2022 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
23 Mar 2022 06:51
YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Mar 2022 06:44
I look at guys coming off of injuries but otherwise talented as reinforcements arriving fresh mid-season and ramping up for a playoff run.
Kinda like last year, you mean? :mrgreen: ;)
Exactly like last year. Except with the reinforcements including offensive playmakers and the returns coming in time to get them worked into the game, not AT the playoffs.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
salmar80 wrote:
22 Mar 2022 23:11

In a normal year, I'd be all for getting injury discounted talent. But not now. The AR situation being what it is, it's time to try to draft for the short term (feels dirty writing that :) ).
It’s interesting. Andy Herman has been saying similar things on his videos—hope you don’t want too many guys returning from injury.

I sort of feel the opposite. The way I see it, we’re winning the North again this year. It’s not 100% but it’s a pretty good bet. Our seasons now are about January, not about September.

I look at guys coming off of injuries but otherwise talented as reinforcements arriving fresh mid-season and ramping up for a playoff run. Not just with rookies, and it’s more complicated with rookies since that means they miss camp. But I’m just not overly concerned with the regular season this year. Get to the playoffs, be ready.

Guys who present draft value because of temporary ailments, then, appeal to me even in a “win now” year.
I would rather go 10-7, win the north, and tinker all year long constantly trying out new wrinkles and player combos...literally treating some games like a practice...with the intention of practicing for maximum readiness for January

Than go 14-3 hammering all year long what works against 90% of the league, as in what is good enough to beat 90% of the league...when its obvious come January we will not be facing the 90%, but rather the top 10%...that can beat what we do all year long
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

There's a guy in this draft whose pre-draft impressions are SO similar to Z I almost have to have him.

Same school (Kentucky).
Similar size (slightly shorter, but longer arms)
Relentless effort and locker room leader
Mid-round draft projections
Similar testing
mid-single digit sack numbers in college seasons

Josh Paschal. If he's there in the 4th, I gotta have him

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Mar 2022 12:33
There's a guy in this draft whose pre-draft impressions are SO similar to Z I almost have to have him.

Same school (Kentucky).
Similar testing

Agree. I thought he was projected higher though.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Realist wrote:
23 Mar 2022 12:37
YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Mar 2022 12:33

Same school (Kentucky).
Similar testing

Agree. I thought he was projected higher though.
I've seen him all over the place. As high as 2nd round and as low as 6th. But I started narrowing in on him as a potential mid-round guy as well.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
23 Mar 2022 12:42
I've seen him all over the place. As high as 2nd round and as low as 6th. But I started narrowing in on him as a potential mid-round guy as well.
I took the average

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Mar 2022 09:04
APB wrote:
23 Mar 2022 06:51
YoHoChecko wrote:
I look at guys coming off of injuries but otherwise talented as reinforcements arriving fresh mid-season and ramping up for a playoff run.
Kinda like last year, you mean? :mrgreen: ;)
Exactly like last year. Except with the reinforcements including offensive playmakers and the returns coming in time to get them worked into the game, not AT the playoffs.
that works out pretty well for vet players, guys that know and have had prior success in the schemes used, don't think we'd get the same results from rookies, obviously some positions are more easily adapted to for any player, and imo WR certainly qualifies as such, still chemistry has to be established with Rodgers, and starting that process mid season wouldn't be easy.

we still have a window now, ( according to Andy Brandt it's a very short one year window) so I'd opt for less ceiling and more ready to play now receiver types, I doubt Williams will drop much anyway, I didn't know watson had a injury? or did I mistake what you wrote?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
23 Mar 2022 14:16
we still have a window now, ( according to Andy Brandt it's a very short one year window) so I'd opt for less ceiling and more ready to play now receiver types, I doubt Williams will drop much anyway, I didn't know watson had a injury? or did I mistake what you wrote?
Watson doesn't have an injury; that's just me fleshing out the rest of the draft I'd want if we took the injured guys in the first. You're probably right about them dropping.

As for "ready" versus "ceiling," it's just not how the Packers do it. You can hope for ready AND ceiling, but first rounders are going to be elite athletes. The ceiling is the key to this front office. It's tough to get ready and ceiling outside the top 10 or 15, unless it's at a non-premium position like safety or LB.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I'm guessing we can remove Jahan Dotson from the draft board...

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

So who in this draft would you want to move up from
22 for?

Might need to if you really like one of the top ~4 WRs over the others.

I keep wanting to say Jordan Davis, but just not impressed enough with him.

Can’t really think of anyone else. I like the corners, but zero need for pick 22+ others

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
23 Mar 2022 15:14

I mean I removed him last fall when I looked at his size. It's wild how many mocks have paired us with him over the past year.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
23 Mar 2022 15:23
22 for?

Can’t really think of anyone else. I like the corners, but zero need for pick 22+ others
I can't think of anyone. If I could get a top ten pick and one of the top 3 pass rushers was there, I'd think about it. But multiple picks for a pass rusher when we need multiple receivers doesn't feel good.

I love both of the UGA DTs, but I don't feel like it's a premium enough position to move up. I wish we were sitting at like 19 instead of 22, but not so much that I'd throw a pick away.

I know I'm ALWAYS pro-stockpiling picks, but given the cap work we've done, we really REALLY need a lot of rookie contract contributors over the next 3 years while the cap catches up to our spending.

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Mar 2022 15:37
BF004 wrote:
22 for?

I can't think of anyone. If I could get a top ten pick and one of the top 3 pass rushers was there, I'd think about it. But multiple picks for a pass rusher when we need multiple receivers doesn't feel good.

I love both of the UGA DTs, but I don't feel like it's a premium enough position to move up. I wish we were sitting at like 19 instead of 22, but not so much that I'd throw a pick away.

I know I'm ALWAYS pro-stockpiling picks, but given the cap work we've done, we really REALLY need a lot of rookie contract contributors over the next 3 years while the cap catches up to our spending.
I would rather trade down as opposed to up given Gute's trade up history. I hope they stay put and take 4 swings in first and second. Jordan Davis is a combine darling but checkout his snap count. When the d at Georgia played 60 some snaps and above against clemson michigan and alabama he play 20 some. They wanted him to play 340 pds but he played at 360. He got in shape for the combine which was smart for him but I dont trust him.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Mar 2022 15:37
BF004 wrote:
22 for?

Maybe Kyle Hamilton if he falls, but only a short move up and I would probably still hate it for a safety, but feel like he could transform our D the same way Campbell did a year ago.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

The more I watch, the more I don’t know what this guy is. What is he?

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
23 Mar 2022 17:47
The more I watch, the more I don’t know what this guy is. What is he?

He’s MVS two years into his development with better locker room presence

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

:shock:
Dude may go in the 1st.
Screenshot_20220323-181332_Twitter.jpg
Screenshot_20220323-181332_Twitter.jpg (482.83 KiB) Viewed 221 times
RIP JustJeff

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

Probably a mid round guy who I really like is Matthew Butler. He played a ton of snaps for a defensive lineman, people say he had a non-stop motor and stronger than his size indicates.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Mar 2022 15:33
APB wrote:
23 Mar 2022 15:14

I mean I removed him last fall when I looked at his size. It's wild how many mocks have paired us with him over the past year.
Then again...

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Asking again: Anyone know any good places for prospect tape? Except searching Youtube prospect by prospect...

I used to know the good ones, but fell outta the loop last year. Looks like my go-to guy no longer does the awesome spreadsheets, must've grown up or something.

Anyone have any experience with this? https://www.patreon.com/CaddysCutups