2022 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

i thought we were all on same page. Is someone back to thinking coming from a college smaller than many high schools does not impact a players draft position again?

I thought we were all together on this!! :bkw: :bkw:
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Apr 2022 13:59
Yoop wrote:
12 Apr 2022 13:54
Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Apr 2022 13:38

Ya, you aren't using that term correctly. :lol: :lol:
probably not, but you know what I mean, there are small college like Central Mi., then there are college that are barely even known of like Lenoir-Rhyme.
No, I don't know what you mean. I don't even know what you mean from the above post. Did someone say Lenoir-Rhyne was not a small college?
you put up a list of players that came out of middle size schools like Favre who are much more in the spot light then some guy from a tiny college where there is obviously less exposure, you couldn't understand that from my post? maybe if you didn't act so offended because people disagree with you, you'd actually be open minded to a different point of view.

the whole point of this is that a kid from a small school has a bigger chance of slipping through the cracks then a big school kid, and because there out of main stream attention GM's will be more leary of taking them with high draft picks, which makes sense.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I guess you are going back to "GMs automatically think less of non-FCS school players." Darn, I thought we had gotten you out of that erroneous thinking. :thwap:

FYI, this was NEVER about 1 player from a college no one ever heard of before. In fact, I only mentioned this 1 player in 1 sentence, wondering if someone had advocated for him being a high pick.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
12 Apr 2022 14:15
Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Apr 2022 13:59
Yoop wrote:
12 Apr 2022 13:54

probably not, but you know what I mean, there are small college like Central Mi., then there are college that are barely even known of like Lenoir-Rhyme.
No, I don't know what you mean. I don't even know what you mean from the above post. Did someone say Lenoir-Rhyne was not a small college?
you put up a list of players that came out of middle size schools like Favre who are much more in the spot light then some guy from a tiny college where there is obviously less exposure, you couldn't understand that from my post? maybe if you didn't act so offended because people disagree with you, you'd actually be open minded to a different point of view.

the whole point of this is that a kid from a small school has a bigger chance of slipping through the cracks then a big school kid, and because there out of main stream attention GM's will be more leary of taking them with high draft picks, which makes sense.
No, I couldn't understand that from your post. Where did I act offended?? Where was I closed minded?? I am neither, in fact. My entire discussion points centered around the fact that GMs don't dismiss players simply because they aren't from FBS schools?

Great point, didn't know that was the point you were making that they can slip through the cracks compared to FBS school athletes. I agree. However, that wasn't what I was discussing. GMs don't look at a non-FBS player and automatically refrain from drafting them high because they went to a non-FBS school. They evaluate their play, keeping in mind the competition they faced was not as strong as FBS school and go through the whole draft process. It is riskier to evaluate these guys because there is not a direct comparison when they are looking at FBS athletes. However, if a guy jumps out, they go high, they aren't automatically "taxed/docked" because they weren't FBS.

I had thought we got to basically the same point, but apparently not.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Apr 2022 14:27
It is riskier to evaluate these guys because there is not a direct comparison when they are looking at FBS athletes.
we are back to the same page.

This added "risk" makes some GMs shy away from the selection or pushes FBS guys ahead of the FCS player to no fault of the FCS player other than where he chose to go to school. This "push down the board" in favor of less risk is the "tax" of going to the FCS school that I was referring to.

I think we are back to being on same page! :aok: :aok:
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Apr 2022 14:16
I guess you are going back to "GMs automatically think less of non-FCS school players." Darn, I thought we had gotten you out of that erroneous thinking. :thwap:

FYI, this was NEVER about 1 player from a college no one ever heard of before. In fact, I only mentioned this 1 player in 1 sentence, wondering if someone had advocated for him being a high pick.
I wouldn't have used those terms, but you can be sure GM's would want more proof that the prospect will do just as well against stiffer competition, that what he shows on game film isn't deluded because some kid he beat on film in sticksville USA couldn't make the varsity team at a HS in DEtroit mi. thats why so many of these small, small school prospects go un drafted.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I just wanna turn the page... :messedup:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

APB wrote:
12 Apr 2022 14:37
I tried, I really did! :lol: I think we are there now Bob Seger.

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

APB wrote:
12 Apr 2022 14:37
Kind of the theme of the board. Inane arguments that go no where. Quite vexing.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

I'll turn the page Bob. Pitre is my safety in this class. That dude can play. Physical as hell but can cover. He was the heart beat of a good Dave aranda defense.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

some PFF draft climbers

Sky Moore, Austin, Wyatt..

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-most-und ... -nfl-draft

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
12 Apr 2022 16:55
I'll turn the page Bob. Pitre is my safety in this class. That dude can play. Physical as hell but can cover. He was the heart beat of a good Dave aranda defense.
I do like his highlights, I feel like we haven't talked safety enough.

We like a 3rd safety on the field and both our starters are unsigned after this year (pending 5th year option).

Safety is a very real need and I would say could justify pick 28+ on one.

Nick Cross has been my go to mid round safety from Maryland, haven't dug into many guys, but I liked him, and this never hurts.
image.png
image.png (180.78 KiB) Viewed 214 times

This is an extremely extremely athletic safety group this year. Safeties over 9 RAS are not that common (by definition of the statistic).

Could definitely see us grabbing 2, get a nice pure safety and more of a slot/box hybrid type.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Also found a similar pic for OL.

image.png
image.png (195.66 KiB) Viewed 211 times

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

That ras seems low on Pitre. He didn't run at the combine but jumped a nice 35 and had a good 3 cone. The dude on tape closes

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
12 Apr 2022 18:16
That ras seems low on Pitre. He didn't run at the combine but jumped a nice 35 and had a good 3 cone. The dude on tape closes
Are his hips tight? That's the key.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
Yeah, Petri's size hurts him, too in RAS. He's the type of exception I'd take in a heartbeat. No qualms about him in the 2nd.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
May have been updated with some pro day numbers

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Kinda getting into JT Woods lately.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Apr 2022 21:03
Kinda getting into JT Woods lately.
You gunna tell me about him or do I have to google him? ;)