Veteran WR Options

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Isn’t Boykin just EQ?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I’ll toss out a few other names, more complimentary veterans who potentially wouldn’t make the final 53, especially with a WR heavy draft.

TY Hilton, age and injuries starting to slow in production, numbers going down. Has had poor QBs in recent memory. Might be worth a look.

Albert Wilson, small little jet sweep, kick returner, add on. Limited production recent years as well, although Tua can’t get that ball deep to him.

Keenan Cole, consistently in that 500-700 yard range with the QBs they’ve had in Jacksonville and the Jets. Also a ST players, kick returner and some punts. Only 28. Could potentially be like a Devondre/Rasul addon, just needs a good fit and good QB and he could really add something to the team.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

DK is the frame of a WR we would love. He probably thinks he is in line for top of the market money though. I just do not see that. Hes no Justin Jefferson to me. But he is awesome and I would love to have him.

Cost probably too high tho for my taste
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Mar 2022 08:42
DK is the frame of a WR we would love. He probably thinks he is in line for top of the market money though. I just do not see that. Hes no Justin Jefferson to me. But he is awesome and I would love to have him.

Yeaaaah. I tend to think it's ok to pay EITHER a big contract, OR trade high draft picks for non-QBs.

When you do both, the cost becomes so high the player has little chance to be worth it when compared with sensible alternative moves (See: Khalil vs Smiths & Gary). Giving up what it would require to get DK, AND then giving him a mega-extension... I'd only do that if AR has secretly said this is his last season with GB.

Otherwise I'd rather draft the next Metcalf or three, and still have cap room for maybe a key STs guy or an undervalued slot WR or returner.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
24 Mar 2022 09:21
Drj820 wrote:
24 Mar 2022 08:42

Yeaaaah. I tend to think it's ok to pay EITHER a big contract, OR trade high draft picks for non-QBs.

When you do both, the cost becomes so high the player has little chance to be worth it when compared with sensible alternative moves (See: Khalil vs Smiths & Gary). Giving up what it would require to get DK, AND then giving him a mega-extension... I'd only do that if AR has secretly said this is his last season with GB.

Otherwise I'd rather draft the next Metcalf or three, and still have cap room for maybe a key STs guy or an undervalued slot WR or returner.
If we havn't learned that it is better to have two very good receivers versus 1 all pro we never will, and this draft class has a bunch of very good prospects, so imo we should take one of the top prospects and another in the 2nd round, we could rebuild the WR position in one draft class.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
24 Mar 2022 08:37
I’ll toss out a few other names, more complimentary veterans who potentially wouldn’t make the final 53, especially with a WR heavy draft.

TY Hilton, age and injuries starting to slow in production, numbers going down. Has had poor QBs in recent memory. Might be worth a look.

Albert Wilson, small little jet sweep, kick returner, add on. Limited production recent years as well, although Tua can’t get that ball deep to him.

Keenan Cole, consistently in that 500-700 yard range with the QBs they’ve had in Jacksonville and the Jets. Also a ST players, kick returner and some punts. Only 28. Could potentially be like a Devondre/Rasul addon, just needs a good fit and good QB and he could really add something to the team.
I was looking at Keenan Cole, too. Solid player who has been stuck with sub-par QBs most of his career. I'd bet he's better than his career numbers suggest.

DeVante Parker is still prob my fav bargain target right now. He makes a lot of sense as a player and contractually.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

The Miami WR purge has begun:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB wrote:
24 Mar 2022 10:57
The Miami WR purge has begun:

I’m always a sucker for picking up someone who was waived over an FA.

Don’t want to lose that 6th round comp pick for Lucas Patrick next year.

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/ ... r-packers/

I would be happy taking a stab at either Slayton and Shenault and then a draft pick or two.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

kampmanfan4life wrote:
24 Mar 2022 12:29

I would be happy taking a stab at either Slayton and Shenault and then a draft pick or two.
I really wanted Slayton at the trade deadline last year.

Not just for the cheap help last year, but for this situation. To have someone who knows the playbook and team in the event MVS and/or Adams and/or Cobb and/or Lazard weren’t back.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

kampmanfan4life wrote:

I really like both of them.

Read More. Post Less.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

kampmanfan4life wrote:

I had forgotten there was a year overlap with MLF and Corey Davis in TN. Now I'm intrigued with his availability.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Welp, with MVS now officially gone, a speedster and a No.1 are definite needs.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Gutey doing too much hand sitting :lol:

I wanted both MVS and Z back. But not at either of their contracts.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Laviska is from my neck of the woods, would love to have him on the Packers.

Also another name I'd like to see given a shot: Funchess

He would have been our 2nd best WR last year but we cut him for dumb reasons.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I think the Chiefs are thinking they can replace one fast guy with another fast guy, but I think they will be sorely mistaken.

But if they're actually right then it will raise serious questions about how we were using him while he was here.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

My current position is to trade no higher than a third for Corey Davis or a 4th for DeVante Parker and then use the draft to fill the position group with youth.

Are those values ballpark reasonable? Is there a site that offers estimated trade value for players?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB wrote:
24 Mar 2022 15:35
My current position is to trade no higher than a third for Corey Davis or a 4th for DeVante Parker and then use the draft to fill the position group with youth.

Are those values ballpark reasonable? Is there a site that offers estimated trade value for players?
A third for Corey Davis? The guy we could have had for free last year?

And he's coming in about 12 million per in 2022 and 2023.

I'd say more like a 6th if the Jets want out, and maybe if he'd take a pay cut or something.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
24 Mar 2022 16:02
I'd say more like a 6th if the Jets want out, and maybe if he'd take a pay cut or something.
In this market? Yeah, right.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

APB wrote:
24 Mar 2022 16:25
BF004 wrote:
24 Mar 2022 16:02
In this market? Yeah, right.
I agree with BF. No way am I giving up a 3rd for a middling WR on a big contract. Could have just resigned MVS.

Read More. Post Less.