2022 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I do not have the patience to wait 4 more weeks for the draft. I hate this time of year: Free agency splashes mostly finished. Combine in the books. Pro days about 2/3 done, if not more. And then just... sitting.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
01 Apr 2022 10:53
I do not have the patience to wait 4 more weeks for the draft. I hate this time of year: Free agency splashes mostly finished. Combine in the books. Pro days about 2/3 done, if not more. And then just... sitting.
Sitting… waiting for the next big Aaron Rodgers story to overshadow The Draft.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
01 Apr 2022 10:53
I feel completely the opposite. I know nothing about this draft. I need more time. It is the most uninvolved I've ever been.

I know I won't get that much knowledge this year but I welcome the thoughts and opinions on this board of actual players so I at least feel I have a little background to have fun Thursday - Saturday at the end of this month.

I think a lot of it too is I just have not found any real draft crushes. I almost always have a few but I just have little this year. Well...I did have a draft crush. But there is no way Jerimiah Johnson is lasting to us so that went away. So that makes me less excited.

The only other guy I'm like, "I really want him" is at a position we don't ordinarly spend our top pick on....that is Daxton Hill.

When I watch Daxton Hill, I get really excited. The dude can do so much for us. Be a 3rd safety, be a star, be a replacement of either Savage or Amos (likely Savage). The dude just looks like can do it all. His size bothered me earlier, but when I watch him play he is like Jaire Alexander where he just overcomes his size. And my goodness is a he a fast blitzer. :shock:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:I think a lot of it too is I just have not found any real draft crushes. I almost always have a few but I just have little this year. Well...I did have a draft crush. But there is no way Jerimiah Johnson is lasting to us so that went away. So that makes me less excited.
If I have a crush, it's this guy. His movements and physical traits just remind me so much of one of my all-time favorite Packer players: Jordy

We get him, say, in the 3rd or later and I'll be one happy hombre.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

[mention]APB[/mention]

Yeah I like Pierce a lot too.

There are a lot of players I really like from like Pick 35 to 100.

I want volume of Day 2 picks. There are a lot of them I like.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I really want this guy to be a Packer.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2022/0 ... ce=twitter

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
03 Apr 2022 07:04
I really want this guy to be a Packer.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2022/0 ... ce=twitter
This is maybe the third different place I’ve seen people say he is likely to be a better pro player than he was college because he has all these pass catching tools that went under-utilized.

Seems like a great fit, and more ready to contribute than Jelani Woods would be.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

go pak go wrote:
01 Apr 2022 11:23
The only other guy I'm like, "I really want him" is at a position we don't ordinarly spend our top pick on....that is Daxton Hill.

When I watch Daxton Hill, I get really excited. The dude can do so much for us. Be a 3rd safety, be a star, be a replacement of either Savage or Amos (likely Savage). The dude just looks like can do it all. His size bothered me earlier, but when I watch him play he is like Jaire Alexander where he just overcomes his size. And my goodness is a he a fast blitzer. :shock:
I've been wanting that kind of DB for a while now. I actually wanted Budda Baker more than TJ Watt that year (and we got Kevin King out of it lol). Then I really wanted Minkah Fitzpatrick the year we took Jaire (certainly not complaining though).

This seems like a great draft for that kind of DB, and given how much we used Henry Black last year and do not have a true "Star" position on this team, I feel like there's a pretty good chance we target that player.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
03 Apr 2022 10:50
go pak go wrote:
01 Apr 2022 11:23

I've been wanting that kind of DB for a while now. I actually wanted Budda Baker more than TJ Watt that year (and we got Kevin King out of it lol). Then I really wanted Minkah Fitzpatrick the year we took Jaire (certainly not complaining though).

This seems like a great draft for that kind of DB, and given how much we used Henry Black last year and do not have a true "Star" position on this team, I feel like there's a pretty good chance we target that player.
Yup. He has officially risen to my #1 Draft Crush. He is who I want at selection 22.

I want versality. And this guy screams versality. He can be groomed as a starting safety in a few years but he also has an immediate role available for that part time nickle back, STAR, 3rd safety role. He does it all.

He is a little small, but watching his tape, he doesn't really let size limit his effectiveness.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

the love lost for Savage is so profound we want to take another at about the same slot that we jumped 8 spots to get him, mostly because he was anchored deep center supporting two untested CB's, in a brand new defensive scheme, in 2020 Savage more free to roam showed excellent skills dropping and also playing some star, looking at his draft profile his strong suit is off man coverage, or the slot coverage position, Savage is better then the player we saw last year, he showed that for 2 seasons prior.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
03 Apr 2022 12:06
the love lost for Savage is so profound we want to take another at about the same slot that we jumped 8 spots to get him, mostly because he was anchored deep center supporting two untested CB's, in a brand new defensive scheme, in 2020 Savage more free to roam showed excellent skills dropping and also playing some star, looking at his draft profile his strong suit is off man coverage, or the slot coverage position, Savage is better then the player we saw last year, he showed that for 2 seasons prior.
It's less about replacing Savage and more about the STAR position and "Henry Black"-role which we can use someone to play even if Savage goes all-pro this season and is locked up long-term.

With that said, yes, I am open to replacing Savage because remain skeptical of him at this point, notwithstanding your advocacy for him.

I remain intrigued by what Vernon Scott could bring to the role if he starts the year healthy, but he's a huge wildcard/question-mark.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
My love for Daxton Hill has nothing to do with Savage.

Savage can absolutely be in our long term plans.

The reasons for Hill is many.

1. He is a safety who can also be a slot corner. We don't currently have a slot CB right now other than Jaire. So we will need that spot filled. Hill can hang with RBs, slot WRs, and TE's.
2. Hill is super fast - he is a sub 4.4 guy who is also physical and is a great blitzer. We currently don't have a great DB at blitzing outside of Amos and Jaire.
3. Hill likely could be used on STs. He is an athletic freak. Perfect for STs.
4. We currently don't have a 3rd safety. This is problematic if injury occurs or just in general, we do play a lot of 3rd safeties in our defense.
5. The chances of the Packers bringing back both Amos and Savage long term (the 2023 season and beyond) is slim simply due to affordability. So it is good to have options.

At minimum, I view Hill as playing both the Sullivan and Henry Black role in 2022. It won't be 100% of snaps but it will be at least 60% of snaps. So not only are we developing a potential safety replacement, but we simply need a guy for both the slot and 3rd safety role and Hill is a good enough and versatile enough athlete to fulfill both positions.

And for those hoping on Vernon Scott...I think reality is starting to show it's probably not going to happen with him.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
03 Apr 2022 12:37
Yoop wrote:
My love for Daxton Hill has nothing to do with Savage.

Savage can absolutely be in our long term plans.

The reasons for Hill is many.

1. He is a safety who can also be a slot corner. We don't currently have a slot CB right now other than Jaire. So we will need that spot filled. Hill can hang with RBs, slot WRs, and TE's.
2. Hill is super fast - he is a sub 4.4 guy who is also physical and is a great blitzer. We currently don't have a great DB at blitzing outside of Amos and Jaire.
3. Hill likely could be used on STs. He is an athletic freak. Perfect for STs.
4. We currently don't have a 3rd safety. This is problematic if injury occurs or just in general, we do play a lot of 3rd safeties in our defense.
5. The chances of the Packers bringing back both Amos and Savage long term (the 2023 season and beyond) is slim simply due to affordability. So it is good to have options.

At minimum, I view Hill as playing both the Sullivan and Henry Black role in 2022. It won't be 100% of snaps but it will be at least 60% of snaps. So not only are we developing a potential safety replacement, but we simply need a guy for both the slot and 3rd safety role and Hill is a good enough and versatile enough athlete to fulfill both positions.

And for those hoping on Vernon Scott...I think reality is starting to show it's probably not going to happen with him.
I think Savage is considered small for a safety, but he's also sub 4.4 and gets 60 tackles a season, and if you want a slot corner/ safety, that is one of the positives on his scouting report, in the last 6 or 7 games of 2020 he had 10 PD's, so he certainly does have coverage ability, point is I think Savage already gives us a lot of what you expect from Hill ?

But I know nothing really about Hill, havn't studied all the positions, safety included, had always been a mid to late round consideration.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

So when I say my love of Hill has nothing to do with Savage you retort by talking about Savage? :idn:
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I feel like I've been a lot more laser-focused on my absolute favorites this year at the expense of putting out more names that I like and I just wanted to list a bunch of guys I like, but who for whatever reason (perceived draft stock/value, positional needs, just obsessed with other favorites) I haven't talked as much about.

So I wanted to go position by position, and just make some lists of guys I like (bolded guys being my oft-mentioned favorites)

QB - don't care but Sam Howell and Ritter--not for us.

RB - I really don't want to draft a RB but James Cook can be Aaron Jones-esque

Wide Receiver
Trey Burks
Jameson Williams
Christian Watson
Alec Pierce
David Bell
Romeo Dubbs
George Pickens
Calvin Auston (the only small guy I can make an exception for)
Velus Jones (more of a gadget)
Khalil Shakur
Justyn Ross (if his spine checks out--we have spine history)
Bo Melton
Kyle Phillips (ok, another size exception, but this guy separates)
Danny Gray
Reggie Robeson
Erik Ezukanma
Ty Fryfogle
Isaiah Weston

Tight End
Jelani Woods
Jeremy Ruckert
Cade Otten
Cole Turner
Daniel Bellinger
Armani Rodgers

Offensive Line
Luke Goedecki
Abraham Lucas (OT)
Tyler Smith (OT-but not as high as he's projected)
Cole Strange (OG)
Kellen Diesch (RT/G)
Chris Paul (OG)
Zach Tom
Cade Mays (OG)
Cordell Volson (OT-OG conversion maybe? A little tall for inside)
(Honestly a lot of names on OL I'm completely unfamiliar with and I should spend more time on these positions)

Interior Defensive Line
Jordan Davis
Travis Jones
Devante Wyatt
Phidarian Mathis
John Ridgeway
Thomas Booker
Eyioma Uwazurike
(I definitely need to find more interior rush sleeper types)

Edge Defender
David Ojabo
Boye Mafe
Nic Bonito
DeAngelo Malone
Josh Paschal
Alex Wright (UAB-monster frame)
Kingsley Enagbare
Sam Williams (pass rush only)
Amare Barno (pass rush only)
Dominique Robinson
Jeffry Gunter

Off-Ball Linebacker
Nakobe Dean
Devin Lloyd
Quay Walker
Leo Chenal
Chad Muma
Christian Harris
Troy Anderson
Darrian Beavers
D'Marco Jackson
Jeremiah Gremmel
Terrell Bernard

Secondary
(I'm grouping secondary together because I'm primarily looking for slot defenders, some may be CB/nickel, some may be safety/nickel, and I'll throw in a guy or two who doesn't fit that mold, but they all sorta blend together for me this year)
Jalen Pitre
Dax Hill
Verone McKinley III
Marcus Jones
Cam Taylor-Britt
Damarri Mathis
Lewis Cine
Nick Cross
Coby Bryant
Zyon McCollum (more pure CB)
Alonte Taylor
Christian Benford (Villanova)
Bryce Watts (UMass)

I probably forgot several people. But I did just want to expand my list of names I highlight

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
03 Apr 2022 14:38
So when I say my love of Hill has nothing to do with Savage you retort by talking about Savage? :idn:
you dumped on Savage all last season, and never once took into consideration why he stayed deep more then other seasons, I simply pointed out that previously under Pettine he did basically everything you want to draft Hill for.

and if this has nothing to do with Savage why do you want to spend slot #22 on a player at a position where we already have two solid starters and 3 years ago moved up 8 or 9 slots to get Savage, no way Gute is spending slot #22 on Hill. BPA or not, BPA is so cliche, unless a GM fills needy positions pre draft with UFA then he can not entertain BPA drafting till later rounds.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

[mention]YoHoChecko[/mention] , we have a very similar list.

Except I don't look at Olinemen because I suck at it. I don't know what your bolded means.

I think our difference primarily lies with you don't seem to like the Penn State defensive boys whereas I really do. I would put their safety, ILB and Edge on there.
Yoop wrote:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
04 Apr 2022 08:00
@YoHoChecko , we have a very similar list.

Except I don't look at Olinemen because I suck at it. I don't know what your bolded means.

I think our difference primarily lies with you don't seem to like the Penn State defensive boys whereas I really do. I would put their safety, ILB and Edge on there.
From his post:
YohoChecko wrote:(bolded guys being my oft-mentioned favorites)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
04 Apr 2022 07:59
go pak go wrote:
03 Apr 2022 14:38
you dumped on Savage all last season, and never once took into consideration why he stayed deep more then other seasons, I simply pointed out that previously under Pettine he did basically everything you want to draft Hill for.

and if this has nothing to do with Savage why do you want to spend slot #22 on a player at a position where we already have two solid starters and 3 years ago moved up 8 or 9 slots to get Savage, no way Gute is spending slot #22 on Hill. BPA or not, BPA is so cliche, unless a GM fills needy positions pre draft with UFA then he can not entertain BPA drafting till later rounds.
1. You have me mistaken. I was a huge Savage fan pre-draft. I loved him when we drafted him. And I have been an ardent Savage supporter in his time in GB. However, I also didn't get too low on him his rookie season like many did, didn't get too high on him his sophomore year like many did, and again didn't get too low on him his 3rd year like many did. I was also one who said I would absolutely extend him the 5th year option when many others didn't.

2. If you aren't going to give me the respect by reading my posts, then why would I respond to your question about using slot #22 on Hill?
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
04 Apr 2022 08:04
go pak go wrote:
04 Apr 2022 08:00
@YoHoChecko , we have a very similar list.

From his post:
YohoChecko wrote:(bolded guys being my oft-mentioned favorites)
Look at me pulling a yoop after just yelling at yoop for not reading posts. :oops:

Thanks! :aok:
Yoop wrote: