Green Bay Packers News 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Good grief we need training camp around here

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

BF004 wrote:
24 Jul 2022 10:32
Brady has 12 playoff losses, what a bum.

Peyton Manning had 13. Joker.
You are leaving out superbowl appearances compared to Rodgers. But I get it. Having Favre and Rodgers back to back is beyond lucky as a fan. Brady 10. Manning 4. Rodgers 1. Tough to swallow.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

This may be old news to others, but nagler said in his live stream about Bahk that Bahk told him last year that he had his knee drained over 15 times during last season.

I knew the issue was fluid build up, but I had not heard that 15x number. That is awful
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Jul 2022 13:19
This may be old news to others, but nagler said in his live stream about Bahk that Bahk told him last year that he had his knee drained over 15 times during last season.

I knew the issue was fluid build up, but I had not heard that 15x number. That is awful
As long as he is ready for the playoffs I am not concerned. Lol. I hope Jaire doesn't meet the same fate with his non surgically repaired shoulder. Giant contracts are scary.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

So is this right? We paid Bahk in season in Nov and he smokes his knee two months later?

Further, is this right? Doesnt GB usually have a think where non QBs don’t get 3rd contracts with any guaranteed money after year one??

Point being, did we break norm for bahk? Or should cutting Bahk be a thought?

This deal has the potential to be one of the worst resignings in Packer history.

Not saying we shouldn’t have resigned him, just wondering if we broke norms to do it.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Jul 2022 18:23
So is this right? We paid Bahk in season in Nov and he smokes his knee two months later?

Further, is this right? Doesnt GB usually have a think where non QBs don’t get 3rd contracts with any guaranteed money after year one??

This deal has the potential to be one of the worst resignings in Packer history.

Not saying we shouldn’t have resigned him, just wondering if we broke norms to do it.
3rd contracts, in general, breaks Packers norms. So unfortunate but sure looking like a cautionary tale.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Realist wrote:
24 Jul 2022 12:46
BF004 wrote:

You are leaving out superbowl appearances compared to Rodgers. But I get it. Having Favre and Rodgers back to back is beyond lucky as a fan. Brady 10. Manning 4. Rodgers 1. Tough to swallow.
I have kind of often wondered this, how would we view Aaron’s career differently if we went to more Super Bowls and we lost them. 1 loss, 2 losses, 3 losses? Would it just be more ‘unclutch’ in big games, more able to get there, but not close. Maybe just more neutral and positive. I don’t know. Large sect of fans always overly supportive and large sect overly pessimistic.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
24 Jul 2022 20:02
Realist wrote:
BF004 wrote:

I have kind of often wondered this, how would we view Aaron’s career differently if we went to more Super Bowls and we lost them. 1 loss, 2 losses, 3 losses? Would it just be more ‘unclutch’ in big games, more able to get there, but not close. Maybe just more neutral and positive. I don’t know. Large sect of fans always overly supportive and large sect overly pessimistic.

It would undoubtedly be better than being known for losing in the NFCCG. And he would be insulated from some of the hate of losing in the super bowl because he did already win one.

The reputation of choking (fair or unfair) in the NFCCG is league wide with packers haters and much worse than defeating the entire NFC and then losing, (once you already have one ring)

Sure some would hate because sports fans are haters, but it’s better to get there and lose than throw up stinkers in the NFCCG.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Jul 2022 20:05
BF004 wrote:
Realist wrote:

It would undoubtedly be better than being known for losing in the NFCCG. And he would be insulated from some of the hate of losing in the super bowl because he did already win one.

The reputation of choking (fair or unfair) in the NFCCG is league wide with packers haters and much worse than defeating the entire NFC and then losing, (once you already have one ring)

Sure some would hate because sports fans are haters, but it’s better to get there and lose than throw up stinkers in the NFCCG.
I think the negative nellies would've switched to "Super Bowl WINS is all that matters". You know, "Lombardi would never have settled for silver"..."chokes on the biggest stage"...."nobody remembers NFC champions"... That sorta things.

I became a Packers fan in 1997, and let's just say I don't remember anyone going "well, at least we made it to the SB!". In fact, losing a SB can feel more like "we were SO close, that one player away..."

Let's be honest, more SB wins is the only thing missing from Rodger's resume. I think the portion of fans who now talk about failing at NFCCGs would not be satisfied with anything less than more of these:
:lombardi:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

salmar80 wrote:
24 Jul 2022 20:15
Drj820 wrote:
24 Jul 2022 20:05
BF004 wrote:

I think the negative nellies would've switched to "Super Bowl WINS is all that matters". You know, "Lombardi would never have settled for silver"..."chokes on the biggest stage"...."nobody remembers NFC champions"... That sorta things.

I became a Packers fan in 1997, and let's just say I don't remember anyone going "well, at least we made it to the SB!". In fact, losing a SB can feel more like "we were SO close, that one player away..."

Let's be honest, more SB wins is the only thing missing from Rodger's resume. I think the portion of fans who now talk about failing at NFCCGs would not be satisfied with anything less than more of these:
:lombardi:
I actually think Favre gets credit for going to more Super Bowls than Rodgers. I hear people say “went to two, won one and lost one”. For Rodgers I just hear “won one early in his career and never went back”

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

There is really just so much variability and randomness, kind of hate when people don’t recognize that. We weren’t the best team in the league in 2010. Aaron didn’t play good enough in the NFC Championship game to beat the Bears, yet we win the Super Bowl.

Aaron played out of his mind in the playoffs in ‘09 and ‘16 and we don’t have a good enough team around him. If Aaron hits Jennings on that deep post right before the face mask fumble at AZ, that’s maybe a top 3 QB performance in nfl playoff history.

We were, in my opinion, the best teams in football in ‘14, ‘20 and ‘21 (not including ‘11) and we simply couldn’t get it done. Frankly Aaron played sub par, not bad, in all 3 of those exits. Better in any of those losses than he played against the Bears.

Aaron has been good enough, our team has been good enough, many times over. Just never all clicked at the right time other than once, which was frankly maybe out 6th best chance over his tenure.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

NCF wrote:
24 Jul 2022 18:37
Drj820 wrote:
24 Jul 2022 18:23

3rd contracts, in general, breaks Packers norms. So unfortunate but sure looking like a cautionary tale.
Gutey kinda broke the mold, but it's not so simple.

The TT formula that Gutey also followed until going in an "AR's twilight all-in mode" was to usually not give 3rd contracts, and no one except for the QB got a deal with more than 35% of contract value guaranteed. We gave those guarantees as a signing bonus, sometimes year 1 and 2 roster bonuses.

Because of how signing bonus proration works, even under TT's formula, any huge contract was essentially guaranteed for the first 2 year. But no more than that. Usually every player except AR was "cuttable" in cap terms after year 2.

Even under TT, we would've been screwed for 2 years if a star had gotten injured immediately after signing their deal. That can't be helped.

With Bak, Gutey broke the mold by guaranteeing a bigger portion of the contract (57%) to push more cap charges to the last years of it. Kenny Clark also got half of his deal guaranteed in a similar move. Folks wanted an all-in push for Super Bowls in AR's last seasons with us, and the structure of these deals was one way Gutey tried to do it.

The problem with Bak's structure is that if he's toast, he's uncuttable this year (and we kinda can't let him retire), and even cutting him in 2023 would only save 6M cap space with 23M dead cap hit. He's only easily cuttable (in cap sense) in the last year of the deal.

I personally think the thing to be learned is to avoid massive guarantees if you sign a guy to a big 3rd contract.

My thinking is that if you're gonna give 3rd contracts, OL are the ones to do it with. They usually can play at or near their prime well into their 30s. Bak was scheduled to be 33 years old at end of the extension, not 40. So I have no problem with giving him the extension. The injury was just an hammer stroke of ill luck at a terrible time.

----

Bonus: If you want to see a truly stupid deal, look at what the Texans gave Randall Cobb in 2020. 27M with 18M guaranteed (67%) to a 30-year old never super speedy slot WR. :shock: :roll: :messedup:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

In tonight's Packers news, area man receives clothing by mail:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

salmar80 wrote:
24 Jul 2022 21:36
In tonight's Packers news, area man receives clothing by mail:

For those that collect such things ............. Leroy Butler's HOF helmet is out there for purchase

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Just saw a video of a cop at Lambeau who didn’t know who Dillon was when two security guards told me he could go down and lambeau leap as the fans were begging him to (per dillons tweet). This asshat cop must have missed the memo and grabs him and then Dillon explains the deal and he straight shoves him from behind like Dillon is some worthless subhuman trash.

Dillon shook it off and isnt making it a big deal, but I’m sort of triggered by the video. There was no reason to push Dillon. Screw that cop. Seemed like he didn’t believe the African American man to me so he gave him a good push.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Jul 2022 22:38
Just saw a video of a cop at Lambeau who didn’t know who Dillon was when two security guards told me he could go down and lambeau leap as the fans were begging him to (per dillons tweet). This asshat cop must have missed the memo and grabs him and then Dillon explains the deal and he straight shoves him from behind like Dillon is some worthless subhuman trash.

Dillon shook it off and isnt making it a big deal, but I’m sort of triggered by the video. There was no reason to push Dillon. Screw that cop. Seemed like he didn’t believe the African American man to me so he gave him a good push.

Eh, nothing there, imo. Not trigger worthy in my book.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
24 Jul 2022 22:42
Drj820 wrote:
24 Jul 2022 22:38

Eh, nothing there, imo. Not trigger worthy in my book.

I didn’t like that final shove. Felt like an escaloatory move that Dillon just took like a champ. I felt he didn’t deserve that.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Jul 2022 22:57
I didn’t like that final shove. Felt like an escaloatory move that Dillon just took like a champ. I felt he didn’t deserve that.
Yeah, that shove was unnecessary, could do no conceivable good and coulda escalated things. Had it been a Packer with a more fiery temperament, it coulda been a real scene...

As is, no great harm done, and the cop got hit right in the face by a rather full cup of beer, so some instant Lambeau justice served.

If AJ ain't mad, I ain't getting too mad.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

salmar80 wrote:
24 Jul 2022 23:16
Drj820 wrote:
24 Jul 2022 22:57
Yeah, that shove was unnecessary, could do no conceivable good and coulda escalated things. Had it been a Packer with a more fiery temperament, it coulda been a real scene...

As is, no great harm done, and the cop got hit right in the face by a rather full cup of beer, so some instant Lambeau justice served.

If AJ ain't mad, I ain't getting too mad.

I did enjoy that lambeau justice, and I know Dillon is taking it in stride. He’s just a great dude. That’s why I think I am a bit triggered though. Dillon didn’t deserve that.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Dillon is definitely taking the high road, that is who he is. The cop was a POS on a power trip. I will leave it there as this is the football forum.