2022 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

just looked at Chad Rueters 7 round mock, shocking to see all the 2nd rounders that most have going round one, we get Jones DT with slot 59, Ojabo Edge with 53, Lucas OT at 28 and Olave WR at 22

https://www.nfl.com/news/seven-round-20 ... -treylon-b

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
24 Apr 2022 11:47
just looked at Chad Rueters 7 round mock, shocking to see all the 2nd rounders that most have going round one, we get Jones DT with slot 59, Ojabo Edge with 53, Lucas OT at 28 and Olave WR at 22

https://www.nfl.com/news/seven-round-20 ... -treylon-b
Those picks make perfect sense if you swap Jones and Lucas' draft positions, haha.

I like the idea of taking Ojabo if he falls, but I know it'd be a controversial pick as a guy with a premium pick that won't impact 2022.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Travon Walker now the better favorite to go #1. Just in time for all the rumors that Evan Neal is actually the target.

It's not often that we aren't sure of #1 by now. Going to be a fun/crazy week of hot takes.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco wrote:
25 Apr 2022 07:59
It's not often that we aren't sure of #1 by now. Going to be a fun/crazy week of hot takes.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

If you've got a TheAthletic.com subscription, here's an article talking about a lot of prospects with coach and scout comments. It will not help you make any decisions. :lol:
https://theathletic.com/3263599/2022/04 ... kobe-dean/
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I do feel like a few teams like Carolina (6), Atlanta (8) and Washington (11), short of needing a QB, should be desperate to move back and get more picks.

Although other than them, I think Minnesota (12) and Baltimore (14) are content where they are and not likely for Minny to trade with us, but then you just got a lot of teams with a lot of picks not as likely to move back Seattle (9), Jet, (10), Texans (13). That is before you get to that 15 state where the Saints and Eagles each pick twice and need WR's.

I think 14 is going to be a very coveted pick for Baltimore by teams who need a WR or want to get Penning before New Orleans gets to pick.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Maybe Gute not so afraid of the oldies.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
25 Apr 2022 10:07

Maybe Gute not so afraid of the oldies.
That includes day 2 picks though. I think if you saw it for Day 1, it would look much different. Day 1 is all young guys with high upside. But he's willing to draft oldies after that.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
25 Apr 2022 09:04
If you've got a TheAthletic.com subscription, here's an article talking about a lot of prospects with coach and scout comments. It will not help you make any decisions. :lol:
I love these kinds of articles and insights, but I desperately need more of it. Guys outside of the top 2 or 3 per position and a collection of selected sleepers. I want to know what they're saying about Davante Wyatt; about Phidarian Mathis; about Logan Hall.

I want to hear insights on Day Three WRs like Tyquan Thornton and Romeo Dubbs and Kevin Austin, Jr.

I need moooooorrrreeee coach and scout comments :mrgreen:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Apr 2022 10:30
paco wrote:
25 Apr 2022 09:04
I love these kinds of articles and insights, but I desperately need more of it. Guys outside of the top 2 or 3 per position and a collection of selected sleepers. I want to know what they're saying about Davante Wyatt; about Phidarian Mathis; about Logan Hall.

I want to hear insights on Day Three WRs like Tyquan Thornton and Romeo Dubbs and Kevin Austin, Jr.

I need moooooorrrreeee coach and scout comments :mrgreen:
Of those you named, here are the snippets From McGinn (sorry not all of them)...
2. DEVONTE WYATT, Georgia (6-3, 309, 4.79, 1): Operated as a 3-technique, which figures to be his NFL position. “I’d take Davis,” said one scout. “Wyatt has quickness and agility. He’ll show you an explosive first step to engage and penetrate. He improved his hand use as a pass rusher as the 2021 season progressed. He has a knack for getting his hands up in passing lanes and batting the ball down. Potential starting DT. Can he continue to develop as an interior rusher?” Another scout said no DT in this draft was as good as the Titans’ Jeffery Simmons, adding that Wyatt was the closest. “He’s a f----- so he may slide,” said a third scout. “But he is talented enough. He’s not as big as Gerald McCoy. He’s got more movement than Kenny Clark. He’s a little bigger than Tommie Harris but he’s got lateral movement and explosiveness like that.” Arrested and charged after a domestic incident involving a woman at her dwelling in 2020; charges later were dropped. “He’s not a wow but he’s really good at everything,” a fourth scout said. “He’s strong and athletic. He can bend. Good with his hands. You want him to finish better but there were times he was almost unblockable, and he wasn’t playing against The Little Sisters of the Poor.” Finished with 113 tackles (12 for loss) and five sacks as a two-year starter. “He’s a little bit of a turd but he’s got more upside than (Davis),” a fifth scout said. “He’s good, but the really good one is still there. Jalen Carter. He’s the best player on their team.” Arms measured just 32 5/8. Wonderlic of 8. “Little bit of a screwup but he loves football,” said a sixth scout. “He’s got some strength at the point of attack and interior gap quickness. He will hustle to the ball. He’s a 3-technique penetrator.” From Decatur, Ga.

3. LOGAN HALL, Houston (6-6, 285, 4.95, 1-2): A three-star recruit, it wasn’t until his third season that he got a full sack and became a starter. “He’s got similar measurables to Arik Armstead, and I think that’s the position he’s going to end up playing,” said one scout. “Where he can be a base end, but he’ll be better when he plays inside over guards and becomes a mismatch.” Had a great week at the Senior Bowl after feasting on offensive linemen in the American Athletic Conference. Said another scout: “Those guys blocking him are the worst offensive linemen in college football. Third round.” Finished with 99 tackles (20 ½ for loss) and eight sacks. “He looks like a 5-technique but we think he can play 3-technique because he’s quick and twitchy and can overwhelm people with his length (32 ¾ arms). Problem is, I saw him get pushed around so much inside. He can play high. Little bit raw. Needs a lot of work on his pass-rush moves.” Posted 19 on the Wonderlic. “Whatever he wants to be he can be,” said a third scout. “He can rush inside 100%. He’s more powerful than Justin Tuck, but not as quick.” From Belton, Texas.

7. PHIDARIAN MATHIS, Alabama (6-4, 311, no 40, 2): Redshirted in 2017 and played in a rotation behind NFL draft choices from 2018-’20. Still wasn’t a full-time player in early ’21 before denting the lineup and starting 12 of 15 games. “Love him,” said one scout. “He’s got the worst body but love the player. Strong as &%$@. He’s got good intangibles. He just makes plays. He’s a good player now.” Finished with 165 tackles (24 ½ for loss) and 10 ½ sacks. “Great technician, poor athlete,” a second scout said. Has long arms (34 5/8). “He’s a 3-4 nose only,” said a third scout. “He is your plugger. Got a weird-looking body. He’s high cut, and his lower is leaner than his upper. He’s got enough power in his upper that he can hold the point. He does play really hard. I don’t see special.” Wonderlic of 11. “I know Jordan Davis is one of the top tackles but I like the Mathis kid,” said a fourth scout. “Love his enthusiasm and the way he played. Played with a tremendous amount of intensity. Has unusual explosion for a guy that big. Shows acceleration on twists. More of a power guy than a twist guy. More bull-rush guy than a finesse, dominant pass rusher. He and the Georgia guys were pretty elite.” From Wisner, La. “I thought he was overrated,” a fifth scout said. “When you’re a fifth- or sixth-year guy at Alabama that’s a red flag. Because if you’re good enough you’re out of there. He’s a rank-and-file backup combination DT-DE. He might fit a 3-4 as a D-end. He did play hard. He did show up some this year. But he’s nowhere near Marcel Dareus or Quinnen Williams.”

14. TYQUAN THORNTON, Baylor (6-2 ½, 183, 4.30, 3-4): Ran the fastest 40 by a wideout this year. “I know he’s skinny as a stick but I see quickness and great speed,” said one scout. “He’s explosive. He can get vertical. He’s just got to get stronger and put on some weight, but those are things you can do. He’s a big-play threat waiting to happen. He’s a better version of Darius Slayton or Will Fuller. What (Henry) Ruggs was. He’s got that caliber impact. But this guy can actually run routes.” Has tiny hands (8 ¼). “That league (Big 12) does have some speed and he just ran by people,” said a second scout. “Quick feet, loose hips, good change of direction. He runs through the deep ball. A lot of guys try to lunge at the deep ball. He doesn’t get his arms up until the last minute.” Finished with 143 receptions for 2,242 (15.7) and 19 TDs. “Just smooth,” a third scout said. “Just an immature kid. I think once he gets into a pro camp he’ll be fine. He looks like more of a track guy than a football guy. Looks like an 800-meter guy.” From Miami.
RIP JustJeff

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

NCF wrote:
24 Apr 2022 17:13
I was just thinking this very thing. Only the names change. Lol.
:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

some positions age much better then others, so in that sense draft age has variables, we know RB's typically don't age well, we know that OL typically do, same with WR, CB, etc. also the ability to resign players in the UFA era with escalating player demands.

years ago a drafted player more often finished his career with the same team that drafted him or at least played out most of two contracts, sadly now those days are gone, now teams trade studs in there 4th year rather then see them walk after 5.

with all this in mind, is it necessary for your draft prospect to be 21 or 22 years old? I don't think it's quite as important as it use to be :mrgreen:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
25 Apr 2022 10:56
Another scout said no DT in this draft was as good as the Titans’ Jeffery Simmons, adding that Wyatt was the closest
that was a top loaded DT class, Simmons was the 5th taken at slot 19, for Wyatt to rank close to him is a heck of a compliment.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
25 Apr 2022 11:18
paco wrote:
25 Apr 2022 10:56
Another scout said no DT in this draft was as good as the Titans’ Jeffery Simmons, adding that Wyatt was the closest
that was a top loaded DT class, Simmons was the 5th taken at slot 19, for Wyatt to rank close to him is a heck of a compliment.
For kicks, my 2019 board.

image.png
image.png (114.27 KiB) Viewed 370 times

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Texans have too many picks, Pats not enough. Makes sense. I can see us making a similar deal to get back into the 6th round.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco wrote:
25 Apr 2022 15:07
Texans have too many picks, Pats not enough. Makes sense. I can see us making a similar deal to get back into the 6th round.
I would like to add some more draft capital to 2023 if some good value presents itself this year.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

paco wrote:
21 Apr 2022 20:36
Alright, I'm out on every WR. I don't like any of them before the 2nd or 3rd. This is NOT the year to need THE guy.

I don't want to give up what we got for Davante and pay what they gave Davante, for any of of the big name options. Maybe AJ Brown. But I don't think they trade him.

If we can give up just a 1st and maybe something later, ok.

I won't be mocking a wr to us in the 1st this year.
A thought ... In 1959 the 25th pick in the draft ended being Offensive Rookie of the Year. This was Vince's first year working with Jack Vainisi. Legendary.