Veteran WR Options

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
19 Apr 2022 10:20
Pckfn23 wrote:
19 Apr 2022 10:14
Drj820 wrote:
19 Apr 2022 09:58

why would there need to be ground work laid for anger if we do not draft a WR in the first round when we have two picks in the first round and our current WR room consists of 6 guys who didnt combine for 1600 yards in the NFL last year?

No ground work needed
I don't know, you tell me? I never understand getting angry before something happens or doesn't happen.

2016 Packers had just over 1300 yards from the WRs in the previous year.

Here is another example of what I am talking about:
Drj820 wrote:
19 Apr 2022 09:59

if it plays out like this, that will be unfortunate for us...
Why is it unfortunate? (Other than the 1 going way too early?)
Lol because it would be unfortunate to desperately need to replenish the WR room and have 2 first round picks to do just that...and then miss out on getting the guy the Packers locate as the guy they need. Or the one year we have 2 1st rounders there not be one guy the Packers locate as being worthy of one of those picks at WR.

That would be a bummer, no?
You and a few others keep saying this. Yet I haven't really read any names this forum loved.

Trey Burke has seemed to be the most popular. But he also isn't likely to be an immediate impact outside of getting the ball in his hands and let his YAC take over.

The separator this forum wants just doesn't seem to be there early in this draft.

That's why I expect disappointment. Whenever general terms are used of "get the guy they want most" without any real top end crushes....I expect disappointment.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
19 Apr 2022 10:29
Drj820 wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

I don't know, you tell me? I never understand getting angry before something happens or doesn't happen.

Lol because it would be unfortunate to desperately need to replenish the WR room and have 2 first round picks to do just that...and then miss out on getting the guy the Packers locate as the guy they need. Or the one year we have 2 1st rounders there not be one guy the Packers locate as being worthy of one of those picks at WR.

You and a few others keep saying this. Yet I haven't really read any names this forum loved.

Trey Burke has seemed to be the most popular. But he also isn't likely to be an immediate impact outside of getting the ball in his hands and let his YAC take over.

The separator this forum wants just doesn't seem to be there early in this draft.

That's why I expect disappointment. Whenever general terms are used of "get the guy they want most" without any real top end crushes....I expect disappointment.
yes i will be dissapointed if in a draft where we possess 2 1s we leave without a guy worthy of being drafted in round one.

Does this feeling of disappointment make me a bad fan?
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I rather trade up from Round 3 back into Round 2, if possible, knowing we have a comp 4th anyway, than trade up in Round 1. If we have to give a little bit extra to do it, so be it.

Then we'll be getting five players within the first two rounds, as opposed to three if we trade up within 1. I also don't really feel like the talent between picks 5 and 20 will be appreciably greater than what's left at 22.

Some nice WR options like London and Olave may go in that range, but no one really "can't miss" IMO.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
19 Apr 2022 09:58

why would there need to be ground work laid for anger if we do not draft a WR in the first round when we have two picks in the first round and our current WR room consists of 6 guys who didnt combine for 1600 yards in the NFL last year?

No ground work needed

Drj820 wrote:
19 Apr 2022 09:59

if it plays out like this, that will be unfortunate for us...

A. I don't believe we desperately need anyone, not after signing Watkins.
B. We will never know if the Packers identified a guy and then missed out on that guy, so I can't get worked up over something I don't know about.
C. I personally don't see a receiver in this draft that would be deemed a "can't miss" guy, even though that term doesn't truly exist.
D. I would be more inclined to taking several shots at WR over the first 3 rounds than putting all our eggs in 1 basket.
Drj820 wrote:
19 Apr 2022 10:33
yes i will be dissapointed if in a draft where we possess 2 1s we leave without a guy worthy of being drafted in round one.

When the talk is in generalities, yes. Who is this guy? It's a setup to be angry unless the Packers trade up for a WR.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
go pak go wrote:
19 Apr 2022 10:29
Drj820 wrote:

That's fine. But you are keeping it so generalized. You only talk 2 1st rounders and if we don't get who we really like.

But honestly, I don't really like anyone that much to use significant draft capital to chase. The guy I like the most will start the year on PUP. So it's just hard for me to get excited about using significant draft capital for the sake of using draft capital.

I would be far more excited using a 3rd plus 22 to jump up and get an elite athlete and body on a guy like Jordan Davis rather than settling for a WR group that I don't believe much separates guys taken in mid round 1 to guys who will likely go on day 2. And apparently you don't either because no specific names are hardly ever mentioned.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

More relevant for the draft discussion thread, but most relevant to this current conversation.

Great listen, just on possible trade up options, why they make sense, and vegas betting lines of where players will go.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
19 Apr 2022 11:42

Great listen, just on possible trade up options, why they make sense, and vegas betting lines of where players will go.

Starts at where my thinking is, minus maybe the Drake London comment. Talks about it again at 7:50.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

I want a WR that can consistently get open and catch a TD pass when its 1st and goal on the 8 yard line .... regardless who is playing QB. I don't care if it takes 4 chances to get the TD accomplished. :bkw:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Ya have to get a tier 1 guy, finally someone says it, this has been a no brainer from me from the get go, use slot 59 and slot 22 and move up and take the guy, whether it's Williams or Wilson or even Olave, all three are walk on ready, all 3 are very good at separating, all 3 have the wheels to stretch a defense, all 3 have great hands, and all 3 are capable of 1000 yrd rookie seasons
no brainer......

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Never got the Love hear for a over weight space eater like Davis, struggles to play at 340 lbs, and gets so gassed out can only play at best 50% of the snaps, the guy blows up the Combine with great athletic ability and now everyone wants him, give me Wyatt or Jones, least they can stay on the field.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
19 Apr 2022 13:51
Never got the Love hear for a over weight space eater like Davis, struggles to play at 340 lbs, and gets so gassed out can only play at best 50% of the snaps, the guy blows up the Combine with great athletic ability and now everyone wants him, give me Wyatt or Jones, least they can stay on the field.
I think the narrative of Davis playing half the snaps due to being gassed is lazy and not looking at the whole picture.

Every player on that Georgia defense played limited snaps due to sheer volume of high level talent on the defense. The love of Davis was strong far before the combine.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
19 Apr 2022 14:01
Yoop wrote:
I think the narrative of Davis playing half the snaps due to being gassed is lazy and not looking at the whole picture.

Every player on that Georgia defense played limited snaps due to sheer volume of high level talent on the defense. The love of Davis was strong far before the combine.
I get the rotational thing But there is plenty of comments out there that Davis becomes a liability late in games because he's gassed, and has a weight issue, in fact some say he has bust potential just like Raji and so many of these huge guys,.

we already have a two gap DT, take a guy like Wyatt with slot 28 or wait till later, we need a DT that can also get after the QB

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan.

Guy is physically a unicorn, but I just don't really see it on film and in production stats.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

go pak go wrote:
18 Apr 2022 10:41
The Packers are paying 4 times as much to keep Allen Lazard over EQSB.

To me that is pretty telling that the Packers coaches and front office clearly believes that Lazard is significantly a more quality player than EQSB.

I too wanted to keep Q over Lazard because the cost was less and I felt Q could take over the Lazard role. But I also can't overlook that those "in the know" put their money where their mouth was when determining who would be a starter between Lazard and EQSB.

So I will definitively say that Q would not be a starter on this current Packers roster because the front office and coaches actively stated this offseason that he is not good enough for our roster - let alone a starter. Even at a significant cost discount.
Not really. Lazard is currently our #1 WR, so EQSB can still be (and is) a starter even if Lazard is higher than him on the depth chart. Plus it's not that the front office stated that he is not good enough for our roster or let alone a starter, it's that they didn't re-sign him despite his cheap cost. That could mean any number of things, including what you say, but also including the possibility that he would be a starter here for 2022 but that they feel as though they know his ceiling and would like to move on anyway because they'd rather roll the dice with a rookie or FA.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
19 Apr 2022 14:55
Yoop wrote:
Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan.

Guy is physically a unicorn, but I just don't really see it on film and in production stats.
I'am just as guilty as others of falling for these biggie bigs, I wanted Raji when we took him, and we have had some really good ones ( Pickett, Gilbert Brown, etc.) so who can say, I just think we'll get just about as much bang for less with Guys like Jones or Wyatt, obviously not the anchor of Davis, but better pass rush skills, I know we need improvement stopping the run, but he's not the only solution.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Pckfn23 wrote:
19 Apr 2022 10:39
Drj820 wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

B. We will never know if the Packers identified a guy and then missed out on that guy, so I can't get worked up over something I don't know about.
C. I personally don't see a receiver in this draft that would be deemed a "can't miss" guy, even though that term doesn't truly exist.
D. I would be more inclined to taking several shots at WR over the first 3 rounds than putting all our eggs in 1 basket.
Drj820 wrote:

When the talk is in generalities, yes. Who is this guy? It's a setup to be angry unless the Packers trade up for a WR.
A. To say we don't desperately need another WR or 2 in this upcoming draft after signing Watkins is wishful thinking. Sammy is good when he is on the field but I don't think he has been healthy for an entire season in a while.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pugger wrote:
19 Apr 2022 15:47
Pckfn23 wrote:
19 Apr 2022 10:39
Drj820 wrote:

Drj820 wrote:

A. To say we don't desperately need another WR or 2 in this upcoming draft after signing Watkins is wishful thinking. Sammy is good when he is on the field but I don't think he has been healthy for an entire season in a while.
Yeah this whole debate really comes down to the two categories of people on the board. people who think Watkins, Lazard, and some mid rounders are a group that can be competent and win a SB

or people who say, whoooaaa Watkins is a nice hire but he is a total mystery, Lazard sucks, and we need more fire power to win a super bowl.

People who think Watkins and Lazard shouldnt be relied apon want to take desperate measures in the draft, people who have hope in those two are less concerned.

It seems.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
19 Apr 2022 16:09

Yeah this whole debate really comes down to the two categories of people on the board. people who think Watkins, Lazard, and some mid rounders are a group that can be competent and win a SB

or people who say, whoooaaa Watkins is a nice hire but he is a total mystery, Lazard sucks, and we need more fire power to win a super bowl.

People who think Watkins and Lazard shouldnt be relied apon want to take desperate measures in the draft, people who have hope in those two are less concerned.

It seems.
Not at all. And it’s actually been incredibly clearly articulated.

The debate is between people who are under the impression that there will be one clear automatic, instant impact WR identifiable in advance worth multiple picks/ trading up for…

And those who recognize that there is a spectrum and depth of WR talent available in this draft which might favor using multiple picks in multiple players rather than using multiple picks to secure one player.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
19 Apr 2022 16:29
Drj820 wrote:

It seems.

The debate is between people who are under the impression that there will be one clear automatic, instant impact WR identifiable in advance worth multiple picks/ trading up for…

And those who recognize that there is a spectrum and depth of WR talent available in this draft which might favor using multiple picks in multiple players rather than using multiple picks to secure one player.
:aok: :aok: :aok: :clap: :clap:
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
19 Apr 2022 16:29
Drj820 wrote:

It seems.

100%