2022 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I kind of wouldn't be surprised if we see a corresponding Saints move up in the draft, maybe like pick 5, one ahead of Carolina.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
04 Apr 2022 16:01
I kind of wouldn't be surprised if we see a corresponding Saints move up in the draft, maybe like pick 5, one ahead of Carolina.
This is no doubt to grab a QB. We'll probably see the other end of this draft night. Still don't think it's a good move. They better be smart and let the kid sit for a year or 2 behind Jameis.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
Ohhh good call. It makes sense to do a move like this if the point is the draft ammo, not the draft board. They could get all the way up to 4, according to the draft chart, with just the two firsts. Huh.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
04 Apr 2022 16:12
BF004 wrote:
Ohhh good call. It makes sense to do a move like this if the point is the draft ammo, not the draft board. They could get all the way up to 4, according to the draft chart, with just the two firsts. Huh.
Be funny if Malik is taken at 2. Have to think he's their #1.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
04 Apr 2022 16:12
BF004 wrote:
This should about do it. I actually like this move back for the Giants. They can still get an elite tackle at 7, especially if you are looking closer at maybe 2 top 6 QB's now.
image.png
image.png (39.22 KiB) Viewed 411 times

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yeah, and the Giants are allegedly looking to trade back, also, now that Gettleman is out of town.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

YoHoChecko wrote:
04 Apr 2022 07:43
Offensive Line
Luke Goedecki
Abraham Lucas (OT)
Tyler Smith (OT-but not as high as he's projected)
Cole Strange (OG)
Kellen Diesch (RT/G)
Chris Paul (OG)
Zach Tom
Cade Mays (OG)
Cordell Volson (OT-OG conversion maybe? A little tall for inside)
(Honestly a lot of names on OL I'm completely unfamiliar with and I should spend more time on these positions)
Doing some work on this now.

Braxton Jones as a 5th round developmental swing tackle has a lot of appeal.

Dylan Parham, a likely 2nd rounder, maybe 3rd, fits us to a tee, though a little short.

Zachary Thomas (not to be confused with Zach Tom) needs to gain a little strength in both his upper and lower body, but has the size, tools, and athleticism to stick around--probably in our 7th round range

Logan Bruss from Wisconsin has measurables and is local; interested to know more about his game.

Chris Paul, Spencer Burford, and Ed Ingram are all close to range that we look at but don't really stand out to me. Burford (UTSA) would be later rounds. Paul (Tulsa) Mid rounds. Not sure about Ingram (LSU).

Absolutely loving Tyler Smith if he's around for a late second (doubtful). Cole Strange inside in round 3 or 4 and Braxton Jones late to develop appeals to me. Lots of balls of clay to put our coach to work with.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

According to multiple reports, USC’s Pro Day has been moved from Tuesday until April 15. Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the move was made at the request of London after he suffered a mild hamstring strain while working out over the weekend.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

How weird does it looking having the Bengals and Lions picking 31 and 32?

Can't get used to seeing that.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
05 Apr 2022 12:32

I just harken back to the days when there were only 30 teams and I feel much better about it.

Read More. Post Less.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Finally started watching some WR film.

Olave looks... OK? Well-rounded game, but didn't pop off the screen with anything, except sure hands. I wonder how much he benefited from attention given to the other targets... Zero double coverage, probably often vs CB2 or CB3. But I could see him becoming good if he remains a student of the game and takes another step in already versatile route-running. Needs to work on disguising his intentions. Dude needs to watch Davante Adams' tape. I feel like we've had success with guys like him - good route runners but not freak athletes - in 2nd round in the past... I don't think he's as ready-to-play as pundits tout, but long term could work himself into the next Davante/Jennings. Very low chance of WR1 year one...

Drake London: Much more exciting, mainly for being real good on doing the 10-20 yard ins, outs, curls and backshoulders for a guy his size. And has the long speed to threaten with it. That spells instant production with AR if they get the timings right. Not a gazelle like Stokes, but quick feet and fluid hips for a tall guy. Nice little "legal" pushoffs. Needs to hit the weight room and max his body, but the fact he has thrived as no 1 without it leaves room for higher ceiling. Had success even when being focus of the D. He's got a WR1 vibe. 1st round for sure.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
05 Apr 2022 12:33
BF004 wrote:

I just harken back to the days when there were only 30 teams and I feel much better about it.
:rotf: you are of course aware that the bungles and Kitty's where around back then too :lol:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
06 Apr 2022 12:51
NCF wrote:
05 Apr 2022 12:33
BF004 wrote:

:rotf: you are of course aware that the bungles and Kitty's where around back then too :lol:
Yes, but it would make more sense for them be picking 1 and 2 and 31 and 32. Which feels right.

Now in the Lions case, yeah, 2 and 32, lol.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

salmar80 wrote:
06 Apr 2022 12:27
Olave looks... OK? Well-rounded game, but didn't pop off the screen with anything, except sure hands. I wonder how much he benefited from attention given to the other targets... Zero double coverage, probably often vs CB2 or CB3. But I could see him becoming good if he remains a student of the game and takes another step in already versatile route-running. Needs to work on disguising his intentions. Dude needs to watch Davante Adams' tape. I feel like we've had success with guys like him - good route runners but not freak athletes - in 2nd round in the past... I don't think he's as ready-to-play as pundits tout, but long term could work himself into the next Davante/Jennings. Very low chance of WR1 year one...
This is how I feel.

I also don't see him gain separation early in the routes. His separation skills happen in the route tree and with clean breaks and all, but he doesn't beat guys on release, and like you said, he's not beating the opposition's best very often. He seems overwhelmingly just a guy who runs in a scheme to me.

I've never watched Olave tape and said "ah, this is the guy." He doesn't stand out at all

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I believe I'm also to the point where I would simply be downright happy with George Pickens at 22.

I think we could get him later, but if the Packers think that highly of him, then I love it.

But that whole we could have got him later thing is always a fools argument.

I feel like almost all his knocks are that he is thin and wiry. But almost all game film from his is from '19 and '20 when he was 18 and 19 years old, and even then he was the best athlete on the field in the SEC.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
06 Apr 2022 16:47
I feel like almost all his knocks are that he is thin and wiry.
And has squirt bottle control issues.

Read More. Post Less.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

NCF wrote:
06 Apr 2022 16:53
BF004 wrote:
We all do. Just put one in your hand and see what happens.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
I believe I'm also to the point where I would simply be downright happy with George Pickens at 22.

I think we could get him later, but if the Packers think that highly of him, then I love it.

But that whole we could have got him later thing is always a fools argument.

I feel like almost all his knocks are that he is thin and wiry. But almost all game film from his is from '19 and '20 when he was 18 and 19 years old, and even then he was the best athlete on the field in the SEC.
I’m with ya.

I see a lot of AJ Green in his game. That’s a good thing.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Haven't watched this all yet, but looks to be a nice breakdown of the middle-of-the-pack WR prospects.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

APB wrote:
06 Apr 2022 18:08
NCF wrote:
06 Apr 2022 16:53
BF004 wrote:
We all do. Just put one in your hand and see what happens.
Just seems to be a little too much thug there for my taste. I'm sure the Packers have done their homework. If they sign off then I am fine, but wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't pass the test for the Packers brass, even in WR desperation.

Read More. Post Less.