

TheSkeptic wrote:
22 Mar 2022 09:27
Drj820 wrote:
Don't be afraid a 3rd round WR is a bust after 1 year. He was never going to get a lot of opportunity to even try to make a difference (other than returning) last year. I told you guys, but people didn't listen. He was behind Adams, Cobb, MVS, Lazard, Jones, Tonyan, ESB, and probably more from a snaps perspective going in.

Give him time. He may still bust, but you have to give him more than 1 season.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
22 Mar 2022 09:34
TheSkeptic wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
Don't be afraid a 3rd round WR is a bust after 1 year. He was never going to get a lot of opportunity to even try to make a difference (other than returning) last year. I told you guys, but people didn't listen. He was behind Adams, Cobb, MVS, Lazard, Jones, Tonyan, ESB, and probably more from a snaps perspective going in.

I disagree with you that he was never going to get an opportunity to make a difference. I think the team had pretty big plans for him, and he just never shown himself capable at any point when given opportunities. He may not be a bust overall in the end, but his rookie campaign was disappointing to fans...and I would say probably even to the org. I think they felt they grabbed a "steal" with him in round 3. It now appears they grabbed an egg.

Cobb was out the second half of the year, MVS was out several weeks at the end of the year, Tonyan was out the second half of the year, ESB was god awful and injured too. Point being...by the second half of the year it would have been very helpful for him to come along and be able to contribute...these are things we was never able to do. Sadly. For him and the team.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
22 Mar 2022 09:40
paco wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:

I disagree with you that he was never going to get an opportunity to make a difference. I think the team had pretty big plans for him, and he just never shown himself capable at any point when given opportunities. He may not be a bust overall in the end, but his rookie campaign was disappointing to fans...and I would say probably even to the org. I think they felt they grabbed a "steal" with him in round 3. It now appears they grabbed an egg.

Cobb was out the second half of the year, MVS was out several weeks at the end of the year, Tonyan was out the second half of the year, ESB was god awful and injured too. Point being...by the second half of the year it would have been very helpful for him to come along and be able to contribute...these are things we was never able to do. Sadly. For him and the team.
We definitely agree, he didn't have a good rookie year. The difference was, I wasn't that surprised. I believe in my pre-season predictions, I said he'd end up with little to no production as a WR. It would have been nice had he been able to come on later when the opportunity presented itself. But he didn't.

The light doesn't come on for everyone right away. Do we need to keep reminding people about Davante and everyone wanting to run him out of town? Yes, I was one ready to move on too before he exploded. James Jones wasn't great at the beginning either.

The Packers haven't given up on Rodgers. Give him a chance to redeem himself.
RIP JustJeff

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

paco wrote:
22 Mar 2022 09:50
Drj820 wrote:
paco wrote:

We definitely agree, he didn't have a good rookie year. The difference was, I wasn't that surprised. I believe in my pre-season predictions, I said he'd end up with little to no production as a WR. It would have been nice had he been able to come on later when the opportunity presented itself. But he didn't.

The light doesn't come on for everyone right away. Do we need to keep reminding people about Davante and everyone wanting to run him out of town? Yes, I was one ready to move on too before he exploded. James Jones wasn't great at the beginning either.

Of course we're gonna give Amari another camp to prove himself.

For me, the problem was that he showed zero promise. Amari looked too slow and stiff to create separation. He didn't have great moves to create separation either. He wasn't elusive in space, and can't bowl people over. Didn't have speed to do the Ervin sweep. Was sub-par as a returner.

It would take one amazing off-season transformation for him to become even adequate. Not saying impossible, but I sure ain't expecting it.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
22 Mar 2022 10:13
paco wrote:
22 Mar 2022 09:50
Drj820 wrote:

Of course we're gonna give Amari another camp to prove himself.

For me, the problem was that he showed zero promise. Amari looked too slow and stiff to create separation. He didn't have great moves to create separation either. He wasn't elusive in space, and can't bowl people over. Didn't have speed to do the Ervin sweep. Was sub-par as a returner.

It would take one amazing off-season transformation for him to become even adequate. Not saying impossible, but I sure ain't expecting it.
about how I feel, and I would never expect a 3rd round WR to be NFL ready, however he wasn't ready to return kicks either, as they say he wasn't ready for prime time.

people where so wrong about Adams though his second year, so obvious that injuring his ankle led to loss of confidence, then later he twisted his knee, Tae showed a ton of promise as a rookie behind two PB bound receivers in Cobb and Nelson, minus those injury's and he would have broken out a year sooner.

any of these top 6 or 7 receivers is ready to play.