Round 2 - Pick #53, Christian Watson, WR, North Dakota State

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Apr 2022 20:41
Just listened to his conference call and Milt Hendrickson's brief presser. Love this kid.
I loved this kid a month ago, but I don't have draft crushes.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Apr 2022 20:44
YoHoChecko wrote:
Just listened to his conference call and Milt Hendrickson's brief presser. Love this kid.
I loved this kid a month ago, but I don't have draft crushes.
Ran a search of the words Christian and Watson on this site.

After you get through the posts that mentioned both Desean Watson and Christian McCaffery, the first mentions of Watson on this site look like this:
image.png
image.png (137.26 KiB) Viewed 873 times
:mrgreen: :aok:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah but we gave up a 1st equivalent.

So I don't know YoHo....

I loved Watson, but intentionally didn't pay attention to him because he was clearly a 34 - 45 guy in my mind and I just didn't want to fall in love with a player who was going to be a Colt or something.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

wallyuwl wrote:
29 Apr 2022 19:08
paco wrote:
29 Apr 2022 18:50
wallyuwl wrote:
29 Apr 2022 18:45
I am out. What was the trade?
53 and 59 for 34.
Ouch
I suppose you gotta give up a lot to move up almost 20 spots in a high round like that.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
29 Apr 2022 20:55
Yeah but we gave up a 1st equivalent.

So I don't know YoHo....

I loved Watson, but intentionally didn't pay attention to him because he was clearly a 34 - 45 guy in my mind and I just didn't want to fall in love with a player who was going to be a Colt or something.
And that is where he was taken.

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

paco wrote:
What an ass...

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

paco wrote:
Isn't it standard procedure for a draft pick to first talk to the GM? :mrgreen:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I don't mind moving both our Round 2 picks to go get Watson. I did some mock sims a few days ago and felt like the "sweet spots" of the draft were {Late 1st - Early 2nd} and {mid-to-late-3rd} so I felt like those were some areas where I'd like to see us move, up or down.

We also do have a nice track record with Round 2 WRs. 8-) :aok:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Labrev wrote:
29 Apr 2022 21:17
paco wrote:
Isn't it standard procedure for a draft pick to first talk to the GM? :mrgreen:
Yes, but that's typically right BEFORE he's drafted.
RIP JustJeff

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

It was costly to give up those two picks. But what I don’t like more was giving those to the Vikes.

Even so, this guy is an “alien” with his measurables. He’s exactly what Guty would draw up for a player. You have to love it that we could get a guy like that. Now, he and the coaches just need to turn that into production on the field. He will be very good if he can stay healthy.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Labrev wrote:
29 Apr 2022 21:17
I don't mind moving both our Round 2 picks to go get Watson. I did some mock sims a few days ago and felt like the "sweet spots" of the draft were {Late 1st - Early 2nd} and {mid-to-late-3rd} so I felt like those were some areas where I'd like to see us move, up or down.

We also do have a nice track record with Round 2 WRs. 8-) :aok:
That mid to late third really hit, too!!

I think that sweet spot extends into the 4th, though.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Christian Watson is basically offensive Eric Stokes as a prospect.

If you just watch the tape and look at the measurables, you think “wow this guy has unreal athleticism at + size, but his tape still seems raw and so he’s a risk not to develop. And his hands need work.”

But when you listen to what the coaches say about him and his work ethic, and you hear the kid talk and get a feel for how coachable, hard working, and committed to improving he is, you immediately feel safe with the guy to really turn into something as a football player.

It’s hard to go wrong with traits and work ethic.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

So my friend who knows football and usually gets things right said that this guy was the guy he was hoping we would get. Yesterday, he said this guy was in the 2nd tier, but that the top tier guys weren't better enough than him to justfy going up to get them vs staying at our spot and picking Watson (we stayed at our spot and got Wyatt, but the point remains). And that it is entirely possible Watson is the top WR of this draft. He was hoping we would not trade up to get Olave, the Alabama guy, the USC guy, or the other Ohio State guy and would instead get Watson or Pickens to fall to us (preferably both).

He also said that my Eagles fan friend was wrong abot Wyatt and that Wyatt looked solid (not a superstar, but will be an excellent lineman).

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Apr 2022 23:45
Christian Watson is basically offensive Eric Stokes as a prospect.

If you just watch the tape and look at the measurables, you think “wow this guy has unreal athleticism at + size, but his tape still seems raw and so he’s a risk not to develop. And his hands need work.”

But when you listen to what the coaches say about him and his work ethic, and you hear the kid talk and get a feel for how coachable, hard working, and committed to improving he is, you immediately feel safe with the guy to really turn into something as a football player.

It’s hard to go wrong with traits and work ethic.
Yup. I’m optimistically hoping that Watson turns into a taller version of Jordy Nelson. Oh, if only…
:-)

BTW, isn’t there still a “Rogers” out there at WR that we can draft on Saturday?
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Willink
Reactions:

Post by Willink »

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

I thought he was more jeff janis then top prospect in the process.

Looking forward to him proving me wrong.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

bud fox wrote:
30 Apr 2022 03:25
I thought he was more jeff janis then top prospect in the process.

Looking forward to him proving me wrong.
Jeff's only problem was the Wonderlic. He could not unlearn bad habits such as body catching. This kid has no such problems but he will need a good coach. He will prove you wrong unless injuries derail him which is a risk for everyone.

So far the Packers have 2 that can be major contributors on ST. No more starting in the 18 yard line while the opponents start on the 35.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

MVS replacement, just and only a deep threat in the 1st season. Risky bc after a couple a deep-pass drops they will not take him seriously and we will abandon the tactic. I cannot remember a receiver pick 32+ that got his team some real contribution in the first 2 seasons. :| Hopefully I am too pessimistic here again.

Edit: Bullsh*t, just recall Jennings was also a second round pick and he was good right away.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
29 Apr 2022 19:38
Waldo wrote:
29 Apr 2022 19:34
go pak go wrote:
29 Apr 2022 19:27
The Packers gave up the equivalent of the 26th Pick to get Watson.
I wonder if they were trying to get back in last night to go get him.
The rumor is that Gute was trying to get pick 32 originally.

Which is weird because ARod claimed we only had 6 receivers with a 1st round grade. Hmm...
Maybe not Dotson or Burks

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Side note: I look forward to the coming season of inevitable [mention]Yoop[/mention] posts confusing/misspelling Watkins for Watson and vice versa. :mrgreen: