All-Time Packers

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

flapackfan wrote:
06 Apr 2022 20:32
I think Mark Tauscher should be considered a very good player in the history of the Packers. Played a long time at a high level for his era, and has the Wisconsin tradition.
Chad Clifton as well. #76 played 12 years.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Is Woodson in this list? Nick Collins?

I think the list is too long:

Best QB: Bart Starr
Best RB: Jim Taylor
Best Olineman: Forrest Gregg, Gale Gillingham
Best WR: Don Hudson, James Lofton
Best TE: Ron Kramer
Best Dlineman: Reggie White, Willie Davis
Best LB: Ray Nitschke, Ted Hendricks
Best CB: Herb Adderley, Jaire Alexander
Best Safety: Nick Collins, Charles Woodson

I doubled up on positions where there are normally 2 or more starters in today's football. No special teams players except Woodson.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

TheSkeptic wrote:
07 Apr 2022 04:05

I doubled up on positions where there are normally 2 or more starters in today's football. No special teams players except Woodson.
Willie Wood was a far better safety than either Collins or Woodson. Willie Buchanon was on a hall of fame career path until injury changed that. Dave Robinson was a great outside LB. Henry Jordan was an incredible DL. There are a lot of great players to choose from.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

TheSkeptic wrote:

This is why in the first post in this thread I tried to differentiate "All-Time Packers Team" from "All-Time Packers". Never intended to talk about "Best"......that should be a separate thread in my humble opinion.

I included Charles Woodson in my original list of All-Time Packers. Then realized later that I erroneously left out John Brockington, John Anderson and Bobby Dillon. Then Chad Clifton (160 games). I suppose Davante Adams should now be considered as an All-Time Packer as well. Also realized that I erroneously left Jim Ringo off of my list. :swear:

Look at this list of All-Time Packers receivers: Hutson, Lofton, Sharpe, Nelson, Adams, Dowler, McGee, Driver. I'm still wondering if Billy Howton belongs here as well (he made All-Pro twice as a Packer, still holds the Packers single-game receiving yardage record, and retired as the the All-Time NFL leader in receptions). YES, Billy Howton belongs here as well. Billy Howton is an All-Time Packer on my list now along with Davante Adams, Chad Clifton, John Brockington, John Anderson, Bobby Dillon, Jim Ringo and the other players that I previously listed (see first post in this thread) :clap:

Still on the fence regarding Willie Buchanon (7 seasons as a Packer) and Ken Reuttgers (156 games). I need some help here please.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

[mention]RingoCStarrQB[/mention] - you're on the fence about Willie Buchanon but have listed John Anderson in multiple posts?

John Anderson??

He was a decent player - albeit more quantity over quality - but he has no business even sniffing a thread related to all-time greatest Packers. He wasn't even the best linebacker on his own team for several years.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Paul Ott Carruth is missing from this list.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

williewasgreat wrote:
07 Apr 2022 04:50
TheSkeptic wrote:

Willie Wood was a far better safety than either Collins or Woodson. Willie Buchanon was on a hall of fame career path until injury changed that. Dave Robinson was a great outside LB. Henry Jordan was an incredible DL. There are a lot of great players to choose from.
Lombardi was quoted as saying that, of all the 60s Packer squads, that Robinson was the best athlete of them all.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I think if you want Brockington on the list, then you need to add Ahmad Green. His career in GB wasn’t long enough. But he did everything you could ask of a RB with a rare combination of speed and power. If he had been in GB his first couple of years, I think people would be comparing him with Taylor.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
07 Apr 2022 06:05
Still on the fence regarding Willie Buchanon (7 seasons as a Packer) and Ken Reuttgers (156 games). I need some help here please.
Since [mention]APB[/mention] already called you out on Buchanon, I have to take you to task for Kenny Ruettgers. Not sure what kind of help you need, but the guy was an absolute rock at LT for a decade. He just happened to play on bad Packers teams. He was Clifton and Bak before they were a thing.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

williewasgreat wrote:
07 Apr 2022 04:50
TheSkeptic wrote:

I think it's old timer loyalty to say that Jimmy rat killer Taylor was a better RB then Ahman Green, Ahman had more yrds in less time then Taylor, and twice as many receiving yrds, no one here Loves Taylor more then me, I watched and adored the guy.

thing is Jim was a pounding and bruiser style back, Green more of a slasher, Jim actually looked for defenders to run over, Ahman used agility to avoid them, don't get me wrong I liked em both alot, but I lean to Ahman as our best ever, ran 4.4 to Jimmys 4.55 and thats probably generous, Jims game was power,not speed.

as with Taylor and Green, Willie Wood and Collins is also a very close call for me, and Woodson to me even though not really a safety was a better DB then both, but as a CB with intangibles :lol:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Johnny Blood
Arnie Herber
Charlie Brock
Mike Michalske
Clark Hinkle
Curly Lambeau
Tony Canadeo

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

APB wrote:
07 Apr 2022 06:51
@RingoCStarrQB - you're on the fence about Willie Buchanon but have listed John Anderson in multiple posts?

John Anderson??

He was a decent player - albeit more quantity over quality - but he has no business even sniffing a thread related to all-time greatest Packers. He wasn't even the best linebacker on his own team for several years.
John Anderson was on the NFL All-Decade Team for Outside Linebackers from the 1980s. Right in there with LT, Tippett, Banks and Hendricks. Should be good enough......shouldn't be a head scratcher.

"All-Time Packers" does not equal "All-Time Greatest Packers".
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 07 Apr 2022 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pugger wrote:
07 Apr 2022 14:29
Johnny Blood
Arnie Herber
Charlie Brock
Mike Michalske
Clark Hinkle
Curly Lambeau
Tony Canadeo
And Lavvie Dilweg and Verne Lewellyn :)

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

NCF wrote:
07 Apr 2022 12:57
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Since @APB already called you out on Buchanon, I have to take you to task for Kenny Ruettgers. Not sure what kind of help you need, but the guy was an absolute rock at LT for a decade. He just happened to play on bad Packers teams. He was Clifton and Bak before they were a thing.
Fully concur putting Ken Ruettgers on the list if people say so. Still on the fence regarding Willie Buchanon ........ don't recall anybody making a valid case against putting Willie Buchanon on the All-Time Packer list. Not the "greatest", or "best" or "team" list ............ just the All-Time Packers list.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
07 Apr 2022 19:24
NCF wrote:
07 Apr 2022 12:57
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Since @APB already called you out on Buchanon, I have to take you to task for Kenny Ruettgers. Not sure what kind of help you need, but the guy was an absolute rock at LT for a decade. He just happened to play on bad Packers teams. He was Clifton and Bak before they were a thing.
Fully concur putting Ken Ruettgers on the list if people say so. Still on the fence regarding Willie Buchanon ........ don't recall anybody making a valid case against putting Willie Buchanon on the All-Time Packer list. Not the "greatest", or "best" or "team" list ............ just the All-Time Packers list.
Maybe my list is just a little longer than yours.

Read More. Post Less.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I can't comment on the older players, but watching almost the entire Favre era, and the entire Rodgers era, I can say that Mason Crosby is better than Longwell at the very least. Also I am surprised that Ahman Green is apparently in the conversation- have our RBs been that bad? Don't get me wrong, Green was solid and sometimes a top 5 RB, but he was just that- solid. Would rather have Aaron Jones.

CM3 during his heyday was a legend, but his heyday only lasted a couple of years. I agree with Woodson. Nick Collins obviously could have been even better than Leroy if not for his injury. Reggie White is a no-brainer. And tbh I think Davante might merit a spot if we are talking about best players at that given position. Obviously he isn't above Hutson, but at the WR2 position? I think he has a good case. I mean how often have we had a WR who has been the best WR in the whole league for multiple seasons... That's pretty rare for any WR, let alone Packers WRs.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
07 Apr 2022 19:11
APB wrote:
07 Apr 2022 06:51
@RingoCStarrQB - you're on the fence about Willie Buchanon but have listed John Anderson in multiple posts?

John Anderson??

John Anderson was on the NFL All-Decade Team for Outside Linebackers from the 1980s. Right in there with LT, Tippett, Banks and Hendricks. Should be good enough......shouldn't be a head scratcher.

"All-Time Packers" does not equal "All-Time Greatest Packers".
Anderson made the 80s all-decade team because he was a good player - not great - who timed his career perfectly in spanning the entire decade. Wasn't named to a single Pro-Bowl or All-Pro team unlike his Mad Dog teammate.

Turk's B.B.C.
Reactions:

Post by Turk's B.B.C. »

Ken Bowman and The Rock.
Jacke and Cros
Freddy Carr
Johnny Gray
Ahman Green had the prettiest runs, for wont of a better term, than any other Packer RB l have witnessed. He could stop on a dime and cut through a hole, just make your jaw drop sometimes .

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Turk's B.B.C. wrote:
07 Apr 2022 23:23
Ahman Green had the prettiest runs, for wont of a better term, than any other Packer RB l have witnessed. He could stop on a dime and cut through a hole, just make your jaw drop sometimes .
I remember seeing some John Brockington runs in my youth that were also jaw-dropping...like literally, on the defenders trying to tackle him. ;)

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
07 Apr 2022 19:19
Pugger wrote:
07 Apr 2022 14:29
Johnny Blood
Arnie Herber
Charlie Brock
Mike Michalske
Clark Hinkle
Curly Lambeau
Tony Canadeo
And Lavvie Dilweg and Verne Lewellyn :)
Oh yes, I should have mentioned them. I listed these gentlemen because we shouldn't forget the trailblazers in this franchise. :packers:

When I lived on Quincy Street in GB while in high school we lived across the street from Boob Darling's widow Babe. She had a lot of fun stories to tell of those early days.