2022 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Looks like Wydermyer's stock is in the toilet. Putting together a bad pro day from the sounds of it. Plus many said he had average tape. Saw a lot of people mention him early in the process as a target for the Packers. Saw his stock as high as the 3rd early on.
RIP JustJeff

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

My problem with Rodgers is not lack of production as a WR. That was to be expected as a rookie.

My problem is that he looked slow, looked to have poor quickness, had very little open field running ability and lacked judgement AS A PUNT RETURNER.

He will certainly get an offseason to improve his physical fitness and a preseason to see if he can run routes and make difficult catches but don't be surprised if he is a September cut. I am afraid he does not have the physical tools

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yeah, my WR comments were just pointing out that the difference between getting a guy at 22 and getting a guy at 40 might not be as big as the news cycle between those rounds makes it out to be...

but yeah, of our 5 picks in the first 3 rounds, I'd like to see probably 2 WRs picked; of our 7 picks in the first 4 rounds, DEFINITELY at least 2 WRs, and I'd accept 3.

I'm not going soft on the WR need, but just pointing out that we're in a deep class with a lot of options and when those 2 or 3 guys come from in the draft matters a lot less to me than it sounds like it matters to most people.

Like, I would genuinely rather draft Christian Watson than Chris Olave, regardless of the draft slot. I like the prospect better. So I guess I'm less enamored with "the first round WRs"

I LOVE Trey Burks, but without Adams in the fold, I'm concerned about who on the team is getting quick separation. So he's a fit, but he also narrows what we can target in secondary receiver options. We'd have to find a great separator/route runner in the 2nd or 3rd after adding Burks in the first. It feels path dependent and limiting in that way. I wouldn't complain about getting him, though, obviously.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Drj820 wrote:
22 Mar 2022 09:01
paco wrote:
22 Mar 2022 08:51
This tweet sums up some questions I've had as well. The top WRs don't match the Packers typical thresholds.
if the current thresholds bring us guys like Jmon Moore, EQSB, and former TE Lazard...i hope we can adjust those thresholds
I hope the front office is taking a hard look at their WR tendencies. It seems like they were putting too much emphasis on size, and last year they got blinded by Cobb 2.0 comparisons (Amari Rodgers).

I am not ready to give up on Amari as a receiver, but as a returner, however, I am willing to give up. :lol:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Ya know who fits the Packers' threshholds?

Christian Watson:
image.png
image.png (47.85 KiB) Viewed 340 times
Alec Pierce:
image.png
image.png (50.64 KiB) Viewed 340 times
This is what I'm talking about here guys. They are PERFECT fits for who we like and they are personality and attitudinal fits with the team, as well. We need guys who are team first in a run heavy scheme that relies a lot on WR blocking; we need bigger guys who are also physically imposing to wear down the smaller DBs, too. And we need some blend of speed and separation to account for what we've lost in Adams and are possibly losing in MVS.

Height/Weight/Speed/production/attitude

It's Packer people to a tee.

I think Jameson Williams is a fit, as well. I'm not buying the "too skinny" despite my mention of physical receivers.

And just a reminder about "Packer WR threshholds" with Day Two guys, not Day Three examples....

Jennings. Jordy. Cobb. Adams. All picked between 34 and 62. James Jones in the 3rd round.

Reminder, though, Jones and Adams 40-times weren't great. Jordy's and Cobbs were adequate. So guys like David Bell and Trey Burks who ran in the 4.5s-4.6s. As long as they have other athletic traits.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I find it difficult to see that we don't come out of the draft without 1 of Watson and Pierce.

Random question, Would you give up both 1sts or a 22+2nd+ to get up into the top 10 and take Travon Walker?
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Mar 2022 12:29
Yeah, my WR comments were just pointing out that the difference between getting a guy at 22 and getting a guy at 40 might not be as big as the news cycle between those rounds makes it out to be...

but yeah, of our 5 picks in the first 3 rounds, I'd like to see probably 2 WRs picked; of our 7 picks in the first 4 rounds, DEFINITELY at least 2 WRs, and I'd accept 3.

I'm not going soft on the WR need, but just pointing out that we're in a deep class with a lot of options and when those 2 or 3 guys come from in the draft matters a lot less to me than it sounds like it matters to most people.

Like, I would genuinely rather draft Christian Watson than Chris Olave, regardless of the draft slot. I like the prospect better. So I guess I'm less enamored with "the first round WRs"

I LOVE Trey Burks, but without Adams in the fold, I'm concerned about who on the team is getting quick separation. So he's a fit, but he also narrows what we can target in secondary receiver options. We'd have to find a great separator/route runner in the 2nd or 3rd after adding Burks in the first. It feels path dependent and limiting in that way. I wouldn't complain about getting him, though, obviously.
Burks imo is what we hoped Montgomery might become, but didn't, basically a RB with hands, so I agree if we should take him ( probably wont drop to us) then I agree we will have to take a sprinter to stretch the defense later, and there is a bunch of em, your big guy Watson would work, so would Metchie and Moore, and obviously there will be good prospects later as well, we couldn't ask for a better class to rebuild the WR position.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
22 Mar 2022 13:13
Random question, Would you give up both 1sts or a 22+2nd+ to get up into the top 10 and take Travon Walker?
That's tough.

I think 2 things about this edge class.
1) it is DEEP. There are guys throughout this draft that will contribute in the NFL.
2) despite the "guys that can play" depth, the surefire guys will be gone before 22.

So the first says "don't trade up. Take a swing on Drake Jackson or Boye Mafe or Nic Bonito in round 2." The second says "yeah but there is some REAL fire up top," and Walker is the best "oh hey maybe this is Gary but on a faster development path" there is out there. He, in fact, beat Gary's record for the fastest 40 over 270 pounds, if I recall (4.51 to Gary's 4.58, but Gary might have been "fastest over 275, who knows)

Anyway, I'd lean against it because I think we need an influx of cheap talent to balance the big spending and trading up hurts that. But I get the temptation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Mar 2022 13:19
paco wrote:
22 Mar 2022 13:13
That's tough.

I think 2 things about this edge class.
1) it is DEEP. There are guys throughout this draft that will contribute in the NFL.
2) despite the "guys that can play" depth, the surefire guys will be gone before 22.

So the first says "don't trade up. Take a swing on Drake Jackson or Boye Mafe or Nic Bonito in round 2." The second says "yeah but there is some REAL fire up top," and Walker is the best "oh hey maybe this is Gary but on a faster development path" there is out there. He, in fact, beat Gary's record for the fastest 40 over 270 pounds, if I recall (4.51 to Gary's 4.58, but Gary might have been "fastest over 275, who knows)

Anyway, I'd lean against it because I think we need an influx of cheap talent to balance the big spending and trading up hurts that. But I get the temptation.
I was curious how much people thought of Walker and if he was worth it. Mafe seems to be rising and I've seen mocks with us grabbing him at 28.

We definitely have the ammo to move up, even if not for Edge. Both firsts could get us in at 6. I'm not usually a big fan of trading up like that. Especially when I don't know the draft that well like this year.

But I've been toying with it. Still managed a mock that got us Walker, Burks, and Watson with the first 3 picks. But that was a couple of moves and left a decent gap in picks later on.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Mar 2022 12:58
Ya know who fits the Packers' threshholds?

Christian Watson:
image.png

Alec Pierce:
image.png

This is what I'm talking about here guys. They are PERFECT fits for who we like and they are personality and attitudinal fits with the team, as well. We need guys who are team first in a run heavy scheme that relies a lot on WR blocking; we need bigger guys who are also physically imposing to wear down the smaller DBs, too. And we need some blend of speed and separation to account for what we've lost in Adams and are possibly losing in MVS.

Height/Weight/Speed/production/attitude

It's Packer people to a tee.

I think Jameson Williams is a fit, as well. I'm not buying the "too skinny" despite my mention of physical receivers.

And just a reminder about "Packer WR threshholds" with Day Two guys, not Day Three examples....

Jennings. Jordy. Cobb. Adams. All picked between 34 and 62. James Jones in the 3rd round.

Reminder, though, Jones and Adams 40-times weren't great. Jordy's and Cobbs were adequate. So guys like David Bell and Trey Burks who ran in the 4.5s-4.6s. As long as they have other athletic traits.
Ted loved productive college WRs. Don’t see that at the combine, but check out like Jones, Tae, Jennings, Jordy, etc.

Hard to tell with Gute as he hasn’t taken any WRs early. But that was always an underrated aspect of Teds WR ‘thresholds’, to be productive on the field.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Speaking of injuries and draft status.

How would we feel about the recovery guys? Metchie, Jameson Williams, David Ojabo?

I feel like my IDEAL first round would be Ojabo and his blown achilles at 22 and Williams and his blown ACL at 28, possibly getting no impact from the first round rookies until midseason. And I feel like that would be really hard for a lot of people to swallow. But long-term, the short injury-related absences make then draft bargain possibilities. And we can fill other needs with our 3 Day Two picks, as well.

22. Ojabo
28. Williams
53. WR Christian Watson
59. Nickel/S Jalen Petri
92. WR Alec Pierce or David Bell
132. OL Luke Godecki
140. DL Eyioma Uwazurike (6'6" 316 pound 4i and 3T prospect; listed some places as an end or edge, which is... not quite right)

Prosper.

(yes I know a lot of those guys will probably go 10-15 picks higher than I just listed them. That's why it's ideal)

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Mar 2022 14:35

How would we feel about the recovery guys? Metchie, Jameson Williams, David Ojabo?

I feel like my IDEAL first round would be Ojabo and his blown achilles at 22 and Williams and his blown ACL at 28, possibly getting no impact from the first round rookies until midseason. And I feel like that would be really hard for a lot of people to swallow. But long-term, the short injury-related absences make then draft bargain possibilities. And we can fill other needs with our 3 Day Two picks, as well.

22. Ojabo
28. Williams
53. WR Christian Watson
59. Nickel/S Jalen Petri
132. OL Luke Godecki
140. DL Eyioma Uwazurike (6'6" 316 pound 4i and 3T prospect; listed some places as an end or edge, which is... not quite right)

Prosper.

(yes I know a lot of those guys will probably go 10-15 picks higher than I just listed them. That's why it's ideal)
No.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I can't $%@# with Achilles injuries, least of all from skills guys. Those are bad news. ACL, sure. Achilles, hard pass.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

YoHoChecko wrote:

22. Ojabo
28. Williams
53. WR Christian Watson
59. Nickel/S Jalen Petri
132. OL Luke Godecki

Prosper.

I think ojabo falls to the 2nd but yes yes yes on Williams long term this brings in big talents. Hell throw Adam Anderson in there also. :aok:

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

If I'm Detroit I'm taking Walker 2nd yea I'm that high on him and think he has the Garrett watt type game wrecker. He's not there yet but in 3 years like Gary he's gonna take the league over

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

Labrev wrote:
22 Mar 2022 15:06
I can't $%@# with Achilles injuries, least of all from skills guys. Those are bad news. ACL, sure. Achilles, hard pass.
Agree. Seems like a great kid. Not sure why he did a pro day.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

I like Olave and Burks.

Olave had speed, quickness and decent hands as well.

Burks tape just looks like Deebo.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

YoHoChecko wrote:

22. Ojabo
28. Williams
53. WR Christian Watson
59. Nickel/S Jalen Petri
132. OL Luke Godecki

Prosper.

In a normal year, I'd be all for getting injury discounted talent. But not now. The AR situation being what it is, it's time to try to draft for the short term (feels dirty writing that :) ).

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

salmar80 wrote:
22 Mar 2022 23:11

In a normal year, I'd be all for getting injury discounted talent. But not now. The AR situation being what it is, it's time to try to draft for the short term (feels dirty writing that :) ).
It’s interesting. Andy Herman has been saying similar things on his videos—hope you don’t want too many guys returning from injury.

I sort of feel the opposite. The way I see it, we’re winning the North again this year. It’s not 100% but it’s a pretty good bet. Our seasons now are about January, not about September.

I look at guys coming off of injuries but otherwise talented as reinforcements arriving fresh mid-season and ramping up for a playoff run. Not just with rookies, and it’s more complicated with rookies since that means they miss camp. But I’m just not overly concerned with the regular season this year. Get to the playoffs, be ready.

Guys who present draft value because of temporary ailments, then, appeal to me even in a “win now” year.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Mar 2022 06:44
I look at guys coming off of injuries but otherwise talented as reinforcements arriving fresh mid-season and ramping up for a playoff run.
Kinda like last year, you mean? :mrgreen: ;)