Training Camp 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
01 Aug 2022 17:56
I am planning to take off of work on Thursday to attend Training Camp on August 4th. Anyone I should meet up with from this fantastic forum?

Does Bogey work on Training Camp days?

GO PACK GO !!
I might be able to tag along, I put it on my work calendar, I should know later in the week if I can actually get out.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
01 Aug 2022 17:22

My concerns with this team fall almost entirely on OL depth and health, and edge/secondary depth.

Those are our only holes in my view. WR has some experience questions, but tons of capable players. The cream will rise to the top. I’m not worried about it.
My god, it was day one with pads. And we had a top 10 defense last year and added Jaire Alexander, Quay Walker, Davonte Wyatt, and Jarran Reed to it without losing anyone but Chandon Sullivan.

I'm not remotely concerned about anything at this juncture, particularly at the positions we knew to expect competition where different guys are rotating every day (WR and OL)

;) ;) 8-) 8-)
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
01 Aug 2022 16:10
I don’t take anything as gospel that I see or hear of in camp practices. Every year there are Camp stars that do nothing once the season rolls around. I continue to think the offense is extremely thin at tackle, has one of the leagues best QBs, has one of the leagues best RB units, and has a bottom 5 WR unit.
Yeah. I’m actually pretty stoked on the WR room, but it would be difficult for me not to be given that my plan to fix the room was to sign Sammy Watkins and draft Christian Watson and a couple mid round guys and that’s what we did. Plus Doubs is proving mature beyond his experience.

My concerns with this team fall almost entirely on OL depth and health, and edge/secondary depth.

Those are our only holes in my view. WR has some experience questions, but tons of capable players. The cream will rise to the top. I’m not worried about it.
I'm not worried about our WR room either. I honestly never was and am feeling even better after hearing the swag of Doubs.

It's the Oline for me. If we don't have our two highest graded players, I get concerned what this Oline. Runyan is awesome but everyone else I think was overstated in performance based on expectations rather than actual performance.

This defense looks really freaking good though. The defensive line sounds to be ridiculous which is allowing our ILBs to make plays and our secondary is just glue.

I think we could be seeing a 17 point average per game type season this year from the defense.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

BF004 wrote:
01 Aug 2022 19:10
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
01 Aug 2022 17:56
I am planning to take off of work on Thursday to attend Training Camp on August 4th. Anyone I should meet up with from this fantastic forum?

Does Bogey work on Training Camp days?

GO PACK GO !!
I might be able to tag along, I put it on my work calendar, I should know later in the week if I can actually get out.
Just let me know. I should be able to access this forum on Thursday morning via my cell phone to identify a meeting place near Nitschke Field. I'll be easy to spot ....... older white male, no hat, wearing a Packers shirt. :thwap:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
01 Aug 2022 20:44
YoHoChecko wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
01 Aug 2022 16:10
I don’t take anything as gospel that I see or hear of in camp practices. Every year there are Camp stars that do nothing once the season rolls around. I continue to think the offense is extremely thin at tackle, has one of the leagues best QBs, has one of the leagues best RB units, and has a bottom 5 WR unit.
Yeah. I’m actually pretty stoked on the WR room, but it would be difficult for me not to be given that my plan to fix the room was to sign Sammy Watkins and draft Christian Watson and a couple mid round guys and that’s what we did. Plus Doubs is proving mature beyond his experience.

I'm not worried about our WR room either. I honestly never was and am feeling even better after hearing the swag of Doubs.

It's the Oline for me. If we don't have our two highest graded players, I get concerned what this Oline. Runyan is awesome but everyone else I think was overstated in performance based on expectations rather than actual performance.

This defense looks really freaking good though. The defensive line sounds to be ridiculous which is allowing our ILBs to make plays and our secondary is just glue.

I think we could be seeing a 17 point average per game type season this year from the defense.
Although it is possible neither Bakh nor Jenkins starts on day 1, it is also possible both do. It is probable 1 does. There is nothing wrong with the Oline if both start, in fact it will be one of the best in the NFL.

I also think that you are massively underestimating Myers. He was a rookie last year and he missed the middle of the season with an injury. He is huge for a center and he is plenty quick enough. He does not make mistakes. The only problem was that he was a rookie. Problem fixed.

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

My concerns are minor and have more to do with coaching. We lost Hackett and replaced him with our OL coach, Stenavich. Butkis became the OL coach. I believe Stenavich was a great OL coach and his loss will be felt. Last season we were digging deep on the roster to get players on the OL and they all seemed ready and able. Will Stenavich be able to handle the OC level? I don't think his background is what I would typically expect. But then again, MLF will have a large hand in working with the offense. The scheme itself is OL friendly. The fakes, motions, and just unpredictability slows defenses slightly.

But i trust MLF and the staffing moves he made. I believe we won't miss Hackett and we are in for a great season.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheSkeptic wrote:
02 Aug 2022 02:58
go pak go wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

Although it is possible neither Bakh nor Jenkins starts on day 1, it is also possible both do. It is probable 1 does. There is nothing wrong with the Oline if both start, in fact it will be one of the best in the NFL.

I also think that you are massively underestimating Myers. He was a rookie last year and he missed the middle of the season with an injury. He is huge for a center and he is plenty quick enough. He does not make mistakes. The only problem was that he was a rookie. Problem fixed.
I would be very surprised if either Bakh or Jenkins starts Week 1. Pleasantly surprised but surprised nonetheless. I am of the background of ACL's take time and it is best to let them fully heal before pushing it too early.

As for Meyers, I am definitely in a "wait and see" mode. Football fans in general are very, very forgiving to players with an "he is young" excuse. We are very much about potential and use this potential to forgive immediate shortcomings. My classic examples are Marshal Newhouse and Don Barclay. Both were fan favorites early....until we realized their play just sucked and stop forgiving their crappy play.

Make no mistake, there was a significant drop-off from center play from 2020 to 2021. And I also don't think there was a significant drop in play on the Packers overall when Meyers wasn't in the game.

It is pretty well documented how I am a huge believer in all Packers players. But also try to say it how I see it. The potential is there, but we haven't seen it yet. Hopefully we see that 2nd year jump.

The Oline has potential to be a top unit in the league. But it also has a likelihood of really struggling.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I think the WR room is currently a mess and can grow into adequate. I think it’s going to be rough for about half the season, but the NFCN is bad enough that we can still win the division. I could see the young boys and the rookies coming into their own mid year and the group being fine by playoff time. But I expect growing pains.

I don’t trust Sammy’s health. I don’t trust Cobbs health. I don’t think Amari is very good. Watson sounds like he just had a knee surgery. And doubes is a hyped up 7th rounder. I guess I can have some faith in the guys by the end of the year that I expect to be healthy?
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
02 Aug 2022 07:25
TheSkeptic wrote:
go pak go wrote:

I would be very surprised if either Bakh or Jenkins starts Week 1. Pleasantly surprised but surprised nonetheless. I am of the background of ACL's take time and it is best to let them fully heal before pushing it too early.

As for Meyers, I am definitely in a "wait and see" mode. Football fans in general are very, very forgiving to players with an "he is young" excuse. We are very much about potential and use this potential to forgive immediate shortcomings. My classic examples are Marshal Newhouse and Don Barclay. Both were fan favorites early....until we realized their play just sucked and stop forgiving their crappy play.

Make no mistake, there was a significant drop-off from center play from 2020 to 2021. And I also don't think there was a significant drop in play on the Packers overall when Meyers wasn't in the game.

It is pretty well documented how I am a huge believer in all Packers players. But also try to say it how I see it. The potential is there, but we haven't seen it yet. Hopefully we see that 2nd year jump.

The Oline has potential to be a top unit in the league. But it also has a likelihood of really struggling.
It's pretty well documented???? why do people always feel the need to to add qualifiers to there comments, it's not as though anyone here wouldn't already know your stance concerning most things :idn:

the best center in the draft was taken a few slots after Myers, at least according to his rookie campaign, so we'll have to wait and see how Myers does.

unless a person pays particular attention to O lineman and even then it's really hard to predict how well they'll pan out, we hope, we guess they'll be good, who here saw Bahktiari coming, or Jenkins, etc. it often takes OL a year or two to show just how good they are, and we think they suck prior, nature of the beast.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Actually excited to see these units play this year. Sometimes a little !@#$ and vinegar goes a long way.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Aaron always talks about how each group has to learn how to win each year, this should definitely be the most different in a while.

If our D does we think it could do, should do, we should really be in every game at minimum.

Offense gotta be a patient lot, runs, schematic plays, low turnovers, efficient offense. Probably not gunna be as many big plays. Maybe the occasional play action backside drag post plays, but probably less shots up the sideline just trusting your WR to win.

So much gunna depend on the OL and how that shakes out and how healthy they are. I mean Bak + Elgton is probably >> Adams and MVS.

But either way, just be in the game, the only difference will be our QB is Aaron Rodgers and theirs isnt.

I feel like we already kind of know what the WR's will be, a limited group, going to rely on Aaron to LaFleur to lift them up and make them efficient, but all of that, how much they can do, really going to rely on the OL.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
02 Aug 2022 08:05
go pak go wrote:
02 Aug 2022 07:25
TheSkeptic wrote:

It's pretty well documented???? why do people always feel the need to to add qualifiers to there comments, it's not as though anyone here wouldn't already know your stance concerning most things :idn:

the best center in the draft was taken a few slots after Myers, at least according to his rookie campaign, so we'll have to wait and see how Myers does.

unless a person pays particular attention to O lineman and even then it's really hard to predict how well they'll pan out, we hope, we guess they'll be good, who here saw Bahktiari coming, or Jenkins, etc. it often takes OL a year or two to show just how good they are, and we think they suck prior, nature of the beast.
Creed Humphrey was taken immediately after Meyers. And yes, the Meyers draft pick should be compared to Humphrey in the long run. Humphrey was the bonafied media favorite 1st Center to go. He was a 1st rounder in most mocks.
Yoop wrote:

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

Drj820 wrote:
02 Aug 2022 07:53
I think the WR room is currently a mess and can grow into adequate. I think it’s going to be rough for about half the season, but the NFCN is bad enough that we can still win the division. I could see the young boys and the rookies coming into their own mid year and the group being fine by playoff time. But I expect growing pains.

I don’t trust Sammy’s health. I don’t trust Cobbs health. I don’t think Amari is very good. Watson sounds like he just had a knee surgery. And doubes is a hyped up 7th rounder. I guess I can have some faith in the guys by the end of the year that I expect to be healthy?
Doubs was taken in the 4th. He was well regarded and probably would have gone much sooner if there w was rnt so many excellent WRs this draft. Toure was taken in the 7th.

The common belief is that the Packers must upgrade the WR unit. I don't believe that or that the WR room is a mess.

1. We have 2 really good receiving RBs.
2. We have 1 great TEs, albeit coming off an injury and 2 promising ones.
3. Amari may surprise you. Only Greg Jennings did well as a rookie in AR Era. Adams, Jones, jordy and others struggled as rookies. Word is he worked really hard in offseason and looks in great shape. We hear that thing every year, but wait and see.
4. Rodgers seemed to play better when Adam's was out and he was forced to spread the ball more.
5. Watkins is a ridiculously talented and experienced player. He demands coverage attention at the least.
6. Lazard may be better than we think, he is very dependable. Getting the focus of more targets will help him improve even more.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
02 Aug 2022 09:05
I feel like we already kind of know what the WR's will be, a limited group, going to rely on Aaron to LaFleur to lift them up and make them efficient, but all of that, how much they can do, really going to rely on the OL.
BOOOOOOOOO

I genuinely don't understand why so many people think unproven = limited.

Our WR room is stacked with possibilities. We might have two full on DUDES by the end of the season. We might have none. We're definitely spreading the ball more, but like 28 of 32 teams spread the ball more than we have the past two years--and Rodgers has spread the ball around more in his career than he has the past couple years.

To say we know what we have there is the only take on the room I think I could certifiably disagree with :lol:

Related, and as for the video in the other thread (which I admittedly skimmed and skipped through), Amari Rodgers is the greatest unknown to me. He was swimming in the mental game and had some physical limitations last year.

He has slimmed down and trained up and focused on his deficits, and he has started to catch up to the speed of the game. That could make him a reliable Randall Cobb type with some gimmick options for his career.... or he could be a replaceable skillset who gets beaten out by Samari Toure for the slot of the future after Cobb moves on.
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 02 Aug 2022 09:27, edited 1 time in total.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I honestly think this basically comes down to a philosophical difference among people's willingness and/or ability to live with uncertainty.

Some people see perceived uncertain outcomes as necessarily bad. Some people are more comfortable with a different range of outcomes and different paths to success and takes them in whole.

The WR room has several individual players with a broad spectrum of potential outcomes, both this year and in the long term. Odds are that some people in the group will land toward the top end of their possible spectrum and some will land toward the bottom and some will land in the middle. If that happens, the room will be fine, because the top and middle outcomes are good enough to be a productive unit.

But the fact that we can't say with any degree of certainty which players will hit that top end and which won't leads too many people to overrate the downside possibilities of the individuals and the group.

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Aug 2022 09:21
BF004 wrote:
BOOOOOOOOO

Our WR room is stacked with possibilities. We might have two full on DUDES by the end of the season. We might have none. We're definitely spreading the ball more, but like 28 of 32 teams spread the ball more than we have the past two years--and Rodgers has spread the ball around more in his career than he has the past couple years.

To say we know what we have there is the only take on the room I think I could certifiably disagree with :lol:

Related, and as for the video in the thread (which I admittedly skimmed and skipped through), Amari Rodgers is the greatest unknown to me. He was swimming in the mental game and had some physical limitations last year.

He has slimmed down and trained up and focused on his deficits, and he has started to catch up to the speed of the game. That could make him a reliable Randall Cobb type with some gimmick options for his career.... or he could be a replaceable skillset who gets beaten out by Samari Toure for the slot of the future after Cobb moves on.
Cobb should have made my list. Although declining athletically at this point, he has a ton of experience with AR and can be counted on for a few receptions per game.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Aug 2022 09:21
BF004 wrote:
BOOOOOOOOO

I mean of course we could have 'dudes', but we also don't have one, really anything close to one. If Sammy Watkins is your best player, short of having OROY at WR, its gunna be a limited group, very limited.

We also could have had dudes going into the season with Ladarius Gunter and Quinten Rollins and Damarious Randall and the young Kevin King and Josh Hawkins. But real life sunk in during the season.

But like I said, if we get a healthy Bak and Jenkins back this year, with our RB's, with LaFleur, and with Rodgers, we can have a ton of success with this WR group. It just certainly won't look like past year. We aren't going to be asking these WR's to go win us a game.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

AmishMafia wrote:
02 Aug 2022 09:28
Cobb should have made my list. Although declining athletically at this point, he has a ton of experience with AR and can be counted on for a few receptions per game.
I do think it's funny that the ESPN and NFL Network talking heads' main question is always "its 3rd down, who does Rodgers look to/trust" and like RANDALL COBB HAS BEEN THAT GUY SO MANY TIMES. Like they forget that Rodgers asked the team to trade for his best friend who has a long, long history of clutch plays from Rodgers. He's not the Davante replacement at all even a little. But it's not like we're lacking a guy Rodgers trusts in a tricky spot.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
02 Aug 2022 09:30
I mean of course we could have 'dudes', but we also don't have one, really anything close to one. If Sammy Watkins is your best player, short of having OROY at WR, its gunna be a limited group, very limited.

We also could have had dudes going into the season with Ladarius Gunter and Quinten Rollins and Damarious Randall and the young Kevin King and Josh Hawkins. But real life sunk in during the season.
I guess this is exactly what I'm talking about. You point to the downside and call it "real life." As if you know for some kind of fact that the reality is that we don't have talented players at the position. As if the upside options are "fantasy" but the downside options are "realistic."

That's just not how probabilistic outcomes work.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Aug 2022 09:40
BF004 wrote:
02 Aug 2022 09:30

I guess this is exactly what I'm talking about. You point to the downside and call it "real life." As if you know for some kind of fact that the reality is that we don't have talented players at the position. As if the upside options are "fantasy" but the downside options are "realistic."

That's just not how probabilistic outcomes work.
Like I think that is exactly how probabilistic outcomes happen.

Gunter, Randall, Rollins et. al. had a 90% chance to be a bottom 10 unit, that was the most probably outcome. Didn't have the pass rush or safeties or LB's to help them out either. Obviously didn't mean it had to happen.

Our WR's are probably not too far off that. It is the most likely outcome. We are banking on quality around them to bail them out, keep them in favorable matchups, take off some of the pressure of them, and they can exceed the expectations we have for them. Even if those expectations aren't that high.