Week 1 Post-Game: Packers 38 Bears 20

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
11 Sep 2023 10:53
Yeah Musgrave was pulling a Jeff Janis yesterday by needing to turn around.

Not an instinctual thing we like to see at all. At least you could tell in his face that what he did on that play was stupid, even after he caught it.
seriously, no fumble and Love would hit (hopefully) Musgrave in stride and Musgrave wouldn't have turned around and walked into the EZ..

come on boys that is such a weak defense of Love :rotf:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
11 Sep 2023 10:58
please explain to me how using less play clock translates to more efficient offense, the play clock has absolutely nothing to do with Game clock, so the time a offense uses on the play clock will be no different in either situation.
I'm not chasing my own tail in another rehashed argument with you. There are advantages to both styles of play, dependent upon the caliber of players running the offense and scheme of play. It doesn't have to be absolute. :messedup: :roll:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004 wrote:
11 Sep 2023 07:59
My quick takes

+++ Jones - get this dude a new hammy.
+++ Romeo - clutch, huge on 3rd down and end zone, while on a pitch count. Get him healthy and with Watson on the other side, he gunna have a year
++ Love - was awesome, still left some out there, took care of the ball super well, yet wasn’t afraid to sling it
+ Bakhtiari - played the whole game. Seemed like running left was a lot harder to come by, maybe he needed a few more practice reps
+ Savage - think he missed a tackle on that first drive, then was really good and physical after that
+ Jaire - wasn’t perfect, but more 2 catches for 25 yards is the result it is.
+ Wyatt/Van Ness/Brooks - all stepped up and had a flash play, love to see that, now just want to see it all more.
+ Gary - back from the ACL looking more explosive than ever
+ Tom - backed up all the hype with a really good game again from what I saw.

- Quay - had the pick 6, but I think looked lost a lot out there, little confidence,
- - Rudy Ford - 2nd safety could legit end up costing us a game or two this year, he was quite bad.
- - Dillon - the gap between him and Jones seems to be getting bigger each year.
- - Josh Myers - had a super rough start there, missed blocks and bad blocks, a botched snap, maybe 2, not sure who was in with Clifford. Our worst starter on O.

The blogger seems to agree with me.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
11 Sep 2023 11:01
go pak go wrote:

Not an instinctual thing we like to see at all. At least you could tell in his face that what he did on that play was stupid, even after he caught it.
seriously, no fumble and Love would hit (hopefully) Musgrave in stride and Musgrave wouldn't have turned around and walked into the EZ..

There are plenty of examples to pick at Love's game yesterday. But goodness the fumble to Musgrave play isn't one of them.

That was silently one of the best plays made by a quarterback in a while.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

It's not a defense of Love at all. It wasn't a good pass to where Musgrave was, but there shouldn't have been a reason why Musgrave sat down in that zone there wasn't a safety over top him. Same thing happened on a play earlier where he tried to turn around to catch it and the ball overshot him. Not sure why he feels the need to turn completely around to catch passes.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 11 Sep 2023 11:06, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
11 Sep 2023 11:02
Thank the LORD! Keep the pressure on!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
11 Sep 2023 10:50
Yoop wrote:
11 Sep 2023 10:45
Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Sep 2023 10:32
Every QB in the league gets the vast majority of passes off in under 5 seconds. 5 seconds is an eternity and the normal time to throw is around 2.5-3 seconds.

We definitely saw an attempt at something we would NEVER have done with Aaron Rodgers. The true option play, that got stuffed, was doing something outside of what we would see with Rodgers. Other than that we didn't see any hero ball, but it is early and a small sample size in a game that got out of hand. So, we shall see.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/can-t-miss-p ... o-musgrave

Musgrave did it on the other play where he was overshot. Not sure why he is in the habit of turning around and not catching over the shoulder. It isn't like he is sitting down in a zone with a safety over the top. He had the sideline the entire time there.
over shot???? the ball was under thrown for one, and he turned around because Love dropped the ball and he had no idea what Love was going to do with it, he simply got his feet tangled when turning around.

I don't have all 22 or a camera view but I expect he didn't turn around till after Love dropped the ball :idn:

Love was at fault on that play for the reason it didn't become a TD imho.
Under thrown...?

well maybe not under thrown, but I think I'am right, Musgrave turned around once he saw Love drop the ball, and he stayed that way because that consist of a broken play, he wanted to be ready to block or become a checkoff receiver, that he tangled his legs trying to turn around just looked really awkward.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Lol. Sean Clifford with a negative grade.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Yoop wrote:well maybe not under thrown, but I think I'am right, Musgrave turned around once he saw Love drop the ball, and he stayed that way because that consist of a broken play, he wanted to be ready to block or become a checkoff receiver, that he tangled his legs trying to turn around just looked really awkward.
Here is the overhead view:

You can clearly see Love had repossessed the ball well before Musgrave turned around. Hell, I'm not convinced Musgrave even knew Love fumbled the snap since his head was upfield while it occurred.

The ball was already airborne when Musgrave turned around. He misjudged it, plain and simple.

The throw was DEAD BALLS ON. The receiver misplayed it.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
11 Sep 2023 11:06
Musgrave turned around once he saw Love drop the ball, and he stayed that way because that consist of a broken play,
Musgrave wasn't even looking at Love during the fumble. It's clear as day on the video.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
Yoop wrote:
11 Sep 2023 10:58
please explain to me how using less play clock translates to more efficient offense, the play clock has absolutely nothing to do with Game clock, so the time a offense uses on the play clock will be no different in either situation.
I'm not chasing my own tail in another rehashed argument with you. There are advantages to both styles of play, dependent upon the caliber of players running the offense and scheme of play. It doesn't have to be absolute. :messedup: :roll:
well I'am just giving you info I've read, not as though I'am making it up, we'll see how this plays out in the future.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
11 Sep 2023 11:07
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Yoop wrote:well maybe not under thrown, but I think I'am right, Musgrave turned around once he saw Love drop the ball, and he stayed that way because that consist of a broken play, he wanted to be ready to block or become a checkoff receiver, that he tangled his legs trying to turn around just looked really awkward.
Here is the overhead view:

You can clearly see Love had repossessed the ball well before Musgrave turned around. Hell, I'm not convinced Musgrave even knew Love fumbled the snap since his head was upfield while it occurred.

The ball was already airborne when Musgrave turned around. He misjudged it, plain and simple.

The throw was DEAD BALLS ON. The receiver misplayed it.
your right, and this is the first time I've seen this view, If Musgrave does that again we should cut him. and Love needs to hold onto the snap.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Random thoughts:

- Bears fans' fear can be smelled all the way in Finland. "What if they DID hit 3rd QB in a row? EEK!" :mrgreen:

- Love is not gonna get a super high grade due to some misses, but the dude was poised, had no trouble managing the huddle and LOS, looked defenders off, had zero risky throws. Veteran stuff. Actually made more good decisions than good throws, which is cool, since timing with the young guns will come with XP. Shone when under pressure on key downs and RZ.

- Love seems to accept there will be mistakes due to him and his weapons being fresh, so there was no "AR evil eye" when someone messed up. Mind your business, go to next play, corrections will happen in film room.

- Reed and Musgrave had their share of mistakes, but both get open. :beer2: Comparing Amari with Reed is night and day. The latter is the exact blend of quick and shifty we need. Musgrave just has exceptional movement skills and speed. And the will to block. If we solved slot and pass catching TE in one draft, that would be one helluva draft. But wait:

- Gutey seems to be hitting on D, too. Van Ness: sack that not many guys his size make, plus overall goodness. Brooks: Sack. Wooden: how do you even get 4 pressures outta a 4th round DL in his first game? STs: Kicker perfect. :clap:

- Give LaFleur some credit for getting the O to work without WR1.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
11 Sep 2023 11:12
your right, and this is the first time I've seen this view, If Musgrave does that again we should cut him. and Love needs to hold onto the snap.
I'd rather not cut the seam-splitting rookie TE, but yes, that was his fault and yes, he has some things to clean up.

Musgrave has not played a ton of high-level football. He missed time in college with a major injury. That he plays TE and is vastly inexperienced should mean he's not ready to make an impact, but his effort and pure skills are enough to affect the game even when he's not targeted. We saw it early in the game on a 3rd down conversion when he cleared the middle of the field running deep and we hit a crosser underneath him. AND he had 50 yards receiving in his first game.

He'll get better at the catch point with more and better coaching and experience. Maybe his ball tracking will always be a bit clumsy. But he's serving a cool purpose for us right away, which is more than anyone can hope for from a rookie TE.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
11 Sep 2023 11:22
This is nuts. Jones was a 4.55 guy coming out. He's always been EXPLOSIVE but top speed was never his thing.

Someone in the game thread said this is the fastest they've seen Jones look and I agreed. But I didn't know it would get this far.

Maybe keep it under 21 mph for the hammy, Jonesy.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Sep 2023 11:05
BF004 wrote:
11 Sep 2023 11:02
Thank the LORD! Keep the pressure on!
Pretty sure Barry drew something cool up: Some of the stunts led to athletic rushers arriving at the edge at the time when Fields normally would probably take off. The rusher had a pretty good angle to Fields. It was kind of a novel way to contain the edge with a running QB. Glad we didn't just do "everyone just power rush and contain your lanes".

With all the athleticism in this defensive front, should be fun to do different plans vs different opponents.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

some of this is just young pass catchers and inexperienced QB. When they get this together it should be pretty fun. But overall they made more plays than they missed. We can do that against lesser teams and take the W and hope we get the learning taken care of before we hit the good teams.

Some of those plays would have been Hurts to ABrown would have been TD's LOL MOstly because Brown is that good.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Musgrave seems fast but goofy. Seems to trip over his own feet a lot. Hopefully he cleans that up.

Snapping the ball with 3-5 seconds left is great. No complaints about that ever. The problem is snapping it with two or less seconds, looking rushed when you do snap it, and once or twice a game needing to TO to avoid a penalty.

Those are very different scenarios
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23