The Packers Defense is Awesome...Except

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
10 Jun 2020 21:35
I mean if the coaches couldn't work Hayward's personality but the Chargers could one year later....I call that a coaching problem.

Just like I call it a coaching problem from Washington and Baltimore that they had a serious disconnect on P and Z Smith. We benefited. But when a player leaves and the first year being out of town they turn to near all pro level, I would call that a coaching failure.

I will not blame any coach for Hyde. That was all TT. Hyde produced in GB. Hyde got better each year in GB and Hyde had a great personality and team leader while in GB. Hyde was really the only bright spot on that defense toward the end of the year in 2016. That one still blows my mind why we let hi go.

But alas, Raven Greene will be better for us now anyways.
lis Hyde was never as good as Dix or Burnett, ya right, every year players leave teams and do better elsewhere because of a coaching disconnect, please help me remove this brick wall from my forehead, my god that has to be about as boneheaded a comment I've heard in ages, seriously GPG go reread some of the stuff Woodson said about his fails in Oakland and his renewed dedication when he came here, players naturally attempt to do better for there new team, any player that isn't prepared to do that isn't worth signing, and that is exactly why Z and P Smith did better, just as it was with Hayward, as it also was with Reggie White, and Hyde never had the tackle totals Dix had for us, your just making stuff up as you go now, and if Raven Green is half the hybrid lber Burnett was we'll be improved over last season, I have my doubts though cause Burny was really good there, and if Capers had the input people think he surely would have tried to get Ted to poney the money up to keep him, yet that didn't happen, and Hyde never filled his shoes and was let go as a result, thats it, I know reality can be such a pain in the ass, but we have to except it, otherwise we'll be residing in some fantasy make believe land where your at :grin: :chuckle:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

So basically everyone else blames either Capers or TT or MM or some combo of them for team failures, and Yoop thinks no one is to blame - things just happened, everyone was great, it was all just circumstances. How this thinking applies to everything TT and Capers did, but not to current WR situation, I don't know. :dunno:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
11 Jun 2020 00:00
So basically everyone else blames either Capers or TT or MM or some combo of them for team failures, and Yoop thinks no one is to blame - things just happened, everyone was great, it was all just circumstances. How this thinking applies to everything TT and Capers did, but not to current WR situation, I don't know. :dunno:
obviously you missed when I said this Sal.

you people blew all of this out of proportion simply because it gave you ammo to hate on a cord you'd been hating on for years, versus holding Ted accountable for not getting him the talent, Guty just provided Pettine, it was always a lack of talent available issue.

and it was the same with the WR position, Ted should have brought in a FA WR with proven ability if he was unable to draft one, I said it back then just as I have for about 4 seasons now.

someone, I think Skeptic echoed my thoughts that often your best defense is actually your offense, either to stay on the field and win TOP, or simply to score a lot of points and force the opposing offense to play catch up, now obviously we've struggled with that against quality defenses that we've faced, why? well sure we can blame Rodgers some, but he isn't the root of the problem, the lack of impact players has been, and that is a GM problem.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
10 Jun 2020 14:02
YoHoChecko wrote:
10 Jun 2020 13:52
The Packers defense is AWESOME except for a game-changing ILB and a reliable 2-way DL2 next to Kenny.
Yeah I really hope Kirksey works out for us and we can seriously look at using a #1 or #2 pick on a Dlineman next year.

Though I have heard from Nagler that Treyvon Hester will be an upgrade over Lancaster. This defense would be awesome if he can be our 2014 Letroy Guoin.
I mean sure, but I'd feel better with, say, Dareus instead of Hester, ya know?

I know Dareus' best days are behind him, but what that means is that his pass rush has slipped away leaving primarily a run-defender. I can live with that.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
11 Jun 2020 08:56
go pak go wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
The Packers defense is AWESOME except for a game-changing ILB and a reliable 2-way DL2 next to Kenny.
Yeah I really hope Kirksey works out for us and we can seriously look at using a #1 or #2 pick on a Dlineman next year.

Though I have heard from Nagler that Treyvon Hester will be an upgrade over Lancaster. This defense would be awesome if he can be our 2014 Letroy Guoin.

I know Dareus' best days are behind him, but what that means is that his pass rush has slipped away leaving primarily a run-defender. I can live with that.
An elite run defender, at that.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Packers have about 13 million in cap space. It would be malpractice to not add some beef to the DL before the season starts with that money.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
11 Jun 2020 09:19
YoHoChecko wrote:
go pak go wrote:

An elite run defender, at that.
Dareus WHO ? Brown, please correct me if I'am wrong but isn't he at the point now where he'd be best used as a 2 gaper? my point is according to Pettine he isn't looking for that type of DL, in fact he made a point about that concerning our ability to stop SF where he said he's not interested in lateral DL play (2 gap) instead he wants to penetrate hoping his DL get the gaps right and the lbers and safety's fill the others, if there is any one thing I disagree with Pettine about it's this.

mostly because it ends up being a guessing game, and to often (depending on talent) the odds are against ya, for instance if you only have 1 decent ILB you have to rely on under sized DB hybrids, and a it ends up looking like jekyl and Hyde in that movie extraordinary Gentleman when Jekyl is backhanding men out of his way, I think that closely resembles what SF oline was doing to our defenders last year, this is another instance where if you have the talent, then the single gap system is best, if you don't it's atrocious as we saw at least 3 times last year.

thing is now we are back to Cords or coaches adjusting schemes to talent as we complained about with Capers, so I don't expect to see any changes, cause coaches rarely switch out of stuff they have had prior success with, surely we all know that by now, right?

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Drj820 wrote:
11 Jun 2020 09:32
Packers have about 13 million in cap space. It would be malpractice to not add some beef to the DL before the season starts with that money.
I don't know about that, we have some HUGE contracts coming up that I am pretty sure that money is going to be used for.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Packfntk wrote:
11 Jun 2020 10:35
Drj820 wrote:
I don't know about that, we have some HUGE contracts coming up that I am pretty sure that money is going to be used for.
yep, plus over 5 has to be used on the rookies I believe, and we have to have a emergency amount of cash, usually about 5 mil.
we are cash strapped right now, however I think we might be able to make a player trade or two for a player once we get into the PS games and teams lose players to injury.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
11 Jun 2020 10:43
Packfntk wrote:
11 Jun 2020 10:35
Drj820 wrote:
yep, plus over 5 has to be used on the rookies I believe, and we have to have a emergency amount of cash, usually about 5 mil.
we are cash strapped right now, however I think we might be able to make a player trade or two for a player once we get into the PS games and teams lose players to injury.
well, we have been hearing about the omnimous kenny clark deal for a year now. i wasnt talking about using the money to sign someone to a multi year deal. I was just talking about one or two vets on a one year deal that could help this season. Guys who cants pass rush, but have the bodies to clog a hole are still out there. I would like to go into the season with one or two of them.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
11 Jun 2020 10:34
Dareus WHO ? Brown, please correct me if I'am wrong
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcell_Dareus

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
go pak go wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

I mean that would make me so happy. Bring him in for $2 to $4 million....

But I just don't see happening.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Am I thinking about this right? This is just a quick view of our cap from Spotrac counting in total 53 and with rookies signing.
image.png
image.png (116.49 KiB) Viewed 408 times
image.png
image.png (87.6 KiB) Viewed 408 times
I don't think we will have $14 million, but we probably may be looking at like $12 million after all camp cuts and everything for that 53 according to this.
image.png
image.png (26.37 KiB) Viewed 407 times
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
11 Jun 2020 11:02
Yoop wrote:
11 Jun 2020 10:34
Dareus WHO ? Brown, please correct me if I'am wrong
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcell_Dareus
ahhhhh, that Dareus, thanks, would be great to get him if possible, seems pettine just thinks the guys we have can do much better, at least that was my impression from the comments he's made, course he'd probably say that to the media no matter what he actually thought.

Freewheelingutey
Reactions:

Post by Freewheelingutey »

Man I was pissed they didn't draft Kendricks. That draft was actually loaded at ilb. They needed a starter at ilb also..and all we came away with was an injured Jake Ryan.

Randall wasn't a bad player..but to use a 1st rd pick on a safety and make him play corner didn't make much sense. He is a much better safety. Then they draft a basketball player in rd 2 and think he can be a starting corner..yeah that worked out well. Hyde was also played out of his natural safety position and forced to play corner..goes to Buffalo..pro bowl safety. You can blame ted or dum all you want..but..they both had a part in this! Meathead too, I am sure he had some say in some of that stuff.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Everyone looks at the Pro Bowl year for Hyde, but to be honest he's just been for them what he was for us outside of that one year.

2 passes defended last year. 5 the year before that. 2 and 1 interceptions.

For us he was racking up 2-3 INTs and 6-9 PDs each year. His first year with the Bills was excellent (5 INTs, 13 PDs), but the next two years he's been no more than the guy he was for us and certainly not pro bowl caliber

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

There was someone who said if Hyde was in the next draft class after his rookie film, he’d be the #1 safety in the next draft class. Of course we force him to keep playing CB for 3 more years, let him walk, and he becomes an all-pro safety, lol. I should find out who that was.

Kind of sad after near a decade of liability at safety, we had two very competent starters there in Hyde and Randall and never even tried them there.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

as we all know there are times when players have to play there secondary position or the team would be chastised for not Playing Hyde at slot corner when the prefer'd player Hayward isn't available, if you don't have a better #3 CB then basically that is your only choice, and Dix took the job away from Hyde after the 4th or 5th rookie game, and was obviously better with a higher ceiling, sure you could say that happened because he was a first round pick, but your only fooling yourself, Dix was a stud his first few seasons, with much quicker reaction skills, my opinion.

how is Hyde, or Randal better then Burnett or Dix?

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yoop wrote:
12 Jun 2020 09:46
as we all know there are times when players have to play there secondary position or the team would be chastised for not Playing Hyde at slot corner when the prefer'd player Hayward isn't available, if you don't have a better #3 CB then basically that is your only choice, and Dix took the job away from Hyde after the 4th or 5th rookie game, and was obviously better with a higher ceiling, sure you could say that happened because he was a first round pick, but your only fooling yourself, Dix was a stud his first few seasons, with much quicker reaction skills, my opinion.

how is Hyde, or Randal better then Burnett or Dix?
Yoop does have a point that the timing of acquiring Hyde and Randall was bad for experimenting at safety. HaHa and Burny weren't stars, but we were trying to develop them into ones, and both did show early potential.

The only exception is 2013, the MD Jennings year :puke: , but back then Hyde was a 5th round rookie. Would he have looked great at a new position as a rookie? Highly doubtful.

Other than that we basically would've had to try to try them out at S instead of "proven" vets or re-sign them with a plan to move them to a lower salary position. Not an easy thing to pitch.

The stars were very misaligned for us in these cases...

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
12 Jun 2020 09:14
There was someone who said if Hyde was in the next draft class after his rookie film, he’d be the #1 safety in the next draft class. Of course we force him to keep playing CB for 3 more years, let him walk, and he becomes an all-pro safety, lol. I should find out who that was.

Kind of sad after near a decade of liability at safety, we had two very competent starters there in Hyde and Randall and never even tried them there.
whaaaaa? haaaaa probably McCarthy, I remember he said once ya never want to take Hyde off the field, whatever I didn't even know he played safety prior to us drafting him, I thought he was a college CB, what I remember most about Hyde was that he was a jack of all trades type player, and not really great at any one position, very good, just not great, and thats probably the reason he dropped to the 5th round, where I would agree, he was a steal, he had a brother that I think also played pro ball somewhere, very athletic family.