Faith Restored?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
10 May 2022 13:18
If Reed was a sure thing to be better than Lowry, he would not have signed a 1 year contract for 3 mil. If he overachieves he will sign with another team after this season because the Packers can't afford him.

That leaves a 2nd year man who looked good last season as a rookie but was not as good as Lowry. And this year's rookie. If they both play well, Lowry will be gone. Unless of course this year's rookie keeps beating up women and spends a few years in prison.

Last year Lowry was the Packers 2nd best Dlineman. He is still worth his salary if this year he is the 3rd best.
never saw that Wyatt beat up a woman, nope, just kicked her door, funny how people turn kicking a door to something much worse.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

TheSkeptic wrote:
That leaves a 2nd year man who looked good last season as a rookie but was not as good as Lowry. And this year's rookie. If they both play well, Lowry will be gone. Unless of course this year's rookie keeps beating up women and spends a few years in prison.
I have yet to see any charge pertaining to Wyatt other than the door kicking incident(s?). There were pre-draft reports of other "domestic violence" incidents but no charges or other proof of malfeasance ever emerged, at least from what I saw.

There is also this:
“In the incidents that he had, he never put his hand on anybody. He never hurt anybody. It was just two or three incidents as a young person he stubbed his toe. We don’t have a lot of tolerance for that, but we wouldn’t have brought here if we didn’t feel good about the person.”

- Packers GM Brian Gutekunst
Have you got anything to back up your "keeps beating up women" statement you care to share?

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yoop wrote:
10 May 2022 08:49
Drj820 wrote:
10 May 2022 08:42
Just because I don’t Think lowery is very good does not mean I want to cut him by the way

I just haven’t put on my green and yellow glasses this week
what about 40 plus pressures, 5 sacks, and 40 plus tackles isn't very good? obviously we want to improve upon that, and we most likely did, however Lowery would be a great 3rd DT, and will still start for a lot of teams, if we cut him he'll be picked up quick.

Lowery has always been better then fans give him credit for imho.
This. Even if he has been inconsistent at times.

We’ve seen how many other DTs come and go. But we always compare Lowry to Clark and other elite DTs. Well, why not compare Lowry to other backup DTs too? Lowry is clearly more than serviceable. If we don’t expect him to play like Pro Bowl caliber, it’s easy enough to see that he deserves a role in the Packer D.

Heck, I’ll go a step further. If our D overall takes another positive step, like many of us say it is, who is to say that we still haven’t seen the best of Lowry? I’m kinda leaning in that direction.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

APB wrote:
11 May 2022 06:57
TheSkeptic wrote:
I have yet to see any charge pertaining to Wyatt other than the door kicking incident(s?). There were pre-draft reports of other "domestic violence" incidents but no charges or other proof of malfeasance ever emerged, at least from what I saw.

There is also this:
“In the incidents that he had, he never put his hand on anybody. He never hurt anybody. It was just two or three incidents as a young person he stubbed his toe. We don’t have a lot of tolerance for that, but we wouldn’t have brought here if we didn’t feel good about the person.”

Have you got anything to back up your "keeps beating up women" statement you care to share?
Yes, there were multiple incidents. And we all know that in a he-said-she-said situation vs a famous college athlete in a college town, someone is going to say not guilty on a 12 person jury. She will take a little money instead from some rich football fan. Things are getting better but it women are still reluctant to press charges or even tell their family. Even when there are black eyes and split lips. I should know, my daughter was beaten for months and her sister and mother both knew but no one told me until years later.

But what is really telling is that he dropped to 28. He should have gone in he 10-15 range if it were not for this character issue. As it was, he was consistently mocked in the teens, some as low as 12-14.
Last edited by TheSkeptic on 12 May 2022 07:00, edited 1 time in total.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The packers have earned the benefit of the doubt in the Wyatt scenario. They ALWAYS seem to pass on character problem guys. They may have passed on one this year in George Pickens.

If he passed the Packers vetting, the issue is of ZERO concern to me until they start drafting far more players who flame out as result of being a turd.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Drj820 wrote:
12 May 2022 06:59
The packers have earned the benefit of the doubt in the Wyatt scenario. They ALWAYS seem to pass on character problem guys. They may have passed on one this year in George Pickens.

If he passed the Packers vetting, the issue is of ZERO concern to me until they start drafting far more players who flame out as result of being a turd.
You mean like Lofton and Chmura?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
12 May 2022 06:54
APB wrote:
11 May 2022 06:57
TheSkeptic wrote:

There is also this:

Yes, there were multiple incidents. And we all know that in a he-said-she-said situation vs a famous college athlete in a college town, someone is going to say not guilty on a 12 person jury. She will take a little money instead from some rich football fan.

But what is really telling is that he dropped to 28. He should have gone in he 10-15 range if it were not for this character issue. As it was, he was consistently mocked in the teens, some as low as 12-14.
only saw one mock with Wyatt in the teens, most had him bottom 1/3rd of round one, or right where we took him, most of the legal stuff was minor, thats why it was dropped, and the 3 incidents where all connected to the same infraction.

you suppose that Wyatt paid this woman he lived with to drop the charges, but there is no evidence supporting that

Although some analysts praised the Packers’ decision to draft Wyatt, others cited a 2020 arrest for three misdemeanor charges — family violence, criminal trespass, and damage to property. According to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s Zachary Hansen, all charges were dropped in June 2020 after prosecutors reviewed the evidence and consulted with the alleged victim. Police arrested Wyatt four months earlier after he allegedly kicked down the door of a woman he lived on and off with at the time.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
12 May 2022 07:12
Drj820 wrote:

and what happened to them? they no longer played for the team, your making a mountain from a mole hill, and both did far worse stuff then Wyatt

Wyatt didn't use violence on a person, was contrite and owned up to his actions, and has been a choir boy ever since, one instance of violent behavior does not classify a person as violent, specially after 2 years of non violence, seriously who amongst us that has lived with a woman hasn't become pissed off enough to kick a freaking door, break a window, or destroy some inanimate object, rather then actually punch hear?

what Wyatt did does not lump him in with the type of people Bart Scott is describing, imo Devonte Wyatt is not a criminal, or a felon, or even necessarily a violent person, yes he kicked a door open, but then what, he had the opportunity to tune her up, but didn't, that changes everything to me, and why the DA dropped the charges

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
12 May 2022 07:43
Wyatt didn't use violence on a person, was contrite and owned up to his actions, and has been a choir boy ever since, one instance of violent behavior does not classify a person as violent, specially after 2 years of non violence
According to Gutekunst it was three doors... non-consecutively. Some might suggest that displays a little more of a problematic pattern. Maybe someday we will be discussing the doors feelings and protections, but for now, yeah, I am willing to overlook this that he was able to stop where he did... each time.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Well if you have to dig back 25 and 40 years to find two examples, I'd argue that probably helps DrJ's point.

Either way, I'd contend both are irrelevant to this current culture. I think you could go back to around 2007 when Murphy took over, the culture in place since it has been has operation has been quite good. Also was good before that, relative to other teams.

So yes, I do agree, Packers earned the benefit of the doubt. They do more than read an article and read 5 tweets. They likely read the police reports, talked with the lawyers, victims, officers on duty, friends, family, Wyatt himself, over a span of the last few years.

We don't know what we don't know, and at this point, yes, the Packers haven't given us much of a reason to doubt them.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
12 May 2022 07:58
Yoop wrote:
12 May 2022 07:43
Wyatt didn't use violence on a person, was contrite and owned up to his actions, and has been a choir boy ever since, one instance of violent behavior does not classify a person as violent, specially after 2 years of non violence
According to Gutekunst it was three doors... non-consecutively. Some might suggest that displays a little more of a problematic pattern. Maybe someday we will be discussing the doors feelings and protections, but for now, yeah, I am willing to overlook this that he was able to stop where he did... each time.
three doors, there is no knowledge available that I've found to substantiate any more then the one incident in feb 2020, 3 charges where filed concerning that incident, ( trespass, damage and domestic violence) so why havn't we heard what those other incidents are, seems as though if he had other altercations they would be separately explained, probably weren't because they didn't amount to any more then a loud argument.

I don't have any issues with us taking Devonte Wyatt, I've read up about his legal issues well before the draft, and they really don't amount to much, certainly don't compare to the players Bart Scott is defending, or Lumping Wyatt with.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
12 May 2022 08:33
TheSkeptic wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Well if you have to dig back 25 and 40 years to find two examples, I'd argue that probably helps DrJ's point.
Hahaha
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

TheSkeptic wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Neither Lofton or Chmura had any known issues that I am aware of before being drafted by the Packers. The fact they got rid of Lofton, one of the best WRs in football actually says a lot for the Packers.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

williewasgreat wrote:
12 May 2022 14:53
TheSkeptic wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Neither Lofton or Chmura had any known issues that I am aware of before being drafted by the Packers. The fact they got rid of Lofton, one of the best WRs in football actually says a lot for the Packers.
And trading Lofton was arguably a gross over-reaction. He was later acquitted of all charges. The only thing he was guilty of is poor judgment in hooking up with a ho while out drinking at a local bar.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
James Lofton, the newly acquired Raider wide receiver, was acquitted of a charge of second-degree sexual assault Friday by a Brown County Circuit Court jury, clearing the way for him to join the team.
The jury of two women and 10 men, chosen from Janesville, a town on the southern border of the state and sequestered here on a defense motion citing prejudicial pre-trial publicity, deliberated less than two hours.

Lofton, facing imprisonment of up to 10 years and fine of up to $10,000, listened to the verdict almost without changing expression. Moments later, he and his wife, Beverly, embraced.

Lofton, then a member of the Packers, had been charged with forcing a 30-year-old housewife, whom he met in a Green Bay bar Dec. 18, 1986, to perform oral sex on him in an adjoining stairwell. Lofton acknowledged the act but maintained that it was consensual. The complainant testified in court Wednesday but made no other appearance.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Not saying Lowry should be cut. This was the best year hes had since before we signed him. Hes been decent but nothing spectacular. If hes the weakest part of your defense you're doing ok.

That said the Packers are strapped for cash. Right now Spotrac has us 14M over the cap (OTC has us 10M under lmao). You can clear $6M by cutting Lowry post June 1st. The team will need money in season for emergency signings.

Another one I keep looking at is Mason. The Packers kept Molson all last year and some said it was just covid related but all reports from some of the top beat writers are that the Packers are very high on him. Then they signed Eberle as well. To carry 3 Ks into camp leads me to believe theyre at least considering moving on from Crosby. It would save us $3.5M after June 1st. I dont think anyone can defend his kickoffs anymore. He just cant get the ball in the endzone anymore. Sometimes its not even close. He still has it on FGs when the LS and holder arent &%$@ the bed but at almost $5M on the cap Im not so sure hes worth it if one of the other two kickers are close.

As for Wyatt and his off the field incidents, I could care less. He never physically hit anyone. He busted down a few doors. Big deal. Will he help us win? I think so.

I hope Gutey learned his lesson with Adams that you really need to get your stars settled before it comes time for them to hit the market. The tag is always there but it gets ugly. Right now you have Alexander and Jenkins in the final years of their deals and honestly I dont know how Alexander isnt holding out. He is severely underpaid with no security. If I was his agent I would be looking to make some noise until Im paid. We need to get these two under terms before the season starts. There needs to be no temptation about hitting FA and going to a more favorable location for more money come the next offseason.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The cap situation will be remedied by extending Alexander.

Adams wasn't extended largely because we couldn't afford it last year which was largely because Rodgers didn't play nice until July. Big reason why Z wasn't extended either.

Of course, we would have lost others had Z and Adams returned.

I don't think Jenkins will get extended until late in season or after the season because his cap will undoubtedly rise with an extension unless we play weird games.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

APB wrote:
13 May 2022 07:04
williewasgreat wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:

And trading Lofton was arguably a gross over-reaction. He was later acquitted of all charges. The only thing he was guilty of is poor judgment in hooking up with a ho while out drinking at a local bar.

James Lofton, the newly acquired Raider wide receiver, was acquitted of a charge of second-degree sexual assault Friday by a Brown County Circuit Court jury, clearing the way for him to join the team.
The jury of two women and 10 men, chosen from Janesville, a town on the southern border of the state and sequestered here on a defense motion citing prejudicial pre-trial publicity, deliberated less than two hours.

Lofton, facing imprisonment of up to 10 years and fine of up to $10,000, listened to the verdict almost without changing expression. Moments later, he and his wife, Beverly, embraced.

Lofton, then a member of the Packers, had been charged with forcing a 30-year-old housewife, whom he met in a Green Bay bar Dec. 18, 1986, to perform oral sex on him in an adjoining stairwell. Lofton acknowledged the act but maintained that it was consensual. The complainant testified in court Wednesday but made no other appearance.
I recall back in those days of seeing Lofton and other players out in local GB note spots partying with women who were not their wives (I guess I am showing my age!).

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pugger wrote:
14 May 2022 11:34
APB wrote:
williewasgreat wrote:

I recall back in those days of seeing Lofton and other players out in local GB note spots partying with women who were not their wives (I guess I am showing my age!).
I have a friend who was drafted and his wife said the NFLPA gathered the significant others and basically warned them, "your husband will be tempted like crazy from roadie women. He will likely cheat on you. Find a way to deal with it.....we are warning you now. Don't cause a problem"

Another friend, the night he got drafted, (it was day 2) just started getting friend request after friend request from women sending nudies instantly.

It's a bizarre world for these men.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
14 May 2022 12:12
Pugger wrote:
APB wrote:

I have a friend who was drafted and his wife said the NFLPA gathered the significant others and basically warned them, "your husband will be tempted like crazy from roadie women. He will likely cheat on you. Find a way to deal with it.....we are warning you now. Don't cause a problem"

Another friend, the night he got drafted, (it was day 2) just started getting friend request after friend request from women sending nudies instantly.

It's a bizarre world for these men.
why would the NFLPA set themselves up for any sort of litigation by making these comments, basically they are saying we will support the actions of these players and you just need to live with it, they'd end up in court faster then you count.

we all know players cheat on there wifes and do far worse then that, but the NFLPA can not even hint that that stuff is alright with them, you shouldn't believe everything your friends say.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pugger wrote:
APB wrote:
williewasgreat wrote:

My Mom worked at the Loop Bar back in the 30's early 40's, when players caused a ruckus, the police gave them a ride home, standard opps back then :lol: