2022 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
20 Apr 2022 20:02
YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Apr 2022 19:47
Y'all I prefer other positional needs and I'm not sure exactly where the value will leave him in terms of our draft picks, but Tyler Smith REALLY checks our OL boxes.

Like he's exactly our athletic profile, a bit of a tone-setting bully, AND is bigger, with longer arms, than our current group, which there is reason to believe we're seeking.
Yeah, I’m a huge fan.

Just traded up to the early 40’s for him last mock.

But long athletic strong RTO or guard prospect.

I believe the packers had him in for a visit.

I think the need is very real. We just lost Patrick and Turner, two starters. Down to no depth, relying on two guys coming back from ACL’s.

Very long term thinking already, but I’d like to be in a position to not resign JRJ already. Jenkins gunna eat a lot, Myers and Newman both unsigned the year after.

Myers, timing wise might replace Bak as a 2nd contract guy. I like to two target two OL on 2nd contract, difficult, but I hate getting over 3.
I still really like Penning. I see a more polish as a pass protector, but don't love the 6'7" size. Then, I read scouting reports with concerns about knee bend and maybe Smith is a better prospect for us. Other than height, though, and I guess age, if you look at their measurables side-by-side, there really isn't a stones throw of difference.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yeah, I love Penning, but I am pretty sure he’ll be gone before 22.

But he’s also a tackle only, I’d kind of like the more versatile guy.

I’d be totally fine playing him where’d Smith would be better and Jenkins plays the other.

I’d also be okay paying Jenkins top RT money to play guard, screwing with that market.

If it makes our line better having someone else at tackle and Jenkins at guard, do it. Don’t force Jenkins to RT just because we are forced to pay him such. Given injuries, he’ll prolly get a good 4-8 games at tackle anyways.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

WR draft rumors are picking up.

Burks falling because he didn't impress teams mentally.
Pickens off teams boards and because of major character concerns and will get picked later.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
21 Apr 2022 15:04
WR draft rumors are picking up.

Burks falling because he didn't impress teams mentally.
Pickens off teams boards and because of major character concerns and will get picked later.
Neither of those surprise me.

I remain interested in Pickens, but have been up front all along that he was known to UGA people as a problem and would need significant monitoring and mentorship and a lot of faith in our locker room culture.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Who are you top 5/10 safeties, and why? Any rate round flyers you like?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
21 Apr 2022 15:22
Who are you top 5/10 safeties, and why? Any rate round flyers you like?
I like Percy Butler and Tycen Anderson in the 5thish for developmental safeties but immediate ST studs

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

CBS 10 mock consensus now has us taking Bernard Raimann OG Central Mich. I'd love to see that 10 consensus mocks, the kid has carried a 2nd to 3rd round grade and they have us using slot 22 on him.

I can't make heads or tails of this draft by listening to anyone, opinions change daily, obviously the top 10 players opinions are pretty stable, with some minimal player swaps, after that players from the 2nd since forever are now top 20 and vice versa, Skyy Moore for us at 22, or Pickens, or Dotson, Watson, or Karlaftis, ( not bad) or Jones ( really really, not a fan, space pigs turn me off) :lol: one I saw had us taking Cine at 22, the guy has been a 2nd rounder since last november.

IMHO this has been a impossible draft to really get a feel for, I enjoy all the comments and info ya'll bring, thanks :aok:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Alright, I'm out on every WR. I don't like any of them before the 2nd or 3rd. This is NOT the year to need THE guy.

I don't want to give up what we got for Davante and pay what they gave Davante, for any of of the big name options. Maybe AJ Brown. But I don't think they trade him.

If we can give up just a 1st and maybe something later, ok.

I won't be mocking a wr to us in the 1st this year.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
21 Apr 2022 20:36
Alright, I'm out on every WR. I don't like any of them before the 2nd or 3rd. This is NOT the year to need THE guy.

I don't want to give up what we got for Davante and pay what they gave Davante, for any of of the big name options. Maybe AJ Brown. But I don't think they trade him.

That’s what I had to tell myself. The talent is there. Just have to let it come to us. No one worth jumping everyone for.

Read More. Post Less.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

paco wrote:
21 Apr 2022 20:36

The talent is there, rookie wrs are playing a bigger role than ever before and we need a wr more than anything.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Nope, they all suck.

-signed Francis.
RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I'm okay with a slight move up if London or Williams are within reach, which I highly doubt will happen, but... who knows?

To a lesser extent, ok with doing the same for Wilson or Olave, because the need at WR is big enough. I'd sit tight, though.

I've also managed to convince myself that Watkins is justifiable value at either of our 1st's (basically a poor man's Williams, yet he might actually fit our offense better). Not trading up for him, but yeah.

After those five, though, yeah... Round 2 it is.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I think Tyquan is growing on me as the guy with the most potential to be great. But it's going to take time.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Nice little stat. We are lapping the field on Day 3.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
21 Apr 2022 20:57
I'm okay with a slight move up if London or Williams are within reach, which I highly doubt will happen, but... who knows?

To a lesser extent, ok with doing the same for Wilson or Olave, because the need at WR is big enough. I'd sit tight, though.

I've also managed to convince myself that Watkins is justifiable value at either of our 1st's (basically a poor man's Williams, yet he might actually fit our offense better). Not trading up for him, but yeah.

After those five, though, yeah... Round 2 it is.
You must be talking about the 2nd rounder Watson, I'd reach for him at #28, but he'll have a learning curve,.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I keep coming back to this guy. A WR with a spinal surgery should have me running the other way, but he made it back and played last year. I think this guy could still be on his way back up.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I wasn’t a huge fan before learning about the spinal surgery just now.

Like I’d get it Saturday, but I really only think we should have room for 2 rookies on the active roster, I hope we get two higher upside guys well before he goes.

Maybe if you are thinking 6th or 7th round with initial plan of PS, unless they force your hand to the good, I’ve kind of soured on the 4th-6th round WRs for the most part.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
22 Apr 2022 08:44
Nice little stat. We are lapping the field on Day 3.
thats an amazing stat
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

In a world where we do secure Jordan Davis, who i see as a true NT, does Kenny get moved out to LE or RE? I see kenny as extremely versatile.

Or does Davis slim down further and play LE or RE?

I kind of see Davis as an elite gap clogger. Dont expect much from him as a pass rusher. Therefore, where people talk about how he only played limited snaps at UGA...maybe he plays somewhat limited snaps for his NFL team too. But when he is in, he is elite at what he does...which is clog the run on any down that may involve a run.

I think that skill may be enough to justify back 1/3 of the first round for drafting Davis.

I would NOT move up to get him. I would be happy at 22 though. Even though my top preference is to move up from 22 and secure WR WIlliams.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Both Kenny and Davis could play anywhere on a DL, so long as they have the proper technique development and play within their assignments.

Jordan Davis is more athletic and explosive than Devonte Wyatt--not adjusted for size, but point blank. Same speed (top 2 times at the combine, 0.01 apart), better vertical (by 3 inches), better broad jump (by a full foot).

As long as he dedicates to the craft, he can do anything that any DL can do. He did what he was asked to do by UGA at an elite level. I anticipate he can do whatever most teams might ask of him at an elite level, given the time to hone the required techniques. There is zero pigeon-holing for Jordan Davis that I will accept. It's truly up to his dedication level that determines his outcomes, there are no capability deficiencies. This is a truly once in a lifetime athlete. I've never seen anything like it.

That said, Davis at 15 using 22 and 59 versus Travis Jones at 28 without needing to trade? Travis Jones gives you 85% of what you get from Davis at a much lower cost. So I could easily prefer that if I wasn't a UGA homer who enjoys Davis' goofy personality.