2022 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Labrev wrote:
08 Apr 2022 10:16
I like Pickens's athletic talent but also agree with NCF, definitely get worried with guys who get complacent.

I don't know enough to judge and if our brass is not worried about it, I won't either, but for the moment I am just kind of lukewarm on him.
im honestly not sure if complacent is fair for Pickens. Immature? Probably fair. But he could have easily sat out the national championship game and just gotten ready for the NFL. He came back early because he worked hard to be able to come back and he wanted to contribute in that game. And he did contribute.

Just not sure "Lazy" or "complacent" describes him accurately. Team cancer, demanding the ball, immature....those things i cant dispute or confirm either way
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
08 Apr 2022 10:08
I feel like I organically brought up Pickens a few days ago on my own, now I'm mad he is getting like universal hype, makes me seem like a bandwagon jumper onner, :lol:
well around this forum, you are the bandwagon driver :lol:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

As for Olave not really jumping off the screen, I'll take your word for it; I don't bother with TAEP because the scouts who write up the reports know how and what to look for better than I do (and I'm not interested enough to do it as a hobby). I try to just get a basic idea of the player's strengths and weaknesses and then look at the athletic test scores and see what those reveal or confirm.

I'm not really bothered by that at all, though, because to me, the better question to ask is not if he pops off the screen when watching, but if the skills and abilities that he displays will pop if placed in our offense.

I'm not like smitten with Olave or anything, just seems like an ideal fit for us in a way I don't see with any other player. Him and the Cincy WR, Pierce.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
08 Apr 2022 10:25
paco wrote:
08 Apr 2022 10:00
Yoop wrote:
08 Apr 2022 09:16

who? it would have to be a edge rusher because there are big boards that don't have a first round grade on any DT, and there are very good edge rushers scattered throughout the first round, we can't afford to trade up for the best because they will go top 12 or so, and the rest that are still very good will be available for us at either of our first round slots, or did you have a safety or CB in mind?

Yoho: your relentless disproval of Olave is well noted, but he is probably one of the best separaters in this class, runs excellent routes, catches anything thrown to him, and has deep speed, thats why he is rated top twenty he has 3 seasons of proven success.

I like Pickens to, I think he favored his knee last year, but has he ever played a full season of college ball ( I didn't look, guilty as charged :lol: ) so that might be the biggest reason I havn't seen top 30 grades, people worry about his durability, I'd like him or Watkins with one of our second round picks
I'm not worried about other people's big boards. Who knows who is on the Packers. We certainly can get into the top 12 if we want to. 22 and 53 along could possibly get us to 11. Add in some other picks and we can go as high as we want.

A few names that come to mind as possible trade up targets. Thibodeaux (if he falls like some think), Walker (if his top 3 draft hype is just hype), Stingley/Hamilton/Gardner/Booth (if we are enamored with a top DB). I think Jordan Davis will go higher than most think and could be a target.
Thibo isn't going to drop, that to me is what always happens to some top recruit every year, obviously sometimes it's legit, imo though most times there rumors that lack any foundation, and always there are guys with far more question marks then answers that jump up such as Walker, and it's mostly a result of Combine workouts, seriously, if people would pay more attention to pre combine grades based on last seasons college evals there mocks would more closely resemble draft day results, sure a great combine will expose a players athletic ability, but that doesn't always transpire to how well the player will do in the nfl.

again, why would we give up such valuable picks to trade up for a CB, when we already have 3 very good ones, same at safety, ILB, maybe, but we already have two good starters, I'd move up for a dire need like WR, maybe even DT, but for what we want from a DT the cupboard is bare, Davis according to some has a lot to learn about leverage, and he has zero pass rush technical ability, yes he is very athletic, but so have been so many that failed, people reach every year for DT's and most bust, they dominate weaker college OL, get to the pros and struggle, NFL OL are so much better then college olines, I'd rather wait for one with this class.
Because Stokes is the only one guaranteed on the team after this year. Rasul didn't sign a deal that is guaranteed to be longer than 1 year. Jaire is not guaranteed to be re-signed based on the money that's getting tossed around (though I think he will still). Amos and Savage are unknowns after 2022 as well. You have to look past this season.

Again, I'm not saying we should move up for anyone specific. I don't know the class that well. But the Packers I'm sure have their targets of people they would be willing to go up for. And moving into the top 12 or 10 would not be that hard. They've never had this kind of ammo to work with.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
04 Apr 2022 09:06
Any have a good source of pro day numbers?
This has the best everything that I have seen. Super impressed. Rankings go deep. Profiles have stats, combine, and pro day numbers including age and physical measurements. Just the best product I have seen. Get it for $1 with an Athletic subscription (sign-up for $1, cancel any time).

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
08 Apr 2022 16:05
BF004 wrote:
This has the best everything that I have seen. Super impressed. Rankings go deep. Profiles have stats, combine, and pro day numbers including age and physical measurements. Just the best product I have seen. Get it for $1 with an Athletic subscription (sign-up for $1, cancel any time).

Yeah I spent half my day pouring through it. I’m an Athletic subscriber, but if anyone wants screenshots of evals of specific players without going through the cheap trial price of it all, let me know and tag me in the request. I just quit my job and its draft month so I got nothing but time

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
08 Apr 2022 18:28
NCF wrote:
08 Apr 2022 16:05
BF004 wrote:

Yeah I spent half my day pouring through it. I’m an Athletic subscriber, but if anyone wants screenshots of evals of specific players without going through the cheap trial price of it all, let me know and tag me in the request. I just quit my job and its draft month so I got nothing but time
Had no idea I got it for free as a subscriber! Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow. Hell, I may even print it off! Will also gladly provide info.

Monday this one is released, I ordered a copy.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Yoop wrote:
08 Apr 2022 10:28
BF004 wrote:
08 Apr 2022 10:08
I feel like I organically brought up Pickens a few days ago on my own, now I'm mad he is getting like universal hype, makes me seem like a bandwagon jumper onner, :lol:
well around this forum, you are the bandwagon driver :lol:
wow, your going to have to get a fleet of band wagons, hire more drivers, Pickens stock is shooting through the roof :rotf:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

For any that may be unaware, Andy Herman has spent entire episodes on certain prospects (or pairs of prospects), focusing on WR, DL, and EDGE and they have all been really worthwhile. If anything, at this time of year after we have picked all the meat off the bone, it helped serve as a reminder that these guys are all still really good. All have strengths and all have weaknesses, but whether at 22 or 28 or Round 2, etc., we will have the opportunity to draft a really, really talented football player. Just have to make the picks count.

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Okay, sold on Drake London (probably won't be there, but who knows). 'Got some real younger-years Davante Adams vibes from that video.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
09 Apr 2022 10:37
Okay, sold on Drake London (probably won't be there, but who knows). 'Got some real younger-years Davante Adams vibes from that video.
easy to fall for that big boy, does Calvin Johnson ring a bell, obviously he does need some coaching up on the tech stuff, but he's a guy that can walk on and play, most reports end with very high ceiling, I expect him to go top 15, I pretty much have written off Wilson, Williams and London because we'd have to trade up to get either, if London dropped to 18 I'd hope we went up after him.

Thanks NCF for bringing all the links :aok:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
09 Apr 2022 11:18
easy to fall for that big boy, does Calvin Johnson ring a bell,
Big WRs actually scare me, I am way more into Olave or Pickens types at the position.

But that video sets me at ease. 'Sounds like what he may lack in pure speed or quickness (but has enough of both), is more than made up for with great size and body control. Adams similarly was very much a basketball athlete coming out of college, not overly fast or an elite separator back then, and... look at him now.

And hearing that he was a team leader, I have faith that he will put in the work to reach his ceiling. I am similarly not as enamored with Pickens as I should be because what I've heard leads me to wonder if he will put in the work, or if he's one of those guys who is content to just make it to the NFL. That can be the difference between being Davante Adams or being Sammy Watkins.
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Labrev wrote:
09 Apr 2022 11:49
Yoop wrote:
09 Apr 2022 11:18
easy to fall for that big boy, does Calvin Johnson ring a bell,
Big WRs actually scare me, I am way more into Olave or Pickens types at the position.

But that video sets me at ease. 'Sounds like what he may lack in pure speed or quickness (but has enough of both), is more than made up for with great size and body control. Adams similarly was very much a basketball athlete coming out of college, not overly fast or an elite separator back then, and... look at him now.

And hearing that he was a team leader, I have faith that he will put in the work to reach his ceiling. I am similarly not as enamored with Pickens as I should be because what I've heard leads me to wonder if he will put in the work, or if he's one of those guys who is content to just make it to the NFL. That can be the difference between being Davante Adams or being Sammy Watkins.
And yet to turn 21. Still time to further develop more elite physical traits.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I HATE being that guy, but I can’t help but reserve some judgment on London till I see that proday.

More than wanting to see a 42” vertical, I just don’t want to see 31”, and I’ll be pretty sold.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
09 Apr 2022 12:09
I HATE being that guy, but I can’t help but reserve some judgment on London till I see that proday.

More than wanting to see a 42” vertical, I just don’t want to see 31”, and I’ll be pretty sold.
I really want to see that as well. Sucks it isn't until the 15th.

I'm trying to dig into the WRs today. Really hard to find 1 guy to stand out from the rest. All have something you want. But they also all have something you don't. You really want to Frankenstein a few of these guys.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco wrote:
09 Apr 2022 15:04
BF004 wrote:

I'm trying to dig into the WRs today. Really hard to find 1 guy to stand out from the rest. All have something you want. But they also all have something you don't. You really want to Frankenstein a few of these guys.
Only thing is when you find that guy. He’s going top 10 if not 5.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
09 Apr 2022 15:55
paco wrote:
09 Apr 2022 15:04
BF004 wrote:

Only thing is when you find that guy. He’s going top 10 if not 5.
True, though we've got the ammo to get there this year. But that player doesn't exist so it doesn't matter.

Just spent 2 hours going through Brugler's guide on WRs and other notes. Still at the point where I'd be happy with either of the 6 top WRs. But I think the 2 I'd rather have, have the most potential red flags. But if we want a true day 1 impact starting WR, it needs to be one of those 6. Everyone else is going to need more time. But still more work to do.

Time for a break and then I'll hopefully dig into TE's and OL tonight.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Has anyone heard what Kevin Austin Jr’s rule violations were that got him suspended for a full season by the team? NFL teams will for sure know that, but I’m surprised no reporters have broken it yet.

He’s a guy if you’re willing to take a risk on a person could provide great value on Day 3. I was hoping Brugler would have more details in The Beast, but nope.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lots of polish with Dotson, does a lot of stuff well, but again a little small for what we normally want with a WR.

Wyatt just keeps impressing me with every write up I read, I hate drafting DT's, so many are over drafted and never duplicate college ability, but Wyatt sounds like exactly the type DT we need, Guty might have a tough choice to make if he drops to us.