OTA's 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
31 May 2022 19:55
If I’m a league journeymen on a new team with a chance to be a teams top contributor and my New HC says he wishes I was there and issues a threat for guys that aren’t there the following week...I would show up and recomend others in my position to show up too.
I'm having two disconnects with you here.

The first disconnect is that you are assuming that Watkins never showed up last week, which we don't know to be true, aside from the word "still" in Ryan Woods' tweet. And you're assuming that his absence today was planned and intentional and that he is not one of the guys who had a travel issue. You're ignoring that the last time MLF was asked about Sammy Watkins, he said "Sammy's done a nice job. He's been here for the most part; he's not here today, but he's been here throughout the majority of this offseason."

So we have three data points:
1) MLF says "he's been here throughout the majority of the offseason (5 days earlier, Vrabel also said he was here doing all the workouts and conditioning and in the building, so you could even count that as an additional data point, but it seems to cover the same time period as MLF's statement).
2) He was not there on media availability day last week.
3) He was not here on the first day back from MDW this week.

So the first disconnect is that you seem to be making a lot of assumptions about Watkins' broader attendance record that I am not making.

Our second disconnect is that MLF is giving the same answer in every circumstance regarding voluntary offseason attendance. When someone gives the same answer in any circumstance, it is logically unsound to apply that statement to a specific circumstance at that moment.
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 31 May 2022 20:20, edited 1 time in total.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
31 May 2022 19:45
Shawn Davis S #3 right now huh?
I feel better about this having learned recently that he was a 5th round pick a couple years ago with really good jumps (no other workout data).

But yeah, ya know, Chris Harris Jr..... yada yada

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
31 May 2022 20:11
Drj820 wrote:
31 May 2022 19:55
If I’m a league journeymen on a new team with a chance to be a teams top contributor and my New HC says he wishes I was there and issues a threat for guys that aren’t there the following week...I would show up and recomend others in my position to show up too.
I'm having two disconnects with you here.

The first disconnect is that you are assuming that Watkins never showed up last week, which we don't know to be true, aside from the word "still" in Ryan Woods' tweet. And you're assuming that his absence today was planned and intentional and that he is not one of the guys who had a travel issue. You're ignoring that the last time MLF was asked about Sammy Watkins, he said "Sammy's done a nice job. He's been here for the most part; he's not here today, but he's been here throughout the majority of this offseason."

So we have three data points:
1) MLF says "he's been here throughout the majority of the offseason (5 days earlier, Vrabel also said he was here doing all the workouts and conditioning and in the building, so you could even count that as an additional data point, but it seems to cover the same time period as MLF's statement).
2) He was not there on media availability day last week.
3) He was not here on the first day back from MDW this week.

So the first disconnect is that you seem to be making a lot of assumptions about Watkins' broader attendance record that I am not making.

Our second disconnect is that MLF is giving the same answer in every circumstance regarding voluntary offseason attendance. When someone gives the same answer in any circumstance, it is logically unsound to apply that statement to a specific circumstance at that moment.
My disconnect with you is that the tweet does say “still” not at practice, and Coach indicated he isnt happy guys aren’t there. If I was a new guy I would want to make the coach happy!

Simple concept. Does it mean he’s going to get cut?? No.

Is it a foreshadow of how seriously he takes his new job in GB? Possibly.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Watkins not being there is small potatoes compared to who else isn't.

David Bakhtiari. We see Tonyan, Hill and Jenkins working on rehab and running around looking good.

But Bakh is NOT back. And MLF said something about "hoping" that he would be ready for training camp. WTF? 9 months longer than the other 3 and he still can't be there for non-contact practice???

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
01 Jun 2022 04:08
Watkins not being there is small potatoes compared to who else isn't.

David Bakhtiari. We see Tonyan, Hill and Jenkins working on rehab and running around looking good.

But Bakh is NOT back. And MLF said something about "hoping" that he would be ready for training camp. WTF? 9 months longer than the other 3 and he still can't be there for non-contact practice???
unless your installing a new offensive scheme then why worry if a vet isn't around, why have a tackle go through the motions he knows by heart, I can understand some of the angst with Watkins and new players, they stand the most to gain from OTA's, even so, WAtkins has been in GB a lot so he probably knows the play book anyway.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

When a team wants to win a Súper bowl at all costs, their leaders come to OTAs

When a team is content to get paid, win a division, and get booted in the NFCCG or division round, their leaders practice golf in June, and don’t show up until it’s mandatory.

Just don’t act surprised come January!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
01 Jun 2022 07:39

When a team is content to get paid, win a division, and get booted in the NFCCG or division round, their leaders practice golf in June, and don’t show up until it’s mandatory.

thats bull crap and you know it, why don't ya look around the league, I bet a lot of teams veteran players skip OTA's, again it's diff. if your installing new schemes, which we are not, and any new wrinkles can be picked up in TC.

I think your upset because you want some sort of proof that everyone is healthy etc. that we didn't pay out bigly for a LT that may never play again, what actual good would come from knowledge like that now versus August, seriously are you just looking for something to complain about?

also you can be assured of one thing, these ota's will have nothing to do with us winning or losing a SB, your attempting to make a mountain out of a mole hill, cripes you act as though our players never come to Lambeau to work out in the off season, Watkins has been in town for over a month

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

The entirety of the 2021 Rams opted out of voluntary OTAs and minicamps.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yoop wrote:
01 Jun 2022 08:40
Drj820 wrote:

thats bull crap and you know it, why don't ya look around the league, I bet a lot of teams veteran players skip OTA's, again it's diff. if your installing new schemes, which we are not, and any new wrinkles can be picked up in TC.

I think your upset because you want some sort of proof that everyone is healthy etc. that we didn't pay out bigly for a LT that may never play again, what actual good would come from knowledge like that now versus August, seriously are you just looking for something to complain about?

also you can be assured of one thing, these ota's will have nothing to do with us winning or losing a SB, your attempting to make a mountain out of a mole hill, cripes you act as though our players never come to Lambeau to work out in the off season, Watkins has been in town for over a month
I would hate to have our vets at OTAs. They'd take snaps away from young ones who do have to learn the playbook and work on basic things.

And the vets would benefit from it about as much as a Master of Spanish would from being forced to attend a beginner's Spanish course. Nada.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

I get holding Bak out of OTA's 1000%, BUT...if we get closer to Training Camp and we hear words like "hope" or "progressing", then I think it's time to at least consider the possibility that Bak will not suit up this year and that something is majorly wrong with that knee. Hopefully a non-story though.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

salmar80 wrote:
01 Jun 2022 09:29
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

I would hate to have our vets at OTAs. They'd take snaps away from young ones who do have to learn the playbook and work on basic things.

And the vets would benefit from it about as much as a Master of Spanish would from being forced to attend a beginner's Spanish course. Nada.
Just be there. Help the younger players. Do your rehab there. Be a teammate. If Tonyan, Hill and Jenkins ca be there doing their rehab, why can't Bakh? Those 3 are not taking snaps away from the young ones. Jenkins is a seasoned veteran now, if he can show up why can't Bakh?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Bakh has been there. The coaches talk about how great he is in the meeting rooms with these guys.

This is an issue if limited information. We know who is/isn’t there one day per week based on reporter observation in the outdoor practice field.

We know that this is how they gather attendance based on their numerous tweets about who they see/don’t see, and based on their numerous press conference questions in which they inquire as to who is/isn’t there. They aren’t handed a list. They don’t seem to have background info from off camera interviews or sources. They are simply observing the field one day per week, and reporting what they observe.

Then the fans think that’s the whole story. If you’re not outside that one day, you’re “not there” at all. But Jason Vrabel has praised the maturity and dedication of Watkins and his attitude in the building. Luke Butkus has praised Bakh‘s impact as a leader in the OLine room.

There’s obviously more to the attendance story than we can simply observe on the practice field once a week.

So on one hand there’s the disagreement over how much it matters if certain players attend. On the other hand there’s the truth that we barely have any idea who is at the facility and who is not. So we’re arguing over bad information. For me, that’s the main issue. We’re kvetching over things that might not even be the case.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootbal ... -year/amp/

I think you are getting some bad information Skeptic.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I'm not worried about Bakh. If the org had reason to believe he might not be good to go, then I think they would have signed or drafted a LT for insurance, and we of course had more than enough draft capital to get a really good one. Yet, we didn't do either of those things -- not even a guy for depth behind Nijman.

He just needs to let his damn knee heal, not rush back like last time, which is also why he should probably stay with the rehab group for now.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

TheSkeptic wrote:
01 Jun 2022 09:55
salmar80 wrote:
01 Jun 2022 09:29
Yoop wrote:

Just be there. Help the younger players. Do your rehab there. Be a teammate. If Tonyan, Hill and Jenkins ca be there doing their rehab, why can't Bakh? Those 3 are not taking snaps away from the young ones. Jenkins is a seasoned veteran now, if he can show up why can't Bakh?
There are no fan cams for Bak to show off his beer guzzling skills at OTAs. Has he been spotted at Brewer games?

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Hopefully this year Bahk can be working with the young guys/rehabbing/watching game film as opposed to popping wheelies and riding around on golf karts with 12

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
01 Jun 2022 14:15
Hopefully this year Bahk can be working with the young guys/rehabbing/watching game film as opposed to popping wheelies and riding around on golf karts with 12
we have coaches to coach and we have players assigned golf cart duty :lol:

If Bahk can't play when the season starts then I'll complain, till then it's a waste of hot air

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

I’m not worried about Watkins. He’s a pro and he’ll show up.

I am worried about Bahk. It’s not like they’re in pads going full contact. At this stage he should be able to participate in some of these drills.

There is a reason why they keep waiting. He must still be having issues. That’s the only reason you’d need to “play it safe”.
Love is the answer…

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Foosball wrote:
01 Jun 2022 20:31
I’m not worried about Watkins. He’s a pro and he’ll show up.

I am worried about Bahk. It’s not like they’re in pads going full contact. At this stage he should be able to participate in some of these drills.

There is a reason why they keep waiting. He must still be having issues. That’s the only reason you’d need to “play it safe”.
Obvious to everyone not in denial

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

“We just thought that, yeah, this is a guy that’s played a lot of ball and it’s best to hold him from this portion of it,” LaFleur said.