Faith Restored?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
10 May 2022 08:01
doesn't seem to register with some fans that Lowery is a decent DT, I've been saying it for several years, I'd happily keep him as the first rotator to except we now have sorta rebuilt the position at a cheaper cost, that makes Dean expendable, I hope we can trade him for some compensation, but it's doubtful because teams know we'll probably cut him and they can sign him for less, we'll save 6 mil. by dumping him.
I don't think he is expendable, I think he will more than likely be our 2nd best defensive lineman this year. If you are competing for a Super Bowl, you don't get better by cutting a starter on D.

Frankly, I'm really excited, like actually genuinely excited, about our DL this year. And not just randomly hopeful on some guys.

I love the ability to give Kenny a few more snaps off a game. With how deep this group is, that should finally be a thing.

Davante Wyatt is old enough where you would hope he will come in an contribute sooner than most rookies. Is kind of crazy, Dean, by 28, will have his 2nd contract expire and be looking for his 3rd. Wyatt will be 29 when his rookie contract expires.

Reed you hope for a good handful or reps each game, fill in when necessary. But contracts are always a bit telling. If he exceeds that, great! I'll take it. He might even begin the year starting, but I have a feeling the term 'starter' won't mean as much outside of Kenny and probably Dean. Could see Wyatt, Slayton and Reed getting similar snaps this year.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Packers don’t draft a DL in round one and sign Reed if they are thrilled with what they get from dean lowry. I don’t care what info is pulled from stat head. The orgs actions reveal what they think of the player.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
10 May 2022 08:25
Packers don’t draft a DL in round one and sign Reed if they are thrilled with what they get from dean lowry. I don’t care what info is pulled from stat head. The orgs actions reveal what they think of the player.
I'm curious what is revealed about what they think of the 2023 Packers or guys like Keke and Lancaster that are not there anymore. Any black and white conclusions you have made there? Is this only about the Packers not liking Dean Lowry?

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

For once we have depth at the defensive line position.

Don't be doing this talk of liquidating that depth to save $4 million.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
10 May 2022 08:11
Yoop wrote:
10 May 2022 08:01
doesn't seem to register with some fans that Lowery is a decent DT, I've been saying it for several years, I'd happily keep him as the first rotator to except we now have sorta rebuilt the position at a cheaper cost, that makes Dean expendable, I hope we can trade him for some compensation, but it's doubtful because teams know we'll probably cut him and they can sign him for less, we'll save 6 mil. by dumping him.
I don't think he is expendable, I think he will more than likely be our 2nd best defensive lineman this year. If you are competing for a Super Bowl, you don't get better by cutting a starter on D.

Frankly, I'm really excited, like actually genuinely excited, about our DL this year. And not just randomly hopeful on some guys.

I love the ability to give Kenny a few more snaps off a game. With how deep this group is, that should finally be a thing.

Davante Wyatt is old enough where you would hope he will come in an contribute sooner than most rookies. Is kind of crazy, Dean, by 28, will have his 2nd contract expire and be looking for his 3rd. Wyatt will be 29 when his rookie contract expires.

Reed you hope for a good handful or reps each game, fill in when necessary. But contracts are always a bit telling. If he exceeds that, great! I'll take it. He might even begin the year starting, but I have a feeling the term 'starter' won't mean as much outside of Kenny and probably Dean. Could see Wyatt, Slayton and Reed getting similar snaps this year.
I know DT is a tough start for most rookies, But Wyatt imo is the most ready to play DT in this class, so I expect he'll play a lot whether we keep Dean or not, like you I hope we do, but we just added Reed and two rookies, plus Slayton has had a year of on the job training, be interesting to see just how good Wyatt is.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
10 May 2022 08:30
Drj820 wrote:
I'm curious what is revealed about what they think of the 2023 Packers or guys like Keke and Lancaster that are not there anymore. Any black and white conclusions you have made there? Is this only about the Packers not liking Dean Lowry?
Now that you ask, there are a few black and white conclusions that can be drawn from your questions:

they really didn’t like keke. Something must be wrong in his brain as he was a spring cut by the Texans. He’s too talented for that unless something is going on in the head.

They could afford to get rid of Lancaster and replace him with a slayton, reed, and Wyatt due to his contract expiring.

They are more locked into dean because the contract he plays under.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
10 May 2022 08:33

Lowery's contract according to what I read is over 8 mil. if we cut him he'll cost 2 mil dead money, wiping 6 mil. off the books???

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Just because I don’t Think lowery is very good does not mean I want to cut him by the way

I just haven’t put on my green and yellow glasses this week

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
10 May 2022 08:42
Just because I don’t Think lowery is very good does not mean I want to cut him by the way

what about 40 plus pressures, 5 sacks, and 40 plus tackles isn't very good? obviously we want to improve upon that, and we most likely did, however Lowery would be a great 3rd DT, and will still start for a lot of teams, if we cut him he'll be picked up quick.

Lowery has always been better then fans give him credit for imho.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
10 May 2022 08:37
go pak go wrote:
10 May 2022 08:33

Lowery's contract according to what I read is over 8 mil. if we cut him he'll cost 2 mil dead money, wiping 6 mil. off the books???
image.png
image.png (80.94 KiB) Viewed 379 times

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I love how Lupe comes back with this big, long, overarching analysis of the whole offseason

I say unto thee, our benevolent Football God has returned! In His mercy, he has deigned to consider forgiveness for the sins of Gutenkunst. In His wisdom, he has provided us with reason for hope!

Rejoice and be glad! Lupe The Merciful has returned to write His New Testament!

And then the whole thread is just debating the merits of a rotational DT on a middling 2nd contract.

Lowry isn't expensive enough for me to want him cut; nor is he good enough for me to care if he is. I can't summon feelings about Lowry's role on our roster.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
Also telling they chose to keep Dean around at an opportunity cost of $6 million to cut him. And then signed Reed to about 3 million with a few incentives.

Also draft is a horrible example, I mean we drafted Gary with Preston and Z, Jordan when we had Aaron, we drafted Quay with Campbell. As ass backwards as it sounds, drafting a DL in the first should mean this is the best our DL has looked in years. :lol:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
10 May 2022 08:36
They are more locked into dean because the contract he plays under.
Not really at all.

If anything, to the contrary. He actually signed a very low guarantee contract that gave him very little job security.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:

Can't back up irrational things you stated, insult everyone else when challenged on them. Got it. :aok:

Somethings you said you said could be backed up surely, throwing out there we are tied to him because of his contract just isn't very true at all unless there is something I am missing. If I am, please enlighten me.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I was a pretty big Lowry hater going into last season, definitely wanted him gone.

He played very well last year, though. 1-gap defense really suits him better than our last few D systems. His contract isn't that bad and if he keeps up the play from last year, he's worth it.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Lowery has always been pretty good against the run, funny how that can be said for most DT's, the ones that get noticed are the ones that slap the QB around, it's like ILB, the ones that can stop the run play 2 dns, the ones that can cover play 3, in both cases the ones that affect the passing game take top billing because stopping the pass is the most important part, still.

Lowery has had some success as a pass rusher, but not enough consistency over the years and is coming up on a 3rd contract, so we drafted a player or two that can replace him.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
10 May 2022 09:02
Drj820 wrote:

Can't back up irrational things you stated, insult everyone else when challenged on them. Got it. :aok:

Somethings you said you said could be backed up surely, throwing out there we are tied to him because of his contract just isn't very true at all unless there is something I am missing. If I am, please enlighten me.
Haha was just joking about the glasses. No intent to offend.

Lowery is fine, I’m thrilled he’s about to be a rotational guy and not an every down starter.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
09 May 2022 12:48
Carpenter: D
Another pick I wasnt a fan of. If you want a S get a S. If you want a LB get an LB. I dont understand getting a S and moving him to LB where you now have Campbell, Quay, Barnes, and Summers. He did have a really good pro day and has a lot of STs expereince so he could be a core player there but I would prefer getting a player with a real positional upside to develop. Jarrett Bush was an awful CB for years but a STs standout and eventually developed into a serviceable #4 CB.
I think you answered your own question. I don't think they drafted a S to play LB, they drafted a ST guy. I think you and I have argued this before around the value of drafting ST help when you can find it after The Draft, but in a class of 11 picks, I have no problem with allocating a pick here. I did think he had a shot at becoming something if they kept him a S, but clearly the Packers didn't.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
10 May 2022 08:55
I love how Lupe comes back with this big, long, overarching analysis of the whole offseason

I say unto thee, our benevolent Football God has returned! In His mercy, he has deigned to consider forgiveness for the sins of Gutenkunst. In His wisdom, he has provided us with reason for hope!

Rejoice and be glad! Lupe The Merciful has returned to write His New Testament!

And then the whole thread is just debating the merits of a rotational DT on a middling 2nd contract.

Lowry isn't expensive enough for me to want him cut; nor is he good enough for me to care if he is. I can't summon feelings about Lowry's role on our roster.
:idn:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

If Reed was a sure thing to be better than Lowry, he would not have signed a 1 year contract for 3 mil. If he overachieves he will sign with another team after this season because the Packers can't afford him.

That leaves a 2nd year man who looked good last season as a rookie but was not as good as Lowry. And this year's rookie. If they both play well, Lowry will be gone. Unless of course this year's rookie keeps beating up women and spends a few years in prison.

Last year Lowry was the Packers 2nd best Dlineman. He is still worth his salary if this year he is the 3rd best.