2022 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Mar 2022 15:34
The issue for me is whether or not he has the drive to work on the finer points of the game; look at his scouting reports and it indicates "lackadazical" cuts or imprecise route running.

These are teachable/coachable. But they're also the kind of things that I'd have liked to see progress throughout his college career to indicate that he'll take the work seriously and improve to his potential in the pros.
thats about how draft scout describes Pickens, immature on and off the field, Punched A team mate along with the water bottle incident, and lacks refinement as a route runner, Sounds like Picket has gotten by, excelled actually on god given physical ability quite a bit in college, not the impression I got from Buzz feed or WAlters.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pickens is super nice. Gotta remember he played in a run first offense and his QB was trash.

He probably is immature and he may not run the cleanest routes (idk), but his talent is astronomical
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

With 2 1s and 2 2s in the draft, the packers have the firepower to go get whichever WR they want the most. Whoever that may be, they should go get him.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YohoChecko wrote:And I think that Drake London, Jameson Williams, Christian Watson, and Alec Pierce are the best combination of size, speed, talent, and attitude in this draft.
I am really starting to warm to Alec Pierce. He reminds me of Jordy in many ways. Big guy, deceptively fast, fantastic body control, and wins the contested ball battles. If his work ethic and demeanor are as you say, I’d be more than happy seeing him in Green and Gold.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Packers need to use their first 4 picks on quick impact guys...because we won’t have the cap
Space to resign these guys when they are ready to get paid in 4 years. We need to use the cheap labor while we can!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

:aok:
NCF wrote:
27 Mar 2022 17:27
What are the reviews on Draft Guides anyone has purchased? Any of them worth it?
I have been liking that franchise guy. Posts actually videos. Don’t love him, but I’d say more importantly I don’t hate him.

Fun watch here if you got some time. Packers make a move up :aok: :aok:

Video on the top WRs

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
28 Mar 2022 18:14
Packers need to use their first 4 picks on quick impact guys...because we won’t have the cap
Space to resign these guys when they are ready to get paid in 4 years. We need to use the cheap labor while we can!
Yes we will, because everyone else will be gone.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
28 Mar 2022 18:13
YohoChecko wrote:And I think that Drake London, Jameson Williams, Christian Watson, and Alec Pierce are the best combination of size, speed, talent, and attitude in this draft.
I am really starting to warm to Alec Pierce. He reminds me of Jordy in many ways. Big guy, deceptively fast, fantastic body control, and wins the contested ball battles. If his work ethic and demeanor are as you say, I’d be more than happy seeing him in Green and Gold.
I, like, didn't wanna make the comparison because it felt too easy, but like... yeah. Samesies.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
28 Mar 2022 19:22
:aok:
NCF wrote:
27 Mar 2022 17:27
What are the reviews on Draft Guides anyone has purchased? Any of them worth it?
I have been liking that franchise guy. Posts actually videos. Don’t love him, but I’d say more importantly I don’t hate him.

Fun watch here if you got some time. Packers make a move up :aok: :aok:

Video on the top WRs
I like it, and Gute is a double dipper, I've liked Burks for us right from the start of looking at WR options, he's big and I expect will be durable, not clock fast, but he'll get open quick, and his after the catch running will move the chains.
most of us like Watson, as this guy says, he's a rich mans MVS, more polished, and has that speed, good replacement.

He's probably right though, we wont trade our 2nd round picks to move up 9 spots in round one, thats huge compensation, and if we did, we might as well move up enough to get Wilson :idn: thanks for sharing.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Burks is the only one I would move up to get. Its also possible he is available at #22. But I also think that the Packers need a slot WR and need Dline help and a Safety or a pass rusher would be nice too. Using a 3rd or 4th round pick to move up a few picks to be sure of getting Burks is fine but those top 4 draft picks are too valuable to be trading up with.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Anyone else think mid-round RB is a bigger priority than most seem to think? I really think when the salary cap repair time comes, RB is such an easy position to just start over at. Depending on exactly when it hits, I see Jones cut and Dillon not re-signed. That leaves us with Kylin Hill (coming off an ACL this year) with a small contract window remaining before he likely walks. I think next year is even more important, but I would not be surprised to see a RB drafted higher than most think in that Round 4-6 range.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
29 Mar 2022 09:42
Anyone else think mid-round RB is a bigger priority than most seem to think? I really think when the salary cap repair time comes, RB is such an easy position to just start over at. Depending on exactly when it hits, I see Jones cut and Dillon not re-signed. That leaves us with Kylin Hill (coming off an ACL this year) with a small contract window remaining before he likely walks. I think next year is even more important, but I would not be surprised to see a RB drafted higher than most think in that Round 4-6 range.
I seriously cannot envision a world where AJ Dillon isn't a Packer for the rest of his career.

I don't think anyone has embraced Packer culture more than AJ Dillon this early in his career to be honest.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
29 Mar 2022 09:25
Burks is the only one I would move up to get. Its also possible he is available at #22. But I also think that the Packers need a slot WR and need Dline help and a Safety or a pass rusher would be nice too. Using a 3rd or 4th round pick to move up a few picks to be sure of getting Burks is fine but those top 4 draft picks are too valuable to be trading up with.
Agree, if we are basically using 22 and a 2nd to get a WR, that basically turns trading Davante Adams for one rookie receiver.

Just wouldn't love that whole turnaround tbh.

Our 3rd plus 22 gets us a perfect match (296 points to 296 points on TVC) for pick 17 with the Chargers.

Doubt Philly will be looking to trade down with 15, 16, or 19, but our 4th could probably get us to 19. We'd come up a little short on points, but if Philly is looking for a trade back, that might work, maybe toss in another late rounder.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

NCF wrote:
Don't claim to understand the cap any more than anyone else (boy, for the good old days), but doesn't Jones' $13.6 mil dead cap and overall net of about $8 mil against the cap pretty much prevent this?

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Half Empty wrote:
29 Mar 2022 10:00
NCF wrote:
Don't claim to understand the cap any more than anyone else (boy, for the good old days), but doesn't Jones' $13.6 mil dead cap and overall net of about $8 mil against the cap pretty much prevent this?
Per Spotrac here's Jones' contract. Hard seeing him on the team in 2023 with these numbers.
image.png
image.png (94.22 KiB) Viewed 186 times
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
29 Mar 2022 09:46
NCF wrote:
I seriously cannot envision a world where AJ Dillon isn't a Packer for the rest of his career.

I don't think anyone has embraced Packer culture more than AJ Dillon this early in his career to be honest.
I agree, dollars, production, alternatives, and business decisions can always get in the way, either way. But he should get a 2nd contract I hope.

To answer NCF, maybe not this year yet. I am quite high on Kylin HIll, I would really like to see how he comes back after his injury.

Aaron Jones does have a 20 million cap hit next year and we get >10 million in cap savings if we cut him, so next year we can see where Hill and Jones are. If we move off Jones and Hill isn't much, I have no problems bringing in some vet and/or just drafting two guys to pair with Dillon in his final year.

Unless we'd be okay keeping 4 RB's on roster, maybe Jones and Hill both get more of their own hybrid RB/Jet Sweep kind of roll and we can justify 2 RB's on the field more often.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Hill was looking awesome. I hope very much he appears in old form when he makes his return. I could honestly see a world where Dillon and Hill are primary RBs this season and Jones is basically a gadget player that lines up all over the field. Primarily at WR or slot, considering what the rest of that position group looks like.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I absolutely see Hill as Jones’ replacement next year. I love Jones and would hate to see him go, but the contract was clearly for 2 years and then a release or renegotiation.

Hill is the perfect guy to step in for Jones. I honestly think he compares to Kamara and I’ve been saying that since before he was drafted.

But the 4 years of Dillon on cheap rookie deals always felt like two with Jones and two with Hill.

I do like the idea [mention]Drj820[/mention] mentioned of Jones being used in more exotic looks and ways this year to help alleviate the inexperience at WR.

But Hill will need some time to trust his knee again to be that smooth cutter. Will be interesting to see it play out. RB is the one position I just can’t see the team drafting with the four guys we’ve got in house.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Mar 2022 13:16
I absolutely see Hill as Jones’ replacement next year. I love Jones and would hate to see him go, but the contract was clearly for 2 years and then a release or renegotiation.

Hill is the perfect guy to step in for Jones. I honestly think he compares to Kamara and I’ve been saying that since before he was drafted.

But the 4 years of Dillon on cheap rookie deals always felt like two with Jones and two with Hill.

I do like the idea @Drj820 mentioned of Jones being used in more exotic looks and ways this year to help alleviate the inexperience at WR.

But Hill will need some time to trust his knee again to be that smooth cutter. Will be interesting to see it play out. RB is the one position I just can’t see the team drafting with the four guys we’ve got in house.
who was that guy we used late that showed some wiggle and burst, Taylor???? was that his name, I don't have him on my roster sheet ( there has been such turnover it seems my sheet is way out of date

I was not that excited for Dillon when we drafted him, I would have liked to continue with Jones and Williams, But Dillon has won me over, and just think how good he and Jones will be once we im prove our run blocking with Bak and Jenkins and also Myers, even though Patrick was a excellent run blocker, Myers over all is a improvement at C specially with pass pro.

so much of our offense now depends on our ability to run, PA, all the mis direction, and when ya consider the chance for injury we have to carry 4 RB's, I think Lafluer brought a better balance to the offense, and both the run and the passing has benefited off that, we are less predictable, defenses have more adjustments to make from play to play, it's all good. :)

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Would love this if we end up with one of the top available WR FA’s yet.