Final Roster Cutdown

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Surprise keep for me is Ford. I wonder if they’re banking on blocked kick upside. Also Carpenter. I’m not seeing anything special there. Maybe they’re trying to grow their STs from the ground up. Carpenter can be a core guy. Surprise cuts for me is Gafford. I just thought with his speed he would be a must keep on STs. I guess I’m also surprised they cut both RBs. I thought it would be one or the other.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

salmar80 wrote:
30 Aug 2022 18:26
Rasheed Walker also had a rough camp, yet made it over Caleb Jones.
Walker didn't have a rough camp... he simply didn't play. He wasn't healthy until the final week of preseason, and then he nailed it in that one game.

He had a rough minicamp and OTAs, though, I do remember that.

I think Davis made it mostly for STs in addition to being a project. That's the way some people have characterized it, at least. But heck, what do I know?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Garvin still getting by on his upside. I did not think he earned a spot.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
30 Aug 2022 18:31
Surprise keep for me is Ford. I wonder if they’re banking on blocked kick upside. Also Carpenter. I’m not seeing anything special there. Maybe they’re trying to grow their STs from the ground up. Carpenter can be a core guy. Surprise cuts for me is Gafford. I just thought with his speed he would be a must keep on STs. I guess I’m also surprised they cut both RBs. I thought it would be one or the other.
Yeah, I think Carpenter showed enough on the field on Thursday to see that he can be a core Teams guy. Big, fast and physical. I didn't think he'd stick, but I wouldn't consider it a big surprise, either. Ford is more of a surprise given the camps that Heflin and Slayton had.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
30 Aug 2022 18:44
lupedafiasco wrote:
Yeah, I think Carpenter showed enough on the field on Thursday to see that he can be a core Teams guy. Big, fast and physical. I didn't think he'd stick, but I wouldn't consider it a big surprise, either. Ford is more of a surprise given the camps that Heflin and Slayton had.
I agree with this, but I also think all 3 will be retained including the PS. I don't think any of them would have been at risk of getting claimed, but maybe the rare size and draft status of Ford made him a more valuable asset to protect? I'll be disappointed if at least 1 of Heflin and Slayton aren't on the PS, but preferably both.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Aug 2022 18:13
QB (2): 12 Aaron Rodgers, 10 Jordan Love

Released: 19 Danny Etling

RB (2): 33 Aaron Jones, 28 AJ Dillon

Released: 27 Patrick Taylor, 39 Tyler Goodson, 34 Dexter Williams
Physically unable to perform: 32 Kylin Hill

WR (7): 13 Allen Lazard, 18 Randall Cobb, 11 Sammy Watkins, 8 Amari Rodgers, 9 Christian Watson, 87 Romeo Doubs, 83 Samori Toure

Released: 88 Juwann Winfree, 86 Travis Fulgham
Waived/injured: 5 Ishmael Hyman

TE (4): 89 Marcedes Lewis, 85 Robert Tonyan, 81 Josiah Deguara, 84 Tyler Davis

Released: 80 Sal Cannella
Waived/injured: 82 Nate Becker, 47 Alizé Mack

OL (10): 69 David Bakhtiari, 74 Elgton Jenkins, 76 Jon Runyan, 71 Josh Myers, 70 Royce Newman, 73 Yosh Nijman, 67 Jake Hanson, 50 Zach Tom, 75 Sean Rhyan, 63 Rasheed Walker

Released: 72 Caleb Jones, 65 Michal Menet

DL (6): 97 Kenny Clark, 94 Dean Lowry, 90 Jarran Reed, 93 T.J. Slaton, 95 Devonte Wyatt, 99 Jonathan Ford

Released: 96 Jack Heflin, 60 Chris Slayton
Waived/injured: 98 Akial Byers

OLB (5): 91 Preston Smith, 52 Rashan Gary, 40 Tipa Galeai, 55 Kingsley Enagbare, 53 Jonathan Garvin

Released: 49 Kobe Jones, 54 La'Darius Hamilton

ILB (4): 59 De'Vondre Campbell, 7 Quay Walker, 51 Krys Barnes, 58 Isaiah McDuffie

Released: 57 Ray Wilborn, 44 Ty Summers

CB (5): 23 Jaire Alexander, 21 Eric Stokes, 29 Rasul Douglas, 25 Keisean Nixon, 22 Shemar Jean-Charles

Released: 37 Rico Gafford, 48 Kabion Ento, 43 Kiondre Thomas

S (5): 31 Adrian Amos, 26 Darnell Savage, 6 Dallin Leavitt, 24 Tariq Carpenter, 46 Micah Abernathy

Released: 35 De'Vante Cross
Waived/injured: 30 Shawn Davis, 38 Innis Gaines

Spec. (3): 2 Mason Crosby, 16 Pat O'Donnell, 56 Jack Coco

Released: 45 Ramiz Ahmed
Thanks for posting this.

What i see from this list is positions of certainty, and positions of uncertainty.

RB? Thrilled with who they have at 1 and 2 and must expect Hill back soonish

QB? 2 is fine unless one goes down

DL? That group is so stacked the low ceiling Heflin couldnt even find a spot (I like him, would have kept him on 53)

But other positions tell a different story. Its like some position battles werent settled in camp so they will go on for a bit longer. I mean 5 safeties when Rasul has been practicing there too? Tells me they arent sure yet what they have behind Savage and Amos.

Also tells me if you can play STs, you have a leg up on making this roster.

OLB? I honestly thought our talent warranted 4 at that position, i think they kept 5 because they are still hoping one of those guys will pop, and they are unsure who.

WR? Who knows. Cobb will probably miss a quarter of the season, he always does at his age. Watkins, We shall see. Watson? We shall see. So much "We shall see" at that spot. Basically they kept everybody that has room to grow and cut Winfree who is better than Toure, but they already know exactly who he is.

Its an interesting 53.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

I was hoping Abernathy and Chris Slayton would make the cuts. Well Abernathy did make it. Good for him.
Love is the answer…

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Aug 2022 18:47
NCF wrote:
30 Aug 2022 18:44
lupedafiasco wrote:
I agree with this, but I also think all 3 will be retained including the PS. I don't think any of them would have been at risk of getting claimed, but maybe the rare size and draft status of Ford made him a more valuable asset to protect? I'll be disappointed if at least 1 of Heflin and Slayton aren't on the PS, but preferably both.
I think Slayton will stick. Hes 26 so in his prime but hasnt proven to be anything. Probably no upside for teams to claim him over their own guys. Heflin just in year 2 and 24. I still doubt hes claimed for an active roster but with a deep group here I could see him maybe elect to go to another teams practice squad.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004 wrote:
30 Aug 2022 10:23
BF004 wrote:
30 Aug 2022 09:32
Only keeping 5 DL, makes sense, but liked the two guys there, Heflin and Slayton. I'd try to get both to the PS.
Kind of forgot about Jonathan Ford, GM's really tend to keep draft picks if it's close.
Mmmhmmm

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Alright so full analyzation and grades of the final roster:

QB: A+
Keeping 2 is always the right move in my book. What are the chances any teams #3 QB is pulling a win out of their ass? Rodgers is by far and away the best QB to ever play the game plagued by bad luck and roster incompetence. The team will always go as far as he is able to carry it. Love makes for a great #2 QB. He has all the ability in the world to win a game if called upon... if hes up double digit point. In a situation were he needs to start every team will blitz the ever living &%$@ out of him until he learns how to beat it and this time it will be without Adams.

RB: A+
The duo of Jones and Dillon is 2nd to only Chubb and Hunt IMO. Hill to me is a future contributor at the position as well. Even Goodson looks like he could play the Aaron Jones role, but a much lesser degree of course. Im very critical of paying Jones but the position group as it stands is probably the best GB has seen since Green and Davenport and even then I think we may be better.

WR: D
This is just roster building incompetence. Not only are your top 3 all on 1 year deals but the rest are rookies and a struggling 2nd year player. Its quite possible Watson and Doubs explode out the gate. I also really like the Watkins signing and think he will end up our top pass catcher. Still its the same thing Ive said the last few years. This team will pound in the regular season but when coverage rules change in the playoffs and defenders get away with being more physical I expect this will be where we lose.

TE: D
Tonyan needs to return to 2020 form. I think last season he declined trying to chip more and stay in for blocks. He excels as a pass catcher and using his athleticism to win down the field or getting horizontal quickly. Lewis just stinks. Whatever, he blocks well. There isnt a doubt in my mind if he wasnt on this team he would be on the street. You cant be a one dimensional player at a position that requires versatility. Deguara is kind of a disappointment. I dont know what it is he does well. Interesting they kept Tyler Davis after being one of the biggest bums Ive seen in a while. If I was to pick this year Bosbitch here it is. Guy isnt a gamer.

OL: B+
With Bak and Jenkins at OT we may have the best OT tandem is Bak returns the same or close. I still think Runyans best position is RT but I like him fine enough at LG. I do like Myers and expect a good season at C. RG is were I have a ton of concern. Newman stunk last year. Do we start Tom at RG? Rhyan didnt look ready. I have serious reserves about Hanson there. Do we play Jenkins at RG and Tom at RT? I think thats is the best option but Im not sure the coaches agree.

DL: B
Clark is an obvious phenom. It will be a new role for him with TJ at NT but I think it enables Clark to get after QBs and stay fresh. Slaton I am very high on. I was last season as well and thought the team should have embraced the growing pains. Reed Im neutral on. Lowry is also just a meh player. Wyatt is going to need time to develop but I hope they give him opportunities. Rookie DTs always struggle with the leap from awful, slow college lineman to athletic pro guard. Ford is interesting to me. Could just be NT depth. Could be a ST move for protection and blocks.

Edge: B+
That 3rd pass rusher needs to emerge. Barry liked to sit his elite pass rushers for... well, pass rushing often opting to play is 3rd and 4th edge defenders on early downs. Can Garvin be that? Can Enagbare be that as a rookie. We know what we have in Gary and Smith. To me besides health this whole defense being elite hinges on this position group behind our proven starters.

ILB: A+
I have begged for a real starting duo at ILB for what seams like forever. I remember hearing Mike Nolan (I think) talk about the advantage of P Willis and Bowman. They could play nickel and defend the run as well as the pass. Offenses could exploit their personnel. Ive wanted that ever since. Finally I think we have that. On top Barnes and the Duff make for a good backup duo. Im convinced this position group may be the best since maybe the 60s.

CB: A+
The versatility is insane here. You have 3 CBs who can play the boundary. You have 3 CBs who can play slot. I expect QBs to test Stokes because hes the only one who wont make them pay unless he proves otherwise this season. Ive always liked SJC. Casey Hayward light to me. Nixon to me is interesting but uninspiring. If he is playing we are in trouble.

S: C
Amos is about as assignment sure and consistent as it comes. He tackles well, he tackles hard, he covers well, hes got good hands, hes all effort and he can blitz. Savage is none of those things besides maybe blitzing. He needs to show me some intensity and effort. When I watch him I can just see he doesnt like contact. Abernathy is interesting. This guy is all effort and drive. I heard from beat writers Leavitt wasnt going anywhere without Bisacchia putting up a fight. Carpenter to me is meh athlete and player but could have a decent STs athlete. Hes between a ILB and S but that profile does translate to STs success.

Specs: C
Not sure on any of them high key. Crosby hasnt kicked and is coming off another down year. He knows the stadium and the cold but the kickoff thing I cant get past. O'Donnell has never struck any confidence in me that it solves our decade+ punting woes. Coco also seems like a whatever long snapper. This group of players is the most unknown to me but its also heavily reliant on the rest of the STs units to do its job.

My overall takeaway: Its a good team. Nothing to rosterbate to though. I think we win the North, finish 11-6 but lose 2nd round of the playoffs because our offense just struggles against NFL playoff rules and defenses and I dont think STs improves enough to withstand its inevitable collapse.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Aug 2022 09:33
paco wrote:
30 Aug 2022 09:28
Well, time for me to prep dinner

image.png
Don’t forget about the two RBs thing. :lol:

:beer2:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Tyler Davis making the roster at TE is a sign of the desperation surrounding the position

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
30 Aug 2022 20:20

Keeping 2 is always the right move in my book. What are the chances any teams #3 QB is pulling a win out of their ass? Rodgers is by far and away the best QB to ever play the game plagued by bad luck and roster incompetence. The team will always go as far as he is able to carry it. Love makes for a great #2 QB. He has all the ability in the world to win a game if called upon... if hes up double digit point. In a situation were he needs to start every team will blitz the ever living &%$@ out of him until he learns how to beat it and this time it will be without Adams.

The duo of Jones and Dillon is 2nd to only Chubb and Hunt IMO. Hill to me is a future contributor at the position as well. Even Goodson looks like he could play the Aaron Jones role, but a much lesser degree of course. Im very critical of paying Jones but the position group as it stands is probably the best GB has seen since Green and Davenport and even then I think we may be better.

This is just roster building incompetence. Not only are your top 3 all on 1 year deals but the rest are rookies and a struggling 2nd year player. Its quite possible Watson and Doubs explode out the gate. I also really like the Watkins signing and think he will end up our top pass catcher. Still its the same thing Ive said the last few years. This team will pound in the regular season but when coverage rules change in the playoffs and defenders get away with being more physical I expect this will be where we lose.

Tonyan needs to return to 2020 form. I think last season he declined trying to chip more and stay in for blocks. He excels as a pass catcher and using his athleticism to win down the field or getting horizontal quickly. Lewis just stinks. Whatever, he blocks well. There isnt a doubt in my mind if he wasnt on this team he would be on the street. You cant be a one dimensional player at a position that requires versatility. Deguara is kind of a disappointment. I dont know what it is he does well. Interesting they kept Tyler Davis after being one of the biggest bums Ive seen in a while. If I was to pick this year Bosbitch here it is. Guy isnt a gamer.

With Bak and Jenkins at OT we may have the best OT tandem is Bak returns the same or close. I still think Runyans best position is RT but I like him fine enough at LG. I do like Myers and expect a good season at C. RG is were I have a ton of concern. Newman stunk last year. Do we start Tom at RG? Rhyan didnt look ready. I have serious reserves about Hanson there. Do we play Jenkins at RG and Tom at RT? I think thats is the best option but Im not sure the coaches agree.

Clark is an obvious phenom. It will be a new role for him with TJ at NT but I think it enables Clark to get after QBs and stay fresh. Slaton I am very high on. I was last season as well and thought the team should have embraced the growing pains. Reed Im neutral on. Lowry is also just a meh player. Wyatt is going to need time to develop but I hope they give him opportunities. Rookie DTs always struggle with the leap from awful, slow college lineman to athletic pro guard. Ford is interesting to me. Could just be NT depth. Could be a ST move for protection and blocks.

That 3rd pass rusher needs to emerge. Barry liked to sit his elite pass rushers for... well, pass rushing often opting to play is 3rd and 4th edge defenders on early downs. Can Garvin be that? Can Enagbare be that as a rookie. We know what we have in Gary and Smith. To me besides health this whole defense being elite hinges on this position group behind our proven starters.

I have begged for a real starting duo at ILB for what seams like forever. I remember hearing Mike Nolan (I think) talk about the advantage of P Willis and Bowman. They could play nickel and defend the run as well as the pass. Offenses could exploit their personnel. Ive wanted that ever since. Finally I think we have that. On top Barnes and the Duff make for a good backup duo. Im convinced this position group may be the best since maybe the 60s.

The versatility is insane here. You have 3 CBs who can play the boundary. You have 3 CBs who can play slot. I expect QBs to test Stokes because hes the only one who wont make them pay unless he proves otherwise this season. Ive always liked SJC. Casey Hayward light to me. Nixon to me is interesting but uninspiring. If he is playing we are in trouble.

Amos is about as assignment sure and consistent as it comes. He tackles well, he tackles hard, he covers well, hes got good hands, hes all effort and he can blitz. Savage is none of those things besides maybe blitzing. He needs to show me some intensity and effort. When I watch him I can just see he doesnt like contact. Abernathy is interesting. This guy is all effort and drive. I heard from beat writers Leavitt wasnt going anywhere without Bisacchia putting up a fight. Carpenter to me is meh athlete and player but could have a decent STs athlete. Hes between a ILB and S but that profile does translate to STs success.

Not sure on any of them high key. Crosby hasnt kicked and is coming off another down year. He knows the stadium and the cold but the kickoff thing I cant get past. O'Donnell has never struck any confidence in me that it solves our decade+ punting woes. Coco also seems like a whatever long snapper. This group of players is the most unknown to me but its also heavily reliant on the rest of the STs units to do its job.

My overall takeaway: Its a good team. Nothing to rosterbate to though. I think we win the North, finish 11-6 but lose 2nd round of the playoffs because our offense just struggles against NFL playoff rules and defenses and I dont think STs improves enough to withstand its inevitable collapse.
The defense looks GREAT. Offense looks inadequate.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
30 Aug 2022 21:55
lupedafiasco wrote:

The defense looks GREAT. Offense looks inadequate.
The hope of the offense lies where it has lied for some time now...in the MVP QB, and the RB room.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Aug 2022 20:46
Tyler Davis making the roster at TE is a sign of the desperation surrounding the position
Davis had a crap camp. But I think there is still something to work with there.
RIP JustJeff

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

The 53 has several head scratchers, where inferior players were kept in favor of worse players, but the worse players were kept only because they were draft picks. You make an already bad position group worse by keeping Toure (not even mentioning Rodgers) over a Winfree. TT rarely kept bad players just because they were draft picks. GB was known as a place UDFA got a fair shot - not anymore.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
30 Aug 2022 22:28
Drj820 wrote:
30 Aug 2022 20:46
Davis had a crap camp. But I think there is still something to work with there.
most late round picks with crap camps dont make the 53. He made it because of the weakness of the position.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

lupedafiasco wrote:

Great write up and agree with basically everything.

I am not as high on the oline and think they have shown to perform similar in the playoffs as our WRs when the opposition rises. However if we have a health Bak and Jenkins it has to be a B+

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

lupedafiasco wrote:

<< Its quite possible Watson and Doubs explode out the gate. This team will pound in the regular season but when coverage rules change in the playoffs and defenders get away with being more physical I expect this will be where we lose. >> Do you really think it is a good idea to jam a 6' 4" 210 WR with 4.3 speed and YAC ability? Miss and its a TD. The grade for this position depends on Christian Watson, if he isn't ready or gets hurt your D is probably accurate, if he is healthy and properly developed this could be an A by playoff time.

Tonyan needs to return to 2020 form - and stay healthy. No one else in this group deserves to have made the 53.

Bak is healthy again - but has he lost quickness?
Jenkins is close to being healthy but not there yet. He too could have lost something.
Runyan is a B guard
Myers is likely to be an A center
RG : Newman stunk the first half of last season and in the playoff game. He was fine in November and December. Remember the pre-season hype about Newman - well this year we have the same hype for Tom with likely the same result should he start? Rhyan isn't ready. <<I have serious reserves about Hanson there>> I do too, he is a backup center and a backup guard, not a starter.
Jenkins is the RT but don't be surprised if Nijman starts until October.

Lowry was rate the 33 best Dlineman last season, nothing meh about that.

Specs: C You are very generous. A kickoff is the opposing team starting at midfield. A punt return is even worse. My grade: F