2022 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
30 Apr 2022 10:07
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
28 Apr 2022 07:20
Right Tackle, 2 WRs, LB, Defensive Lineman, Tight End, maybe even another offensive lineman.
Pursuant to the directive ..... Gutey's mojo seems to be workin' admirably so far. :aok:
Whoa! It happened again. And we're not talking about what Dallas said after the Ice Bowl. 2 WRs, offensive and defensive linemen, a LB. Gutey's doing a fine job this year. Get your 4 GUTEY license plate now.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
30 Apr 2022 13:55
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
30 Apr 2022 10:07
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
28 Apr 2022 07:20
Right Tackle, 2 WRs, LB, Defensive Lineman, Tight End, maybe even another offensive lineman.
Pursuant to the directive ..... Gutey's mojo seems to be workin' admirably so far. :aok:
Whoa! It happened again. And we're not talking about what Dallas said after the Ice Bowl. 2 WRs, offensive and defensive linemen, a LB. Gutey's doing a fine job this year. Get your 4 GUTEY license plate now.
Another offensive lineman. Where's the TE?

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

11 HOFers.
Screenshot_20220430-193920_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20220430-193920_Facebook.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 1235 times
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

A good draft. Filled the immediate needs with our first 4 picks. Added some quality depth. Undoubtedly some of these guys will not pan out, but I think we picked guys with some really high potential.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I also like the haul on this draft. Guty is going more and more after elite athletes. Some won’t work out. But those who do should become very good.

Now I wonder if Guty would also bring in another vet WR. But I’m thinking he won’t because he’ll be satisfied to see what he has in Watson and Doubs (and Watkins, for that matter).
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I actually think this might be Guty’s best draft so far. He didn’t panic or reach too much. He got athletes with loads of upside. He addressed positions of need. He made strategic trades to help him get his guys. And he added SPEED on both sides of the ball.

I give him an A+ on this class.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Scott4Pack wrote:
01 May 2022 01:38
I actually think this might be Guty’s best draft so far. He didn’t panic or reach too much. He got athletes with loads of upside. He addressed positions of need. He made strategic trades to help him get his guys. And he added SPEED on both sides of the ball.

Agreed. Very happy with Quay and Watson. Immediate upgrade at ILB. MLF is probably going to redo the WR's and TE's and will surprise a few of us. I don't expect any of the new Olinemen to start because I think Jenkins and Bakh will both be fine and Jenkins will start at RT. But having options if someone gets hurt this year and if they can't resign Jenkins is necessary. Really like that RB from Iowa, steal of he draft to get him as a UDFA.

Packers D, if they stay reasonably healthy, is now the best in the league.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

TheSkeptic wrote:
01 May 2022 03:04
Scott4Pack wrote:

Agreed. Very happy with Quay and Watson. Immediate upgrade at ILB. MLF is probably going to redo the WR's and TE's and will surprise a few of us. I don't expect any of the new Olinemen to start because I think Jenkins and Bakh will both be fine and Jenkins will start at RT. But having options if someone gets hurt this year and if they can't resign Jenkins is necessary. Really like that RB from Iowa, steal of he draft to get him as a UDFA.

The D SHOULD be top three now, based upon investments of draft picks. They have more speed. They have one year of the new DC’s system. They have continuity. And they have very good athletes. They are more stout in the middle now. Seriously, if it goes well, how would we not have a top tier D?

And while the offense still lacks any TE depth and proven productivity at WR, everything else is in very good shape.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

TheSkeptic wrote:
01 May 2022 03:04
Scott4Pack wrote:

Well then ..... say hey Willies (Wood, Davis and Buchanon) and Eddie Lee. Let's go 17-0 and win the championship. Then Aaron can GO PACK GO!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Nakobe Dean is a classic example of the disconnect between NFL front office scouting and Draftnik scouting. He was considered by the media to be a 1st round pick and the 2nd ILB off the board. He went in the 3rd round, 83rd overall, and was the 7th off the ball linebacker taken. He definitely could end up be a huge steal, but every NFL team passed on him at least 1 time. The draftniks loved him much more than NFL teams did. Draftniks provide an invaluable service for us and we would know next to nothing without them, see pre-internet days of the draft, but it should all be taken with a grain of salt and not gospel. IMHO.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 May 2022 13:24
Nakobe Dean is a classic example of the disconnect between NFL front office scouting and Draftnik scouting. He was considered by the media to be a 1st round pick and the 2nd ILB off the board. He went in the 3rd round, 83rd overall, and was the 7th off the ball linebacker taken. He definitely could end up be a huge steal, but every NFL team passed on him at least 1 time. The draftniks loved him much more than NFL teams did. Draftniks provide an invaluable service for us and we would know next to nothing without them, see pre-internet days of the draft, but it should all be taken with a grain of salt and not gospel. IMHO.
Dean is no doubt an example that perhaps we can gain some information from, but it sounds like the medical was a big deal for him and that didn't really become public until Friday.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
01 May 2022 14:52
Pckfn23 wrote:
Dean is no doubt an example that perhaps we can gain some information from, but it sounds like the medical was a big deal for him and that didn't really become public until Friday.
That was the reason the media gave, no doubt. Those medical details were known well before Friday and were thought to not hinder him in the future. Haven't heard otherwise, yet. I also think not working out because of the injuries coupled with him being 5' 11 3/8" and 231 played a big role as well. Teams skeptical of his role.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 May 2022 16:45
NCF wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
That was the reason the media gave, no doubt. Those medical details were known well before Friday and were thought to not hinder him in the future. Haven't heard otherwise, yet. I also think not working out because of the injuries coupled with him being 5' 11 3/8" and 231 played a big role as well. Teams skeptical of his role.
Yeah. Definitely need to take the Draftniks with a grain of salt. Basically they provide us names, but anything beyond that I just don't think we can trust outside of entertainment value only.

I still look at the "most successful and respected draftnik" - Mike Mayock. He actually got to do it. And he had a ton of draft capital. And he also set basically a draft record of 3 1st round picks not getting a 5th year option.

That tells you a lot you need to know I believe.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
01 May 2022 17:43
Pckfn23 wrote:
NCF wrote:

Yeah. Definitely need to take the Draftniks with a grain of salt. Basically they provide us names, but anything beyond that I just don't think we can trust outside of entertainment value only.

I still look at the "most successful and respected draftnik" - Mike Mayock. He actually got to do it. And he had a ton of draft capital. And he also set basically a draft record of 3 1st round picks not getting a 5th year option.

i wonder how much power he really had. I think he was just providing info for Gruden, who then made the final decisions in the building.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
01 May 2022 17:43
Pckfn23 wrote:
NCF wrote:

I think people look at a few draft consensus misses and over look how close they are with most predictions, most people have to rely on the consensus of the draft niks, most have been involved with this stuff many years, some are past players and NFL scouts, some of these guys have hit rates that compare to some GM's in the league because this is there full time gig as well.

lets face it most of us lack availability to film study, most of what we can see is high lite reel stuff, hardly a complete sample of the player, unless you spend your Saturdays watching 18 wide screen TV on college games, Draft service people is our best source of info.

I saw this, what a Athletic group we took.

Player

Pick

RAS

LB Quay Walker

DL Devonte Wyatt

WR Chrsitian Watson

OL Sean Rhyan

WR Romeo Doubs

8.28u

OL Zach Tom

OLB Kingsley Enagbare

S Tariq Carpenter

DL Jonathan Ford

OT Rasheed Walker

N/A

WR Samori Toure

Needless to say, this was another highly athletic draft class for the Packers. The team picked two players in the 96th percentile in the first round and then got two of the most athletic prospects at their respective positions (Christian Watson, Zach Tom) over the next two days.

Top pick Quay Walker combined incredible length with elite speed in the 40-yard dash and a tremendous finish in the three-cone drill for a player his size. Fellow first-round pick Devonte Wyatt had a 99th percentile finish in the 40-yard dash, 20-yard split and 10-yard split and a 93rd percentile finish in the three-cone drill at 304 pounds. Both first-round picks can really move.

Watson narrowly missed becoming the most athletic wide receiver ever. He finished in the 99th percentile for the broad jump and 10-yard split. He’s nothing if not explosive at 6-4.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/athletic-p ... 29731.html

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I definitely have my quibbles and qualms with this class and the process and the value...

...but overall, I am STOKED with how this turned out. This year's 3 OL are much better than last year's 3 OL in my opinion, completely solidifying the depth renewal with starter potential that we needed.

The two defensive spots that most needed upgrades--3-tech and ILB2--were hit early with players that have elite ceilings, even if they weren't the guys I'd have necessarily picked (my alternatives both went in the 3rd, though, so clearly a value gap for me, as well). I think Walker will get most of the Henry Black snaps and maybe some of the Kris Barnes snaps to start with. I think Wyatt finishes the year top-4 in DL snaps (Kenny, Mean Dean, Reed and Wyatt) for a really sturdy rotation (Slaton useful, as well).

We need to get two starting-caliber receivers out of the group of Watkins (FA), Watson, Doubs, and Toure. A 50% hit rate is totes do-able. I see Watkins starting out as the de facto #1 and Watson as an early starter. I think Doubs takes the more one-note MVS role in the medium term as Watson graduates from a limited role to a more complete WR. Toure honestly looks like a bottom of the roster ST keeper to me, even if we PS him initially. I like this group. I don't see a J'Mon Moore (slow with bad c.o.d.--bad combo) in the group. Some limitations, for sure; some likely ceilings; not certain of second contracts, but they seem unlikely to be total washouts.

I like Kingsley, but as a 5th, it doesn't much matter if he turns out any better than Garvin; he has a lot more ST experience than you'd expect from his athletic profile, too. Not a gunner or anything, but multiple units.

The 7th rounders look like a bunch of STs and PS guys--including Ford who despite his big buff lack of movement was also on some ST units. And that's what 7th rounds are for.

I love the class as a whole. Would I, for instance, tweak the value by taking Wyatt at 22, Watson at 28, Cam Taylor-Britt (nickel db) or Trey McBride (TE) at 53 and Leo Chenal or Chad Muma (ILBs) at 59? Yeah, I would rather that. But The guys we have as a whole group really get me feeling good about the overall state of the team. We got potential starters where we needed them and depth where we needed it for almost all positions (save DB depth)

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Yoop wrote:
02 May 2022 14:41
Fellow first-round pick Devonte Wyatt had a 99th percentile finish in the 40-yard dash, 20-yard split and 10-yard split and a 93rd percentile finish in the three-cone drill at 304 pounds. Both first-round picks can really move.
Years ago I looked at combine stats, trying to ID stats/stat combos at each position that led to pro success. I found a couple for pass rushers that have proven quite prophetic, that have become pretty well known now (the speed rusher formula and power rusher formula for edge). Edge was definitely the strongest correlation, but there were decently strong ones for all defensive groups. DT had a reasonably strong correlation, but I can't explain why. Usually you'd think bench or jumps or 3 cone for DT's as its important for their play. Nope, 40 time.

At DT the stat (or stat grouping) with the strongest correlation to pro success is the 40 time (or at least was as of 10 years ago).

I tend to be much better at identifying patterns than explaining why that pattern exists, especially when the pattern borderline defies explanation. This is one of those cases. I can't really tell you why, but draftable DT's that run good 40's tend to work out in the pros.

Even weirder, the overall correlation between 40 time and pro success, comparing position groups, DT came out as the position with the strongest success correlation. No offensive position had any real correlation whatsoever.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Waldo wrote:
03 May 2022 07:42
Yoop wrote:
Fellow first-round pick Devonte Wyatt had a 99th percentile finish in the 40-yard dash, 20-yard split and 10-yard split and a 93rd percentile finish in the three-cone drill at 304 pounds. Both first-round picks can really move.
Years ago I looked at combine stats, trying to ID stats/stat combos at each position that led to pro success. I found a couple for pass rushers that have proven quite prophetic, that have become pretty well known now (the speed rusher formula and power rusher formula for edge). Edge was definitely the strongest correlation, but there were decently strong ones for all defensive groups. DT had a reasonably strong correlation, but I can't explain why. Usually you'd think bench or jumps or 3 cone for DT's as its important for their play. Nope, 40 time.

At DT the stat (or stat grouping) with the strongest correlation to pro success is the 40 time (or at least was as of 10 years ago).

I tend to be much better at identifying patterns than explaining why that pattern exists, especially when the pattern borderline defies explanation. This is one of those cases. I can't really tell you why, but draftable DT's that run good 40's tend to work out in the pros.

Even weirder, the overall correlation between 40 time and pro success, comparing position groups, DT came out as the position with the strongest success correlation. No offensive position had any real correlation whatsoever.
I saw several people mentioning broad jumps in particular. The Packers seem to grab guys who were elite in this particular drill, and for all positions. Maybe that's a specific one they look at that is a good indicator of explosion. :idn:
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Waldo wrote:
03 May 2022 07:42
Yoop wrote:

Glad to see ya have a bit more time now to post, I think I remember you said home life and Job stuff took all your leisure time, whatever, always enjoy your comments :aok:

Ya, who would ever correlate 40 time for DT to help determine possible success, the guys make a living inside a 5X5 yrd box lol, like you I always felt the cone, jumps where the biggest deciders for them, and truth be told I've missed on far more DT's then I hit on, thing is ya have to draft em and hope ya got it right, gotta have em, I never faulted Ted for guys like Neal, or Worthy, it's a high bust rate position ( maybe bust is to strong a opinion, just that most don't play up to slot taken, just my opinion of course).
anyway of all these DT's, I think we got a good one, maybe not best at either tech, but good at both.