2022 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Reek
Reactions:

Post by Reek »

BF004 wrote:
11 Apr 2022 13:11
Another WR read for ya here if you just can't get enough.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/17- ... lec-pierce
Pierce caught a total of 54 passes with five touchdowns in 2019 and 2020 but 52 passes with eight touchdowns in 2021. Despite his outrageous combination of height (6-foot-3) and jumping ability (41 inches), his contested-catch rate was merely 30.0 percent last season, according to PFF. He ranks toward the bottom of the class in catchable-catch percentage, broken-tackle rate and YAC.
Humph. I'd have thought his contested catch rate was a lot better than that. His highlights certainly show he has talent in that regard. I guess that's why they call them "highlights"?
Last edited by Reek on 11 Apr 2022 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Reek wrote:
11 Apr 2022 16:11
BF004 wrote:
Pierce caught a total of 54 passes with five touchdowns in 2019 and 2020 but 52 passes with eight touchdowns in 2021. Despite his outrageous combination of height (6-foot-3) and jumping ability (41 inches), his contested-catch rate was merely 30.0 percent last season, according to PFF. He ranks toward the bottom of the class in catchable-catch percentage, broken-tackle rate and YAC.
Humph. I'd have thought his contested catch rate was a lot better than that. His highlights certainly show he has talent in that regard. I guess that's why they call them "highlights".
We Welcome You....

:lol:

I would be interested in breaking down the 'contested' catches. All are not the same, so could just be more bad throws. Guessing the sample size wouldn't be huge, maybe like 20 for the season?

But yeah, his 'highlight' reel certainly looks like a guy who has the ability to go get the ball out of the air.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

So Devin Heckstall, wouldn't mind leaving draft Saturday hearing his name picked by GB.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
11 Apr 2022 17:03
So Devin Heckstall, wouldn't mind leaving draft Saturday hearing his name picked by GB.
Gonna make me google him or do you have some info to share with us as to who he is and why you like him? :mrgreen:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Reek
Reactions:

Post by Reek »

BF004 wrote:
11 Apr 2022 16:50
Reek wrote:
11 Apr 2022 16:11
BF004 wrote:
Humph. I'd have thought his contested catch rate was a lot better than that. His highlights certainly show he has talent in that regard. I guess that's why they call them "highlights".
We Welcome You....

:lol:

I would be interested in breaking down the 'contested' catches. All are not the same, so could just be more bad throws. Guessing the sample size wouldn't be huge, maybe like 20 for the season?

But yeah, his 'highlight' reel certainly looks like a guy who has the ability to go get the ball out of the air.

Thanks!

More of those “highlights”. Unfortunately I couldn’t find any “lowlight” tweets of him. Presumable because there are none. :beer2:

Looks like good catch point skills to me.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Looks like a Gute prospect.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

:shock:

What on earth is that gigantic man doing at that level? Doesn't look fast, but darnit if he isn't big.

While we're discussing late round flier WRs from lower levels...

Dareke Young from Lenoir-Rhyne; 6'2" 223 gadget guy in the Deebo Samuel mold.

Looks like he dropped a few pounds for Pro Day

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

BF004 wrote:
11 Apr 2022 18:02

Those numbers are basically fraud.

No chance they are right.

Hate using any pro day numbers is wild wild west stuff. Combine numbers for those invited and then game tape for everyone.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
11 Apr 2022 18:09
:shock:

What on earth is that gigantic man doing at that level? Doesn't look fast, but darnit if he isn't big.

While we're discussing late round flier WRs from lower levels...

Dareke Young from Lenoir-Rhyne; 6'2" 223 gadget guy in the Deebo Samuel mold.

Looks like he dropped a few pounds for Pro Day

He looks more like a fullback on tape - as per my last post no faith in pro day numbers.

Also I can't torture myself watching game tape of these random school prospects. The level of play is atrocious - hurts the soul.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

did he do a stint in prison before going back to college?

I ask because guys with those measurable usually can at least find themselves a spot on an FCS team. I mean heck, where I am getting my Masters...FCS football team UT of Chattanooga would give anyone a scholarship (without looking at any film) that had measurables like that.

Yet, he played a level lower than even that. Wonder what the deal was.

On that same note...his stats show his last season was the covid year where the small schools played spring ball, what was he doing in the fall of 2021 i wonder?

No hate to the guy, just seems odd...he could certainly be a later round gem!
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Daniel Jeremiah
@MoveTheSticks
·
21h
One of the biggest challenges during this time of the year- ignore the noise. Phil Savage referred to this time of the year as the "fog of confusion"

Go back and look at what you thought of these players on the field......

lots of college players test really well, have great pro days, that doesn't make them football players.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
12 Apr 2022 08:37
Daniel Jeremiah
@MoveTheSticks
·
21h
One of the biggest challenges during this time of the year- ignore the noise. Phil Savage referred to this time of the year as the "fog of confusion"

lots of college players test really well, have great pro days, that doesn't make them football players.
i trust tape above all too.

Which can make it a little harder for guys that played in the nickalodeon slime league or pop warner ball in college. Measurables matter for those guys a little more because you have to guess if their success against scrubs can carry over. That said, thats why those guys go in the later rounds. Its the tax they must pay for going to a small school to rack up stats instead of joining the big boys in the FBS.

I think its fun to dig deep and review some of these guys from glorified high schools, but I would never be tempted to reach for them early.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Trust tape, absolutely. Who here has access to anything more than highlights or social media shared snippets? Let alone, who here can professionally evaluate the tape if they did get it. I know I could put forth an OK effort with the back half of the defense since I have coached it for more than a decade, but even then it would be OK at best and would only serve to separate a 1st rounder from a 5th rounder. Others can offer decent insights into other positions, but no one here even comes close to being able to evaluate film to the extent that they could rival professional scouts.

We rely on social media reports, highlight films, draftnik reviews, and measurables. We sometimes get full game cutups of some of the games with some of the players, but it is NEVER a full picture. We have no access to interviews. We have no direct contact with these players. What we get it was is shared with us. The professionals don't know with certainty who will be good and who won't be, so we sure as hell don't. We can make some guesses and have opinions, but for us to speak with any certainty is wildly arrogant. The term "reach" is also perplexing. It relies on an incomplete and narrow view of the draft. If Mel Kiper says reach he is comparing it to his board, not the boards of all 32 teams. Eric Stokes was a "reach."

It would be a mistake to dismiss players from FCS or lower simply because they played in that league. We would have missed out on the best safety since Leroy Butler. Nick Collins went to Bethune-Cookman. The Broncos would have missed out on Quinn Meinerz, who went to UW-Whitewater (Division 3), and was their starting RG for the last half of 2021.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 12 Apr 2022 09:14, edited 4 times in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Apr 2022 09:03
It would be a mistake to dismiss players from FCS or lower simply because they played in that league. We would have missed out on the best safety since Leroy Butler. Nick Collins went to Bethune-Cookman.
And the best safety since LeRoy Butler before Nick Collins in Darren Sharper from William & Mary.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
12 Apr 2022 09:06
Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Apr 2022 09:03
It would be a mistake to dismiss players from FCS or lower simply because they played in that league. We would have missed out on the best safety since Leroy Butler. Nick Collins went to Bethune-Cookman.
And the best safety since LeRoy Butler before Nick Collins in Darren Sharper from William & Mary.
:clap:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

i love FCS players and love FCS football. I watch it more than any college football outside of SEC games. There can certainly be gems found playing at FCS. But it is easier to see what translates for defensive players, or even linemen. Its difficult to tell what can translate from a skill position perspective or even QB against that are just miles behind what the NFL will offer.

But again, I love FCS guys...but the WR we were talking about isnt even FCS! He played in a league even lower than that, i find that somewhat disqualifying for anything earlier than about round 5.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Brett Favre
Jerry Rice
Walter Payton
Eric Dickerson
Terrell Owens
Isaac Bruce
Brandon Marshall
Cooper Kupp
Tony Romo
Terry Bradshaw
Steve McNair
John Stallworth
Andre Reed
David Johnson

To name a few. A mistake to dismiss them simply because they were not from Division 1 A/FBS/BCS

Also, I do not think anyone is advocating for taking Devin Heckstall or Dareke Young at 53...
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 12 Apr 2022 09:36, edited 1 time in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
12 Apr 2022 08:41
Yoop wrote:
12 Apr 2022 08:37
Daniel Jeremiah
@MoveTheSticks
·
21h

i trust tape above all too.

Which can make it a little harder for guys that played in the nickalodeon slime league or pop warner ball in college. Measurables matter for those guys a little more because you have to guess if their success against scrubs can carry over. That said, thats why those guys go in the later rounds. Its the tax they must pay for going to a small school to rack up stats instead of joining the big boys in the FBS.

I think its fun to dig deep and review some of these guys from glorified high schools, but I would never be tempted to reach for them early.
right for every small school kid that can play, most can't, so it's a tough weed out process for scouts, take in the low level competition it's tough to tell if the stand out player can take that ability to the pro game, there are valid questions about why didn't he transfer to a bigger school.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Apr 2022 09:33
Brett Favre
Jerry Rice
Walter Payton
Eric Dickerson
Terrell Owens
Isaac Bruce
Brandon Marshall
Cooper Kupp
Tony Romo
Terry Bradshaw
Steve McNair
John Stallworth
Andre Reed
David Johnson

To name a few. A mistake to dismiss them simply because they were not from Division 1 A/FBS/BCS

Also, I do not think anyone is advocating for taking Devin Heckstall or Dareke Young at 53...
did i say anyone was advocating for that or did i just say they might be late round gems?