Green Bay Packers News 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
12 Apr 2022 11:20
Acrobat wrote:
12 Apr 2022 11:14
Yoop wrote:
12 Apr 2022 11:12

we probably wont be able to, we just let the best WR in the league go do to contract demands, Gary will probably end up the same, I'd rather get 4 years of production prior to letting a huge investment walk out the door.
That's not apples to apples though. We resigned Davante after his rookie deal, along with several other players. So the fact that Adams is gone does not give any indication that Gary would be gone too.
I actually cannot think of one single example, ever, where the Packers let a guy walk off his rookie contract because they could not afford to pay him. They have chose to let guys walk that they didn't value enough to pay like Hyde and Hayward, as examples, but never have they said, too rich for my blood with any player that they have targeted to keep coming off his rookie deal.
I get that, but none where in line to get ????????? millions either, I hope we can resign Gary, my point is I'd rather see a high pick starting earlier, but I don't feel like hashing over that opinion, in some respects this D&D has limits, and I've said often what I think they are, old news.

Thanks for bringing all the coach comments, I'll have to watch when I have more time. :aok:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Acrobat wrote:
12 Apr 2022 11:14
Yoop wrote:
12 Apr 2022 11:12
Acrobat wrote:
12 Apr 2022 09:11

We're not resigning Gary? I must have missed this news. Can you link me to the article?

we probably wont be able to, we just let the best WR in the league go do to contract demands, Gary will probably end up the same, I'd rather get 4 years of production prior to letting a huge investment walk out the door.
That's not apples to apples though. We resigned Davante after his rookie deal, along with several other players. So the fact that Adams is gone does not give any indication that Gary would be gone too.
No, your right, I expect if he continues at this pace Guty will figure out a way to resign him, he'll need a Brinks truck to deliver that payload though, by then it'll be 30 mil. per. and we'll have other expensive players to , price of having talent is it's so expensive to keep them.

It's my only reason for saying I'd like to max out the rookie contract with the player on the field, quicker return on investment is typically a good thing, right?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
12 Apr 2022 15:43
Coaches speak.

Interesting that Butkus seems very pleased with the interior depth and youth but says we need to add "a couple" bodies at tackle. The coaches have all played coy about where Jenkins will play, but that still strikes me. I know coaches say things; I also know, for a fact, that what coaches want and what the personnel department gives don't always line up (the OL coaches in 2005 were certain TT would be giving them a decent pick or two at OG after cutting the starters, and they got Will Whitticker in the 7th).

He didn't name names, but I guess Hansen and Cole Van Lanen are these tough smart promising interior young guys he mentions? He does say some things about Newman specifically.

Anyway, I found it interesting.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
13 Apr 2022 13:23
He didn't name names, but I guess Hansen
From what he showed as a rookie, I was ready to write him off, but it sounds like Jake Hanson really very quietly improved a great deal last year and became a viable sub player.

Read More. Post Less.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Watkins will be a Packer if he passes his physical
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

*their

The left needs to be exterminated

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Trudge wrote:
13 Apr 2022 13:47
Watkins will be a Packer if he passes his physical
I hope he does and hope your info comes true :clap:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
14 Apr 2022 09:14
Honestly, it angers me that someone who has a platform and followers came up with such a ridiculously uninformative surface-level evaluation of who Sammy Watkins is and why he would fit in Green Bay. Like how do you make that video without even noting that he played under our head coach in 2017 and our passing game coordinator in 2014-15?

How do you discuss his career-low performances without discussing his injuries and trying to at least evaluate whether those are injuries that break a body down or injuries that have solid recovery rates?

Like what did this guy add to the reddit post? He simply summarized a rumor in long-form. Zero value-add.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I had Sammy 3 tiers ahead of Davante. What a reach. :lol:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

paco wrote:
14 Apr 2022 11:16
Would be huge, for the right price.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Rodgers would have a 1st Round WR!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Apr 2022 11:56
paco wrote:
Watkins has zero market leverage right now. Coming off two injury-plagued years with career lows. Building off of a 1-year $5M contract which he underperformed. There’s no realistic cost that is too much, then. $5 M is his CEILING. He’s not getting a raise from last year.

If we’re talking about Julio, who I could see signing in a wide range of prices, I’d add “for the right price.” For Sammy, the price is gonna be right. That’s part of his appeal.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

A little interesting hosting Sammy. Just given Lafleur coached with both Fuller and Julio.

I guess Will Fuller would be further removed, but playing on Shanahans O and then in Tennessee, gotta think Julio would pick up the playbook the quickest.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
14 Apr 2022 12:10
Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Apr 2022 11:56
paco wrote:
Watkins has zero market leverage right now. Coming off two injury-plagued years with career lows. Building off of a 1-year $5M contract which he underperformed. There’s no realistic cost that is too much, then. $5 M is his CEILING. He’s not getting a raise from last year.

If we’re talking about Julio, who I could see signing in a wide range of prices, I’d add “for the right price.” For Sammy, the price is gonna be right. That’s part of his appeal.
I guess I don't know what NFL players and their agents think. I would assume you are right, but Drew Rosenhouse has thrown a wrench in things too many times for me to trust that these guys are rational in their asking price. ;)
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
14 Apr 2022 12:19
A little interesting hosting Sammy. Just given Lafleur coached with both Fuller and Julio.

I guess Will Fuller would be further removed, but playing on Shanahans O and then in Tennessee, gotta think Julio would pick up the playbook the quickest.
I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Julio was a top choice. I think he’s waiting to leverage a team need after the draft to get the best price and that the teams in the WR market were sort of waiting.

I bet Julio’s price range hit a point when the Packers realized they needed to move forward on their backup, less expensive plan.

I think the connections, fit, size, and price have always made Sammy a very very likely target. But they probably were interested in some other options also.

To me this either means they are pulling out on pricier options OR they realized they can get Watkins cheap enough that they still have room to sign someone else after the draft if needbe so they might as well pull the trigger now to decrease positional urgency on draft weekend.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

other than veteran leadership which is needed, I dont even want Julio around the first couple months of the season. He never plays a full season anymore. I would just want him fresh and peaking come playoff time.

I would seriously offer him the chance to make decent money, play on a pitch count all year, try to protect him, and then hope to unleash him come January.

I dont care what he does for us in the regular season. He can impact Ws and Ls in the playoffs, dont care about him doing that in regular season (considering the division we play in)

That said, Im sure Julio will end up in Tampa or KC.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

My thought is that I'd actually like both Julio and Watkins and then still draft two WR's high. Worst case is you have some bridge the gap veteran leadership who have both caught big game clinching (well, then Atlanta blew the game after Julio's catch) receptions in the Super Bowl while the rookie WR's find their way.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
14 Apr 2022 12:38
other than veteran leadership which is needed, I dont even want Julio around the first couple months of the season. He never plays a full season anymore. I would just want him fresh and peaking come playoff time.

I would seriously offer him the chance to make decent money, play on a pitch count all year, try to protect him, and then hope to unleash him come January.

I dont care what he does for us in the regular season. He can impact Ws and Ls in the playoffs, dont care about him doing that in regular season (considering the division we play in)

See, I'd love Julio around for a few months months till Jameson Williams gets up to speed. ;)

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004 wrote:
14 Apr 2022 13:34
Drj820 wrote:
14 Apr 2022 12:38

See, I'd love Julio around for a few months months till Jameson Williams gets up to speed. ;)
Replace Julio with Sammy ;)