OTA's 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
25 May 2022 06:14
Holy smokes. Jordan Love certainly interviews better.

I remember 2007 training camp for Rodgers was a "turning point". You could see his confidence. Year 3 so far for Love is completely different, at least of in terms of being on front of a microphone.
I think it's natural for a young guy to be a bit over whelmed with first interview, and more composed and confident as he gains knowledge of his craft and job assignments, I bet even a fella such as yourself was a bit tongue tied at first job interview :idn: :rotf:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
25 May 2022 08:08
go pak go wrote:

I remember 2007 training camp for Rodgers was a "turning point". You could see his confidence. Year 3 so far for Love is completely different, at least of in terms of being on front of a microphone.
I think it's natural for a young guy to be a bit over whelmed with first interview, and more composed and confident as he gains knowledge of his craft and job assignments, I bet even a fella such as yourself was a bit tongue tied at first job interview :idn: :rotf:
I still struggle to speak in a meeting. Even prepared, with all the information, when all those jerks are staring at me, the words just do not come out the way I intend. Meetings and job interviews should use phpBB and then I would feel much better.

:lol:

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Interviews were never my problem. Doing the work was. :lol:

But I think there is a significant jump even from year 2 to his interview yesterday. Excited to see him play this August.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
25 May 2022 08:50
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

I still struggle to speak in a meeting. Even prepared, with all the information, when all those jerks are staring at me, the words just do not come out the way I intend. Meetings and job interviews should use phpBB and then I would feel much better.

:lol:
Yeah interviews are easy.

Meeting are a lot harder. Because meetings you are actually trying to get to meat of things and solve problems.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Meetings, we don't need no stinking meetings, all we do is sit around trying to out think each other, it gives me a head ache, and besides, I'am the boss, what I say goes, so if ya have a idea, right it down and I'll consider it, now get to work you lazy bums :rotf:

one of my bosses said that years ago when us employee's wanted a meeting about something, been so long I can't remember what we wanted the meeting for though.

anyway been a tin knocker all my life, but my Mom said I should have become a electrician, since the time I could crawl I liked making sparks fly by sticking stuff into electrical outlets, according to Her I was a natural short circuit technician :rotf:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Sammy off to a great start (eye roll)
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

'Woah. Lot harsher language from MLF today than he has had in the past.
Yoop wrote:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I'm a Watkins skeptic. He's physically identical to Davante Adams, yet has not produced remotely the same. Adams is a guy who put in the work to be the best. I have not seen or heard any similar drive from Watkins, pretty consistently mediocre everywhere he has gone. He strikes me as a slacker. How many different changes of environment do you need to find the right home?

Funny how his best seasons were his first two, arguably the worst situation he was in (Buffalo). It's almost like once he was able to prove he could play in the league, he just stopped trying.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
31 May 2022 16:02

Watkins wasn't there at the last open media access day but the group was told he had been there almost the whole time, just not that day. So if he's not here again today, or hasn't been there since, I'm sure he's communicated it with the team, and everything is fine.

I know it's about the only thing going these days, but the "who is here and who is not" gets way more attention by all parties than the "how're things going with the people who are here" conversations.

MLF's responses were universal, each time he was asked about anyone not being there: "if it were up to me they'd all be here." He's said that every year, most pressers; you'd think they'd stop asking. It's the same quotes. Picking any one person who is/isn't at OTAs the one day per week the media happens to be there, especially on a day when MLF specified that many flights were canceled and a lot of people won't be here today that will be here tomorrow is.... silly?

That's why I like the position coach pressers. The media ask more specific player questions and the coaches give more player-specific answers. When they asked MLF who was here today, he literally answered "I just address the whole team, it's not like I take attendance. We'll see when we get out there."

So literally he didn't yet have the full list of who was and wasn't there and the fist half of the presser was spent asking questions about it. That's why he gave blanket answers and acted annoyed.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
31 May 2022 16:48
Drj820 wrote:
31 May 2022 16:02

Watkins wasn't there at the last open media access day but the group was told he had been there almost the whole time, just not that day. So if he's not here again today, or hasn't been there since, I'm sure he's communicated it with the team, and everything is fine.

I know it's about the only thing going these days, but the "who is here and who is not" gets way more attention by all parties than the "how're things going with the people who are here" conversations.

MLF's responses were universal, each time he was asked about anyone not being there: "if it were up to me they'd all be here." He's said that every year, most pressers; you'd think they'd stop asking. It's the same quotes. Picking any one person who is/isn't at OTAs the one day per week the media happens to be there, especially on a day when MLF specified that many flights were canceled and a lot of people won't be here today that will be here tomorrow is.... silly?

That's why I like the position coach pressers. The media ask more specific player questions and the coaches give more player-specific answers. When they asked MLF who was here today, he literally answered "I just address the whole team, it's not like I take attendance. We'll see when we get out there."

So literally he didn't yet have the full list of who was and wasn't there and the fist half of the presser was spent asking questions about it. That's why he gave blanket answers and acted annoyed.
spin it how you want. The HC sounds like he wants Watkins there...and Watkins is not there.

Whether that is foreshadowing of Watkins time to come as a Packer or not is TBD

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
31 May 2022 17:04
spin it how you want. The HC sounds like he wants Watkins there...and Watkins is not there.

The head coach answered the question about Watkins the same way he answered the question about every single player. This is why I watch the pressers myself. I've seen MLF give that answer dozens of times. It was no different. I promise you it wasn't. You also ignored the part where MLF said that Watkins had been at OTAs almost the whole time prior to last week's open media practice. You also ignored the part where he said there are a lot of people who aren't here who will be tomorrow. He addressed no individual player. He addressed no details. He gave a blanket answer to every question about players who aren't there, and he has given that exact answer for at least two years.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Benkert > Love

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
31 May 2022 18:26
Drj820 wrote:
31 May 2022 17:04

The head coach answered the question about Watkins the same way he answered the question about every single player. This is why I watch the pressers myself. I've seen MLF give that answer dozens of times. It was no different. I promise you it wasn't. You also ignored the part where MLF said that Watkins had been at OTAs almost the whole time prior to last week's open media practice. You also ignored the part where he said there are a lot of people who aren't here who will be tomorrow. He addressed no individual player. He addressed no details. He gave a blanket answer to every question about players who aren't there, and he has given that exact answer for at least two years.
The blanket answer applies to all players who aren’t there. Some don’t need to be there as they are vets in the system or roster locks.

New guy on incentive laden deal not there when he hasn’t played a down for his new team? Not a great look for new journeyman in my opinion.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
31 May 2022 19:02
The blanket answer applies to all players who aren’t there. Some don’t need to be there as they are vets in the system or roster locks.

New guy on incentive laden deal not there when he hasn’t played a down for his new team? Not a great look for new journeyman in my opinion.
As you said, you can spin it however you want. But recognize you're the one spinning it. The commentary from the coach lent itself to no narrative. You wrote one and applied it to MLF. Others may do the same. Like I said, that's why I watch this stuff myself.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Let's just keep in mind that the media only takes attendance one day per week, and instead of singling guys out, there's this:
“Our guys have done a really good job of letting us know when something comes up or they can’t make it. Apparently, it was pretty challenging getting into Green Bay last night. A lot of flights getting cancelled all across the country. So, we’re missing a couple guys that we had anticipated being here.”

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
31 May 2022 19:21
Drj820 wrote:
31 May 2022 19:02

As you said, you can spin it however you want. But recognize you're the one spinning it. The commentary from the coach lent itself to no narrative. You wrote one and applied it to MLF. Others may do the same. Like I said, that's why I watch this stuff myself.
Coach expresses explicit displeasure that guys aren’t there and I’m the one spinning it by saying sounds like it would be best for first round journeyman to be there?

Call a spade a spade

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Coach answered a redundant question the same exact way he's answered it for years, seems frustrated, sure, but maybe because the first three questions were about individuals who weren't there and he had to keep giving the same answer, finally extrapolated by talking about how maybe covid has affected OTA mentalities....

...and you apply it to an individual absent from practice on a day that attendance was explicitly stated not to include a bunch of guys who intended to be there due to travel issues.

And it's May.

So yeah, like I said, you're spinning nothing into something. You're welcome to your opinion, but MLF has said "if it was up to me, we'd have everyone here" like a gazillion times.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Shawn Davis S #3 right now huh?
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
31 May 2022 19:40
Coach answered a redundant question the same exact way he's answered it for years, seems frustrated, sure, but maybe because the first three questions were about individuals who weren't there and he had to keep giving the same answer, finally extrapolated by talking about how maybe covid has affected OTA mentalities....

...and you apply it to an individual absent from practice on a day that attendance was explicitly stated not to include a bunch of guys who intended to be there due to travel issues.

And it's May.

So yeah, like I said, you're spinning nothing into something. You're welcome to your opinion, but MLF has said "if it was up to me, we'd have everyone here" like a gazillion times.
If I’m a league journeymen on a new team with a chance to be a teams top contributor and my New HC says he wishes I was there and issues a threat for guys that aren’t there the following week...I would show up and recomend others in my position to show up too.