2022 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
18 Apr 2022 08:24
BF004 wrote:
18 Apr 2022 07:57
So I’ve been out of the loop past few days.

Anything at all to report from Drake London’s pro day?
not really, according to this he didn't work out, just validated his physical dimensions, and told everyone he'll be ready to play when the season starts, any questions, watch my game films.

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft/ ... ns-pro-day

imo like Williams teams will confide with medical opinion and both will be gone top 15, both have gobs of what teams want, wish they would drop. but just dont see that happening, as usual half the league is looking for a WR.
He did on the field drills but didn't do any speed tests.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Looks like the only thing to make out of it is that the ankle is healthy.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Apr 2022 10:05
I kinda understand not running the 40 when just barely recovered, while other prospects have had a period of special training for those drills. But woulda been sweet if he had ran it and rocked anyways...

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
18 Apr 2022 09:31
Yoop wrote:
18 Apr 2022 08:24
BF004 wrote:
18 Apr 2022 07:57
So I’ve been out of the loop past few days.

Anything at all to report from Drake London’s pro day?
not really, according to this he didn't work out, just validated his physical dimensions, and told everyone he'll be ready to play when the season starts, any questions, watch my game films.

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft/ ... ns-pro-day

imo like Williams teams will confide with medical opinion and both will be gone top 15, both have gobs of what teams want, wish they would drop. but just dont see that happening, as usual half the league is looking for a WR.
He did on the field drills but didn't do any speed tests.
right, I think his point was that his on field play shows his athletic ability, and that the Ankle was mending well, but he didn't want to stress it and have a set back, imo London is probably one of the safer picks to evaluate he does a lot stuff well that over comes his lack of straight line speed, boxing out defenders, huge catch radius, most mocks I see have him #2 behind Wilson, some have both off the board top 10.

Him and Skyy Moore would get us right :aok:

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

salmar80 wrote:
18 Apr 2022 14:22
Pckfn23 wrote:
I kinda understand not running the 40 when just barely recovered, while other prospects have had a period of special training for those drills. But woulda been sweet if he had ran it and rocked anyways...
I mean his 40 means nothing imo. On the field he ran away from everyone every time so running after an injury is bad biz. The dude flys in pads. Good for him

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
18 Apr 2022 16:51
salmar80 wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
I mean his 40 means nothing imo. On the field he ran away from everyone every time so running after an injury is bad biz. The dude flys in pads. Good for him
Are you saying Drake London flies in pads?

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Realist wrote:
18 Apr 2022 19:18
Backthepack4ever wrote:
salmar80 wrote:

Wasn't the talk about Williams?? That's who I was talking about and unless you haven't seen that guy ran away from everyone

Just to feed into your comment London isn't flying in pads. Neither does AJ Green. Evans or tee Higgins. They use their size to win. Their 40 time like Jordy Nelson or Adams doesn't speak true to their game. Michael Irvin always said out pads and a ball in their hands and that's the true story.

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
18 Apr 2022 21:13
Realist wrote:
18 Apr 2022 19:18
Backthepack4ever wrote:

Wasn't the talk about Williams?? That's who I was talking about and unless you haven't seen that guy ran away from everyone

Just to feed into your comment London isn't flying in pads. Neither does AJ Green. Evans or tee Higgins. They use their size to win. Their 40 time like Jordy Nelson or Adams doesn't speak true to their game. Michael Irvin always said out pads and a ball in their hands and that's the true story.
I saw ankle and assumed London was who you were speaking of.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Interesting stuff from Ahman Green and Mike Wahle on Herman's podcast.

Their take on what a team should focus on in the draft was essentially character, character, then talent. Used Clowney as an example that even the very best athletic traits won't help if the prospect doesn't have his heart in it. I do agree, not one prospect comes into the NFL all ready-made. I think 20-25 year olds can still change their ways if put in good company, but bad habits can be hard to break. Kenny Clark comes into mind as a guy who not only was extremely talented and physically imposing very young, but also had the right mindset and work ethic.

Unfortunately character is one side of prospects that fans and draftniks will have a hard time digging into, except for extreme cases and some tidbits of info.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I love this. I think our line is kind of missing that Sitton/Lang heel.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
20 Apr 2022 09:55
I love this. I think our line is kind of missing that Sitton/Lang heel.

Tyler Smith is my choice for that role.

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/nfl-com ... nsive-line

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Here's where I am on WRs.

I'll break the WRs I like for the Packers into tiers that take into consideration where I expect them to be drafted and what it will cost to acquire them. That means that just because I put a WR in a higher "I want him on the Packers tier" does not mean I think that WR should be drafted ahead of someone in a lower tier. This is about Packer fit and draft value, combined.

Five Guys I Love
  • Jameson Williams
  • Christian Watson
  • Trey Burks
  • George Pickens
  • Alec Pierce
If we come away with any 2 of these 5, I would be overjoyed. Any one of these five, and I would be stoked, but some come with caveats. If we take Burks, for instance, I need more speed later. If we take Watson, I want more refinement later. If we take Pickens, I want more character/maturity later. Etc.

Either Good Enough Regardless of Fit or Fits Enough That Upside Concerns are Excused
  • Garret Wilson
  • Drake London
  • Chris Olave
Like obviously, I won't be sad if we get a top-tier WR who isn't my personal fave.

Guys I Like as Secondary Picks
  • Kevin Austin, Jr
  • Skyy Moore
  • David Bell
  • Tyquan Thornton
  • John Metchie
  • Bo Melton
  • Erik Ezukanma
I like all of these guys a bunch, but would be disappointed if any were our only addition to the position

Ok, This Can Work
  • Jalen Tolbert
  • Wan’Dale Robinson
  • Calvin Austin III
  • Khalil Shakur
  • Danny Gray
  • Kyle Phillips
  • Romeo Dubbs
  • Velus Jones
Nice traits, decent upside, but not exactly what I'm looking for. A lot of undersized gadgets or one-dimensional players here who will likely have a role in the NFL, but I want more.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I am on the same line Yoho except I think David Bell and Kevin Austin are off (I can't overlook lack of speed and lack of size...they are extreme)

Unless they are available later at a really good value.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
20 Apr 2022 10:48
I am on the same line Yoho except I think David Bell and Kevin Austin are off (I can't overlook lack of speed and lack of size...they are extreme)

Are you confusing Austin with someone else?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
20 Apr 2022 10:56
go pak go wrote:

Are you confusing Austin with someone else?
I think he means Calvin Austin. Not Kevin.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:

I think your confusing the Austins, Kelvin is the big one who runs 4.3 Calvin is the smaller guy, but he has jets as well, both Austins are fast

I like the one Yoho likes, I also agree with just about everything he wrote.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

salmar80 wrote:
19 Apr 2022 14:41
Interesting stuff from Ahman Green and Mike Wahle on Herman's podcast.

Their take on what a team should focus on in the draft was essentially character, character, then talent. Used Clowney as an example that even the very best athletic traits won't help if the prospect doesn't have his heart in it. I do agree, not one prospect comes into the NFL all ready-made. I think 20-25 year olds can still change their ways if put in good company, but bad habits can be hard to break. Kenny Clark comes into mind as a guy who not only was extremely talented and physically imposing very young, but also had the right mindset and work ethic.

Unfortunately character is one side of prospects that fans and draftniks will have a hard time digging into, except for extreme cases and some tidbits of info.

'Over an hour long so it will be a while before I can get to that episode, though I'm super interested.

I do remember Wahle saying a similar thing in one of his recent episodes with Andy, about how the best guys on this team (specifically using Adams and Bakthiari as examples) are guys who you see going above-and-beyond in the work they put in, and that that's what separates the solid players from the great ones.

As a big measurables guy, I am slightly skeptical of the message. Lots of guys work their ass off but do not cut it at the pro level. There are also examples of guys who were not hard workers or took their job very seriously that still had great careers e.g. Deion Sanders.

So I can't get behind "character, character, then talent." It's great that little Cole Beasley works hard and gets everything he can out of his skill-set, but he'll never be elite like Adams, and the reason is not work habits.

But apart from that, I agree. Some guys seem to be content with just being NFL players, then there are guys who put in the work. I am willing to sacrifice a bit of athletic talent for greater confidence in the player as a professional. It's a give-and-take.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Y'all I prefer other positional needs and I'm not sure exactly where the value will leave him in terms of our draft picks, but Tyler Smith REALLY checks our OL boxes.

Like he's exactly our athletic profile, a bit of a tone-setting bully, AND is bigger, with longer arms, than our current group, which there is reason to believe we're seeking.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Apr 2022 19:47
Y'all I prefer other positional needs and I'm not sure exactly where the value will leave him in terms of our draft picks, but Tyler Smith REALLY checks our OL boxes.

Like he's exactly our athletic profile, a bit of a tone-setting bully, AND is bigger, with longer arms, than our current group, which there is reason to believe we're seeking.
Yeah, I’m a huge fan.

Just traded up to the early 40’s for him last mock.

But long athletic strong RTO or guard prospect.

I believe the packers had him in for a visit.

I think the need is very real. We just lost Patrick and Turner, two starters. Down to no depth, relying on two guys coming back from ACL’s.

Very long term thinking already, but I’d like to be in a position to not resign JRJ already. Jenkins gunna eat a lot, Myers and Newman both unsigned the year after.

Myers, timing wise might replace Bak as a 2nd contract guy. I like to two target two OL on 2nd contract, difficult, but I hate getting over 3.