Offseason Coaches' Pressers

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Offseason Coaches' Pressers

Post by YoHoChecko »

I just watched a bunch of the press conferences from earlier this week with the positions coaches and such and wanted a place to discuss them, but crowding the "Packers news" thread didn't seem quite right, as it's not quite news.

So I'm gonna make a bunch of replies with video links here... and then we can do it again in a few weeks when they do more pressers.

To start, here are the coordinators:

OC Stenovich:

ST Bisaccia

DC Barry

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

QB Coach Tom Clements:

This is the second presser I've heard from Clements and not sounding any alarms or anything, but this guy really strikes me as a guy who was talked out of retirement against his better judgments. He just doesn't seem to give af. Obviously, Rodgers just needs a steady hand and trusted voice, and he does say he's working the old "QB School" fundamentals for the young guys, so maybe it'll help Love, but boy, he seems half checked out. Maybe that's just his media persona.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

WR Coach Jason Vrabel:

Ok, like, Vrabel either has the most over-the-top positive coachspeak or our WR room is gonna be pretty right. Love hearing what I'm hearing about Watkins ("still looks like he did in Buffalo"). Great to hear that the three returning youths (Malik Taylor, Winfree, and Amari) are doing all the things right and look like night and day different players--particularly that Amari will look faster, quicker, stronger... and is getting the offense to start to click.

Fascinated to watch this play out. I think we keep 7, and I think Taylor and Winfree are facing the longest of odds, but nice to see we might have real depth in the room.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Other offensive coaches--nothing I personally cared a ton about to comment.

TE Coach John Dunn

RB Coach Ben Sirmans

OL Coach Luke Butkus (worth a watch)

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Defensive Coaches

CB Coach Jerry Gray

DL Coach Jerry Montgomery - people love this guy

EDGE Coach Jason Rebrovich

ILB coach Olivadotti

Safeties coach Downard

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

YoHoChecko wrote:
20 May 2022 17:25
QB Coach Tom Clements:

This is the second presser I've heard from Clements and not sounding any alarms or anything, but this guy really strikes me as a guy who was talked out of retirement against his better judgments. He just doesn't seem to give af. Obviously, Rodgers just needs a steady hand and trusted voice, and he does say he's working the old "QB School" fundamentals for the young guys, so maybe it'll help Love, but boy, he seems half checked out. Maybe that's just his media persona.
I can't remember what his interviews were like before, but if he still seems checked out come August, then I'll worry. ;)
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

PackerNation
Reactions:

Post by PackerNation »

You have zero clue what you are talking about...js

Tom Clements is as cool as they come. He knows how to coach and develop QBs. That is his main focus and job. He couldn't care less what you or the media think of him. He wasn't going to fall their attempts to get him to say it's bad Aaron Rodgers hasn't attended the early part of OTAs. Actually, I have heard Aaron is there right now, and will be for the next 3 days. He did say earlier this year that he would be in Green Bay for "a few days in May, and then for the mini camp."(June 7th-9th) Then he will be there for the start of training camp in July. He missed only a bunch of conditioning work that he now prefers to do in Cali at Pro-Active. Players later in their career know their bodies better than anyone. I trust Aaron to be ready without Gizz needing to be involved.

Some here obviously don't know Tom Clements or his personality. The man is as good of a dude as you will find. This is the cat that Aaron credits for developing him into the QB he is today. Tom will be very good for the development of J- Love. Some of you haters will be surprised when you see J-Love in the preseason after Tom has had his hands on him for a few months.

Tom also spent a year developing Kyler Murray. When Tom left Arizona, Kyler started to decline. Not sure where Kyler is headed now, but he looked like a superstar after Tom had his hands on him.

Stay tuned for the Tom affect on J-Love.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

What an oddly confrontational response to my observation that was prefaced with "not raising any alarms" and ended with "maybe that's just his media persona."

I'm aware of his history and his past accomplishments, but you're right! I don't know him or his personality. He's a guy I've rarely seen speak and never met! So great job sussing that out; I don't know the guy.

I just observed that he seems sorta meh in two media access sessions; and mentioned that he had retired and was convinced to unretire, and figured maybe he's in a weird spot in life. It was speculation, and has no bearing on how much I know about anything, aside from, well, as you mentioned, how much I know Tom Clements or his personality.

PackerNation
Reactions:

Post by PackerNation »

Did you just become a Packers fan yesterday? Tom was here for years. I don't know him personally either, but this is far from only the 2nd presser he has done in Green Bay. I assume you are young if you said this: "He seems like he doesn't give AF."

Tom gives tons of fks. He just doesn't fall for media traps, which is what 90% of the questions in this presser were shooting for. Tom handled it perfectly!

No worries though, not your fault for being ignorant on Tom. You will be singing his praises soon! Mark my words.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

PackerNation wrote:
23 May 2022 18:37
Did you just become a Packers fan yesterday? Tom was here for years. I don't know him personally either, but this is far from only the 2nd presser he has done in Green Bay. I assume you are young if you said this: "He seems like he doesn't give AF."

Tom gives tons of fks. He just doesn't fall for media traps, which is what 90% of the questions in this presser were shooting for. Tom handled it perfectly!

No worries though, not your fault for being ignorant on Tom. You will be singing his praises soon! Mark my words.
Second presser this spring. The first one they asked him why he's out of retirement and he said "because of Aaron," basically.

But yeah, I mean, Belichick is a media grump also and I don't question him (though I actually do know him, so bad example).

Anyway, like I said... oddly confrontational. You don't know anything about me and you made plenty of assumptions as well. And I didn't even give a press conference.

PackerNation
Reactions:

Post by PackerNation »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 May 2022 18:47
Second presser this spring. The first one they asked him why he's out of retirement and he said "because of Aaron," basically.

But yeah, I mean, Belichick is a media grump also and I don't question him (though I actually do know him, so bad example).

Anyway, like I said... oddly confrontational. You don't know anything about me and you made plenty of assumptions as well. And I didn't even give a press conference.
[/quote]

Why so defensive? It's fine that you weren't a full-time Packers fan when Tom was here last. You obviously didn't get to know and experience the high quality individual that he is. Saying: "Seems like he just doesn't give AF" would be the equivalent of some clown coming here and saying the same about Matt LaFleur. It's a clueless statement to actual lifelong Packers fans. I made you aware of it like any good member of PackerNation would do.

It's not me being "confrontational" to give knowledge to you.

I've been bleeding Green And Gold since birth. 50 years of knowledge. Rather than being embarrassed, learn from those that know more than you.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

PackerNation wrote:
24 May 2022 06:42
YoHoChecko wrote:

Why so defensive? It's fine that you weren't a full-time Packers fan when Tom was here last. You obviously didn't get to know and experience the high quality individual that he is. Saying: "Seems like he just doesn't give AF" would be the equivalent of some clown coming here and saying the same about Matt LaFleur. It's a clueless statement to actual lifelong Packers fans. I made you aware of it like any good member of PackerNation would do.

I've been bleeding Green And Gold since birth. 50 years of knowledge. Rather than being embarrassed, learn from those that know more than you.
[/quote]

this is laugh out loud funny :rotf:

you called him out and wonder why he's defensive, you where a AH when you came pre draft acting as though you new wtf you where talking about, turns out you new nothing about the direction of our draft, and just like then your sole purpose is to insult the members here, it's laughable.

McCarthy had just as much influence with the development of Rodgers as Clements did, he doesn't get the credit because Rodgers had a grudge against McCarthy right from the start, and sense you know so much I don't need to explain why, this is just another one of Rodgers power moves, if not for Rodgers desire for control Clements would still be retired, what could Clements possibly teach Rodgers that he doesn't already know, Clements came along for a chance to get a ring, geesh I thought this was a accepted fact, guess you don't know everything.

Imagine that, you think your a more knowledgeable fan then most members here, I wish I had a dime for every troll like you that bounces in and out of this place.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

PackerNation wrote:
24 May 2022 06:42
YoHoChecko wrote:

[/quote]
:roll:

I dunno how this got from Clements giving a low-energy PC after some OTA practices to "I'm better fan than thou", but I hate everything about it.

After watching the PC, yes, Clements wasn't booming with energy, but then he's been to these OTAs a million times, and there's very little of consequence you can say at this point. Funnily his press conference demeanor was how most Finnish athletes handle them: deadpan at best, but the norm is "let's get this over with"... I'll be worried if he isn't having fun with AR and Love in camp. I think he will be.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

salmar80 wrote:
24 May 2022 07:39
I dunno how this got from Clements giving a low-energy PC after some OTA practices to "I'm better fan than thou", but I hate everything about it.

After watching the PC, yes, Clements wasn't booming with energy, but then he's been to these OTAs a million times, and there's very little of consequence you can say at this point. Funnily his press conference demeanor was how most Finnish athletes handle them: deadpan at best, but the norm is "let's get this over with"... I'll be worried if he isn't having fun with AR and Love in camp. I think he will be.
This presser was less a thing than last presser. But again, I don't want to make this more of a thing than it merits (too late). I genuinely don't have much recollection of Clements' media personality.

My spidey senses were activated when he was asked what brought him out of retirement and he said Aaron. I worried that coaching a 17th-year HoF QB might have seemed like a pretty low-impact job and that he wouldn't be as concerned about developing Love or other job duties; basically that he was a symbolic recruiter at QB coach, not someone who is actually dedicated to coaching our QBs.

And then they asked him about Danny Etling this time around and it really felt to me like the subtext of his answer was "yeah, we're doing QB school stuff with him, but I don't pay a lot of attention because he won't be here anyway."

Again, might be his personality. Might be my generalized aversion to old people. Might be that he literally, actually, retired; and to me people who retire are generally people who feel content to walk away--especially when the job was something as exciting as developing a potential next great elite.

It's just a vibe. I could be wrong. I don't care who's been a fan or not. I'm just watching two press conferences and wondering if this is a guy who actually wants to be here or a guy who likes working with Aaron Rodgers and was willing to take the paycheck to give tips and tricks and humble guidance to an established hall of famer one last time.

It's a low stakes question, anyway. For this season, Rodgers' signoff, genuinely, is the top priority of his job and he accomplished that by showing up. But I hope the QB school stuff really is making an impact for Benkert and Love; and I hope Clements already does or grows to enjoy that part of the job again once engaging in it more actively

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

i wouldnt judge his job performance based off a May presser where he got asked a bunch of questions he cant answer freely.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
24 May 2022 10:15
i wouldnt judge his job performance based off a May presser where he got asked a bunch of questions he cant answer freely.
Like how many times do I have to caveat my comments to say it's a vague sense, my alarms aren't going off, but I'm getting somewhat of a vibe... to avoid people's knee-jerk defense of people they don't know? Like I guess I can't type a thought without fully committing to it now? If I find something potentially interesting, I must by nature be insisting something is definitely wrong? I just thought I'd float it that maybe the 68-year old that was lured out of retirement a year after walking away from coaching Kyler Murray and hanging it up for the explicit purpose of appeasing our QB might not be all that interested in his work with Danny Etling. No one else seems concerned; that's fine.

But the whole vibe of this thread is worse than even Tom Clements' vibe in his pressers. People gotta chill. I guess I'm not the only one who ran out of weed around here.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Seriously what is happening right now. :?:

Anyway. All this talk about fandom questioning or knowledge of fanhood....

I have been posting with [mention]YoHoChecko[/mention] for like 15 years. The dude is probably THE most knowledgeable, thoughtful and respectful fan I have ever met.

If there is anyone's word I usually trust...it's his words.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Aww thanks
image.png
image.png (88.71 KiB) Viewed 804 times

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

a bunch of us have been here since JustJeff started this forum, so when some troll like Packer nations pops in spouting about his fan ship most are polite enough to just over look his comments, thing is he's popped in twice, and both times insulted the nucleus of this forum

first if we didn't draft Olave it would be considered a massive fail from the FO, don't think I heard anyone think thats so, in fact Olave was simply not a good fit for what we do.

Now it's this Tom Clements hire, actually Tom needed to be coaxed out of retirement by Rodgers, from what I can find Rodgers was the only one in favor of hiring him, now obviously a wise man like Tom can surely lend idea's, as long as his input doesn't interfer with Lafluers plans

PackerNation
Reactions:

Post by PackerNation »

Drj820 wrote:
24 May 2022 10:15
The problem most had with he said is(And I see you had issue with it also): "It seems Tom Clements just doesn't give AF."

Rather than admitting he was was way off base and didn't follow the Packers closely when Tom was originally in Green Bay, he chooses to cry about someone exposing the fact that he wasn't aware of Tom Clements high standing with Packers players, fans, and coaches, of both past and present. Tom said he is here to win another Lombardi. He has one ring with the Packers already. It is great that his goal is to help this team get another World Championship. Yes, he is close with Aaron. Aaron likes to he coached, believe it or not. And even MVP level QBs like to be pushed a little bit. Aaron misses the way Tom Clements coaches. Luke Getsy never challenged or pushed Aaron. Tom Clements has in the past and will again. Tom of course will challenge and push J-Love as well. All positives here. Nothing negative to see or imply here.

Some get so angry when others have more knowledge and history with the Packers than they do. It's actually really silly.

Just apologize for being way off base with a comment about Tom and move on. All a part of growing up.

Also, at what age do you stop thinking it's cool to SAY you smoke weed? I have zero issue with smoking bud, but never would bring it up in this format. Immaturity is never a good look.