Week 4 Post-Game: Lions 34 Packers 20

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Sep 2023 14:15
Yoop wrote:
29 Sep 2023 12:52

no way, that play was dead from the start, half the defenders flowed to stop it, Loves late pitch set Jones up for the hit he took
image.png

Jones has leverage on all but the CB and Deguara is in position to block the CB. Deguara misses. The play could have worked had Deguara not whiffed. The pitch is right when it needs to be as it sucks down the lead defender.
I re-watched that play several times for two reasons. First, because Jones took a hell of a shot and I was both worried about Jones' health and a bit shocked to see a DB make a hit like that as we don't see our DBs make tackles like that too often.

The other reason I re-watched the play several times was because I tried to comprehend exactly what Degaura was doing or trying to do on that play. In the end, I concluded Degaura just did not have the ability to get to where he needed to be to make the block.

So, long way of saying that in my opinion, even if the design of the play was sound, counting upon Degaura to make that block was a mistake. Degaura struggles as an in-iine blocker and seems to struggle even more while trying to block in space.

Degaura has a been a square peg the team has been trying to force into a round hole since he was drafted. He is just not that big or physical. I doubt he returns in 2024.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Sep 2023 10:56
Is Gutey good at his job? The cap has been mismanaged. You have an entire draft class in 2020 not playing well. 3 picks went into the Oline in 2022, 2021, and 2020 they have very little depth.

A ton of resources have gone into the defense, specifically into the front and LBs yet they get run over week after week. Our entire 2018 draft class was let walk except Alexander.

And we wonder why we don’t look competitive in these games.
I don't think the cap was mismanaged at all. I think he went all in to try to win one at the end of the Rodgers era, so he kicked the can down the road as long as he could and this is the year that the bill comes due.

I think the single greatest failure of this staff for the past 4 years was not firing Maurice Drayton midseason in 2021. We fix that problem (which was obvious to every single fan), we don't lose to SF, we likely beat LA, we likely beat CIN, and this front office suddenly looks a lot better in terms of the decisions they have made.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

no way, that play was dead from the start, half the defenders flowed to stop it, Loves late pitch set Jones up for the hit he took
image.png

Jones has leverage on all but the CB and Deguara is in position to block the CB. Deguara misses. The play could have worked had Deguara not whiffed. The pitch is right when it needs to be as it sucks down the lead defender.
no, I have to disagree, your relying on Jones somehow beating the other two, and I don't see how you think Jones has the leverage battle wrapped up.

I'll state it again, since you didn't address it, and I know you see it right along with me, how often have you seen Love throw his receivers into bone jarring hits? imo probably a third of his passes, I know on most it's do it or suffer the consequences, most bad or worse, still I hate seeing the abuse the receivers have taken, or that ill advised flip to a already wounded Jones last night, obviously Lafleur gets a portion here, he calls the plays, but thats another issue.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
29 Sep 2023 14:53
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

image.png

no, I have to disagree, your relying on Jones somehow beating the other two, and I don't see how you think Jones has the leverage battle wrapped up.
Yes I am relying on Jones to beat the other 2 defenders and he already has outside leverage on them by the height of the numbers. Deguara whiffs when it could have been a big play.

Your other paragraph is irrelevant to this option play and full of incorrect statements.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Willink
Reactions:

Post by Willink »

:thwap: just need yakety sax

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I have no idea how Newman made the 53 or is playing ahead of Rhyan. I would rather trot out some random IOL on another team's practice squad than him.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Sep 2023 15:03
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

image.png

Yes I am relying on Jones to beat the other 2 defenders and he already has outside leverage on them by the height of the numbers. Deguara whiffs when it could have been a big play.

Your other paragraph is irrelevant to this option play and full of incorrect statements.
outside leverage :rotf: Jones had no where to go, that play was doomed the minute LOve started to the right, the defenders out numbered the blocking right away.

Love had a gap, he simply ran past it, should have kept it himself, instead the flip has Jones on the side line, and the passes that also in danger his receivers never happen, ya I just made that up. :roll:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
29 Sep 2023 15:20
Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Sep 2023 15:03
Yoop wrote:

outside leverage :rotf: Jones had no where to go, that play was doomed the minute LOve started to the right, the defenders out numbered the blocking right away.

Love had a gap, he simply ran past it, should have kept it himself, instead the flip has Jones on the side line
If Daguara picks up his block, yes Jones has the sideline.

image.png
image.png (1.1 MiB) Viewed 5636 times
No gap here. He has to threaten the run and pitch the option to Jones. We needed that 1 block and didn't get it.

Again, you are trying to throw things in that have nothing to do with this play...

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yeah, the unit was down a couple starters Thursday night but this is ridiculous.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I don’t necessarily subscribed to the “MLF isn’t a leader” narrative but I do love Dan Campbell and his style as HC. This is reminiscent of the McCarthy days and “we’re nobodies underdog”.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Scott4Pack wrote:
29 Sep 2023 14:14
Andy Herman showed the result of one play where we had THREE OLinemen on their butts. Three! Butts to the grass.

Unless the Lions' D was on some kind of super-steroid, this shows a lack of motivation by these guys. Do they have no pride?

I know there were plays where our defensive front also got knocked down. We were manhandled on both sides. Can't play NFL football like this.
They may have pride but not much athleticism.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

LombardiTime wrote:
29 Sep 2023 14:32
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

image.png

I re-watched that play several times for two reasons. First, because Jones took a hell of a shot and I was both worried about Jones' health and a bit shocked to see a DB make a hit like that as we don't see our DBs make tackles like that too often.

The other reason I re-watched the play several times was because I tried to comprehend exactly what Degaura was doing or trying to do on that play. In the end, I concluded Degaura just did not have the ability to get to where he needed to be to make the block.

So, long way of saying that in my opinion, even if the design of the play was sound, counting upon Degaura to make that block was a mistake. Degaura struggles as an in-iine blocker and seems to struggle even more while trying to block in space.

Degaura has a been a square peg the team has been trying to force into a round hole since he was drafted. He is just not that big or physical. I doubt he returns in 2024.
I hope he doesn't return in 2024. I'd rather we concentrate on developing our 2 rookie TEs from here on out.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

APB wrote:
30 Sep 2023 08:59
Yeah, the unit was down a couple starters Thursday night but this is ridiculous.

This porous line of ours is shockingly poor. Is it scheme, coaching or poor players? Or all 3? I don't know what we can do to fix this short of making a trade. But other teams will hang onto their decent linemen and it would cost us dearly in other players and/or draft capital.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

APB wrote:

A month ago we were bragging about how it was so unfair that GB had such great depth on the OLine.

Sigh. On paper…
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Scott4Pack wrote:
01 Oct 2023 11:19
APB wrote:

A month ago we were bragging about how it was so unfair that GB had such great depth on the OLine.

Sigh. On paper…
They had good depth at OT. They never had any depth what so ever at C or OG.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
01 Oct 2023 11:21
Scott4Pack wrote:
01 Oct 2023 11:19
APB wrote:

Sigh. On paper…
They had good depth at OT. They never had any depth what so ever at C or OG.
ahh is Nijman or Walker great depth? Toms was obviously, course he struggled against Detroit to, but Detroit seems better at rushing the QB then anyone we faced so far, still .

hard to figure how Newman is still on the roster, and if Ryans isn't ready to lend a hand, maybe a higher drafted OL man, one who is more ready to play should have been our choice.

I still see a need pick to replace Bakhtiari and improvement at G and C in this up coming draft.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Detroit with a bunch of no names on the DL kicked our ass week 18 last year too. We were healthier then.

It’s not even a Royce Newman thing, it sure doesn’t help. It’s all attitude and effort and motivation where we lacked. Kudos to Detroit, they really got out number right now, living rent free in our heads.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
01 Oct 2023 12:03
Detroit with a bunch of no names on the DL kicked our ass week 18 last year too. We were healthier then.

It’s not even a Royce Newman thing, it sure doesn’t help. It’s all attitude and effort and motivation where we lacked. Kudos to Detroit, they really got out number right now, living rent free in our heads.
Since we lost that proverbial 2015 Lambeau game, I do believe the Lions have been the most successful team vs us in our division in that time.

I can't confirm in the win-loss record but even that would be misleading as the Packers won a few games in that time that I think we would all admit we were lucky to pull away the victory
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »