2023 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
25 Jan 2023 15:45
I keep hearing people mention the Colts. They do go after QBs, for sure. But who in the heck thinks that Rodgers would approve that? I don’t see it at all.
He doesn't need to, there's no no-trade clause in his contract. The Packers can trade him to whomever they want should they choose to do him the dirty like that.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
25 Jan 2023 16:30
Scott4Pack wrote:
I keep hearing people mention the Colts. They do go after QBs, for sure. But who in the heck thinks that Rodgers would approve that? I don’t see it at all.
He doesn't need to, there's no no-trade clause in his contract. The Packers can trade him to whomever they want should they choose to do him the dirty like that.
Rodgers definitely has a no trade clause. Its called retirement. He mentions that word to any team trying to trade for him and that deal over.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Scott4Pack wrote:
I'm not sure Rodgers would view them as awful. Michael Pittman Jr, Jonathan Taylor, a pretty good offensive line. Their defense needs work but if we are swapping 1sts they maintain a pick to work with to build the team.

Theres potential on the Colts with a good QB. Ryan is just done for. His arm talent wasnt elite to begin with and now its gone.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
25 Jan 2023 17:15
Scott4Pack wrote:
I'm not sure Rodgers would view them as awful. Michael Pittman Jr, Jonathan Taylor, a pretty good offensive line. Their defense needs work but if we are swapping 1sts they maintain a pick to work with to build the team.

Theres potential on the Colts with a good QB. Ryan is just done for. His arm talent wasnt elite to begin with and now its gone.
Crazy owner and no coach on a bad team.

I’d stay away.

Teams I’d want I were Aaron.

SF
….
New England
Jets
…..
Dolphins - Raiders - Seahens - Titans

I’d probably wouldn’t consider the Colts, Giants, Saints, Bucs, Commaders or other teams for various reasons.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Jan 2023 14:46
Makes up for last year perhaps?
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Once the athletic numbers are in, I expect the draft consensus will be Washington as the #1 guy at TE and Mayer looked at as more of a Late 1st, Early 2nd (same thing) guy. Athleticism and upside tends to win the day, though not always.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

If he's the next Jason Witten, I'm all for it!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Jan 2023 16:58
If he's the next Jason Witten, I'm all for it!
Yup.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

I think it will be pass rush, receiver or oline.

Receivers will move up boards the closer we get to the draft and on draft day.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Kincaid is 24 with good, but only average athleticism, and no blocking ability. I would absolutely hate drafting him high. Even if he's a valuable receiving option, it's hard for me to take a TE before the 3rd round with that description.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

The draft sure gets more fun when trading Aaron. :lol:

Traded Aaron for 1.20, 2.37 and a '24 1st from Seattle. Gotta be figuring Seattle is a playoff team in '24, making their 1st not too valuable. Seattle gets to keep pick 5 this year as they try to compete, Pete Carroll I believe is the oldest coach in the league, he's not gunna want to wait around forever here. Seattle on the west coast.

image.png
image.png (262.98 KiB) Viewed 669 times

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Drafting should only be as fun as when you can get the haul of draft picks that you described above, BF004. If Guty can get that, he should instantly go to Packer Heaven, cuz ain’t nobody in their right minds gonna give that. But we can sure wish!
:-)

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
30 Jan 2023 12:02
Drafting should only be as fun as when you can get the haul of draft picks that you described above, BF004. If Guty can get that, he should instantly go to Packer Heaven, cuz ain’t nobody in their right minds gonna give that. But we can sure wish!
:-)
If Seattle wants to make a move, they have the ammo and the need, and likely have to convincingly outbid any AFC team.

Lot of pick #7's and #13's in mock trades so far, pick #20 and a '24 1st from a likely playoff team maybe worth that 7-13 range.

Not saying it's likely, but plausible, IMO.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Seattle trade makes no sense, Geno Smith at 32 is a way better option than Rodgers at 40.
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Labrev wrote:
30 Jan 2023 12:33
Seattle trade makes no sense, Geno Smith at 32 is a way better option than Rodgers at 40.
I disagree. You got a HOF coach with maybe 2-3 years left, a playoff caliber roster, a boat load of draft picks.

I absolutely envision the scenario where he's not gunna be content watching those picks flourish in 3-5 years and ride off into the sunset with a whimper with Geno Smith.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

BF004 wrote:
30 Jan 2023 12:39
Labrev wrote:
I disagree. You got a HOF coach with maybe 2-3 years left, a playoff caliber roster, a boat load of draft picks.

I absolutely envision the scenario where he's not gunna be content watching those picks flourish in 3-5 years and ride off into the sunset with a whimper with Geno Smith.
But stats-wise Geno did a bit better than Rodgers this year. His completion percentage, yards-per-attempt, 1st downs, passer rating, and QBR were all better.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
30 Jan 2023 12:47
BF004 wrote:
Labrev wrote:

But stats-wise Geno did a bit better than Rodgers this year. His completion percentage, yards-per-attempt, 1st downs, passer rating, and QBR were all better.
Let's be honest, Aaron has won the MVP 40% of the time he hasn't broken his collar bone the past 12 years. He is unequivocally, without a shout of a doubt, better than Geno Smith. It isn't even a conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

BF004 wrote:
Labrev wrote:

If anything, I think Rodgers's annual playoff choke routine is more likely to make you go out on a whimper than Geno's Rich Gannon arc.
—Magneto

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BF004 wrote:
30 Jan 2023 12:51
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
30 Jan 2023 12:47
BF004 wrote:

Let's be honest, Aaron has won the MVP 40% of the time he hasn't broken his collar bone the past 12 years. He is unequivocally, without a shout of a doubt, better than Geno Smith. It isn't even a conversation.
Geno Smith has always been a guy who has enormous physical talent. His only issue has been putting it together in his head. And it seems that he took a big step forward in that this year. So, the idea that Aaron is much better than Geno at this point, I think, might not hold a lot of water.