Packers Sign Sammy Watkins

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Apparently only 350K guaranteed. :shock:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Yoop wrote:
19 Apr 2022 11:13
If we get 500 yrds from Watkins this year, we'll be fortunate, If Sammy stretches the defense which allows others to have success he'll have earned his 4 mil. thats all I want out of Watkins.
With his legit speed he can indeed stretch a defense. We just have to hope he can stay healthy for once.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
19 Apr 2022 18:29
Yoop wrote:
If we get 500 yrds from Watkins this year, we'll be fortunate, If Sammy stretches the defense which allows others to have success he'll have earned his 4 mil. thats all I want out of Watkins.
Interestingly........John Jefferson made the Pro Bowl for the Packers averaging about 3-4 catches a game. If Sammy Watkins can at least give us JJ performances, that should be enough. But then again where is our Lofton, Sharpe, Brooks, Freeman, Driver, Nelson or Adams?
Hopefully waiting to be drafted next week. ;)

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pugger wrote:
20 Apr 2022 07:21
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
19 Apr 2022 18:29
Yoop wrote:
Interestingly........John Jefferson made the Pro Bowl for the Packers averaging about 3-4 catches a game. If Sammy Watkins can at least give us JJ performances, that should be enough. But then again where is our Lofton, Sharpe, Brooks, Freeman, Driver, Nelson or Adams?
Hopefully waiting to be drafted next week. ;)
:aok:

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

go pak go wrote:
14 Apr 2022 14:38
YoHoChecko wrote:
14 Apr 2022 14:35
texas wrote:
14 Apr 2022 14:18
Weren't some of yall pushing for him like a month ago? I remember someone here sold me on him, so I'm glad to see us try him out.
Myself and @Ghost_Lombardi were all aboard this train for a while. Others didn't disagree. Some others may have been on the bandwagon.

This honestly just made too much sense not to happen. Honestly.
Yup! You nailed this one!!! :aok: :clap:

For everyone wanting that "immediate Adams replacement" in the draft....

this is your guy. This is your immediate replacement. Now we can draft that developmental/maybe make a splash as a #2 guy.
Pretty funny thread if u look back at it.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Realist wrote:
06 Nov 2022 22:26
go pak go wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
14 Apr 2022 14:35

Myself and @Ghost_Lombardi were all aboard this train for a while. Others didn't disagree. Some others may have been on the bandwagon.

This honestly just made too much sense not to happen. Honestly.

this is your guy. This is your immediate replacement. Now we can draft that developmental/maybe make a splash as a #2 guy.
Lol
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The good thing about Sammy, as I stated on this thread months ago, is that he is very cheap.

The bad thing is he was touted as some solution to our WR issues. That touting came from some fans (some on this forum), and obviously the FO as they made no other move but draft projects and mid round guys

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Drj820 wrote:
06 Nov 2022 23:13
The good thing about Sammy, as I stated on this thread months ago, is that he is very cheap.

The bad thing is he was touted as some solution to our WR issues. That touting came from some fans (some on this forum), and obviously the FO as they made no other move but draft projects and mid round guys
Yep, didn't work out.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

The signing of and reliance going into 2022 upon Sammy Watkins represents the culmination of 5 years of abject failure by Gutekunst to adequately address the wide receiver and tight end positions.

I fear, based upon his play but even more so on his inability to adapt to the physicality of the NFL and his very light frame, that using two 2nd round picks on Christian Watson may eventually be seen as just another example of Gutekunst's failures when it comes to the wide receiver position.

At least with Watson, we can still hope for progress in the future.

Watkins is done and it would be in everyone's best interests to move on from Sammy sooner rather than later. Maybe one of his former teams will be desperate enough to sign him for their playoff run, but I doubt it.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
06 Nov 2022 23:09
Realist wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Lol
Yeah. It is funny reading your threads the summer 2021 regarding Amari Rodgers too.

No question Sammy Watkins was a swing and a miss. He's just too fat and slow.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

LombardiTime wrote:
07 Nov 2022 06:18
The signing of and reliance going into 2022 upon Sammy Watkins represents the culmination of 5 years of abject failure by Gutekunst to adequately address the wide receiver and tight end positions.

I fear, based upon his play but even more so on his inability to adapt to the physicality of the NFL and his very light frame, that using two 2nd round picks on Christian Watson may eventually be seen as just another example of Gutekunst's failures when it comes to the wide receiver position.

At least with Watson, we can still hope for progress in the future.

Watkins is done and it would be in everyone's best interests to move on from Sammy sooner rather than later. Maybe one of his former teams will be desperate enough to sign him for their playoff run, but I doubt it.
I would be very much in favor of releasing him sooner than later. We are now in the job interview for 2023 mode.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
07 Nov 2022 06:34
Drj820 wrote:
Realist wrote:

Lol
Yeah. It is funny reading your threads the summer 2021 regarding Amari Rodgers too.

Ya I was wrong about amari. But we Lol’d about this one not because it was wrong but because you said in other thread that only Rodgers was excited about Hammy.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
07 Nov 2022 06:38
go pak go wrote:
07 Nov 2022 06:34
Drj820 wrote:

Lol

Ya I was wrong about amari. But we Lol’d about this one not because it was wrong but because you said in other thread that only Rodgers was excited about Hammy.
He was.

So was I. I am not going to apologize about my fanhood.

I was very vocal I wanted to move on from Rodgers in the offseason, but I was also completely on the train for a SB run once we made the commitment.

You asked about Training Camp. It was getting clear by TC he was probably not going to be it. He didn't do anything. I made this comment at time of signing.
Last edited by go pak go on 07 Nov 2022 06:44, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Has anyone considered that the Packers WR woes might not just be bad luck with regard to injuries and poor drafting?

What if it is poor coaching and an inconsistent message where a young receiver is told to run a pattern and a certain QB expects the young receiver to read his mind and know what subtle signals from that QB mean? What if poor coaching is because no WR coach worth his salt wants to take orders from AR? Its not like the Packers have not been drafting WR's and bringing in FA's. It seems odd to me that the only ones that they hit on are Adams and Nelson in the Rodgers era. True, Jennings but he could not wait to get out of GB and there was probably a reason. And Adams took less money to leave.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

I still think we need Mooch to come in as Head Coach ....... bring in Mooch to fix this messed up mess.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

YoHo put himself out there on something he was optimistic about and hoped would work out for this team. He was wrong. It happens. I still respect the hell out of the guy, way more than the guy who bumped this thread solely to ridicule him.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I say that as someone who was a doubter on this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1028&p=96155
Labrev wrote:
31 May 2022 16:40
I'm a Watkins skeptic. He's physically identical to Davante Adams, yet has not produced remotely the same. Adams is a guy who put in the work to be the best. I have not seen or heard any similar drive from Watkins, pretty consistently mediocre everywhere he has gone. He strikes me as a slacker. How many different changes of environment do you need to find the right home?

Funny how his best seasons were his first two, arguably the worst situation he was in (Buffalo). It's almost like once he was able to prove he could play in the league, he just stopped trying.
I wanted Julio, who has not fared much better in production/health, but I would trust way more to be a pro's pro and would bring some work habits to the WR room that would be valuable.

YoHo was probably correct about Watkins being a great on-paper fit, but I think he neglected another important truth: the guy is a loser.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Labrev wrote:
07 Nov 2022 08:27
YoHo put himself out there on something he was optimistic about and hoped would work out for this team. He was wrong. It happens. I still respect the hell out of the guy, way more than the guy who bumped this thread solely to ridicule him.
Absolutely.

And definitely wasn't 'green and gold colored glasses' and 'FO can do no wrong', he wanted Sammy all offseason, well before it ever happened. Always a bit of a crap shoot, sign a guy a year earlier to a similar contract, you get an all-pro LB. but at that price tag, he was obviously is a gigantic exception. 31 other teams agreed expectations should have been low for Sammy.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
07 Nov 2022 08:27
Yeah. I enjoy thoughtful and stimulating conversation. We have so many great posters who bring that too. But unfortunately this forum is getting dominated by posts that are 4 words or less and only include the words "lol" or "trash"

That's really enjoyable conversation.
Yoop wrote:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Has anybody clarified whether the miscommunications between Watkins and Rodgers were the fault of one or the other, or both yesterday? I saw Watkins speak at his locker. I had the impression that he was covering for his QB, or just totally searching for any answer.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!