Amari Rodgers Training Video

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Aug 2022 13:41
Yoop wrote:
02 Aug 2022 13:30
It's what I've been saying, for most of Rodgers career, or till about 2016 Rodgers spread the ball around, mostly because he could depend on his receivers to be where they where suppose to be, the tunnel vision with Adams imo is a result of having to many raw receivers that rarely where at the pitch point, or at route check points when Rodgers would read through his route progressions, sure we'd see wide open receivers at times, but Rodgers can't see the whole 60 yrd wide field at once, I refuse to believe this has been a problem with Rodgers as much as it has been receivers.
I have always believed, and continue to believe, that tunnel vision toward Adams is something Rodgers did because he can, not because he has to. The guy was the best in the league at getting open and the QB-WR connection between the two of them was at the highest mental level imaginable, so they could do some pitch and catch. Why not take the easier road if it's sitting right there for you.

When Adams was out, the team generally affirmed that point. The other players can run their routes and get open. The scheme works with a balanced, varied approach. Rodgers can still see the field and make smart reads.

The offense will certainly look different. The first read on each play will be far more varied, playcall, and alignment-specific. But the fact that Rodgers zeroed in on Adams was a product of how good Adams was and how close the two players became more than it was a product of anything else. Not to say any of the other wideouts were/are elite players waiting undiscovered or under-utilized, just that they can all play their roles just fine; we just asked more of the elite WR and less of them.
Some of this is on LaFleur, too. He was asked point blank in one of his pressers if 80% of passes were designed to go to Adams or if that was an Aaron Rodgers exaggeration and he basically said, "Yeah, that is probably accurate." As talented as Adams was and is, that still seems too irresponsibly high.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Aug 2022 13:41
Yoop wrote:
02 Aug 2022 13:30
It's what I've been saying, for most of Rodgers career, or till about 2016 Rodgers spread the ball around, mostly because he could depend on his receivers to be where they where suppose to be, the tunnel vision with Adams imo is a result of having to many raw receivers that rarely where at the pitch point, or at route check points when Rodgers would read through his route progressions, sure we'd see wide open receivers at times, but Rodgers can't see the whole 60 yrd wide field at once, I refuse to believe this has been a problem with Rodgers as much as it has been receivers.
I have always believed, and continue to believe, that tunnel vision toward Adams is something Rodgers did because he can, not because he has to. The guy was the best in the league at getting open and the QB-WR connection between the two of them was at the highest mental level imaginable, so they could do some pitch and catch. Why not take the easier road if it's sitting right there for you.

When Adams was out, the team generally affirmed that point. The other players can run their routes and get open. The scheme works with a balanced, varied approach. Rodgers can still see the field and make smart reads.

The offense will certainly look different. The first read on each play will be far more varied, playcall, and alignment-specific. But the fact that Rodgers zeroed in on Adams was a product of how good Adams was and how close the two players became more than it was a product of anything else. Not to say any of the other wideouts were/are elite players waiting undiscovered or under-utilized, just that they can all play their roles just fine; we just asked more of the elite WR and less of them.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this Yoho, Adams hasn't always been the first read, he ends up being thrown to because the others aren't open when Rodgers looks there way, he threw 58 times to Tonyun, many in traffic because he trusted Tonyun, when he had time for Scantling to clear he threw to him, so imo he just hasn't trusted others.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Rodgers understands the business and wants to take care of his pals. No doubt in my mind two years ago Tonyan got force fed the ball on the goalline to help up his stock as he
Moved toward being an RFA. Same for Rodgers to Adams this year as Adams was due a new deal. Same reason why Rodgers loves throwing from the one yard line instead of just handing the ball to a running back.

Also, Adams got the ball a lot because Adams was always open. Lazard can’t separate so it’s a harder throw to make to get him the ball. Rodgers didn’t ignore MVS when he would spring free on a go route.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Force feeding Tonyan? Throwing to Tonyan in traffic?

Tonyan was notoriously wide open in 2020 during his "breakout" year. In fact he would have had more TDs had Rodgers thrown a decent ball to him when he was screaming wide open for a TD.

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Drj820 wrote:
02 Aug 2022 15:36
Rodgers understands the business and wants to take care of his pals. No doubt in my mind two years ago Tonyan got force fed the ball on the goalline to help up his stock as he
Moved toward being an RFA. Same for Rodgers to Adams this year as Adams was due a new deal. Same reason why Rodgers loves throwing from the one yard line instead of just handing the ball to a running back.

Also, Adams got the ball a lot because Adams was always open. Lazard can’t separate so it’s a harder throw to make to get him the ball. Rodgers didn’t ignore MVS when he would spring free on a go route.
Interesting theory, but I think false.

I think there are other more viable explanations. 1st contract guys tend to be at their best late in the contracts due to pure development arc. Many vets get a little motivation boost to put in more off-season work for a contract year to peak at right time... Also, AR threw plenty to Adams and other top targets in non-contract years.

Our OL hasn't been made up from maulers, pass pro has been the emphasis. Not the bestest for pounding it at goal line (not saying horrible, but not automatic success either). Plus AR is very good and safe at throwing and scrambling in the red zone. If someone bites on a play fake, corner gets picked, or a block fake works, it's over.

I do agree it was natural for AR to target Adams so much, cause Davante really got open so reliably.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

It isn't that Rodgers decided to target Adams so much it is that plays are designed with a primary option.

MLF, Rodgers etc are on record noting Adams was generally the primary option in most plays. Adams being the best wr on the team, Rodgers comfort with him all likely factors.

A wr may be open quickly on an out or shallow but Rodgers elite rush awareness means he can get to the primary option in the play most times.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
02 Aug 2022 15:45

Tonyan was notoriously wide open in 2020 during his "breakout" year. In fact he would have had more TDs had Rodgers thrown a decent ball to him when he was screaming wide open for a TD.

yep, some where wide open, some though where Bob just finding open space, getting behind DB's, after Adams, 2020 Tonyan was the most reliable receiver Rodgers had that season

He force fed Scantling even more, but he dropped 50% of his targets, and wide open is suppose to be his pedigree, and Lazard, well Big Al was legitimately covered, typically blanketed by the opponents #3 or 4 CB, thats why me, DR J and others think most of the Lazard hype is unfounded, players often look open as they catch the ball, what matters is what it took to get open prior to the catch, just look what Tonyan did to that DB on that short TD to start the you tube, he drove him right past the catch point, turn and made the catch, he took the DB right out of the play, and he did that other catches as well, your selling Tonyan short.
Last edited by Yoop on 02 Aug 2022 20:10, edited 1 time in total.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
02 Aug 2022 17:46
go pak go wrote:

yep, some where wide open, some though where Bob just finding open space, getting behind DB's, after Jones, 2020 Tonyan was the most reliable receiver Rodgers had that season

He force fed Scantling even more, but he dropped 50% of his targets, and wide open is suppose to be his pedigree, and Lazard, well Big Al was legitimately covered, typically blanketed by the opponents #3 or 4 CB, thats why me, DR J and others think most of the Lazard hype is unfounded, players often look open as they catch the ball, what matters is what it took to get open prior to the catch, just look what Tonyan did to that DB on that short TD to start the you tube, he drove him right past the catch point, turn and made the catch, he took the DB right out of the play, and he did that other catches as well, your selling Tonyan short.

Whoah. Whoah. Whoah.

How did this conversation flip to me selling Tonyan short?
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
02 Aug 2022 19:49
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

yep, some where wide open, some though where Bob just finding open space, getting behind DB's, after Jones, 2020 Tonyan was the most reliable receiver Rodgers had that season

Whoah. Whoah. Whoah.

well my impression of your comment was that if not for the lousy coverage Big Bob wouldn't have caught 90+ % of targeted throws, being wide open isn't always a defensive mistake in the sense that often a great hip fake provides that space, and there where instances of that in the you tube, very first play in fact.

some receivers excel at deceptively gaining separation, they see the DB mezmerized on the QB and glide away, in the vid I also saw some of that, if there is one player I expect to see have a very good season it's Tonyan, ( plus lewis taught him some tools of the trade as a blocker a year ago) Rodgers will get his 4 K plus, instead of one guy having 1500 plus it will probably take 2 or 3 though and and all the rest to break that 4K barrier, plus the 2K we'll get running the ball, a much better defense and ST's and that should be enough :munch:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
02 Aug 2022 20:47
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Whoah. Whoah. Whoah.

well my impression of your comment was that if not for the lousy coverage Big Bob wouldn't have caught 90+ % of targeted throws, being wide open isn't always a defensive mistake in the sense that often a great hip fake provides that space, and there where instances of that in the you tube, very first play in fact.

some receivers excel at deceptively gaining separation, they see the DB mezmerized on the QB and glide away, in the vid I also saw some of that, if there is one player I expect to see have a very good season it's Tonyan, ( plus lewis taught him some tools of the trade as a blocker a year ago) Rodgers will get his 4 K plus, instead of one guy having 1500 plus it will probably take 2 or 3 though and and all the rest to break that 4K barrier, plus the 2K we'll get running the ball, a much better defense and ST's and that should be enough :munch:
So am I to believe the 6:00 PM yoop who said Rodgers threw to Tonyan in traffic often or the 9:00 yoop who says Tonyan is a very good and deceptive receiver to always make himself wide open?

lol.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Honestly, this has been a mostly lovely chat. Lots of strong points going around. Good caveats. Not a ton of black and white.

Not sure that's gonna last
image.png
image.png (181.11 KiB) Viewed 315 times

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Let's hope the OL is good enough (healthy enough) we are a 45-55% run heavy team and Amari can stay on the bench.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
02 Aug 2022 21:41
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Whoah. Whoah. Whoah.

So am I to believe the 6:00 PM yoop who said Rodgers threw to Tonyan in traffic often or the 9:00 yoop who says Tonyan is a very good and deceptive receiver to always make himself wide open?

lol.
well you can believe whatever you want to believe, the season will reveal which guy Tonyan is

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Amari Rodgers had a really good play yesterday where he caught the ball up the seem from Aaron Rodgers.

I honestly hope we see the starters this preseason. I also hope Love and Entling deliver the ball well because our WRs will get a lot of preseason snaps. We need to take advantage of the field time this year.
Yoop wrote:

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

bud fox wrote:
02 Aug 2022 16:49
It isn't that Rodgers decided to target Adams so much it is that plays are designed with a primary option.

MLF, Rodgers etc are on record noting Adams was generally the primary option in most plays. Adams being the best wr on the team, Rodgers comfort with him all likely factors.

A wr may be open quickly on an out or shallow but Rodgers elite rush awareness means he can get to the primary option in the play most times.
Exactly. Adams was the first read on most plays. Rodgers, in my opinion, should have gone through his progression and not forced it to Adams. Although there is still a good bet Adams makes the grab, spreading the ball around helps more in the long run.

Also, Rodgers is very smart in his reads, and is able to diagnose the coverage quickly. Im sure he would realized his #3 read would likely be open on a given play - but still goes to Adams.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
He force fed Scantling even more, but he dropped 50% of his targets, and wide open is suppose to be his pedigree,
When I read statements like this it just makes me quit reading. It is so disingenuous and outright false. No sense continuing.

FYI:
A fifth-round pick of the Packers in 2018, Valdes-Scantling dropped 12 passes in his first three seasons combined but made it through the entire 2021 season without a drop, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
03 Aug 2022 05:07
go pak go wrote:
02 Aug 2022 21:41
Yoop wrote:

lol.
well you can believe whatever you want to believe, the season will reveal which guy Tonyan is
Good answer lol. 2020 was a while ago and of no consequence at this point.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

AmishMafia wrote:
03 Aug 2022 08:55
bud fox wrote:

Exactly. Adams was the first read on most plays. Rodgers, in my opinion, should have gone through his progression and not forced it to Adams. Although there is still a good bet Adams makes the grab, spreading the ball around helps more in the long run.

Also, Rodgers is very smart in his reads, and is able to diagnose the coverage quickly. Im sure he would realized his #3 read would likely be open on a given play - but still goes to Adams.

Alright. This right here. Is something I want to expound on.

I often think the Packers are just an outright better team than say...70%? Of the teams we face in the regular season.

I think we could probably run the same 5? Plays and beat those teams.

The problem is that in the playoffs, the other teams can stop those 5 plays. They can slow adams down and what we’ve done all year long. Sometimes i feel we have gotten lethargic and cozy whipping the NFCN scrubs and we take what worked against them into the playoffs.

I would like to see us lose more games, if it meant trying new things against the scrubs/Not taking the easiest option every play, in order to develop a young guy who will be needed once Adams is slowed down/punt more because we tried something new that didn’t work, that may work later etc

Point being, I would rather lose some battles to set us up to win a war. Throwing to Adams is a prime example. Heck ya it’s the smart play, heck ya he probably is first read, and he def is reliable and open...but I’d rather practice hitting the third read, because that may be needed come January.

Adams may have hated that, but I think it would better prepare us for those few elite teams that we aren’t just outright better than

Adams is gone now, but I think adopting this philosophy would be helpful even as new “easiest/best” options develop

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Drj820 wrote:
03 Aug 2022 10:53
AmishMafia wrote:
03 Aug 2022 08:55
bud fox wrote:

Alright. This right here. Is something I want to expound on.

I often think the Packers are just an outright better team than say...70%? Of the teams we face in the regular season.

I think we could probably run the same 5? Plays and beat those teams.

The problem is that in the playoffs, the other teams can stop those 5 plays. They can slow adams down and what we’ve done all year long. Sometimes i feel we have gotten lethargic and cozy whipping the NFCN scrubs and we take what worked against them into the playoffs.

I would like to see us lose more games, if it meant trying new things against the scrubs/Not taking the easiest option every play, in order to develop a young guy who will be needed once Adams is slowed down/punt more because we tried something new that didn’t work, that may work later etc

Point being, I would rather lose some battles to set us up to win a war. Throwing to Adams is a prime example. Heck ya it’s the smart play, heck ya he probably is first read, and he def is reliable and open...but I’d rather practice hitting the third read, because that may be needed come January.

Adams may have hated that, but I think it would better prepare us for those few elite teams that we aren’t just outright better than

Adams is gone now, but I think adopting this philosophy would be helpful even as new “easiest/best” options develop
You are trying to be nice.

Look what the rams and bucks etc have done at wr recently with playoff season in mind. Our number 1 wr probably wouldn't make our superbowl winning team or been deep in the depth chart.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
03 Aug 2022 10:45
Yoop wrote:
He force fed Scantling even more, but he dropped 50% of his targets, and wide open is suppose to be his pedigree,
When I read statements like this it just makes me quit reading. It is so disingenuous and outright false. No sense continuing.

FYI:
A fifth-round pick of the Packers in 2018, Valdes-Scantling dropped 12 passes in his first three seasons combined but made it through the entire 2021 season without a drop, according to ESPN Stats & Information.
the stats don't always deceive, he caught 33 of 66 targeted throws, thats 50% that landed on the ground, I don't know who your listening to from ESPN but there report is what is deceiving.

what helped Scantling secure a 10 mil. contract was his ability to stretch the field.

2021 10 games 26 catches 55 tgts 39 ypg average
2020 16 games 33 rec. 63 tgts 43.1 ypga
2019 16 games 26 rec. 56 tgts 28.3 ypga
2018 16 games 38 rec. 73 tgts 36.3 ypga

again I don't know how ESPN determines a drop, but these are there game stats for MVS but he has never caught more then 50% of targeted throws.

you quit reading because reality was to disturbing.
Last edited by Yoop on 04 Aug 2022 08:46, edited 1 time in total.